Photo

XK120 racing in 1972

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:44

Does anybody remember an XK120 being raced in 1972 possibly in Modsports belonging, I believe, to either Hutton or Hatton?

Advertisement

#2 hamsterace

hamsterace

• 100 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:08

Does anybody remember an XK120 being raced in 1972 possibly in Modsports belonging, I believe, to either Hutton or Hatton?

Sharman,

This would have been the car of Anthony Hutton. He was a good friend of my father's as they used to race in the JCB Sports Car Series together - although I must confess the XK I mainly associate him with was not a modsports spec car but rather a "period" spec racer. I may be wrong but I think it may even have been one of the ex-works lightweight "JWK....." series cars. At the time, he was heavily involved with John Harper and campaigned various cars including Lister-Jaguars and one of the Gulf-Mirages. John certainly had a number of racing XKs of varying degrees of raciness, so perhaps it could have been one of these to which you refer?

I know there is an excellent photograph of Anthony at the wheel of the more standard XK at (I think) one of the Jaguar Drivers Club organised race meetings at Silverstone in the early 1970s. I believe they were traditionally held in March, and Anthony is driving (reluctantly?) down the pitlane with about an inch of snow on the bonnet - complete with the then obligatory open face helmet - looking distinctly non-plussed!

He was also a keen aviator (hememorably took my father up for a stomach churning flight in his Stampe Aerobatic 'plane), and I gather he is still involved in this sphere to this day.

#3 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 14:48

Sharman,

This would have been the car of Anthony Hutton. He was a good friend of my father's as they used to race in the JCB Sports Car Series together - although I must confess the XK I mainly associate him with was not a modsports spec car but rather a "period" spec racer. I may be wrong but I think it may even have been one of the ex-works lightweight "JWK....." series cars. At the time, he was heavily involved with John Harper and campaigned various cars including Lister-Jaguars and one of the Gulf-Mirages. John certainly had a number of racing XKs of varying degrees of raciness, so perhaps it could have been one of these to which you refer?

I know there is an excellent photograph of Anthony at the wheel of the more standard XK at (I think) one of the Jaguar Drivers Club organised race meetings at Silverstone in the early 1970s. I believe they were traditionally held in March, and Anthony is driving (reluctantly?) down the pitlane with about an inch of snow on the bonnet - complete with the then obligatory open face helmet - looking distinctly non-plussed!

He was also a keen aviator (hememorably took my father up for a stomach churning flight in his Stampe Aerobatic 'plane), and I gather he is still involved in this sphere to this day.

That was on the ball, i really had no idea of the car's condition or class. just knew it existed. Will PM you
JSF

#4 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 13:00

I believe that I have one or two photos of the 120 from Oulton Park, although I'll not be in "scan-mode" for a few days.

#5 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:05

I believe that I have one or two photos of the 120 from Oulton Park, although I'll not be in "scan-mode" for a few days.

Is the scan mode in operation yet?

#6 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 14:01

Is the scan mode in operation yet?

I found this on my own website!

Posted Image

You have a choice of two cars- either of them what you were looking for?

Edit- I believe that I shot this in '76.

Edited by elansprint72, 11 April 2011 - 14:03.

#7 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 15:33

Neither of the cars pictured are the Hutton car. The car in front is John Harper's and the one behind is the Oldham & Crowther run car of Martin Crowther (and later David Preece). Both cars were run in what was known as the Thoroughbred Sports Car Championship which was supposed to recreate 1950s marque sports car racing. In reality it was more of a modsports series as the cars were highly modified (the XK120s for example all had 3.8 litre motors and disc brakes for starters).

#8 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 16:06

Neither of the cars pictured are the Hutton car. The car in front is John Harper's and the one behind is the Oldham & Crowther run car of Martin Crowther (and later David Preece). Both cars were run in what was known as the Thoroughbred Sports Car Championship which was supposed to recreate 1950s marque sports car racing. In reality it was more of a modsports series as the cars were highly modified (the XK120s for example all had 3.8 litre motors and disc brakes for starters).

Thank you Dutchy, you beat me to it. I did initially mention Modsports because the car in question was associated with a driver who was competing in a Modsports E Type at that time and I thought that may be where the connection might lie. The car in question definitely belonged to Anthony Hutton who lent it out. PGY 189L is not a contemporary number and suggest a made up special. Simon has the idea of one of the JWK cars but I can't seem to connect Hutton and a specific number.

Edited by Sharman, 11 April 2011 - 16:07.

#9 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 16:16

Apologies for the red-herring shot. :blush: I can't believe that nobody on the forum can supply a photo.

#10 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 16:19

Thank you Dutchy, you beat me to it. I did initially mention Modsports because the car in question was associated with a driver who was competing in a Modsports E Type at that time and I thought that may be where the connection might lie. The car in question definitely belonged to Anthony Hutton who lent it out. PGY 189L is not a contemporary number and suggest a made up special. Simon has the idea of one of the JWK cars but I can't seem to connect Hutton and a specific number.

The out of period registration number (1972 or 73 I seem to recall) suggests that this is probably the number supplied by the vehicle licensing authority in period to an old car, in this case the lhd presumably indicates an import, they were simply not interested in giving age related registration marks to old cars in those days regardless of their origins as I discovered when I owned a British registered XK120 FHC which after various number changes was bearing a 1963 A plate by the time I bought it in the late 80s.

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:07

Simon has the idea of one of the JWK cars but I can't seem to connect Hutton and a specific number.

Nor I
In the '70s:
JWK377 was out of the country
JWK496 was in the US of A
JWK650 in Scotland
JWK651 with David Panton
JWK675 unknown
JWK977 in the north of England (having been re-registered EBN722, though it might have changed again)
JWK988 was owned by David Cottingham in 1976

#12 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 22:43

I think my friend Robin Hanauer had an ex modsport XK120, though I'm pretty sure he sold it a couple of years ago. I only saw it once in the barn and didn't really pay it much attention I'm afraid. I think it might have been red, and may even have had a GRP front end?

I'll ask him next time I'm speaking to him

#13 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:31

Pete. Had a very excited John Harper on the phone last night about your Oulton Park photo. He said it was taken in the days when he was brave, He asked me if you could supply him with a nice 10 x8 enlargement. If so could you post it to me with a bill.

#14 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:33

The reg No of Huttons 120 was GKY 907.

#15 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:03

Pete. Had a very excited John Harper on the phone last night about your Oulton Park photo. He said it was taken in the days when he was brave, He asked me if you could supply him with a nice 10 x8 enlargement. If so could you post it to me with a bill.

Ted- check PMs.

#16 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:41

The reg No of Huttons 120 was GKY 907.

Thank you Ted, the truth is out there somewhere.... :smoking:

#17 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:37

Found it!
It is living in France and owned by a Doctor of Medecine who bought it at auction on 17th April this year.