• 5,902 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:32

Alonso doesn't do that?

Advertisement

#352 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 186 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:44

This guy really should learn how to respect his competitors. It really irks me every now and then he raises his fist to the car ahead to oblige him to pass :confused:

#353 Junky

Junky

• 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:54

His father just confirmed a couple minutes ago that he will be Mclaren driver in 2013!

#354 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 193 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:08

how very interesting :stoned:

#355 showtime

showtime

• 2,583 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:08

His father just confirmed a couple minutes ago that he will be Mclaren driver in 2013!

He seems a nice guy but I can't wish him luck driving for McLaren. He will have a good chance of winning races and fight for the WDC next season though.

#356 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 421 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:12

Where, linky linky please!

#357 SR388

SR388

• 2,971 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:15

If true he will be the first North American in a McLaren since Michael Andretti.

#358 Junky

Junky

• 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:22

Where, linky linky please!

https://twitter.com/MEXICOPEREZ

Sergio's father twitter. He obviously speaks in spanish, but as portuguese I understand it. He said "YA FIRMO HOY.MANANA SERA NOTICIA" which means "He signed today. Tomorrow will be the announcement"

#359 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 421 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:24

Wow, just wow!

Thanks Junky =)

Advertisement

#360 discover23

discover23

• 2,583 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:28

It does not say Mclaren..
I don't like a Latin driver in Mclaren. He is going to have a hard time adjusting unless he blows Button out of the water from the beginning.

#361 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:30

wow, so next year we gonna see if he is too inexperienced to drive for a top team or not!

#362 Junky

Junky

• 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:39

wow, so next year we gonna see if he is too inexperienced to drive for a top team or not!

That was just an argument for Ferrari. I really think that Vettel will be in Maranello by 2014. That is why they will stay with Felipe for 2013. I don't think Perez, with a McLaren multiple-year contract in his hands, would accept to be Ferrari driver for just 1 year.

#363 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:40

It does not say Mclaren..
I don't like a Latin driver in Mclaren. He is going to have a hard time adjusting unless he blows Button out of the water from the beginning.

Because of his Latin-ness.?

#364 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:46

That was just an argument for Ferrari. I really think that Vettel will be in Maranello by 2014. That is why they will stay with Felipe for 2013. I don't think Perez, with a McLaren multiple-year contract in his hands, would accept to be Ferrari driver for just 1 year.

i too believe that, but they could have signed Perez for 1 year long ago, before he had any talk with McLaren.

anyway will be interesting seeing how well/bad Sergio does and how dumb or not Ferrari will look, especially if they don't sign Vettel to 2014.

#365 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:13

Im pretty confident this will happen too. Massa is staying to make way for Vettel a year later. Perez would either have to wait until Alonso retires so he could go to Ferrari or accept a deal with Mclaren (which is a done deal apparently). In the end if he's good at Mclaren, no reason why he wont drive for both Mclaren and Ferrari in his career.

#366 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:17

If Alonso is staying until 2016, why would Vettel go there in 2014?

#367 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,902 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:21

Ferrari has two cars.

#368 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:26

:eek: :eek: :eek: No shit! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#369 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:27

:up: Excellent signing. :clap:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 28 September 2012 - 04:28.

#370 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:52

Ferrari has two cars.

:lol: :up:

#371 Junky

Junky

• 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:50

Im pretty confident this will happen too. Massa is staying to make way for Vettel a year later. Perez would either have to wait until Alonso retires so he could go to Ferrari or accept a deal with Mclaren (which is a done deal apparently). In the end if he's good at Mclaren, no reason why he wont drive for both Mclaren and Ferrari in his career.

That's exactly what I think! It is a fantastic career move by Checo!

Edited by Junky, 28 September 2012 - 05:50.

#372 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:53

Checo will do well at McLaren. I only hope that somehow Jo Ramirez would get involved to be there for him... to get to know McLaren´s weird people.

#373 bogi

bogi

• 2,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:35

Because of his Latin-ness.?

Maybe sombrero?

#374 Coral

Coral

• 2,556 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:48

Good move for Perez. I think he will do well at McLaren. :)

#375 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,288 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:04

If he goes to McLaren - he will suddenly have a lot more support around here I think. That may be like Kimi all over again, being among a majority who support a driver - only online instead of in bars. I rather expected it would be like my Vettel experience - maybe it still will be since nothing appears to be official yet.

No matter - I support drivers. I don't really care what team they drive for.

#376 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:01

With Telmex becoming seemingly replacing Vodafone as a sponsor at McLaren. With a certain Carlos Slim backing up Checo it does not take a genius which talented driver might get a free seat at a top team.

All in all he holds now pretty much all the cards to become a regular front-runner over the next years. Good luck Checo!

Edited by H2H, 28 September 2012 - 08:07.

#377 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:05

I am very happy with him.

When he arrived to F1, I thought he was another paid driver, similar to Maldonado at the time, and he was there only because of his financial backing.

After his first race, when he not only got fruits from a very complicated strategy, but also made his rather hyped teammate look "ordinary" I started changing my mind about him.

This season, scoring more podiums than the second Ferrari, in a team that was on the brink of collapse not long ago is just the tip of the iceberg for him. He has room for improvement: he is not as fast as he should in qualy, and we still have to see him attacking from the word "GO", but now he has the tools to try and learn. And with Button on his side (the driver who managed what Alonso couldn't: beat Hamilton!), Checo is now in a great place to develop and grow.

Good luck to him!

#378 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:30

I started this thread when he scored points in his maiden GP, expecting great things from him.

Now he's going to McLaren, but frankly, he has not entirely lived up to my expectations. He drives great on occasion, but not as consistently as I thought he would.

#379 Oho

Oho

• 7,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:31

Ferrari has two cars.

Well yeah but ...

Advertisement

#380 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:33

I started this thread when he scored points in his maiden GP, expecting great things from him.

Now he's going to McLaren, but frankly, he has not entirely lived up to my expectations. He drives great on occasion, but not as consistently as I thought he would.

True...
But can you remember a race on which Kobayashi has categorically outraced him? I think he has made lots of small mistakes, his pace is not consistent throughout the GP, etc, etc; but it is improving. And now, he has a car+team that can give him the means to give the step forward he needs.
Whether he can make that happen is a different story, but I think that the early signs are encouraging.

#381 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:34

New Driver to support.

If i could have picked anyone from the grid it would have been Checo.

#382 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:41

True...
But can you remember a race on which Kobayashi has categorically outraced him? I think he has made lots of small mistakes, his pace is not consistent throughout the GP, etc, etc; but it is improving. And now, he has a car+team that can give him the means to give the step forward he needs.
Whether he can make that happen is a different story, but I think that the early signs are encouraging.

All true. And in any event, now is a time for conratulations. Bravo, Checo! Wishing you the best at McLaren!

#383 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 4,938 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47

Congrats Checo !! Do well, do very well.

#384 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:48

I'm very happy for the guy!

#385 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,718 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:00

Great for Perez, he will do well in a fast McLaren.

Great for McLaren as well to rid themselves of their Hamilton related distractions and soap opera like troubles, they should now be able to focus on building even faster cars especially if Perez brings Telmex as a sponsor.

Perez and McLaren come out big winners on this deal. Hamilton, Schumacher and Mercedes not so much.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 28 September 2012 - 21:31.

#386 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:05

I hope he can get a win in the Sauber this year before he heads off to the mighty Mac.
Peter deserves it. :up:

#387 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:09

Good for Perez. I really like the guy. Best of luck to him.

#388 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,754 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:21

Yep, smart move by McLaren and best of luck to Perez.

#389 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,934 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:22

Very happy for Checo. I hope he does very well next year so LDM can see what a mistake he made by letting him go somewhere else. Damn shame for Ferrari. But he's a good driver and I think being in a top car will take him to the next level for sure.

#390 rijole1

rijole1

• 625 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:22

With Telmex becoming seemingly replacing Vodafone as a sponsor at McLaren. With a certain Carlos Slim backing up Checo it does not take a genius which talented driver might get a free seat at a top team.

All in all he holds now pretty much all the cards to become a regular front-runner over the next years. Good luck Checo!

Yeah, he has a lot of talent - and a straight flush

So, now it's only Red Bull of the top teams which is not having a pay driver.  ;)
It's kind of sad...

#391 discover23

discover23

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:26

F1: Perez Was Mercedes’ ‘Plan B’ After Hamilton - Report
Sergio Perez was considered for Michael Schumacher's seat at Mercedes...

http://formula-one.s...amilton-report/

#392 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 217 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:39

Yeah, he has a lot of talent - and a straight flush

So, now it's only Red Bull of the top teams which is not having a pay driver. ;)
It's kind of sad...

Telmex is not part of the deal, Sergio Perez is not bringing any money.

#393 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,437 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:24

Very happy for Checo. I hope he does very well next year so LDM can see what a mistake he made by letting him go somewhere else. Damn shame for Ferrari. But he's a good driver and I think being in a top car will take him to the next level for sure.

I'm happy for him as well, but I dont think it was a mistake letting him go. He has a hard time beating Kobayashi most weekends and I think Button will be a tougher teammate than that. I dont think he's gonna nearly as well as everybody is hyping him to do. It'll be interesting to see how he does the rest of this season at Sauber now that all eyes are on him. I think his mediocrity most weekends has been getting overlooked, but he wont be able to hide from that now and especially when he's in a top car.

#394 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,902 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:22

He has a hard time beating Kobayashi most weekends

Yes I'm sure that he's trying hard to do so but are you suggesting that he is struggling to do so? I checked the points and unless I'm missing part of the story it doesn't appear that way.

#395 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,739 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:21

I'm happy for him as well, but I dont think it was a mistake letting him go. He has a hard time beating Kobayashi most weekends and I think Button will be a tougher teammate than that. I dont think he's gonna nearly as well as everybody is hyping him to do. It'll be interesting to see how he does the rest of this season at Sauber now that all eyes are on him. I think his mediocrity most weekends has been getting overlooked, but he wont be able to hide from that now and especially when he's in a top car.

I hope he can get a win in the Sauber this year before he heads off to the mighty Mac.
Peter deserves it. :up:

Strangely, I agree with both of you....

I think that Macca will iron out SP's inconsistency .... and in Formula Pirelli his skill with the tyres will be a bonus ... but I am not convinced that he has that final tenth needed to be a true great .... but then neither will his teammate so it will be a very interesting battle of the "tyre whisperers".

Looking into my crystal ball...JB to beat the newbie through consistency in 2013 ... but it gets cloudy after that.

Edited by jjcale, 02 October 2012 - 17:27.

#396 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 20:28

Yes I'm sure that he's trying hard to do so but are you suggesting that he is struggling to do so? I checked the points and unless I'm missing part of the story it doesn't appear that way.

I follow Sauber very closely as I've been a fan of theirs for years except the BMW period.

Both drivers I have to say have been disappointing this season, very inconsistent and making far too many mistakes.

Perez however is regularly outqualified by Kobayashi and the gap is often several tenths. Too often Perez fails to make an impression in Q2 while Kobayashi reaches Q3 regularly. Since (and including) Barcelona Perez has only reached Q3 twice. Given how good the car is in the right conditions I think its fair to say a top driver would be able to qualify better than that.

He's been very fortunate in that in two single stop races he's been able to pull off the hard then soft strategy while others went on the soft then hard route to his advantage. And Malaysia of course. However on two stop or more races or when he's on a conventional strategy he's rarely able to outrace either his teammate or other midfield drivers.

When have you seen him in a 'normal' race and gone wow, he's taking that car where it shouldn't be?

At McLaren he will not be able to resort to alternative strategies, it will be expected that he's at the sharp end every session and I think he's going to be found out.

#397 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,815 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:30

At McLaren he will not be able to resort to alternative strategies, it will be expected that he's at the sharp end every session and I think he's going to be found out.

At Mclaren he will be tested and scrutinized from day one. In a top car you have to qualify on the first or second row regardless of whether the car is good or not, anything lower than that is failure. I hope he will be able to handle the pressure. Qualifying is certainly an area he must excel in because at the top grid position is worth gold on circuits where overtaking opportunities are non-existent and the car ahead just a notch slower.

Perez will need to pull victories like Vettel did in Barcelona last year when he held back Lewis for an entire race or Lewis in Hungary where he resisted the Lotuses. There are great challenges ahead for Perez but he's got a good foundation and is worthy of a try in a top car.

#398 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,902 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:53

Qualifying can be improved upon. Pastor qualifies well and then makes a mess of the race, never heard his name mentioned as a replacement possibility.

#399 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,160 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:40

According to Autosprint Ferrari didn't take Perez because he was too slow on direct test compared to Bianchi when they tested together with 2009 Ferrari F60, Bianchi was 0,437 seconds faster than Perez.

Advertisement

#400 Junky

Junky

• 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47

According to Autosprint Ferrari didn't take Perez because he was too slow on direct test compared to Bianchi when they tested together with 2009 Ferrari F60, Bianchi was 0,437 seconds faster than Perez.

So they expect Bianchi to be faster than Pérez once he earns a place in the grid? :cool: