Photo

Information on 1958 F2 race at Crystal Palace

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Msoli

Msoli

• 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:04

Few days ago, I was looking at some Formula 2 results in 1958, and in the IV Crystal Palace Trophy race, I noticed a healthy entry. Then I see two entries with Australian nationality, these drivers were: Alan MacKay in a Cooper T45 and Count Steve Ouvaroff in a Cooper T43. Also, saw an entry of Luis Monteiro in a Cooper T45. Can not find any information on these particular entries, so if anybody has photos or livery description of these three entries would be great. Future thank yous for any info. :)

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:21

Ouvaroff's car was BRG with a lighter-coloured nose-band, probably gold

#3 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 20:17

The programme for the event lists Mackay in Green/Gold, Ouvaroff Green/Gold and Monteiro Red/White, although it obviously doesn't give precise shades of colour.
Pete

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 20:46

That race had quite an entry! Innes Ireland and Henry Taylor as DNQ's

I see that Ramon Thackwell from New Zealand was there. Is he any relation to Mike thackwell?

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 21:22

Yes indeed - father.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 21:33

Mike Thackwell's father's name was (and is) Raymond, and he raced F2 in Europe in 1957 and 1958

#7 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:37

Mike Thackwell's father's name was (and is) Raymond, and he raced F2 in Europe in 1957 and 1958

With speedway star Ronnie Moore as 'Kiwi Equipe'. Crystal Palace and Brands Hatch regulars and a friendly couple of chaps. :up:

#8 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:13

The Crystal Palace Trophy Race was in May and, in early July, there was another Formula 2 race at Crystal Palace, the Anerley Trophy. This was won by a member of the Kiwi Equipe, Syd Jensen. Again, the entry was really interesting ( I hadn't realised that Ronnie Moore and Reg Harris had raced cars) and here's some of my 'blurb' that accompanied a copy I recently listed and sold on Ebay:

CRYSTAL PALACE Saturday July 5th 1958
BRSCC National Open Race Meeting
Official Programme
F2, 500cc F3, Sports Cars, Production Sports, Saloons

Fascinating, varied entry
Trevor Taylor, Mike Parkes, Ivor Bueb, Alan Stacey
Speedway Star Ronnie Moore
Cycling Star Reg Harris
Eric Broadley, Tommy Sopwith, Syd Jensen, Ian Walker, Patsy Burt
Tim Parnell, Jim Russell, Don Parker, Ian Raby, Jack Lewis etc.

Race One - Production Sports. Ian Walker in the Lotus Elite, three MGAs from Ecurie Chiltern etc.

Races Two & Six - Anerley Trophy for Formula Two. Won by New Zealander Syd Jensen from Ivor Bueb and Jim Russell. Other Kiwis present included speedway star Ronnie Moore and Merv Neil. Mike Thackwell's father Ray was entered but did not start. Others who did race were Mike Parkes, Alan Stacey, Steve Ouvaroff, Patsy Burt, Tim Parnell, Jimmy Stuart, Alan McKay and Luis Monteiro.

Race Three - Saloons. A 1-2 for the Equipe Endeavour Jaguars of Tommy Sopwith and Gawaine Baillie, ahead of the Uren brothers. Also racing, Doc Shepherd, John Sprinzel, one of the Borgward Isabellas etc.

Races Four & Seven - Sports Cars. Ivor Bueb and Bruce Halford scored a Lister-Jaguar 1-2, ahead of Graham Whitehead's Aston. Also racing, Jonathan Sieff, Eric Broadley (in a Broadley) and cycling star Reg Harris in a Jaguar D-Type.

Race Five - 500cc F3. Won by Trevor Taylor, from Don Parker and Ian Raby. Jack Lewis in seventh.

Edited by john winfield, 17 April 2011 - 09:13.

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:37

You could have made that New Zealand speedway stars Ronnie Moore, Merv Neil and Ray Thackwell :)

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:44

You could have made that New Zealand speedway stars Ronnie Moore, Merv Neil and Ray Thackwell :)

Sorry, David but, because everyone of my generation knew Mike Thackwell was a Kiwi, I didn't pay enough attention to highlighting the fact that his father came from down your way too (NZ, not London!).
By way of an apology, here's a piece on Syd Jensen that might be of interest. Perhaps you know it.

http://www.seqair.co.../Versatile.html

Msoli, sorry for the thread hijack, usual TNF, off at a tangent.......

Edited by john winfield, 17 April 2011 - 09:45.

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:48

( I hadn't realised that Ronnie Moore and Reg Harris had raced cars)

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry4324288

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:54

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry4324288

...and the D type would be Jack Broadhead's

#13 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:45

Sorry, David but, because everyone of my generation knew Mike Thackwell was a Kiwi, I didn't pay enough attention to highlighting the fact that his father came from down your way too (NZ, not London!).
By way of an apology, here's a piece on Syd Jensen that might be of interest. Perhaps you know it.

http://www.seqair.co.../Versatile.html

Thank you for that John. Really interesting information on Syd Jensen who is well remembered by those of us who saw him in action on British circuits with his distinctive F2 Cooper. :up:

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:34

I always thought his outright lap record at Brands Hatch was the highlight of his 1958 British season. At the next meeting not even S Moss or J Brabham could go faster :up:

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 16:39

I was at the 1958 Anerley Trophy meeting. We were staying with my grandparents who lived 5 minutes away (just the other side of Anerley Hill where the trolleybuses ran). I was allowed to go on my own at the age of 11 :) (would anybody allow that nowadays?). I remember an A35 (Sprinzel or Shepherd?) being on the front row of the saloon car race alongside the Jaguars, Graham Whitehead with the DB3S that had finished 2nd at Le Mans, Lotus Elite and Elva Couriers in the production sports cars.

#16 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 16:45

I always thought his outright lap record at Brands Hatch was the highlight of his 1958 British season. At the next meeting not even S Moss or J Brabham could go faster :up:

And beating Jim Russell and Ivor Bueb to win the Anerley Trophy at 'The Palace' was pretty impressive as well. An under rated ace I always thought. :up:

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 19:33

I know it's all subjective, but I rated Moss and Brabham above Russell and Bueb... :)

#18 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 22:35

I was at the 1958 Anerley Trophy meeting. We were staying with my grandparents who lived 5 minutes away (just the other side of Anerley Hill where the trolleybuses ran).

Number 654 trolleybus I recall..a steep climb up Anerly Hill but also a somewhat precarious trip downhill!

#19 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 22:35

Can you give us some more information about this? I thought Moss broke the lap record on the only occasion he drove at Brands in 1958.

Advertisement

#20 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:52

I'll check after breakfast. I think he only equalled it

#21 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:53

You’re right. Not for the first time I got my two August 1958 Brands Hatch F2 meetings mixed up
I should have said Brabham and Lewis-Evans couldn’t better Jensen's time at the next meeting (Moss wasn’t there)
But at the one after, Moss went faster

The full picture is that at the 8 June meeting Jensen (and Dennis Taylor) established a new lap record of 58.2sec. At the 4 August meeting that was equalled by Brabham, Lewis-Evans, Allison and Taylor again. But in the first heat of the 30/8 meeting Moss and Brabham both did 57.8, and in the second heat Moss got down to 57.4

#22 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:14

I think Dennis Taylor's times (in a Lotus 12!) a the early June and August meetings are also worthy of mention.

#23 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:44

[quote name='David McKinney' date='Apr 17 2011, 19:33' post='4978121']
I know it's all subjective, but I rated Moss and Brabham above Russell and Bueb... :)
/quote]
Me too. Well, Moss anyway, but they still took some beating at Crystal Palace at that time. I came away impressed that day anyway!. :cool:

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 18 April 2011 - 07:46.

#24 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:51

Races Four & Seven - Sports Cars. Ivor Bueb and Bruce Halford scored a Lister-Jaguar 1-2, ahead of Graham Whitehead's Aston. Also racing, Jonathan Sieff, Eric Broadley (in a Broadley) and cycling star Reg Harris in a Jaguar D-Type.

Broadley's Broadley? Surely a Lola!

Was this the meeting where Eric debuted his Mk1 which proved very slow in a straight line but flew around the corners, due to a stretched throttle cable, which once corrected pulverised everyone at Brands Hatch a couple of days later?

I don't trust my memory on dates, but I am sure of the facts (or am I?)

Anyone going to be at the VSCC Silverstone this weekend?

Edited by Bauble, 18 April 2011 - 12:55.

#25 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 13:27

Broadley's Broadley? Surely a Lola!

Was this the meeting where Eric debuted his Mk1 which proved very slow in a straight line but flew around the corners, due to a stretched throttle cable, which once corrected pulverised everyone at Brands Hatch a couple of days later?

I don't trust my memory on dates, but I am sure of the facts (or am I?)

Anyone going to be at the VSCC Silverstone this weekend?

I don't know much about the early days of Lola so, Bauble, you could well be right. The programme described Eric's car at this July meeting as a Broadley but, looking at some of the Lola/Broadley websites, there seems to be a bit of overlap when it comes to the naming of cars. Or perhaps the programme editor was slow to react to the change from Broadley to Lola. If I remember correctly, the programme didn't specify which particular model of Broadley was being raced.

#26 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 14:21

OTTOMH the Lola first appeared as such a little later in 1958

And, yes, I shall be in attendance at Silverstone on Saturday (if they've got the M1 working by then...)

#27 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 18:11

The original Mk1 still races today and is badged as Lola. I have pictures to prove it (or have I?)

#28 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 19:37

Have checked David Pratley’s Lola’s First which, while not 100% clear on the subject of nomenclature, helps my recollection, as follows:

The 1956/57 1172 clubmen’s car was originally called a Broadley, but became known as Lola during its racing career

When the streamlined Climax-powered car first appeared it was also called Lola; the new owner of the 1172 consequently renamed his car Lolita. For some reason however the Climax car’s first race entry, in the abovementioned Crystal Palace race, was as a Broadley....