Photo

F1 - a novel approach!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gosfield54

Gosfield54

• 89 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:51

Well I have finally decided after two crime novels, to write a fiction novel about motor racing.
I know - it's all been done before. Well apart from the Bob Judd books (a long while ago) there doesn't seem much to be found.
My reason for posting is that I would appreciate a chat with someone who has driven an F1 car (or similar) to describe the feelings, the issues and the little points that make it interesting in the written form.
I have the ideas, scenes and plot sorted, but need some input on the technical side, the physical feelings, the technical issues of driving one.
I did this with my last novel about a kidnapping; I was granted a session at the police training range and used a Glock and talked with the experts.
I think it addds to my writing.
No chance of hammering round in an F1 car, so need to talk with someone who has.
Any support gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Mike

Advertisement

#2 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 13:09

I was granted a session at the police training range and used a Glock and talked with the experts.

Have you considered contacting Timo Glock? :rotfl:

Sorry.

PS Good luck with the book. Quite often these projects are let down by a poor understanding of the subject. Sounds like that won't happen in your case.

#3 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 13:53

Welcome and good luck with your project.

You can find about some previous attempts here: http://forums.autosp...orsport fiction

It is actually possible to try a F1 car, there are several companies offering the service. You would learn a lot more, anyway, by going to a driver training course such as those held by Skip Barber.
Both things are not cheap, but not foolishly costly either.

I don't know what your base knowledge of the subject is, but if you are new to these Forums I recommend you reading through the Technical and the Nostalgia Forums here on autosport.com.

Feel free to ask for info, there are some legendary names posting here.

Edited by Paolo, 04 April 2011 - 13:57.

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:01

Hi Mike, both surprised & pleased to see you here! Vern Schuppan's daughter Paige Toon is a novellist; I believe she recently wrote one about a promo girl in motor racing. Vern drove for BRM, Ensign, Hill & Surtees and he may be inclined to help you. He lives in Adelaide but Paige lives in London & Vern comes over on his way to his 2nd home in Portugal regularily. There are others, but Vern sprang to mind because of his daughter. If you are looking for a current era F1 driver, it may be a slightly more tricky, especially here on TNF...................

Give me a call & I might be able to help you.

Edited by Giraffe, 04 April 2011 - 14:24.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 16:55

To give you an impression of the relative speeds, the constrictionof being strapped tightly in a small cockpit, the lack of legroom etc, plus the g forces and spatial awareness etc you might find a day at Jonathan Palmer's race school place at the old Bedford airfield complex very useful. Not too expensive and JP is likely to be helpful too. It may help you to relate to the descriptions given by others who have done the quick stuff for real. Try Jenks' MS account of the 55 Mille Miglia for pure awareness, or Jenks' Racing Driver book, or any of Moss' narrative work in the various books.
Roger Lund

#6 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:43

To give you an impression of the relative speeds, the constrictionof being strapped tightly in a small cockpit, the lack of legroom etc, plus the g forces and spatial awareness etc you might find a day at Jonathan Palmer's race school place at the old Bedford airfield complex very useful. Not too expensive and JP is likely to be helpful too. It may help you to relate to the descriptions given by others who have done the quick stuff for real. Try Jenks' MS account of the 55 Mille Miglia for pure awareness, or Jenks' Racing Driver book, or any of Moss' narrative work in the various books.
Roger Lund

"Flying on the Ground" by Jackie Stewart also puts over very eloquently, in my opinion, the physical experience of driving an F1 car.

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:02

Mike have you yet read the Tom Bower biography 'No Angel' just out, I am only halfway through its 420 pages he seems to write in a thriller style. I do not know just how accurate it all is, but it is certainly a good read. Bit of background research if nothing else.

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:38

Mike:

You certainly have things worked out, and I know how exciting this phase is with a literary venture such as yours.

Thinking out loud regarding what I'd ponder if I was writing this book.... as a writer and veteran racer myself, I would want to first drive something on a circuit — the faster and more physically-abrasive the better, a high-G kart would even suffice (they generate far more G than any rental race car you might afford.... short of a very, VERY high-dollar one). This would give you a recent myriad of sensations you could file away and draw on for a later interview, sounds, vibrations, efforts, smells, pains, everything, and add to dialogue that a driver might overlook or not think to mention without your asking (especially a long-retired driver). As you know your outline beforehand, you might also experience unforeseen things that you may well pick up on in a specific writer's context.

So far as testing to "know" what an F1 driver experiences, as some suggest.... of course, most mortals can't reach levels of an F1 driver and thus can't know what it's REALLY like unless within a few tenths. That last second or two is what really brutalizes the body and mind and I agree, for that only an F1 driver can relate accurately — and preferably a competitive one. The more recent their experiences, the better, for memory and especially with technological advances being part of today's driving reality. I'd guess drivers who've left 5 or 10 years ago might be eager to talk again (Eddie Irvine comes to mind for some reason....).

It's late here so hope you don't mind a conceptual digression.... and apologies if I've led you to a pillow. Best of Luck, it sounds like a great read!

#9 Gosfield54

Gosfield54

• 89 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:40

Mike have you yet read the Tom Bower biography 'No Angel' just out, I am only halfway through its 420 pages he seems to write in a thriller style. I do not know just how accurate it all is, but it is certainly a good read. Bit of background research if nothing else.

Thanks for all the messages.
I may have things on the move now and some things to check up on.

Just for interest ... my aim is to write a crime novel that is centred on F1 and I can tell you the plotting is not easy!
My last two books have tended to have more of a realistic touch and that is what I want with this one.
Hence my relcutance to go along the 'Grand Prix' or "Driven" routes. I know art imitates life and v/v, but I prefer writing about crime in fiction that we (as in all of us) could relate to. This means noboby in a Lear jet flying in from Monaco and wearing shades, driving a Bugatti Veyron and wearing a £200,000 wristwatch!
Hold on! ..................... maybe I've got that wrong. :lol:

I have the loose plots for around 5/6 crime novels and you work on those and then develop as you write (well I do anyway) and then it's finished.
I can honestly say crafting a believable plot that both interests and excites in F1 is not easy - and that will surprise some people.
It could be all of the above with three murders, a rape and chase through the mountains with scores of police and so on and on and on and on ....
I prefer writing crime that might, could or will happen.

A BIG thank you for all the replies.
Please feel free to come back if you would like to comment and any plot ideas gratefully received after three weeks trying to sort out one tricky plot hole!

Mike :wave:

Edited by Gosfield54, 05 April 2011 - 08:42.

#10 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:23

I'm no expert but I really enjoyed Steve Matchett's books - 'The Mechanic's Tale' and 'Life in the Fast Lane' - an excellent insight into the world of F1 from the point of a mechanic. He goes into the politics and also quite a lot of technical detail but it's always easy to understand. Martin Brundle's book's quite good in that each chapter is based on a different circuit - might be useful too.

#11 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:00

Thanks for all the messages.
I may have things on the move now and some things to check up on.

Just for interest ... my aim is to write a crime novel that is centred on F1 and I can tell you the plotting is not easy!
My last two books have tended to have more of a realistic touch and that is what I want with this one.
Hence my relcutance to go along the 'Grand Prix' or "Driven" routes. I know art imitates life and v/v, but I prefer writing about crime in fiction that we (as in all of us) could relate to. This means noboby in a Lear jet flying in from Monaco and wearing shades, driving a Bugatti Veyron and wearing a £200,000 wristwatch!
Hold on! ..................... maybe I've got that wrong. :lol:

I have the loose plots for around 5/6 crime novels and you work on those and then develop as you write (well I do anyway) and then it's finished.
I can honestly say crafting a believable plot that both interests and excites in F1 is not easy - and that will surprise some people.
It could be all of the above with three murders, a rape and chase through the mountains with scores of police and so on and on and on and on ....
I prefer writing crime that might, could or will happen.

A BIG thank you for all the replies.
Please feel free to come back if you would like to comment and any plot ideas gratefully received after three weeks trying to sort out one tricky plot hole!

Mike :wave:

Dear Mike,

There is a thread on "motor racing and drug busts" on this forum that might give you a few plot ideas: http://forums.autosp...w...c=26714&hl=. John Paul Sr's real life reads like a cheap crime novel! Closer to home, Vic Lee (now out of prison for the second time and working for Corbeau Seats) is someone who would be able (and might be willing) to give you some insights into crime and motor racing.

Going back to your original request, you could try contacting Adam Khan, former Renault F1 test and demonstration driver, who also raced in the A1 Grand Prix series. I met Adam at a Renault F1 open day a couple of years ago and found him approachable, highly intelligent and a fluent speaker (in six languages). Although he seems to have stopped racing, he still has a website - http://www.adamkhanracing.com/. If that doesn't give you any contact links, try the Renault F1 team at Enstone:

Address: Lotus Renault GP
Whiteways Technical Centre
Enstone
Oxfordshire OX7 4EE
UK

Telephone: +44 (0)1608 678 000
Facsimile: +44 (0) 1608 678 609
Email: pressoffice@lotusrenaultgp.com

Good luck!