Photo

Starting Flag Procedures

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PeteRichardson

PeteRichardson

• 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 22:59

I came across a video on Youtube a while back of the Brands BRSCC events throughout 1970, and came across the bizarre sight of Ulf Norinder giving the start and waving the chequered flag for the F5000 race at the end of the season. You can watch what I mean here - http://www.youtube.c...tailpage#t=235s - includes sight of a sadly twisted Martin Special.

I've never seen anyone flag off a rolling/flying start before like that - is this how the British would do it? I have seen many threads about the likes of Toto Roche (Mr Toad as my Dad refers to him), Tex Hopkins and Glen Dix, but never really much about how people gave the start. I'm keen to hear more about this - I understand that starting the race properly was a bit of a debate in the late 60s after incidents like the '67 Italian GP where everyone went straight from the dummy grid!

Also, it seems a shame that we don't get to see more of these characters around in racing these days. Seeing footage of past racing makes me think that today's "abide to all the rules and regulations" racing has stopped much of the personality about the place - the most you hear comes from the commentary box at the track and occasionally in post-race interviews.

Forgive me if this isn't a great "first thread" but I'm curious to hear more about things I've missed out on!