Photo

Felipe Massa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1115 replies to this topic

#1051 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,091 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

Impressive end to the season for Massa. He's beginning to remind me of the Massa from 2008 and early 2009. Now I only hope he can start a season like this, then he can give Alonso a serious run for his money.

Advertisement

#1052 mastermind

mastermind

• 45 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:29

Couldn't keep track of him today, he was all over the place! Good drive though to get another podium.

Let's hope he can hit the ground running in 2013.

#1053 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 652 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:43

Impressive end to the season for Massa. He's beginning to remind me of the Massa from 2008 and early 2009. Now I only hope he can start a season like this, then he can give Alonso a serious run for his money.

Yeah, pretty good races by him recently.

I love his new helmet design, reminds me on Schumacher. :D

#1054 Junky

Junky

• 298 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:44

Would be great for Ferrari and F1 that in the next year Massa coluld match Alonso in all races. If he maintains the momentum into 2013, maybe we'll see Massa fighting for the championship.

#1055 Junky

Junky

• 298 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:46

Would be great for Ferrari and F1 that in the next year Massa coluld match Alonso in all races. If he maintains the momentum into 2013, maybe we'll see Massa fighting for the championship.

#1056 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:49

Massa might keep his form, but considering his lost status, he is a pretty much guaranteed nro 2 from the beginning. Unless Alonso scores five zeroes in row in the beginning, there is no way Massa be treated as nro 1 or equal driver.

#1057 KavB

KavB

• 1,146 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:50

This is the Felipe who can win races! It's awesome to see him back to his best. If he can do this from the first race then he can be a title contender next year.

If you take into account the Ferrari wasn't as good as the McLaren or Red Bull, you could say that Massa has had a season just as or nearly as good as Webber or Button. He only finished 50-60 points behind which is a gap you would expect considering the pace difference of the cars.

#1058 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:50

Lets hope that this momentum doesn't just disappear in 2013, an actual title challenge would be much appreciated.

#1059 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,922 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:04

Massa is driver of the day. He really made an impression on me today. If he wasn't too occupied with looking out for Alonso, he could have been challenging for the race victory.

Advertisement

#1060 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:06

Massa might keep his form, but considering his lost status, he is a pretty much guaranteed nro 2 from the beginning. Unless Alonso scores five zeroes in row in the beginning, there is no way Massa be treated as nro 1 or equal driver.

Felipe has had quite a strong comeback from total oblivion. Unfortunately for him there is zero way he will win anything as long as he drives for Scuderia Alonso.

#1061 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,785 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:09

Massa is driver of the day. He really made an impression on me today. If he wasn't too occupied with looking out for Alonso, he could have been challenging for the race victory.

he looked for alonso VERY well. covered his back as hard as he could when Alonso was struggling in traffic and it really takes skill to do that (and not crash into anybody by being too careful).

I am just glad he has his pace back, today he was GREAT and if he starts the season like this Fred will have to up his game (which I think he can).

This is just great news for Ferrari

#1062 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:10

:up:

#1063 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,353 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:16

Such a shame seeing Massa getting sh!t on time and again when he's driving better than Alonso. Think of all the extra wins and points him and Barrichello would have had down the years. And all for nothing. Not one of these shameful robbings of wins by Ferrari from Massa or Barrichello have helped Alonso or Schumacher win a title. Just made loads of people hate Ferrari.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 25 November 2012 - 20:45.

#1064 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,091 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:21

Felipe has had quite a strong comeback from total oblivion. Unfortunately for him there is zero way he will win anything as long as he drives for Scuderia Alonso.

Who knows. Everybody thought Raikkonen was number one at Ferrari as well, yet it was Massa who got the chance in 2008.

#1065 DaiMOn

DaiMOn

• 200 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:26

:D

Posted Image

#1066 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:27

Felipe was very very good today and he put a massively impressive drive for Alonso. He drove bravely, quickly and fairly. A welcome return to form and I hope he can get off on the right foot next year.

#1067 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:31

The kiss in high res & the mood in PC after the race

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1068 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,353 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:41

Face says it all. Driving for Ferrari should be the dream. It's turned into a nightmare for the poor guy.

#1069 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,229 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:47

Awesome today. I've found myself saying this for the last few months. A welcome sight.

#1070 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,303 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:48

Next season will be epic if Massa can mix it with Alonso from the start
Great to see he's doing well again. Also it helps squash the "Massa > Raikkonen so Raikkonnen and Grosjean are only average theory"

#1071 DaiMOn

DaiMOn

• 200 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:49

To be honest I can't see Felipe win this. Jens was just too fast. He could've been 2nd, now he is 3rd... He had an awful first half of the season, so it was clear that he should help Fernando.

He was great today. When he lost positions against the Red Bulls I thought it's over, but he recovered. Everyone knows that he was fantastic today, so I don't know why is he disappointed.

(Okay, maybe the "Fernando, you're the Nr.1 for us." strip under the podium wasn't the best decision from the team... but still.)

#1072 Massa

Massa

• 4,401 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:51

He drove like a boss today. He was wonderful when he was behind Alonso, and once he manage to put Koba out of DRS zone he was very fast. He is great since spa, i hope we will see the true Massa back next year too. Really, like a BOSS today.

#1073 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:58

I hope he will keep the strong showing next year. He always had my sympathy for showing that despite all his off moments, he could give the supposed absolute bests a run for their money.

#1074 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:08

Face says it all. Driving for Ferrari should be the dream. It's turned into a nightmare for the poor guy.

I agree to an extent. Sometimes Ferrari have went too far, in my opinion, in making him perform number 2 driver duties. He's only been on the pace of Alonso since Korea though? He needs to be on the pace from the first practice session in '13 to avoid the same treatment next season.

#1075 Massa

Massa

• 4,401 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:15

A nightmare ? If Massa was considered one of the fastest driver in F1, if he had 11 win, 15 poles, 35 podiums, it's beacause Ferrari give him some cars who were able to do this. If he is a Ferrari driver, it's because his team was very smart with him.

If he want Alonso to be his " dog " next year, he know what he have to do.

Edited by Massa, 25 November 2012 - 23:18.

#1076 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:28

Yes, let's hope he won't remain the Sancho Pancha for Santander's Don Quijote for ever. :)

#1077 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 616 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:20

I thought Massa's move on Webber which allowed Alonso through was absolutely brilliant. Got alongside and got Mark wide, and then got on the brakes early knowing Fernando would zip through and take both of them. Teamwork at its finest when the WDC is on the line. Great drive today.

#1078 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:53

Massa must have got fairly close to getting Button in the final stops I imagine. Whilst they got a few calls wrong in the early part of the race, it was another excellent drive from Felipe.

My favourite part of the race was when Alonso made an error early in the race and Massa was trying to keep the rest of the field behind him, almost 4-a-breast.

I think though the most important words are "He needs to start 2013 like this."

Edited by ryan86, 26 November 2012 - 00:54.

#1079 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:39

Massa since Japan has been such a big improvement. He was matching and beating Alonso in places. Hope he keeps it up. :up: :up:

Advertisement

#1080 Morbus

Morbus

• 454 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:04

Yes, let's hope he won't remain the Sancho Pancha for Santander's Don Quijote for ever. :)

Is there any reason why he wouldn't? Really. Alonso is by far and away the most qualified, he's got the team around him, the fans around him, he's leading the development of the car. Of course there is a chance that Massa will outperform him someday, but only a Massa fan would actually expect that to happen. Nothing wrong it it, but there's not really any reason to expect it.

#1081 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,176 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38

It's funny how many in this thread try to degrade Felipe & Ferrari. They are quick to remember the past 4 or 5 races but slow to remember the previous 15 races or even last year. The point of the comments are to obviously degrade Ferrari because a quick look back through the thread shows none were giving words of encouragement when things were only going poorly. In other words, you're exposed for what you are.

Me personally, I'm a Ferrari guy, regardless of the driver although I will admit I've grown fond of Fernando over the past few years. But people must remember ths is a team. I don't see whining about Mark moving over for Seb, yet it brought up in both the Felie & Fernano forums. Par for the course.

I hope Felipe can maintain th momentum and come into 2013 as strong. Ferrari could ten properly mount a WCC challenge. As for this year, unfortunately Felipe was a day late & a dollar short. It's blatantly obvious why Ferrari broke the seal on his gearbox in Austin. He could help the one Ferrari driver who had a chance.

If Felipe can start 2013 off strong and compete with his teammate he will be in a very good position in the team. One that won't sacrifice his result for the good of the team. But this year it was too late. While spectacular that he regained his form it was of little use to winning the Championship which is exactly why what happened in Austin took place to begin with.

I hope Felipe can start of 2013 strong and continue for the rest of the season. He is no chump and still has pace, it's up to him to prove it once again. If this happens there won't be any team orders until it gets to the point of deciding the Championship which may or may not require either Scuderia Ferrari driver moving over for the other. Forza Felipe!

#1082 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:19

It was the typical "Massa season" again. Out of the title race after 50% of the races and then driving a stronger final half. It is unfortunate that he had to help Alonso, but this is a result of his performance over the whole season.

#1083 wonderwall

wonderwall

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:22

Strong comeback. Hopefully this shuts up the clowns who were calling him the worst driver on the grid and calling for the likes of Heikki and Perez to replace him.

#1084 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:00

Strong comeback. Hopefully this shuts up the clowns who were calling him the worst driver on the grid and calling for the likes of Heikki and Perez to replace him.

Somewhat agree. A strong comeback yes but a top driver cannot be as piss-poor as he was 1st half of the season.

#1085 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:34

If Felipe can start 2013 off strong and compete with his teammate he will be in a very good position in the team. One that won't sacrifice his result for the good of the team. But this year it was too late. While spectacular that he regained his form it was of little use to winning the Championship which is exactly why what happened in Austin took place to begin with.

I hope Felipe can start of 2013 strong and continue for the rest of the season. He is no chump and still has pace, it's up to him to prove it once again. If this happens there won't be any team orders until it gets to the point of deciding the Championship which may or may not require either Scuderia Ferrari driver moving over for the other. Forza Felipe!

I agree with this point, and I think it should also be mentioned that he helped to beat McLaren in the WCC and achieve an improbable 2nd place for Ferrari.

I can see some vigorous scraps between Fernando and Felipe next season, and I just hope it is in the context of the car being competitive for race wins.

#1086 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:36

Somewhat agree. A strong comeback yes but a top driver cannot be as piss-poor as he was 1st half of the season.

That was pretty close to career ending form, but he has just about survived it. He can't afford for that to happen again (for the fourth time), IMO, as such dips in form would mean he can't be relied on to be a WDC contender (whereas Fernando can).

#1087 wonderwall

wonderwall

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:36

Like Button was or like Webber has been for half the season?

#1088 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:39

Massa's form was worse than that. They were both race winners at various points of the season, for example, and stayed in contention for the WDC much longer.

Edit: I am quite supportive of Massa but there is no point in being in denial.

Edited by garoidb, 26 November 2012 - 08:40.

#1089 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:41

Neither of them was as horribly poor as Felipe was in the 1st half. Yes, ups and downs for both JB and MW here and there but Felipe was just awful in every respect.

edit:typo

Edited by Konsta, 26 November 2012 - 08:41.

#1090 wonderwall

wonderwall

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:53

Massa's form was worse than that. They were both race winners at various points of the season, for example, and stayed in contention for the WDC much longer.

Edit: I am quite supportive of Massa but there is no point in being in denial.

and Massa's car was much worse than theirs in the first half of the season. Big point many ignored. When Webber qualified 0.5 behind Vettel he still gets on the front row, while Massa was out of the top 10. If Webber had been in the F2012 he would have been equally horrific. People still don't understand just how bad the F2012 was.

#1091 Massa

Massa

• 4,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:30

When Alonso was very fast at Malaysia Massa was nowhere. The same at Barcelona. At Canada he was faster than Alonso before he spun. At Germany once again he was in trouble, i think it was with Grosjean just after the start... But Alonso was in pole, Massa out in Q2. I forgot Melbourne, he was one second slower than Alonso.

Yes, Massa car was worst than Button and Webber, but the gap between Alonso and Massa was far bigger than the gap between Hamilton and Button and Vettel and Webber.

#1092 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:32

After a really bad start a strong comeback for Massa. I'm glad for him and he really seems to be a nice chap. :up:

With a better first half Ferrari could have been WCC. Not that you get anything from 'could have been'...

Edited by H2H, 26 November 2012 - 10:33.

#1093 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:51

Some people were making fun of Felipe crying in the podium. Later he apologised for this behaviour, but said "it came from the heart" and he couldnt help, after all the sh*t he went through, specially in front of his home crowd. Even the most critic Brazilian media had to acknowledge his ressurgence.

Well done Massa!

#1094 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54

Does anyone kno where we can find a translation of his speech in Portuguese?

I'm very interested in what he said, it was so emotional.

#1095 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:30

I thought Massa's move on Webber which allowed Alonso through was absolutely brilliant. Got alongside and got Mark wide, and then got on the brakes early knowing Fernando would zip through and take both of them. Teamwork at its finest when the WDC is on the line. Great drive today.

:up: :up: :up: :up:
I was really really impressed by MAS..

Look at WEB, who wanted to crash with VET yesterday.. very poor from Mark :down: :down:

#1096 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:54

Everybody PLEASE stop blabbering if you don't know what you're talking about :well:

During the first THIRD (not HALF) of the WDC, he was off the pace. And so was Alonso in terms of absolute car performance. But compared to Alonso he sucked big time. The up came in MONACO and since then the gap between the two drivers shrunk in most of the races. Why? Massa and Smedley took a different route in setting up the car, which suited Massa more. It helped him big time. He will probably never turn into a title contender again but most of the time (except some qualifyings) he surprised me with his performances, during the TWO THIRDS of this season. It was the same story with Schumacher last season, he had problems getting the most out of qualifying and had a major loss against Rosberg (just like Massa vs Alonso now) but picked it up during the races, if he wasn't TOO far back.

By the way: yesterday, Felipe was quite awesome in front of his home crowd!

Edited by Jejking, 26 November 2012 - 11:54.

#1097 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:08

Is there any reason why he wouldn't? Really. Alonso is by far and away the most qualified, he's got the team around him, the fans around him, he's leading the development of the car. Of course there is a chance that Massa will outperform him someday, but only a Massa fan would actually expect that to happen. Nothing wrong it it, but there's not really any reason to expect it.

I didn't say anything about 'expecting' anything. I am sure you know the difference between expecting and hoping? Anyways, a Massa fan I am not.

#1098 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:01

Here is the translation of Felipe's speech I was requesting:

#1099 bogi

bogi

• 3,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:55

Nice to have old Massa again :up: I hope he will be ''online'' soon as season starts.

Advertisement

#1100 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56

...up came in MONACO and since then the gap between the two drivers shrunk in most of the races. Why? Massa and Smedley took a different route in setting up the car, which suited Massa more. It helped him big time. He will probably never turn into a title contender again but most of the time (except some qualifyings) he surprised me with his performances, during the TWO THIRDS of this season.

By the way: yesterday, Felipe was quite awesome in front of his home crowd!

Yes, it seems the upgrades that came at the 1/3rd mark helped to close the gap mainly because Alonso was better at adapting to the chassis/Pirelli issues during the first 1/3.

For all the Felipe' fans:

How many points did Felipe' "give up" to Nando during the final 5 or 6 or 7 races?

Does anyone do a theoretical count on it?

I do know that in the final two races, Felipe' gave up some bigger points with the Grid Drop at Austin and then being the Wing Man at Interlagos...but does anyone know of other races where Felipe was told to back off and not challenge Nando?