Photo

VSCC Silverstone and HSCC Cadwell Park

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 retrospeed

retrospeed

• 94 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 20:50

We were in the right place at the right time. Well done VSCC, how do you manage the weather? And what a great circuit Cadwell Park is, truly a mini-Nurburgring. If Im allowed to mention, we have full reports and images. Just google retro-speed.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:15

Posts from the VSCC meeting here on the Historic race meeting thread , Peter http://forums.autosp...p;#entry4988794

#3 harbee

harbee

• 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:45

Posts from the VSCC meeting here on the Historic race meeting thread , Peter http://forums.autosp...p;#entry4988794

Could anyone confirm my assumption that there is no VSCC meeting at Oulton this year, very sad if true.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:50

Could anyone confirm my assumption that there is no VSCC meeting at Oulton this year, very sad if true.

Yes.

#5 harbee

harbee

• 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:55

Yes.

Are there any specific reasons for it not happening? just curious, and disappointed.

#6 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:11

Are there any specific reasons for it not happening? just curious, and disappointed.

Costs v revenue.

#7 retrospeed

retrospeed

• 94 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:28

Ops. Sorry Alan still finding my way around.

#8 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:17

VSCC race organisation is not that clever.

No Oulton and Donington in May rather than September.

Supposed that VSCC failed to notice the Legends Pre War race this weekend when they organised date.

Very few decent races for Proper Pre War Sports Cars.Pity.

Its a general trend of organizers not understanding what their customers want.

Peter Spa organisation taking same date as annual Masters Brands for same cars.Nonsense!

No wonder some of us are giving up or cutting back.It's a grand (Euro) per race before you start spending money.

You can do an open race at Snetterton this weekend for 175 Quid with 360 Motor Club.Bring it and run it .Treaded tyres.Some places open

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 13:54

VSCC race organisation is not that clever.

No Oulton and Donington in May rather than September.

Supposed that VSCC failed to notice the Legends Pre War race this weekend when they organised date.

Very few decent races for Proper Pre War Sports Cars.Pity.

Its a general trend of organizers not understanding what their customers want.

Are you the same John Ruston who posts on the VSCC forum? If so, you know as much about it as I do, but if not I would say that it isn't ever that simple.
Prime dates at racing venues are usually snapped up by the big revenue-earners and the rest are fitted in as and when they can manage it. The date change from September to May was Donington's change, not the Club's. I think the Wiltshire Legends are involved at Donington, so presumably their dates are known to VSCC.
For the last couple of years I understand that the Proper Pre War Sports Cars had a race at each meeting and they were well-supported. Perhaps you would have preferred them to be longer races which would be nice, but VSCC race organisers have always tried for around 10 races per meeting (to give more competitors a go) so there isn't time for many longer races.

#10 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 14:31

The VsCC could have had September date at Donington.
Yes I am the same one.

#11 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 15:36

Meanwhile , back at a proper race circuit , wasn't the HSCC Cadwell just sublime- perfect weather, great racing (loved the 1 litre F3 screamers) and the circuit has never looked better since I first attended in 1975. And to see and hear a Spitfire fly over the SW part of the track during the FF2000 race ...perfection.

#12 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 16:21

SEE and hear? Do you mean to say that you were able to take your eyes off the Historic FF2000 race?

Seriously though, the consensus of the HFF2K fraternity is that it was one of the most enjoyable meetings we've ever had. Jonathan P flew in just before our race on Monday and stood to watch for a while with the spectators before flying off again. Apparently MSV were very happy with the event, so I would hope there's a good chance of it becoming a feature in years to come. Let's hope that the date of Easter can be fixed before too long...

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 17:21

Let's hope that the date of Easter can be fixed before too long...

Wouldn't it just be wonderful if we could return to the days when the dates of meetings were fixed points in the calendar from one year to the next? Easter Monday always meant Goodwood and August Bank Holiday meant the Guards Trophy at Brands.

We could learn something from the French here - Angouleme is always the third weekend in September, come what may, while the Goodwood Revival is at the mercy of the eff-wun calendar.

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 17:25

while the Goodwood Revival is at the mercy of the eff-wun calendar.

The way his Lordship's going, it won't be long before it's the other way round!

#15 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 17:31

Wouldn't it just be wonderful if we could return to the days when the dates of meetings were fixed points in the calendar from one year to the next? Easter Monday always meant Goodwood and August Bank Holiday meant the Guards Trophy at Brands.

....and March was the Race of Champions, April the International Trophy. We had it tough in those days:)

#16 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 17:37

SEE and hear? Do you mean to say that you were able to take your eyes off the Historic FF2000 race?

Seriously though, the consensus of the HFF2K fraternity is that it was one of the most enjoyable meetings we've ever had. Jonathan P flew in just before our race on Monday and stood to watch for a while with the spectators before flying off again. Apparently MSV were very happy with the event, so I would hope there's a good chance of it becoming a feature in years to come. Let's hope that the date of Easter can be fixed before too long...

Only when they were out of sight from my vantage point at Coppice..! A spot which very few folk seem to bother to stand at-and if you get it right you can watch 5 different overtaking points. Just like Silverstone. Not.

JP was talking very seriously about making it an Easter fixture- they do already at Oulton- Easter is F3/GTs and August Bank hol is T' Gold Cup.

Now all I need to do is get MSV to take over the running of Croft from BARC - the words piss up and brewery spring to mind.(Sample experience on Saturday - can I have a programme- no mate we aint got none.Check out link on website for organising club to see if it's worth dropping in on Sunday(it's only 20 minutes away). Link doesn't work. Call in on spec and find a VW Fun Cup race in progress. Establish it has run for an hour and has another 3 to run. Words fail me- whoever was having the fun hadn't paid their £12 to watch this dross..)

#17 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 17:38

The VsCC could have had September date at Donington.
Yes I am the same one.

Since Richard Winchester posted this on the VSCC Forum you will understand that I am confused:

Late on Christmas Eve and after the Newsletter had gone to print the circuit management at Donington changed our date from the one previously published and the one shown in the January Newsletter and Wall Planner. The date for Donington is now confirmed as:
Saturday/Sunday 21/22 May 2011

You wrote then (well a month later, but near enough) The September date was so much better.
Unfortunate decision as that date was available
in which case why did Donington change it.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 26 April 2011 - 17:39.

#18 retrospeed

retrospeed

• 94 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 19:25

Meanwhile , back at a proper race circuit , wasn't the HSCC Cadwell just sublime- perfect weather, great racing (loved the 1 litre F3 screamers) and the circuit has never looked better since I first attended in 1975. And to see and hear a Spitfire fly over the SW part of the track during the FF2000 race ...perfection.

It was my first visit to Cadwell, what a great circuit. Better keep it a secret.

#19 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:48

....and March was the Race of Champions, April the International Trophy. We had it tough in those days:)

My memory of the International Trophy or rather the Daily Express sponsored meeting was that it was usually in early May, but perhaps I'm going back too far into the dim and distant.

Advertisement

#20 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 13:21

The first couple of International Trophies (1949 and 50) were in August. After that it was always in May (apart from 1957 - September, presumably because of Suez) until 1967 when it was run in April for the first time. From then on (apart from 1971 - May) it stayed in April, with the odd foray into March, until the last proper F1 event in 1978.

#21 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 13:39

The first couple of International Trophies (1949 and 50) were in August. After that it was always in May (apart from 1957 - September, presumably because of Suez) until 1967 when it was run in April for the first time. From then on (apart from 1971 - May) it stayed in April, with the odd foray into March, until the last proper F1 event in 1978.

Once the Spanish GP became established and, in the early 1970s, the Grand Prix calendar had more early season races, I can see why the International Trophy was shuffled back from pre-Monaco mid-May into April, or occasionally even into March. I wonder why though, in 1969, with no GP between March 1st and May4th, we were saddled with a cold, wet day at the end of March. Presumably, given the supeb array of racing in Britain at the time, Silverstone was trying not to clash with the F5000, F2 and Sportscar races. I still would have thought mid to late April might have suited teams and spectators. Still, too many appetising races was a nice problem to have for British racegoers!

#22 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 13:54

I wonder why though, in 1969, with no GP between March 1st and May4th, we were saddled with a cold, wet day at the end of March.

Agreed - but if it hadn't rained that day we probably wouldn't have one of Jochen's greatest drives to reminisce about. :clap: