Photo

Ferrari Pirelli

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:41

The Scuderia Ferrari Alfa's were always Pirelli shod. After the war Ferrari raced in F1 on Pirelli only until 1954. Meaning this year ends a 57 year supplier gap. Certainly a motorracing record?

Advertisement

#2 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:50

The Scuderia Ferrari Alfa's were always Pirelli shod. After the war Ferrari raced in F1 on Pirelli only until 1954. Meaning this year ends a 57 year supplier gap. Certainly a motorracing record?

During the thirties they also raced with Englebert tyres!

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:43

I know they used Englebert in the fifties but didn't realise this dated back to the thirties. Was this classic Ferrari playing one off against the other to secure the best financial deal? Or were Engleberts better in some cases?

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:34

Renault used Michelin in 1906-08 and again in 1977.

In 1955, Ferrari switched to Englebert for financial reasons. You had to pay for Pirellis but got big bonuses for results. Ferrari weren't likel to win much in 1955 and Englebert offered a retainer.

#5 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:04

I see.

#6 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 16:32

And even in the early fifties...

#7 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:42

And even in the early fifties...

...when Englebert came to play a crucial role, rightly or wrongly, in the 1957 Mille Miglia drama involving the Ferrari of de Portago.

#8 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 18:26

Yep, but I wrote early fifties, in order to show that the team used Englebert even when they were with Pirelli.

#9 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 18:49

Correct , they did.

#10 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 00:55

SOT I wonder if Continental will ever have cause to revive the Englebert brand ?

#11 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:50

You have to wonder about the marketing wisdom of the 2011 Pirelli F1 tyre policy .
To the casual motorist viewer Pirelli in F1 racing are already this year building a reputation for tyres that wear out much more quickly than the tyres used in previous years, with 4 stops for yet another new set of tyres inside just 190 miles in Malaysia.
Just at a time when the price of road car tyres has shot upwards in the last 6 months by a huge amount due to a 75% rise in the world price of natural rubber as well as huge increases in the cost of crude oil , transport etc. The one thing the car tyre buyer is looking for now is fair price and then longest life possible from a new set of tyres. Which is not the impression I get from watching GP racing this year.I bought a set of tyres this week and the price hike was huge.
Is this in fact good advertising ?

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:38

You have to wonder about the marketing wisdom of the 2011 Pirelli F1 tyre policy .
To the casual motorist viewer Pirelli in F1 racing are already this year building a reputation for tyres that wear out much more quickly than the tyres used in previous years, with 4 stops for yet another new set of tyres inside just 190 miles in Malaysia.
Just at a time when the price of road car tyres has shot upwards in the last 6 months by a huge amount due to a 75% rise in the world price of natural rubber as well as huge increases in the cost of crude oil , transport etc. The one thing the car tyre buyer is looking for now is fair price and then longest life possible from a new set of tyres. Which is not the impression I get from watching GP racing this year.I bought a set of tyres this week and the price hike was huge.
Is this in fact good advertising ?

How long before teams have to make a couple of sets of tyres last a whole season in much the same way as engines and gearboxes ?

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:41

Couldnt agree more. I also wonder why they print their name no longer curved on the tyre wall.

Anyway, we'll wait for a magnificent TV commercial with several cars (AR 12C/555/F150) stating "What we learn on the track, we put on the road.".

#14 Bruno

Bruno

• 563 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:04

1950 Pirelli
1951 Pirelli
1952 Pirelli/ Firestone/ Englebert (Drivers championaship)
1953 Pirelli (Drivers championaship)
1954 Englebert/ Pirelli
1957 Englebert/ Pirelli
2011 Pirelli

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 14:17

...when Englebert came to play a crucial role, rightly or wrongly, in the 1957 Mille Miglia drama involving the Ferrari of de Portago.

And Ascari's accident - or was he on Pirellis?

#16 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 15:50

How long before teams have to make a couple of sets of tyres last a whole season in much the same way as engines and gearboxes ?

Without checking I seem to recall that in 1963 Jim Clark used the same set of Dunlop R6s for 7 races.

Admittedly the 1.5 litre F1 cars were featherweight and of course the tyres were much harder compound then and cornering forces miniscule by latter day standards but even so. I stand to be corrected but it was a number of races (GPs?)

Richard's point about the image/public perception of rapidly wearing tyres could well be right but only one suspects to those ignorant of modern motor sport.

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 17:14

Without checking I seem to recall that in 1963 Jim Clark used the same set of Dunlop R6s for 7 races.

Admittedly the 1.5 litre F1 cars were featherweight and of course the tyres were much harder compound then and cornering forces miniscule by latter day standards but even so. I stand to be corrected but it was a number of races (GPs?)

If only Jim had looked after them he might have got another 3 races on them and called it a season ! (Joke) Thanks for the info Paul :up:

I've been thinking for some time F1 regs re written to something like mid 80's FF spec might be a little more interesting than the fascinating technical overkill we have at the moment.

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 17:34

SOT I wonder if Continental will ever have cause to revive the Englebert brand ?

Staying slightly OT, Michelin masterminded a short-lived revival of the Englebert brand for historic road and racing tyres in the 1990s.