Photo

Felipe Massa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1115 replies to this topic

#951 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,932 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:55

Yes, I watched that part where Alonso cruised past Button, while Massa couldn´t, and then started dropping back.

It was easy enough with a fast car on a straight line. Ferrari was. He simply lacked pace.

Alonso beat McLaren comfortably. Massa didn´t have a sniff of it.

Don´t know about that. If it´s worth .8, my apologies to Felipe. But I strongly doubt that.

Massa had to save fuel for half of the race...and yes Fernando had updates Massa didn't. Ferrari is on par with McLaren at the moment but depending on track.

Advertisement

#952 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:01

Massa confirmed to sky that he had to save fuel for more than half the race. he couldn't have gone speedy at the start even, as it seems he just didn't have the right amount of fuel from the start.

#953 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:01

A little disappointing from Massa, but to be fair, there wasn't a lot between the Ferrari, Lotus and Mclaren. I think Alonso was just incredible on the day while Massa was unable to be similarly impressive and got caught with cars similar in speed. He did well to keep Kimi behind him. Even if Kimi obviously lacked some straight-line speed, he still had to be pretty much mistake free and he was tough on that outlap to keep the position. He's definitely had a lot worse performances this year.

#954 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 817 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:10

Agreed, it was not the greatest performance, but far from the disaster of the beginning of the year, also as you said, keeping Kimi so close behind without making any big mistake was good, and the out lap quite good, and smart (or lucky?) with the DRS.

#955 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:13

Agreed, it was not the greatest performance, but far from the disaster of the beginning of the year, also as you said, keeping Kimi so close behind without making any big mistake was good, and the out lap quite good, and smart (or lucky?) with the DRS.

Felipe has had plenty worse weekends but keeping Kimi behind was no big issue with a car that much faster. Kimi could barely reach the same speed with DRS as Felipe without!!

#956 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 817 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:14

Felipe has had plenty worse weekends but keeping Kimi behind was no big issue with a car that much faster. Kimi could barely reach the same speed with DRS as Felipe without!!

yes, Kimi with DRS looked at best 5KPH faster but, that Lotus was fast overall on the lap, and any small mistake by Massa could have allowed an attack, so I think it was good to keep the position, saving fuel, with Kimi many times less than 0.5s behind, for what? 30 laps or more.

#957 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:56

Agreed, it was not the greatest performance, but far from the disaster of the beginning of the year...

It was exactly the same kind of performance, but now the field is much more spread out. No matter how bad he drove, he wouldn´t go backwards more than behind Räikkönen. Just add a couple of competitive Mercedes, Sauber, Williams and Grosjean and there you have early season Massa.

Anyway, kudos if he really had to deal with a WRONG fuel load, because that´s a big handicap. If it was just a light strategy, he still sucked badly. About updates, they´re not justification for the enormous gap.

#958 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:02

Felipe Massa: “It was a very tough fight, from start to finish. After around 20 laps, I was told from the pitwall that I had to try and save fuel, so I ended up doing over half the race without being able to go flat out and I can assure you, it was definitely not easy, because Kimi was always very close to me. It wasn’t the result I wanted, but all the same, these are important points for the Constructors’ championship. The time lost in FP2 cost me dear, mainly because we were unable to optimise our package. The duel with Kimi after the pit stop? I managed to come out of pit lane in front, but then I let him through at Turn 3 because he was still very close and I wanted to have the DRS down the straight. I think he realised that, but by then it was too late and I had the advantage and managed to get by. Now we go to Abu Dhabi, which is something of a second home race for Ferrari, as we have the beautiful theme park there. Let’s hope we have some more updates on the car and can secure a better result than this sixth place.”

#959 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:13

This is not the kind of mistake Ferrari does, they need to explain it, to save fuel in the last laps under some conditions it's ok, but 40 laps before the end?, maybe the had a problem with the fuel pump. Anyway he couldn't overtake Button, so he was going nowhere in this race.

Advertisement

#960 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:26

Good job by Felipe - not great - but very good.

#961 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:28

I dont buy that he was 30s worth saving. Why didnt he get Button early if he was light? Few kilos at most

Edited by tarmac, 28 October 2012 - 16:28.

#962 Lights

Lights

• 9,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:38

And that's the problem with Felipe. He does some good races, there's some hype and some 'is faster than you'-jokes, he signs a contract and everybody is happy. But Fernando is always up there, not 4 races per year.

#963 Flexa

Flexa

• 403 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 17:45

Unfortunately, Felipe has confirmed the new parts for Abu Dhabi in majority won't be fit to his car :|

However, he hopes the team and Fernando to make another step towards the RBs; :)

#964 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 640 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:53

He had to save fuel for a bit of the race, much more so than other drivers. Didn't have the upgrades that Alonso had, qualified within a tenth of Alonso.

Not sure why people are slating him, it wasn't a great race, but there wasn't much else he could do.

#965 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 978 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:05

He had to save fuel for a bit of the race, much more so than other drivers. Didn't have the upgrades that Alonso had, qualified within a tenth of Alonso.

Not sure why people are slating him, it wasn't a great race, but there wasn't much else he could do.

And also considering he missed so much time on Friday (due to an admitted Ferrari error), he couldn't really just whack on Alonso's setup as they had different configurations.

It will be interesting to see how his race pace is tomorrow, considering his position he might play an important role later in the race if Vettel makes good progress.

#966 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 714 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:01

Felipe Massa's contribution this season for both championships is nonexistent.

#967 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:05

Felipe Massa's contribution this season for both championships is nonexistent.

Ferrari doesn't deserve WCC anyway.

#968 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:24

Fire this guy. And he dares blaming Webber for their incident!! How stupid you can look making silly statements on the heat of action...

#969 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:31

He spun to avoid Webber. You have to rewatch the crash. Webber was stupid to rejoin the track like that.

#970 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:41

He spun to avoid Webber. You have to rewatch the crash. Webber was stupid to rejoin the track like that.

You´re really Felipe, aren´t you? :lol:

No, he spun taking too much curb by himself. Webber left more than enough room between him and that apex to put a Ferrari in there.
Don´t try to sell it as Perez´s move all over again because it was not.

#971 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:50

He spun to avoid Webber. But you are so biased against Massa.. Once again, when Massa is bad, i'm the first to say this, you have just to watch this thread.

#972 discover23

discover23

• 3,944 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:51

It was Webber's fault..
If you look at the No 2 drivers of the top teams and their points scored since Massa turned his season around in Hungary we have :

Button = 85
Massa = 72
Webber = 47
Grosjean = 29

So who is crap really who should be fired?

#973 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:00

He spun to avoid Webber. But you are so biased against Massa.. Once again, when Massa is bad, i'm the first to say this, you have just to watch this thread.

I´m biased when Massa comes into play, says the guy with Massa in the name and avatar.

Massa had a car fully alongside on the outside, braked too late, slid wide -he wasn´t even going to make the corner!- and bumped him off the track, then spun all by himself with loads of room to do whatever. And you blame the other guy. :drunk:

But no surprised, I already saw last race how you always admit when Massa does shit job. :lol:

#974 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:14

It's not because YOU said that Massa does a shit job that it's the truth. I respect your opinion - not like you with your stupid condescending tone - but i respect even more Laffite opinion for exemple, an ex F1 driver who comment the race for TF1.

It's not because i have Massa for avatar, and my pseudo is " Massa " that i'm biased, or that he is my favorite driver in F1, so try again Sherlock.

#975 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 714 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:32

Ferrari doesn't deserve WCC anyway.

That was not my point.
He has no consistency. Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg retirements yet P7. Bad for the WCC. He could not even fight with Vettel because his fight with Webber. Bad for the WDC. I don¡t know which targets Massa had for this race, but I bet he did not get them.
Drivers have some bad races during a F1 season. In his case, it seems that he has some good races in a F1 season and that's it.

I like him, and I think he is very good at giving stability to the team. I am sure Fernando and the team value his input about car set ups, but he really gets poor results too often...

#976 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:46

That was not my point.
He has no consistency. Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg retirements yet P7. Bad for the WCC. He could not even fight with Vettel because his fight with Webber. Bad for the WDC. I don¡t know which targets Massa had for this race, but I bet he did not get them.
Drivers have some bad races during a F1 season. In his case, it seems that he has some good races in a F1 season and that's it.

I like him, and I think he is very good at giving stability to the team. I am sure Fernando and the team value his input about car set ups, but he really gets poor results too often...

Flippy blamed Mark for the spin - in all honesty he probably was right when he said that he could not avoid the spin - pretty much any other driver OTOH could have...

Once again the old "never-my-fault" Flippy has surfaced.

#977 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:08

Flippy blamed Mark for the spin - in all honesty he probably was right when he said that he could not avoid the spin - pretty much any other driver OTOH could have...

Once again the old "never-my-fault" Flippy has surfaced.

He would love to have your cristal ball.

#978 discover23

discover23

• 3,944 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:09

Massa's tires were gone when he spun..

#979 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:53

Wacko Webbo shouda been penalized for unsafe return to track, period.

But, no, it wanst a good race from Felipe.

Advertisement

#980 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:58

Massa had a car fully alongside on the outside, braked too late, slid wide -he wasn´t even going to make the corner!- and bumped him off the track, then spun all by himself with loads of room to do whatever. And you blame the other guy. :drunk:

But no surprised, I already saw last race how you always admit when Massa does shit job. :lol:

If this were Reddit I'd be begging to upvote this more than once.

#981 tomjol

tomjol

• 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:00

Anyone who doubts why he spun, find footage of his onboard. He quite clearly shits himself when Webber comes flying past just millimetres away - and I don't blame him for a second.

#982 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:03

Wacko Webbo shouda been penalized for unsafe return to track, period.

That´s really stupid!! Mark was pushed off the track, and he came back leaving more than a car´s width for the car already in. Then he´s almost wiped out by the spinner.

Felipe outbraked himself, pushed other guy off the track, proceeded to spun by himself, and still blamed the other guy :lol:

To support Massa´s case, it´s not enough to be terribly biased, also clueless about racing!!

#983 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:06

Watch this. You could drive a bus in that gap. :wave:

#984 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:39

"Felipe baby, Alonso is spinning faster than you."

#985 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 00:15

Felipe outbraked himself, pushed other guy off the track

Watch the video again.

Felipe kept his line. Ok, he ran a bit wide, but he had the line. Then, clearly Massa had to avoid Webbo, who dangerously came right back to the middle of the track.

Clear penalty, imo.

#986 DESCHAIN

DESCHAIN

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:13

Watch this. You could drive a bus in that gap. :wave:

Onboard, so we can see what Massa actually saw, and not a "video game" POV.

Edited by DESCHAIN, 05 November 2012 - 02:14.

#987 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:49

Crap.

Massa ran Webber off the track in the first place, Webber was rejoining the track and (in my opinion) likely would have ceded position to Massa, but Massa did a Massa and spun all by himself on the next apex. From there, there's not a lot Webber could do aside from race on and see what the Stewards had to say.

Webber didn't interfere with Massa when he came back onto the track. Distracted, possibly. But it showed up Felipe as being weak of mind if that's the case.

#988 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:52

It was Webber's fault..
If you look at the No 2 drivers of the top teams and their points scored since Massa turned his season around in Hungary we have :

Button = 85
Massa = 72
Webber = 47
Grosjean = 29

So who is crap really who should be fired?

Funny, but I thought the season was over 20 races and the ones before Massa 'turned his season around' counted too? :rolleyes:

Selective reporting has become the hallmark of Massa's supporters.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 05 November 2012 - 02:53.

#989 discover23

discover23

• 3,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:54

And everyone agrees that Massa had a horrible horrible first half but after that big slump he is been better than Webber for example and a consistent point scorer.

Edited by discover23, 05 November 2012 - 02:56.

#990 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:01

Webber's had two gearbox penalties, and his KERS seems to work intermittently. Since his win in Britain, Mark's barely had a clean trouble-free weekend on his side of the garage.

Massa?

'better than Webber'..... whatever floats your boat mate.

#991 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:21

Crap.

Massa ran Webber off the track in the first place, Webber was rejoining the track and (in my opinion) likely would have ceded position to Massa, but Massa did a Massa and spun all by himself on the next apex. From there, there's not a lot Webber could do aside from race on and see what the Stewards had to say.

Webber didn't interfere with Massa when he came back onto the track. Distracted, possibly. But it showed up Felipe as being weak of mind if that's the case.

You've gotta understand the corner a bit. You come off the highest curb on the track and try and get the power down quickly before the braking zone for the next left-hander. Massa's problem was that he was trying to put down the power, but instead of being able to keep the steering somewhat straight and go towards the right side of the track, he had to allow for Webber zooming back on track and thus had to take a tighter line. This meant a more 'left' steering angle, which after coming off the high curb, meant an unstable car.

Its Massa's fault when it comes down to it, cuz it was up to him to judge the situation, but it was a very easy mistake to make and he certainly did make it because of trying to avoid Webber. Its not as black and white as some of y'all are trying to paint it.

#992 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:21

Onboard, so we can see what Massa actually saw, and not a "video game" POV.

That was even worse for Flippy - he already had clipped the curb and started spinning before Mark even came back on track.

#993 speedmaster

speedmaster

• 3,738 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:23

Skinnyguy and his Massa hate will be the next in line for the same crowbar that victimized Baumgarten six years ago... year in, year out many criticize Massa but as a Fenix he reborn from the ashes, signs a contract, earn millions of dollars to have the profession we would die for... be aware that envy is a sin and it may hurt you in your way up... :wave:

Edited by speedmaster, 08 November 2012 - 16:24.

#994 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:18

Skinnyguy and his Massa hate...

I couldn´t care less about how Massa does. I´m just stating the obvious: 1)He´s the shadow of the driver he once was 2)he hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari, and 3)he´s blaming others for his mistakes. If it hurts your fanboy mind I can´t do anything. Go learn something about other forum users that have no problem admitting when their driver is doing a poor job instead of calling haters the one stating the obvious.

#995 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,682 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:20

You've gotta understand the corner a bit. You come off the highest curb on the track and try and get the power down quickly before the braking zone for the next left-hander. Massa's problem was that he was trying to put down the power, but instead of being able to keep the steering somewhat straight and go towards the right side of the track, he had to allow for Webber zooming back on track and thus had to take a tighter line. This meant a more 'left' steering angle, which after coming off the high curb, meant an unstable car.

Its Massa's fault when it comes down to it, cuz it was up to him to judge the situation, but it was a very easy mistake to make and he certainly did make it because of trying to avoid Webber. Its not as black and white as some of y'all are trying to paint it.

I agree. Mark was returning to the track after having left it and he should not interfere with other cars when retaking the track. Others should not have to take avoiding action. It is not merely a question of avoiding contact, there should be no interference at all with drivers on the racing line IMO.

#996 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:20

Watch the video again.

Felipe kept his line. Ok, he ran a bit wide, but he had the line. Then, clearly Massa had to avoid Webbo, who dangerously came right back to the middle of the track.

Clear penalty, imo.

Priceless.

#997 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,682 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:21

I couldn´t care less about how Massa does. I´m just stating the obvious: 1)He´s the shadow of the driver he once was 2)he hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari, and 3)he´s blaming others for his mistakes. If it hurts your fanboy mind I can´t do anything. Go learn something about other forum users that have no problem admitting when their driver is doing a poor job instead of calling haters the one stating the obvious.

Factually incorrect.

#998 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:24

Factually incorrect.

Ok, ok. He hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari according to everyone except the guy that had to decide if he would stay or not. :rolleyes:

#999 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,682 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:29

Ok, ok. He hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari according to everyone except the guy that had to decide if he would stay or not. :rolleyes:

Yeah. He hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari according to everyone except Ferrari. :)

Advertisement

#1000 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:43

Yeah. He hasn´t done enough to stay in Ferrari according to everyone except Ferrari. :)

And it's costing them the WCC.