Photo

Jack Myers Memorial

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 22:25

Does anyone know what happened to the beautiful memorial plaque - crafted by the late Alan Puckett - that was at Silverdale Hillclimb?

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 23:19

No, but I did take a pic of the Jack Meyers car at Birdwood yesterday.

#3 Stinky

Stinky

• 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 00:45

Hullo Greg;
When Silverdale closed the plaque was moved to Amaroo.
Used to be in the wall outside the Control Tower.
When Amaroo closed I believe the plaque was given to the family.
As far as I know it was then donated to the museum in South Australia and is alongside the car.
Will try to verify this for you.
Cheers.
Roger.

#4 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:21

Hullo Greg;
When Silverdale closed the plaque was moved to Amaroo.
Used to be in the wall outside the Control Tower.
When Amaroo closed I believe the plaque was given to the family.
As far as I know it was then donated to the museum in South Australia and is alongside the car.
Will try to verify this for you.
Cheers.
Roger.

That is right, when Amaroo was closing I asked what was happening to the plaque as I didn't want it lost or forgotten. I was told that Jack's widow was going to be presented the plaque and it would be going to South Australia.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:38

Of interest is the fact that Jim Robson is still going strong down in Tasmania...

And Jack's widow's name was Joyce.

#6 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:18

Glad to see that the Jack Meyers memorial plaque has found the appropriate home. Also, it's nice to know that Jim Robson "still going strong", Ray.

When I joined the VSCCA in 1961, Jack & Joyce Meyers, along with Jim & Paddy Robson, along with Gordon Stewart, were some of the main players in the very successful Silverdale Hillclimb. Jim & Paddy ran a small printing business in Mansfield Ave, Caringbah.

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GMACKIE, 27 April 2011 - 21:31.

#7 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:48

I think Jim Robson is 93 now, I am in touch with him quite a bit being one of the few survivors of the Stewart MG crew of five, "Ecurie Cinque"
He lost Paddy a few years ago.

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 20:57

Would you mind saying 'hello' to Jim for me, Dick?

Ecurie Cinque! That hits the 'nostalgia button'. I seem to recall that Barry Herbert and Ian Heather were 'members' of that group?

Cheers,

Greg

#9 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:21

No, but I did take a pic of the Jack Meyers car at Birdwood yesterday.

We are waiting Lee. :rolleyes:

#10 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 21:45

I think Jim Robson is 93 now, I am in touch with him quite a bit being one of the few survivors of the Stewart MG crew of five, "Ecurie Cinque"
He lost Paddy a few years ago.

Dick,
Would you also pass on my regards to Jim.
Jim and Paddy were always supportive of my efforts and I have many fabulous memories of Silverdale and the people that made it all possible.

Erol Richardson

#11 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 21:58

If you go to this site
http://aussieroadrac.../Shepherd1.html

and scroll down to the pic of Jack and the WM Cooper at Mt Druitt, next to the large guy in the dust coat - is my dad.
I must be lurking there also.

When my dad and I first rebuilt the Austin 7 engine, Jack organised the machining and balanceing.
Often wonder about Jack's son and daughter - Peter and Louis.

Erol

#12 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 00:19

Erol
Lois contacted me long ago ( 1984?)about various things. Her married name was Bilby, she was well and happy, and of all things was at Dubbo Zoo investigating the small animal bearing her married surname

#13 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:07

We are waiting Lee. :rolleyes:

Sorry, got it into the computr and it is badly blurred, as is the Elfin one I took too. Operator error!!

#14 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:03

Oppsssss. :o

#15 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:39

Dick,
Would you also pass on my regards to Jim.
Jim and Paddy were always supportive of my efforts and I have many fabulous memories of Silverdale and the people that made it all possible.

Erol Richardson

Hi Erol and Greg, I will certainly pass on your best wishes to Jim, I am sure he will welcome your good wishes. I should also mention that he recently gave me a Silverdale Hillclimb sticker which sits proudly on the nose of the Stewart MG which Jim was so closely associated with and ran at Silverdale many times.

And back to Jack Myers, my Nota Major wears a Jack Myers alloy rocker cover.

#16 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:58

Hi Erol and Greg, I will certainly pass on your best wishes to Jim, I am sure he will welcome your good wishes. I should also mention that he recently gave me a Silverdale Hillclimb sticker which sits proudly on the nose of the Stewart MG which Jim was so closely associated with and ran at Silverdale many times.

Many thanks, Dick. Silverdale is where it all started for me [50 years ago], and I have many fond memories of the Hillclimb, and the people involved.

One of my most prized trophies is a tiny 'Under 40' badge, also designed by Alan Puckett.

#17 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:15

Does anyone have a pic of the memorial plaque? I loved Alan Puckett's work and saw Jack and the WM Cooper at Caversham in 1957. There are pics of the car in the Whiteman Park museum, showing the Waggott head.
Posted Image
'57 AGP at Caversham--Pic by David Van Dal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#18 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:03

I visited the Birdwood Museum today the Myers Cooper Holden is still on display there.

#19 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:03

Please pass on my best wishes when you are next in contact with Jim Robson, Dick. I was a VSCCA member from around 1961/62, made my competition debut at Silverdale in 1964 and enjoyed many a day there. It was the 'Warwick Farm' of hillclimbing and Jim and Paddy were the heart and soul of the place. They backed up their commitment by buying the place when the VSCCA's lease came under threat and, although that caused a major split within the club, they proved that their only motive was to preserve access to the hillclimb.

Advertisement

#20 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:22

Please pass on my best wishes when you are next in contact with Jim Robson, Dick. I was a VSCCA member from around 1961/62, made my competition debut at Silverdale in 1964 and enjoyed many a day there. It was the 'Warwick Farm' of hillclimbing and Jim and Paddy were the heart and soul of the place. They backed up their commitment by buying the place when the VSCCA's lease came under threat and, although that caused a major split within the club, they proved that their only motive was to preserve access to the hillclimb.

Spot on, Paul. Jim and Paddy very quickly sold their waterfront home on Port Hacking, in order to secure Silverdale. Old Jim Bere [spelling?] wanted to sell the land, due to ill-health, and his neighbor wanted to buy it, so that he could literally destroy the hillclimb! The VSCCA were 'stuffing around', and The Robsons' quick action saved the day.

Jim and Paddy lived in a 'shack' at Silverdale, and traveled to Caringbah every day to run their printing business. They made a great sacrifice!

#21 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:46

Thanks Paul and Greg, via Jim I had obtained some old films not knowing just what was on them which I eventually had converted to DVD, picked it up yesterday at great expense and couldn't believe what was revealed. Some magnificent footage of Silverdale, lots of shots of the Stewart MG and Jack Myers both in the WM and the twin engined Cooper as well as close ups of the drivers. Although I ran there several times in 1966 and most of the film was shot in around 1959 I couldn't believe how narrow and rough looking the hill was, plenty of shots of the cars exiting the tight left hander ( can't remember the name of the corner ) and heading up towards the final corner. I was surprised how many spectators were there and was reminded of the bush like surroundings. As well as the cars mentioned above there were lots of others shown too numerous to relate here.

I wish I could post the DVD on here so you could share in it.

#22 Jacer

Jacer

• 269 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 21:33

If you go to this site
http://aussieroadrac.../Shepherd1.html

and scroll down to the pic of Jack and the WM Cooper at Mt Druitt, next to the large guy in the dust coat - is my dad.
I must be lurking there also.

When my dad and I first rebuilt the Austin 7 engine, Jack organised the machining and balanceing.
Often wonder about Jack's son and daughter - Peter and Louis.

Erol

Erol, I mentioned somewhere in another thread that Jack's son works at Windsor exhausts in north western sydney.

#23 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:50

Would you mind saying 'hello' to Jim for me, Dick?

Ecurie Cinque! That hits the 'nostalgia button'. I seem to recall that Barry Herbert and Ian Heather were 'members' of that group?

Cheers,

Greg

Greg...I can put you in touch with Ian if you want to delve further. Cheers, Mick :)

#24 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:36

Greg...I can put you in touch with Ian if you want to delve further. Cheers, Mick :)

What did you have in mind, Mick........a seance? :rolleyes:

I was referring to the late Ian Heather Snr. Ian Jnr. [he is not known as 'Jnr. any more] is a VSCCA member, and I see him from time to time.

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:07

What did you have in mind, Mick........a seance? :rolleyes:

I was referring to the late Ian Heather Snr. Ian Jnr. [he is not known as 'Jnr. any more] is a VSCCA member, and I see him from time to time.

So you haven't seen me in turban and flowing robes yet???

The Ian I refer to is a Blue Mountains man....same, same??? :)

#26 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:18

That's Ian Heather Jnr. [but you don't call him that, now].......His dad was the Ian Heather that was involved with the Stewart MG.

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:40

This could take a while...

You knew Gordon Stewart too?

#28 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:10

Hi all,

I have contacted the curator at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood S.A. They have the WM Special in their collection, but not the memorial plaque to Jack Myers. Any other ideas to its whereabouts, or even a photo of it?

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:44

I have a notion there's a photo of it in Racing Car News somewhere...

I'll see if I can have a look.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 22:23

It's not in RCN September '63 to December '65...

But I feel sure it's somewhere. The other avenue is that Bill Forsyth is very likely to have photographed it, also Ray Simpson, as they did have an unveiling when it was set in place.

#31 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 22:03

Hi all,

I have contacted the curator at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood S.A. They have the WM Special in their collection, but not the memorial plaque to Jack Myers. Any other ideas to its whereabouts, or even a photo of it?

Rod, it may be worth contacting Tim Shellshear of the Vintage Sports Car Club of Australia. Tim is in charge of the club's archives, and may be able to help (sorry about that, Tim  :) ).

#32 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,622 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:45

95% sure I have a pic of the memorial in a retro Sports Car World article from late 60's or early 70's. Will post once I've found it.

#33 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:43

August 62 RCN ran this.

1962-RCN-JM-tribute-TNF.jpg

Probably worth asking at the Bathurst Motor Racing Museum. They have, or indeed had a Jack Myers display case of personal trinkets when I was last there in Feb 2015. Without finding my photos though, I can't exactly recall the contents.

Stephen

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 13:26

That's not the one I recall, Stephen...

The one at Catalina had him in profile, IIRC.

#35 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 00:13

Thanks Greg, Ray and Stephen, just after something for the 60th celebrations at Catalina Park next Friday. Rod

#36 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:54

May as well post mine too - nice bit of interest in the article.

Jack-Myers-Memorial.jpgJack-Myers-2.jpg

#37 chatswood47

chatswood47

• 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:22

Bathurst Light Car Club has the Jack Myers Memorial Gate at the entry on Conrod Straight but for the life of me I can't remember what the plaque states.Perhaps somebody with the book about the history of the club may be able to assist.

#38 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 18:43

The photos shown by Stephen and ellrosso are of the plaque mentioned in my O P. Thanks chaps.

I'd still like to know where it ended up...

#39 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 22:13

Bathurst Light Car Club has the Jack Myers Memorial Gate at the entry on Conrod Straight but for the life of me I can't remember what the plaque states.Perhaps somebody with the book about the history of the club may be able to assist.

THE BATHURST LIGHT CAR CLUB 1953 - 2003 page 39 shows the Jack Myers plaque from their Clubrooms unveiled 6/10/64. I'll try to take a photo and add later.

Stephen

Advertisement

#40 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:03

From Geoff Benson's BLCC Book

BLCC-Jack-Myers-plaque-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#41 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:28

I can't see the plaque in the Jack Myers display case at Bathurst Motor Racing Museum. Could still be worth a call to them though.

Bathurst-museum-Myers-display-case-TNF.j

Stephen

#42 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:45

Many thanks cooper997 for your persistence. So we now have photos of both plaques and know the location of one. I'll make some more enquiries, but maybe these photos will spark someone's memory. Thanks again, Rod 

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 14:32

You have the BLCC plaque...

And you have the Silverdale Hillclimb plaque.

But no pic so far of the Catalina Park plaque.

#44 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 22:15

Here is a photo of the Jack Myers gates at Catalina Park. Taken by Max Stahl in 1975.

4-Jack-Myers-gates-c-1975-Y.jpg

#45 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 22:25

But here is the really good news. Both Catalina Park plaques and the bronze one originally mounted at Silverdale have been located this month! After a 2 year search they were in a container at Sydney Motorsport Park. Jack's son and daughter have been made aware and both are thrilled. Son Peter will advise the ARDC of the family's wishes for their future locations.20230415-Jack-Myers-Catalina-Plaques.jpg20230415-Jack-Myers-Silverdale-Bronze-Pl  

Edited by RodChivo, 27 April 2023 - 22:27.

#46 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:06

Thanks for all the Info...

#47 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:17

Great outcome with the plaques being located. I guess they've been in the shipping container for a fair number of years.

Stephen

#48 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:58

Stephen, we now realise they had been in a pallet of ARDC Memorabilia stored high in the "Green Shed" at Sydney Motorsport Park as recently as May 2021. When that pallet couldn't be located earlier this year, things looked dire. Anyway, no point in dwelling on the past. The Catalina Park ones are in remarkably good condition and the Alan Puckett "bust" can be restored. 

#49 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:05

That's great that these have been located. I helped to clear out a lot of stuff from Amaroo after it closed and I guess these just got mixed up with everything else. 

There was another memorial gate at Catalina, the main entry had a plaque for one of the BMSDC committee men, I know that that plaque is with its family.

#50 RodChivo

RodChivo

• 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:54

Hi Michael, would that be the Bert Pattison gates at the entrance? Phillip Hammon referred to these recently on the Friends of Catalina Facebook page. Good to know they are safe. All part of the great circuit's proud history.