Photo

Lola T70s at Brands 1000km 1970

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 13:49

At the end of the 1969 season, Sid Taylor sold the famous Lola T70 Mk3b (SL76/138) to Mike De Udy's Grand Bahama Racing Team and acquired a similar car (SL76/144) when he purchased the assets of the bankrupt Team Elite. In January of 1970, Sid ran Peter Gethin and Trevor Taylor in the Buenos Aires races in the car before it appeared at the Brands Hatch 1000kms in the hands of Barrie Smith and Howden Ganley.
Brands was a story in itself as Barrie's website reveals, but it also uncharacteristically shows the Lola (#6) in non-Sid Taylor Racing colours (probably the green of Team Elite).

http://www.frenchpix...therdrives.html

Sid's famous 1969 car (SL76/138) now owned by De Udy also ran at Brands for Mike himself and Frank Gardner as #7 completing 26 laps before a camshaft gave way.

I would very much like to obtain images of SL76/144 as driven at Brands by Barrie and Howden in practice and prior to the accident as illustrated on Barrie's site. I'm also interested in obtaining pics of SL76/138 as driven by De Udy and Gardner, as much to know if it had been pinstriped and snorkelled as was the tradition of Grand Bahama Lola T70s by that time.

Thanks chaps.

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 13:52

Tony, you have a PM.

Steve

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 14:44

According to the Motoring News race report:

The latter [de Udy/Gardner] car, on the reserve list, was the one previously owned by Team Gunston and raced by John Love, and was still in the cigarette company's colours.

Edit: it also mentions the Taylor Lola as still being in its Team Elite blue livery.

Edited by Tim Murray, 15 April 2011 - 14:49.

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 14:55

According to the Motoring News race report:

After the South African races in November 1969 at Kyalami and Killarney with 6.2 & 6.9 litre engines respectively for Brian Redman & John Love, the car was sold to Love who raced it three times and taking second place in the Springbok series before selling the car to De Udy after barely a month's ownership.
I doubt it ever got painted in De Udy's colours before it went to Mike Coombe via Paul Vestey.It would then have run in three different iconic liveries.

Many thanks Tim! :wave:

Edited by Giraffe, 15 April 2011 - 15:03.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:41

before it went to Mike Coombe

Can anyone put me in touch with Mike Coombe please?

Roger Lund

#6 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:34

Can anyone put me in touch with Mike Coombe please?

Roger Lund

AFAIK deceased , ran Midland Models in Rugby , donated his model car collection to the BRDC

#7 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:08

AFAIK deceased , ran Midland Models in Rugby , donated his model car collection to the BRDC

This is possibly the collection on display in the lounge? I will make enquiries.

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:20

AFAIK deceased

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry2601114

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:37

I would very much like to obtain images of SL76/144 as driven at Brands by Barrie and Howden in practice and prior to the accident as illustrated on Barrie's site. I'm also interested in obtaining pics of SL76/138 as driven by De Udy and Gardner, as much to know if it had been pinstriped and snorkelled as was the tradition of Grand Bahama Lola T70s by that time.

Thanks chaps.

Many thanks to Steve Wilkinson who came up with a splendid photo he took of Howden Ganley in the Lola during practice on the Saturday of the meeting. I sent this pic to Howden who was pleased to receive it as he tells me he had never seen a photo of himself in the car!
Furthermore, my thanks go to Anders Hedborg who provided me with a great pic of Sid Taylor's car in Gunston colours but with De Udy snorkels! :wave:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 April 2011 - 20:38.

#10 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 22:53

This is possibly the collection on display in the lounge? I will make enquiries.

The F1 British GP winners and similarly the Brits at Le Mans collection on display was commisssioned by the BRDC & sourced through Mike. I believe there was a "donation" of models by the Bellm family