Photo

N.Z. OSCA President injured in racing accident

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:35

HI..A serious race car accident occurred last week at the Timaru Raceway N.Z. causing injuries to the OSCA President Matt Cronin..Fire was involved and his injuries could have been a lot worse..Details and amazing photos can be seen by going to......Otago Daily Times...click on Sport...then down to Driver Trapped In Burning Race Car.... Then to Slide Show 12 Photos .I am sure that we wish Matt a speedy recovery...

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:57

Here's the direct link:

http://www.odt.co.nz...-timaru-raceway

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:09

I don't want to appear rude to "ronmac", but how is this "nostalgia"? It seems to be a modern racing accident.

#4 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:14

HI..A serious race car accident occurred last week at the Timaru Raceway N.Z. causing injuries to the OSCA President Matt Cronin..Fire was involved and his injuries could have been a lot worse..Details and amazing photos can be seen by going to......Otago Daily Times...click on Sport...then down to Driver Trapped In Burning Race Car.... Then to Slide Show 12 Photos .I am sure that we wish Matt a speedy recovery...

It looked scary on the TV newsclip. But he's on the mend : Quoted as saying 'I'm still as ugly as ever and my sense of humour is intact'

see http://www.stuff.co....act-in-hospital

#5 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:37

I don't want to appear rude to "ronmac", but how is this "nostalgia"? It seems to be a modern racing accident.

Can't really question your logic, but the current President of OSCA is probably part of Nostalgia. Open Saloon Car Assn had its origins in the 1960's in NZ due to a difference between the drivers in the South and North Islands as to the future direction of saloon car racing. Much argument has ensued over the years as to who was right or wrong, some of it too heated to be nostalgia, but it still happened anyway. Ronmac(Phail) was there right at the beginning of OSCA, the Godfather you might say.

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:04

Can't really question your logic, but the current President of OSCA is probably part of Nostalgia. Open Saloon Car Assn had its origins in the 1960's in NZ due to a difference between the drivers in the South and North Islands as to the future direction of saloon car racing. Much argument has ensued over the years as to who was right or wrong, some of it too heated to be nostalgia, but it still happened anyway. Ronmac(Phail) was there right at the beginning of OSCA, the Godfather you might say.

Thanks for that explanation - we older Europeans only know OSCA as the firm founded by the Maserati brothers in Bologna in 1947.
We English also have a linguistic problem with Open Saloon Car - open cars and saloon cars are very different of course.

#7 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:22

Thanks for that explanation - we older Europeans only know OSCA as the firm founded by the Maserati brothers in Bologna in 1947.
We English also have a linguistic problem with Open Saloon Car - open cars and saloon cars are very different of course.

Happy to oblige. "Open" as in "open slather' (? that's not an Australasianism, is it?) or "Rafferty's Rules", rather than open top.

O.S.C.A. were very nice little cars, althought S.Moss's current one looks too much like a Maserati 150-200-300S for my liking.

#8 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:50

HI Tim Murray..Thank you for your assistance in forwarding the web site..

HI Wenoopy..Thank you for clearing up details about O.S.C.A...which has been operating for 40 years now with very little change to regulations..
Matt.Cronin has been doing his part in keeping the series going and while it appears that he will recover..sad that his race car is gone (kaput)
I felt that some of us would wish to see photographs of what happens..even in a recent race crash..I would not have posted the site if the
crash result was more serious..!!Thanks.

#9 CarlRabbidge

CarlRabbidge

• 152 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 18:48

As reprted in the Timaru Herald newspaper this mornings, Matt is in a stable condition and has been moved into the surgical ward.

#10 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:07

HI. Carl ..Thank you for your report..I understand that he is in the Timaru Public Hospital..Any word when he may be moved to Christchurch ??