* * * - - 7 votes

Sergio Perez

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
497 replies to this topic

#401 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:48

According to Autosprint Ferrari didn't take Perez because he was too slow on direct test compared to Bianchi when they tested together with 2009 Ferrari F60, Bianchi was 0,437 seconds faster than Perez.

And when Bianchi joins, he will have at least 2 years less experience than Perez. Would be nice to see where Ferrari puts him given Sauber has all manner of driver offers for 2013.

Advertisement

#402 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:37

According to Autosprint Ferrari didn't take Perez because he was too slow on direct test compared to Bianchi when they tested together with 2009 Ferrari F60, Bianchi was 0,437 seconds faster than Perez.

And even though McLaren had access to the times as well, they simply ignored them and went to sign a proven slow driver...

#403 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:50

And even though McLaren had access to the times as well, they simply ignored them and went to sign a proven slow driver...

Well its not 'proven', but if you dont impress in a test, its not going to go over well with a possible future employer.

We'll see next year if Mclaren made a mistake or not.

#404 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:55

Well its not 'proven', but if you dont impress in a test, its not going to go over well with a possible future employer.

We'll see next year if Mclaren made a mistake or not.

I agree there... being slow in a test is not a good sign.
However, given that the times at tests are available, McLaren DID have access to them and yet decided to ignore them...
Looks "strange" in my opinion. But, as you said, we'll see next year.

#405 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:08

Ferrari have more information than McLaren. I dont think Perez is that great. Even I thought he would be the next Messiah but having studied his face more closely. I can see him being another Heiki. Button would completely destroy him.

#406 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 217 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:24

Ferrari have more information than McLaren. I dont think Perez is that great. Even I thought he would be the next Messiah but having studied his face more closely. I can see him being another Heiki. Button would completely destroy him.

So can you tell us next year champion by looking at their faces? did Prost nose had anythng to do with his speed ? I knew Mansell moustache gave him an advantage.

#407 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,853 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:39

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Do you read tea leaves as well?

#408 loki0420

loki0420

• 392 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:47

The test was overseen by Ferrari Driver Academy Head Luca Baldisseri.
“Today we followed two different programmes with Perez and Bianchi,” he said.

Which already describe this assumption as crap. Thats apart from it being Perez first ever test for Ferrari and Bianchi had been there for a while already.

#409 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:56

So can you tell us next year champion by looking at their faces? did Prost nose had anythng to do with his speed ? I knew Mansell moustache gave him an advantage.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Do you read tea leaves as well?

Ooooh stop guys, stop please! My stomach hurts! :rotfl: :lol: :clap: :p

#410 swerved

swerved

• 3,500 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:12

He does have a fast face though, and they're easy to spot.

Posted Image

#411 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:15

The test was overseen by Ferrari Driver Academy Head Luca Baldisseri.

Which already describe this assumption as crap. Thats apart from it being Perez first ever test for Ferrari and Bianchi had been there for a while already.

Its possible the Autosprint comment is completely wrong, but being on different programs doesn't mean they couldn't compare the two drivers properly.

Edited by Seanspeed, 03 October 2012 - 14:15.

#412 discover23

discover23

• 2,562 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:34

Its possible the Autosprint comment is completely wrong, but being on different programs doesn't mean they couldn't compare the two drivers properly.

I know you don't rate Perez, but if I were you I would simply wait until next year to make a proper assessment - you may be surprised.

#413 loki0420

loki0420

• 392 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:41

The whole idea of measuring drivers capabilities basing on half day running a year ago and one of them being unfamiliar with the car seem so ridicilous to me that i don't understand those who take it seriously.

#414 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,840 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:42

Or maybe Bianchi program was "less favourable" to make quick times, and despite that, Bianchi was faster than Perez.

#415 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:49

I know you don't rate Perez, but if I were you I would simply wait until next year to make a proper assessment - you may be surprised.

I rate him. Maybe just not as much as others do. And I dont see why I should have to wait to make an assessment of him. He's been in F1 a couple years now and I've been following him even before that. Things can always change and people can always surprise, but it wont stop me from stopping and saying what I think of things at the moment.

The whole idea of measuring drivers capabilities basing on half day running a year ago and one of them being unfamiliar with the car seem so ridicilous to me that i don't understand those who take it seriously.

I highly doubt any decision would have been made based on that one day alone, but it could have played a part. Teams look for things other than just pure laptimes when testing out young drivers as well.

You could be right, though. It does seem a bit of a sensationalist comment to make on the surface.

Edited by Seanspeed, 03 October 2012 - 14:51.

#416 Collective

Collective

• 1,056 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 16:07

Considering Bianchi had many Kms in both the car and the track, he raced later in the day presumably with higher temperature, and had the car for 24 more laps than Sergio, I would guess the time difference is not ridiculous.

#417 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 217 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:21

Considering Bianchi had many Kms in both the car and the track, he raced later in the day presumably with higher temperature, and had the car for 24 more laps than Sergio, I would guess the time difference is not ridiculous.

He is a Mclaren driver now , so the data from a test a year ago in an old Ferrari is meaningless . I guess Mclaren value more the performance in races that tests.

#418 swerved

swerved

• 3,500 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:11

A nice welcome for Sergio, McLaren pulling out all the stops :lol:

“I’m not anally retentive, I’m just saying that if every Nacho in Paragon isn’t the exact same surface dimension as this Dairy Lee cheese triangle I am going to stab Sergio with my Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu mechanical pencil,” Dennis commented.

“And don’t let me even smell a burrito. You know how hard it is to get blood out of these volcanic basalt floor tiles from when Fernando was here.”

http://www.pitflaps....o-requirements/

#419 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,371 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11

Luca Baldisseri:

“Sergio impressed, despite this being his first time at the wheel of a Ferrari. He proved to be aggressive and quick right from the start and was able to adapt to the car in a very short space of time. He is very mature for his age, displaying an understanding that goes beyond the time he has spent driving single-seaters.

“With Bianchi, who has been with us since last year, we used a car fitted with special sensors to study the correlation between the car on track and the simulator: many of his laps were what I’d call ‘interlocutory’ because the main aim of them was to acquire data.”

http://www.f1fanatic...e-ferrari-test/

BTW I thought he was impressive if perhaps a little out of his depth early on, this year I think he's shown even more, I did not expect Ferrari to let him go, and still can't see Bianchi promoted to a race seat there. Who knows, there will be a free seat at Sauber.

It's all meaningless now, driving for a top team is the ultimate proving ground.

Advertisement

#420 flavio81

flavio81

• 88 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:27

Of course, the crooked nose and the moustache are cloaked aerodynamic devices. Mansell and Prost had this unfair advantage on their faces.

#421 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,418 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:36

It's all meaningless now, driving for a top team is the ultimate proving ground.

Unless you've only ever driven in a top team - in which case driving for a midfield team is the ultimate proving ground.  ;)

#422 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:43

And when Bianchi joins, he will have at least 2 years less experience than Perez. Would be nice to see where Ferrari puts him given Sauber has all manner of driver offers for 2013.

The F60 was a bag of shit, and Bianchi was probably 2 seconds faster than Fisi, but was he better? Certainly not. All I hear are excuses as to why Perez signed with McLaren.

#423 Peat

Peat

• 1,143 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30

Telmex have confirmed that they are staying with Sauber. That gives the nod to Guitierez, surely?

#424 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:30

A gem from last year

#425 OSX

OSX

• 4,058 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:43

Sergio Perez Aims to Win Title for McLaren
4 October 2012

Posted Image

It is difficult to tell if Sergio Pérez bats an eyelid when asked whether he expects to be world champion during his first season with McLaren next year. Sauber’s 22-year-old Mexican wears big black sunglasses throughout our interview in Suzuka, even though we are sitting indoors.

It is not the only sign that McLaren have signed one cool hombre to replace Lewis Hamilton.

Pérez, or “Checo” as he is more commonly known, is unbelievably laid-back. Less Speedy Gonzales, more Kimi Raikkonen. His answers, mostly delivered deadpan with a slight drawl, betray no hint of nerves at the prospect of the pressure-cooker environment awaiting him at Woking.

Full Article: Telegraph.co.uk/Sergio-Perez-aims-to-win-title-for-McLaren

#426 flavio81

flavio81

• 88 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:37

Sergio Perez Aims to Win Title for McLaren

Go for it Sergio!!

Pérez, or “Checo” as he is more commonly known, is unbelievably laid-back. Less Speedy Gonzales, more Kimi Raikkonen.

Great, we need more Kimi-type drivers on the grid (people who speak no BS and let the driving to the talking) and less you-know-who-type drivers...

#427 flavio81

flavio81

• 88 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:38

A gem from last year

HAHAHHAHAAHA!!! :lol:

#428 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 542 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:08

This is an interesting thread and good questions are raised about how well Sergio will perform. That said, who else could McLaren go for? The established drivers are all taken, any openings at this point require a gamble on unproven talent. Among the alternatives who seemed better? There are drawbacks to all the choices, but Sergio seems to have the most upside, especially in terms of race performance, which is what matters the most. Out of Grosjean, Kovalainen, Kobayashi, di Resta, Hulkenburg, Riccardo, Verne and Pic who makes a more compelling case as McLaren material, and why?

This thread has spent a lot of time hashing out the case for an against Sergio, but who honestly looked a better choice?

#429 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,302 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:18

This is an interesting thread and good questions are raised about how well Sergio will perform. That said, who else could McLaren go for? The established drivers are all taken, any openings at this point require a gamble on unproven talent. Among the alternatives who seemed better? There are drawbacks to all the choices, but Sergio seems to have the most upside, especially in terms of race performance, which is what matters the most. Out of Grosjean, Kovalainen, Kobayashi, di Resta, Hulkenburg, Riccardo, Verne and Pic who makes a more compelling case as McLaren material, and why?

This thread has spent a lot of time hashing out the case for an against Sergio, but who honestly looked a better choice?

Well, the argument is that durr hurr there is tier one drivers and tier two drivers and never the twain shall meet so McLaren should have taken Kimi back, however McLaren took an even bigger gamble on Kimi the first time as he had 0 podiums on the board before 2002, and Hanilton, who had 0 F1 races. The only way you find another top driver is to give them a top car. If they Massa or Heikki up the place, then lesson learned and you move on. Thus far the two big risks, Kimi and Lewis, worked better for McLaren than their drivers with a prior reputation, Alonso and Montoya.

Everyone probably talked up the bad side of Hamilton before 2007, because he took the seat that could have gone to X, Y or Z they support.

#430 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,755 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 21:23

Well, the argument is that durr hurr there is tier one drivers and tier two drivers and never the twain shall meet so McLaren should have taken Kimi back, however McLaren took an even bigger gamble on Kimi the first time as he had 0 podiums on the board before 2002, and Hanilton, who had 0 F1 races. The only way you find another top driver is to give them a top car. If they Massa or Heikki up the place, then lesson learned and you move on. Thus far the two big risks, Kimi and Lewis, worked better for McLaren than their drivers with a prior reputation, Alonso and Montoya.

Everyone probably talked up the bad side of Hamilton before 2007, because he took the seat that could have gone to X, Y or Z they support.

Pretty much. You've got to speculate to accumulate!

Really looking forward to neat year, I've got high hopes for him. I just wish more top teams did the same and had a mixed experience pairing (n.b. not mixed ability).

#431 drag

drag

• 117 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 00:13

Checo is good choice for Mclaren.Why Ferrari let him go ?? its clear they pick someone who they rate more.....lets wait who`s the chosen one :) my bet Hulk

#432 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:38

Go for it Sergio!!

Great, we need more Kimi-type drivers on the grid (people who speak no BS and let the driving to the talking) and less you-know-who-type drivers...

who?

Edited by Mr.Wayne, 07 October 2012 - 15:23.

#433 fed up

fed up

• 1,920 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:39

average performance today. he'll have to raise his game next year

#434 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,541 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:48

Perez' moves on Hamilton today were banzai at best. He could have taken both himself and Hamiton out with those moves. Crazy stuff!

Think he is suffering from I replaced you so I have to beat you syndrome.

#435 Collective

Collective

• 1,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:21

Perez' moves on Hamilton today were banzai at best. He could have taken both himself and Hamiton out with those moves. Crazy stuff!

He'll need to tame that aggression for sure. Bad mistake.

#436 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:44

Not a great race today with an opportunistic overtake of Hamilton but then a bit over-eager on the second time around. Still, he's only 22 and in his second year of F1, he'll learn.

Classy response from Hamilton though patronising Perez :rolleyes: - http://in.reuters.co...E89603Z20121007 - Came across more like he wants to dig the knife in any chance he gets.

#437 g1n

g1n

• 863 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:54

Classy response from Hamilton though patronising Perez :rolleyes: - http://in.reuters.co...E89603Z20121007 - Came across more like he wants to dig the knife in any chance he gets.

Which is ironic, considering that Hamilton often does those stabs up the inside, Brundle even commented on it after Perez overtook Hamilton.

#438 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,653 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:00

Not just Hamilton but Raikkonen as well, and it does appear to confirm what many have said that while seeming to fly when on an alternative strategy, when forced to actually race drivers on on the same tyres he seems to struggle in wheel to wheel situations. He clearly had a very fast car underneath him, couldn't make it count and ultimately lost it, and unfortunately his team mate actually managed to catch a break and grab that podium he has been threatening to get since Canada 2011. Lack of race craft does not go well with a lack of qualifying pace, but he's still young with ample chance to improve...

#439 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,541 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:22

Not just Hamilton but Raikkonen as well, and it does appear to confirm what many have said that while seeming to fly when on an alternative strategy, when forced to actually race drivers on on the same tyres he seems to struggle in wheel to wheel situations. He clearly had a very fast car underneath him, couldn't make it count and ultimately lost it, and unfortunately his team mate actually managed to catch a break and grab that podium he has been threatening to get since Canada 2011. Lack of race craft does not go well with a lack of qualifying pace, but he's still young with ample chance to improve...

I'm really far from convinced about Perez. I think McLaren have made a mistake... I'm not going to complain though.

Advertisement

#440 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:52

I dont know how he didnt clear Raikkonen who was stuck behind slow cars and actually dropped behind Hamilton

Very poor inlap

Edited by tarmac, 07 October 2012 - 19:53.

#441 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,402 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:03

I'm not having a go at him for his mistake today, all drivers make mistakes from time to time, its not a biggy.

but I simply cannot get excited about this guy, I wish McLaren had signed Kamui :D

Edited by Longtimefan, 07 October 2012 - 20:04.

#442 P123

P123

• 7,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:07

I dont know how he didnt clear Raikkonen who was stuck behind slow cars and actually dropped behind Hamilton

Very poor inlap

Because his tyres went off? Either that or he made a mistake somewhere on his inlap. Hamilton took a chunk of time out of him on the lap Perez pitted, with the gap reducing to 0.8s from 1.9s.

#443 P123

P123

• 7,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:11

I'm not having a go at him for his mistake today, all drivers make mistakes from time to time, its not a biggy.

but I simply cannot get excited about this guy, I wish McLaren had signed Kamui :D

There isn't much between them. But Perez has had a greater number of stand-out perfromances (although that Sauber is no slouch of a car). Perez is also more commercially attractive than the other available drivers.

#444 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,272 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:30

I believe Perez is a champ in waiting. He makes mistakes of course, he is just a rookie and 3/4. But this is good experience for his debut in a top car.

However, even at Macca I expect he will make mistakes here and there for a while; that is normal for young drivers, even if they are superstars. In fact, their errors are usually more glaring due to that fact - but their feats are equally so.

Time will tell, but I foresee him slotting right in with the best of them.

#445 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:34

Perez was unlucky really, yes he made a mistake but Hamilton took the line he needed to take in order not to go off (at least spin and retire). That's what happens when you're on the edge.

#446 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:44

I'm really far from convinced about Perez. I think McLaren have made a mistake... I'm not going to complain though.

He is the new Montoya - expect many crashes and crazy moves.

#447 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:54

Yes, and he speaks Spanish!

Not stereotyping much, are you?

#448 mich

mich

• 107 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:24

Ferrari has good choice!
It's difficult to conclude he is new Montoya or new Alonso.
He has good race pace, but sometime show us easy mistake especially in a dog fight.
He also looses his team mate in qualifies.
But if he would beat Jenson in McLaren, there should be no doubts!
Still he would show his enough performance, Ferrari should wait to get his and choose more experienced one as a second driver of Alonso, for example Massa, Raikkonen, Webber or Kovalainen.

#449 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:04

Montoya? Huh

As for me, he is more like Raikkonen - not very good in qualification but very good in race, perfect tyres managment skills and ability to drive a heavy car.

#450 Collective

Collective

• 1,056 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:11

"You are only as good as your last race" comes to mind. Let's not go crazy over a mistake. He owned it and will hopefully learn.

At McLaren he will have to control his aggression better because the British press will be on his posterior every race.