Photo

Rudi Caracciola - children? Jaguar?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Elmgreen

John Elmgreen

• 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 14:50

Can anyone assist me with information as to whether Rudi Caracciola ever had any children?
My net searches have so far not revealed any, from his two marriages.
Also, did he ever own a Jaguar in the 1950s? Seems highly unlikely I acknowlege, for such a Mercedes man.
It is also said that in 1953 he was visited by Clark Gable in Switerland, when Gable was touring the continent - is there any confirmation of this?
- John Elmgreen elmgreen@ihug.com.au

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 15:06

I cannot answer that per se but, I used to spend a lot of time with Mrs Goldie Gardner, widow of the record breaker of the same name.

There were masses of photo's on the wall, usually signed, and from all sorts. There were many signed "To my friend" from both Caracciola and Clark Gable, and I know that Major Gardner organised for Gable to receive a Jaguar as a gift.

None of that answer the question, but it could indicate a possible way it may have come about, they all seem to have been quite a close bunch in those days!

#3 Automobiliart

Automobiliart

• 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 15:07

Can anyone assist me with information as to whether Rudi Caracciola ever had any children?
Also, did he ever own a Jaguar in the 1950s? Seems highly unlikely I acknowlege, for such a Mercedes man.
It is also said that in 1953 he was visited by Clark Gable in Switerland, when Gable was touring the continent - is there any confirmation of this?

Hi John
I'm currently writing/illustrating/self-publishing a limited edition book (to 50) on the 1934 Grand Prix season, which includes bios of the major players.
None of my numerous reference documents makes any mention of Caracciola having children, and one of my references is written by Alice Caracciola herself.
There are also no mentions of Jaguars or Clark Gable.

I hope this is helpful.
Cheers!
Paul Chenard
Automobiliart.blogspot.com

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 15:15

I think the picture by Goldie's hand is Caracciola!

Posted Image

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,381 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 15:37

If Caracciola wasn't childless, he did a damn good job of hiding it! I can't confirm if Rudi and Clark Gable actually met, but Gable was certainly in Switzerland in 1953: a brief report in the Journal de Genève of April 28th says he was staying in Sierre "where he is taking several weeks of rest".

Edited by Vitesse2, 06 April 2011 - 09:19.

#6 vintagecon

vintagecon

• 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 16:51

Dont think he had any children, but here is a link to a webpage that tells the story about his marriage with Alice Troback from sweden that might be of interest (the webpage is unfortunately only in swedish but google translation should help)

http://www.vittsjobj...t...2&Itemid=29

#7 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,077 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:12

Never read anything on children. No rumours even.

He surely will have driven a Jag for a test, but he was ambassador for Mercedes up to his death.

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 618 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:55

From 1955 until 1959 Caracciola took a leading role in Mercedes-Benz sales programme's aimed at American forces stationed in Europe. This included a visit to Britain in the spring of 1959. These promotions often involved Rudi giving high speed demonstrations with a 300SL. It is quite possible that he might have met former USAF serviceman and motor racing enthusiast Clark Gable during one of these events.

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 06 April 2011 - 08:56.

#9 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:49

I can confirm that Rudi Caracciola did not have any children. It would appear that only his younger brother had children. As regards a connection to Jaguar, I do know that Rudi did have a go at the wheel of someone's Jaguar whilst undertaking his NATO salesman duties. For the identity of the Jaguar owner I am afraid you will have to wait until I have finished my book on Caracciola!

#10 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 815 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 15:54

Good to hear you are still working on it, Simon. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,222 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 17:41

I am pretty sure that Goldie Gardner met Clark Gable while attending the Indy 500 in around 1950 or '51. I have seen a photo somewhere showing them together. Caracciola may also have met Gable in the US before his bird strike at Indy.

DCN