Photo

Soames Langton, passing of a friend

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:52

I know many on TNF either know, or know of Soames Langton, and indeed, his father Stephen. Soames sister Amanda has just told me that Soames died last night after many many years in hospital. I can only guess what his mother Elizabeth is going through after Stephen's, then Soames' accidents, but it's one of those times you just feel so utterly useless.

Soames was a fine driver and a superb human being, I know I'll miss him.

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:09

Can't say I knew him well, but pretty well exactly 17 years ago I bought a 1912 Mors car from him (IIRC he had a choice of three in stock!).
Negotiations over lunch after a test drive were suitably sociable and I suppose the deal was satisfactory, as I still have the car. I tried to get a good combined price on the Mors and a Sierra XR4×4 he was selling at the time, but nothing was available so I just had the Mors.

The years since his accident would not have been good for any of them, even without the previous death of Stephen.

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:35

Terribly sad to read this news. It must be nearly 15 years since his accident in a GT race at Nogaro robbed the racing world of a great character and fine driver, as Steve says. My condolences to his family.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:12

I never knew either Soames or his father Stephen personally, but witnessed Stephen's accident at Brands Hatch, and when I heard about what had happened to Soames I felt so sorry for the Langton family. I sincerely hope they have a happier time from now on. RIP Soames.

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:52

Very sad news indeed. My thoughts are with all those who knew & loved him.

Edited by Richie Jenkins, 20 April 2011 - 10:53.

#6 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:55

I can only echo the sentiments as expressed by Tim, especially as I too witnessed Stephen's accident and feel very sad to hear todays news regarding Soames.

Glyn

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 13:56

Sad indeed. All as expressed above...

DCN

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 15:55

Can only add my name to what's been posted while I've been out all day

He was an excellent driver who never took himself too seriously. I guess we really lost him at Nogaro all those years ago, but that doesn't lessen the sadness of his final passing, or the distress to his family. My thoughts are with them

#9 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 19:42

Sad news but no doubt a relief in many respects after all these years. I met up with Soames on a number of occasions on his buying trips out to NZ tracking down veteran and vintage cars. He was a great guy and many an evening was passed over a bottle (or more) of red. Best wishes to Elizabeth and family.

#10 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 21:04

For those of you who weren't fortunate enough to have witnessed any of Soames's track exploits, these pics from the 1992 Christie's Festival are typical of his exuberant style
Posted Image
Posted Image

And here he is in his rôle as purveyor of fine sporting motor vehicles (from the Goodwood 1996 Concours d'Élégance)
Posted Image

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 20:37

And with a 4½ litre Bentley at a Christie's Festival
Posted Image

#12 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,998 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 21:08

Racing is also this. :(

#13 StephenLangton2nd

StephenLangton2nd

• 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 19:22

Hi all ill start by saying i am Stephen Langton Soames's nephew id like to thanks you all for the kind words and photos that have been posted, this photo here is my fav.

Many thanks

Stephen

Posted Image

#14 Blackadder

Blackadder

• 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 20:25

Best wishes to all the Langtons. Sad news.

#15 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:13

I know many on TNF either know, or know of Soames Langton, and indeed, his father Stephen. Soames sister Amanda has just told me that Soames died last night after many many years in hospital. I can only guess what his mother Elizabeth is going through after Stephen's, then Soames' accidents, but it's one of those times you just feel so utterly useless.

Soames was a fine driver and a superb human being, I know I'll miss him.

I have written an appreciation of Soames for my blog. Those interested can find it HERE