Australian Touring Car Championship '70 & '71 questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:23

Gentlemen,

Is anyone aware of any source for details on the cars entered in the ATCC for 70 & 71?

Specifically I'm looking for chassis numbers and engine sizes for the Porsche 911's entered for these years.... no small task I suspect.

Also seeking any engine photos of Porsches racing during this period please!

I suspect this is a tall order but any leads would be appreciated :wave:

This relates back to a issue I have with CAMS in relation to a historic log book.

Cheers, Cam

Edited by Cam Arnott, 17 April 2011 - 11:24.

Advertisement

#2 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:56

Gentlemen,

Is anyone aware of any source for details on the cars entered in the ATCC for 70 & 71?

Specifically I'm looking for chassis numbers and engine sizes for the Porsche 911's entered for these years.... no small task I suspect.

Also seeking any engine photos of Porsches racing during this period please!

I suspect this is a tall order but any leads would be appreciated :wave:

This relates back to a issue I have with CAMS in relation to a historic log book.

Cheers, Cam

Ray Bell on this forum will have Racing car news mags from the period.
what is the issue?

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:15

Might Alan Hamilton be able to help with chassis numbers?

The Bill Brown car would have gone through the SVM hands, so they should have some kind of record. From memory, that car became the Laurex car, then to Peter Fitzgerald.

#4 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:58

Ray Thackwell raced his first Porsche 911 in WA beginning 1971, but I'm not sure where it came from - east coast possibly? - and eventually went to Leo Stubber. The second Thackwell car is well out of your period, and was imported by Ray Thackwell anyway. You could try Dr Leo Stubber himself for pics of the engine of his ex-Thackwell car, and its provenance - There's quite a lot of Stubbers in WA, but many of them seem to be related - Paul Stubber, Ray Stubber, Leo Stubber, that I know of. I think Ray, for example, is Leo's nephew, or possibly cousin. If the first Thackwell Porsche was an ex-1970 ATCC car you might be lucky. I know twoe Porsches came West to race in the WA State Touring Car Championship in 1970 - Jim McKeown and Brian Foley. That was the last meeting of 1970 - one of them may have been sold into WA. I know Foley sold his Cooper S in WA after the last meeting in 1968, so there's ample precedent.

#5 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:38

Going from memory, wasn’t one of the Thackwell Porsche 911s (possibly the 2.7 RS) leased from Bob Jane? I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere on TNF.

As for the best person to ask about this stuff, Melbourne journalist Michael Browning is you man. There isn’t much about Porsches in Australia that he doesn’t know or hasn’t written. Infact I would really love to read the definitive story on Porsche 911s in the ATCC. Maybe it has been written, but unfortunately I haven’t read about it…

I know that you can find Michael Browning's contact details via the VHRR website - he is responsible for media enquiries relating to the Phillip Island Classic.

#6 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:07

Thanks Gents

My issue relates to the fact that aCAMS eligibility officer is stating that my car (a '71 Porsche 911) must run mechanical fuel injection to comply with the regs. The regs state that the 911'S' model in '70 and '71 ran fuel injection and as such all Group Nc historic cars must have injection.

I am however aware of three cars with Nc Logbooks that are running Webers. I also have it verified that Jim McKeowns car was actually running Webers back in the day..... The engines that they were running were not production 911 engines anyway - they were 2.3 litres not 2.2 and had twin plug ignition not single plug just for starters. As documented by Porsche itself these 2.3 race motors could be had either with Webers or injection.

I have been in touch with Ray Thackewell in the past about his 1st car and as I recall it did run Webers, however his car was not run in the ATCC as far as I know, only in WA races so I'm not sure if it would be relevent in this instance. Ray told me the car was actually ordered new from NZ (although Hamilton's would have taken the order as all NZ cars went through them) by someone he new and he basically hi-jacked the car! It was not an ex ATCC car.

Out of interest the red ex Brian Foley car is being restored currently in Melbourne. I'll give Michael Browning a call, thanks for the leads chaps.

All the best

Cam

#7 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:33

My issue relates to the fact that aCAMS eligibility officer is stating that my car (a '71 Porsche 911) must run mechanical fuel injection to comply with the regs. The regs state that the 911'S' model in '70 and '71 ran fuel injection and as such all Group Nc historic cars must have injection.

gee I miss CAMS.

Oh hang on, no I don't, not in the slightest.

#8 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:11

Thanks Gents

I am however aware of three cars with Nc Logbooks that are running Webers. I also have it verified that Jim McKeowns car was actually running Webers back in the day..... The engines that they were running were not production 911 engines anyway - they were 2.3 litres not 2.2 and had twin plug ignition not single plug just for starters. As documented by Porsche itself these 2.3 race motors could be had either with Webers or injection.

I have been in touch with Ray Thackewell in the past about his 1st car and as I recall it did run Webers, however his car was not run in the ATCC as far as I know, only in WA races so I'm not sure if it would be relevent in this instance. Ray told me the car was actually ordered new from NZ (although Hamilton's would have taken the order as all NZ cars went through them) by someone he new and he basically hi-jacked the car! It was not an ex ATCC car.

Out of interest the red ex Brian Foley car is being restored currently in Melbourne. I'll give Michael Browning a call, thanks for the leads chaps.

All the best

Cam

another reason why i gave it away with those unemployable fools at CAMS.
spot on they ran triple throat webers,let me talk to a guy that owns one of those cars and is restoring it.
correct to about the 2.3 motors.
what is the reason for allowing others to run Webers and 12 plug heads?

#9 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 13:03

another reason why i gave it away with those unemployable fools at CAMS.
spot on they ran triple throat webers,let me talk to a guy that owns one of those cars and is restoring it.
correct to about the 2.3 motors.
what is the reason for allowing others to run Webers and 12 plug heads?

Not sure why about the Webers other than apparently they 'used' to be allowed. The twin plug heads were used back in the day on racing engines and were available from Porsche as one of the many racing parts they would supply. Although one car running Webers is apparently running single plug heads?! I have some calls to make tomorrow to see when the rules changed.

The spec sheet dated 1999 states injection so at what point were Webers allowed and then not allowed??!

#10 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:20

Not sure why about the Webers other than apparently they 'used' to be allowed. The twin plug heads were used back in the day on racing engines and were available from Porsche as one of the many racing parts they would supply. Although one car running Webers is apparently running single plug heads?! I have some calls to make tomorrow to see when the rules changed.

The spec sheet dated 1999 states injection so at what point were Webers allowed and then not allowed??!

so talk to Gerge Cairns he would know.
there so dumb in there,put it on injection and run a motes system hidden,others do in SC. :rotfl: or carbin floor and roof.