Cartoons by Rod Waller

• Please log in to reply
734 replies to this topic

#51 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:30

The Giddings smile is captured well there Rod,

Time for the silly question, when did the "Rod Waller" Tag become "Waller" I prefer the Waller only by the way,

Was it the 1979 recession we had to have?

Couldnt the Daily News not afford the ink???

I'll have to refer that one to my public relations department Thomas. Naturally they're under the pump so don't hold your breath! :lol:

Advertisement

#52 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:14

Love that one of Mike Sherrell. Blimey, there's a TC loyalist - he's been TCing for what, fifty years? I can remember him from the early days of the TC Owners club in the 60s (I wasn't a member. but it was a small car club world then.)

Rod, do you still have the marvellous autographed 3d Caversham model. What a trophy.

Terry, here's the plaque of the Caversham circuit with autographs of people who raced there. The three placegetters in the '57 AGP, Davison, Jones and Brabham, are in relief--about 1 cm deep. Bridges and pits are 3D. The good news, as mentioned on the "Sir Jack" thread, is that the proposed suburb adjacent to the old circuit is to be named "Brabham". Some recognition in Australia, at last, of his tremendous achievements.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#53 john medley

john medley

• 1,166 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:50

Rod
I know of but do not know Mike Sherrell -- but I suspect I would recognize him simply on the basis of that remarkable cartoon of yours.

Neither John Medley nor 7 year old Benny Medley had any trouble at all identifying Charlie Mitchell and Ed Farrar from your work.

Nice one

#54 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:48

Rod
I know of but do not know Mike Sherrell -- but I suspect I would recognize him simply on the basis of that remarkable cartoon of yours.

Neither John Medley nor 7 year old Benny Medley had any trouble at all identifying Charlie Mitchell and Ed Farrar from your work.

Nice one

:) Thanks John. That's really good to know!

#55 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:57

I hope a couple of speedway efforts are of interest; For the benefit of non-followers, Bob Tattersall was a top "midget" driver from Illinois who was introduced to Australian fans by the late Kym Bonython in 1958 and repeated the trip for the next twelve years. He was very successful and very popular, both here and in NZ and won the USAC midget crown in 1969. The scratch built model is of Bob in the Kurtis Kraft "Cascio Offy" which has been restored and is now Australian owned.
Posted Image

Laurie Matthews was a classmate of mine at highschool and by age sixteen he was racing midgets at Claremont Speedway. He won two state titles, twenty years apart but tragically did not live to make it to "the old blokes' home". Once more on the championship trail to the eastern states, [ in 1986 IIRC], the transporter rolled as he slept in the back and he was fatally injured.
Posted Image

#56 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 00:38

Newspaper illustration for a Euro Car Rally piece;
Posted Image

A Francophile friend and Peugeot fanatic, Kerry Torpy, always---- I mean ALWAYS---- keeps his cars spotless.....
Posted Image

And speaking of French cars....a place mat for a Rolls Royce rally dinner;
Posted Image

#57 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:25

I took this photo of one of Rod's great works of art this mural hangs in the motor museum of WA, Rod painted it from a b/w photo.
As the mural was in three panels the lines showed up in my original photo and these were photoshoped out by a late friend of mine,

Posted Image

#58 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:46

I took this photo of one of Rod's great works of art this mural hangs in the motor museum of WA, Rod painted it from a b/w photo.
As the mural was in three panels the lines showed up in my original photo and these were photoshoped out by a late friend of mine,

Posted Image

Another fantastic piece of art - great to see. Thanks for posting. :up:

#59 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:50

A Francophile friend and Peugeot fanatic, Kerry Torpy, always---- I mean ALWAYS---- keeps his cars spotless.....
Posted Image

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#60 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:06

Posted Image

Thanks Ken, Stephen and "Werks". A point about the start pictured; The field is away with Len Lukey in his Cooper Bristol leaping from the second row to briefly split Davison and Jones. Meanwhile at the rear of the grid [ extreme left], the crew of Peter Bond's Vanguard engined Bondley Special deal with a last minute problem!

#61 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:19

A tip for lazy cartoonists; Instead of trying to capture a host of likenesses, just cut out heads from photo's and paste 'em on! [CAMS' D K Thompson, Allan Moffat, Leo Geoghegan, Sir Jack, Norm Beechey, "Pete" Geoghegan and RCN contributors led by editor, Max Stahl.] Racing Car News Christmas cartoon, 1970.
Posted Image

Charlie Lawson's eightieth birthday. Charlie collects Nortons...
Posted Image

#62 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:16

Did you ever do anything on that unstoppable character, Clem Dwyer?

Bikes and cars right into his eighties...

#63 Cargo

Cargo

• 224 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:04

I've been trying to track down a particular cartoon I saw in MSport mag (I think) about 35 years ago. I thought it was by Russell Brockbank, but extensive web searches gave no result, so maybe it was by Mr Waller, as the styles seem to me to be similar.

The cartoon showed a small car driving through a dark, dirty industrial landscape, with a large, clear "bubble" coming out of the exhaust. The "bubble" showed sunshine, green fields, butterflies and blue skies. It was a comment on the new-fangled catalysts that were just being fitted to engines and indicated that exhaust fumes were now healthier than fresh air. Is that cartoon one of yours Rod?

#64 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:07

Did you ever do anything on that unstoppable character, Clem Dwyer?

Bikes and cars right into his eighties...

Hi Ray. Clem was indeed an enthusiastic and spritely character. I'm still looking for a couple of cartoons of him. In the meantime here are a few more;
Magazine article on wills;
Posted Image

The late Noel Aldous [above] went to school with Clem Dwyer, Alan Tomlinson and Norm Kestell and was similarly bitten by the racing bug. A true gentleman, Noel seemed an unlikely speedway driver but split his time between racing midgets and road racers. At one time he had a monoposto MG special that performed both duties, simply by changing the wheels. As the poster says, Noel won the handicap section of the '57 AGP in Syd Anderson's modified Austin Healey, so in a sense, two of the above four went on to become AGP winners! He won a heap of tinware besides this, over the years.

Posted Image

Actually "I" is for "Larry". My friend, the late Ilario Spano was a typical Italian in that the only cars worth knowing came from Italy. His father had a donkey in Calabria but Larry, through his successful business of restoring and dealing in mainly Alfas, Lancias and Fiats, wound up owning a "prancing horse".
Bottom pic; The late Syd Negus in his ex Rodney Nuckey, ex Alec Mildren Cooper Bristol.

#65 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:29

I've been trying to track down a particular cartoon I saw in MSport mag (I think) about 35 years ago. I thought it was by Russell Brockbank, but extensive web searches gave no result, so maybe it was by Mr Waller, as the styles seem to me to be similar.

The cartoon showed a small car driving through a dark, dirty industrial landscape, with a large, clear "bubble" coming out of the exhaust. The "bubble" showed sunshine, green fields, butterflies and blue skies. It was a comment on the new-fangled catalysts that were just being fitted to engines and indicated that exhaust fumes were now healthier than fresh air. Is that cartoon one of yours Rod?

Unfortunately not, Cargo. I haven't been published in that illustrious magazine but thanks for the compliment! It sounds like the sort of thing Russell Brockbank might have done.
Or possibly inspired. I don't know if he was still active at that time. I note that he passed away in 1979 :confused:

#66 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:46

It sounds a bit Road & Track to me...

Stan Mott?

#67 Cargo

Cargo

• 224 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:04

Thanks for the quick reply Rod. :)

It sounds a bit Road & Track to me...

Stan Mott?

Ray, you could be right about R/T...... and Stan Mott could be the artist. Actually, I should think that someone here on TNF may be able to remember it. Myself, I remember it so distinclty because it was a very clever idea and it was a full-page detailed cartoon, and not just a small panel. Pollution was a very topical subject then, the same cartoon would be even more topical now.

Anyway, will see if I can find something using new search terms ..... :)

#68 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:57

A program cover for the '04 Northam [ Western Australia] "Flying Fifty" meeting celebrated MG's eightieth birthday. Some notable ex-MG drivers were "imported" to the artwork for the occasion. [Artists' licence!] 1939 AGP winner, WA's own Allan Tomlinson in #12, a TA special which he and the late Clem Dwyer built; Tazio in #17; the late Bob Annear in black TF; Johnny Walker, #7 Byfield MG; the late Arthur Collett, #39 TC.
Posted Image

#69 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 17:16

What a fantastic talent, absolute joy and quite brilliant.

#70 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:01

What a fantastic talent, absolute joy and quite brilliant.

Thank you Richard. Another happy customer. That will keep me smiling all day! :)

#71 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:48

Your poster for the 50th anniversary of the 1951 AGP at Narrogin, showing four guys who participated in the 1951 AGP. I have it handy but can't scan it as I'm about 1 hour from heading to the airport and out of Oz to UK. They looked like John Cummins, Colin Uphill, Noel Aldous and Arthur Collett. That's a great one, Rod.

Edited by Terry Walker, 25 May 2011 - 02:50.

#72 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:06

Your poster for the 50th anniversary of the 1951 AGP at Narrogin, showing four guys who participated in the 1951 AGP. I have it handy but can't scan it as I'm about 1 hour from heading to the airport and out of Oz to UK. They looked like John Cummins, Colin Uphill, Noel Aldous and Arthur Collett. That's a great one, Rod.

Thanks Terry. Had a mishap or two with that one. At least you were able to identify the four characters. Have a good trip! :wave:

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:03

A digital photo, Terry...

That's all you need!

#74 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:16

A program cover for the '04 Northam [ Western Australia] "Flying Fifty" meeting celebrated MG's eightieth birthday. Some notable ex-MG drivers were "imported" to the artwork for the occasion. [Artists' licence!] 1939 AGP winner, WA's own Allan Tomlinson in #12, a TA special which he and the late Clem Dwyer built; Tazio in #17; the late Bob Annear in black TF; Johnny Walker, #7 Byfield MG; the late Arthur Collett, #39 TC.
Posted Image

It is all brilliant stuff. The more I look, the more there is to see.

#75 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:07

It is all brilliant stuff. The more I look, the more there is to see.

Thanks. I try to give it the works! :lol:

#76 Levin68

Levin68

• 56 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:17

These are wonderful Rod. I'm curious about the Flying 50 illustration: was there an inspiration for the young lady in the black top? :cool:

#77 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 13:23

These are wonderful Rod. I'm curious about the Flying 50 illustration: was there an inspiration for the young lady in the black top? :cool:

Thanks Peter. Not that I'm aware of. What does she have that the girl on her left doesn't? [other than more ink.] :love:

#78 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 13:44

I'm in awe - fantastic work. :) From someone who used to think he was pretty handy at drawing cars, you have totally shot me down. And to then add the caricatures and humour....sorry .... I'm out'a'here.
Thanks - great stuff :)

#79 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 14:20

Posted Image

Here's a delightful little story and I think this is the appropriate place for it. Noel [above] had a brother, Allan Aldous, who was a school headmaster in Victoria. Each end of year holiday he would take a sea trip to the UK and write a "boys' own" adventure novel during the voyage. On his arrival in London his story would be published and would pay for the trip. His series' fictional hero was "McGowan" and one of his books, inspired by his speed-loving brother, was titled "McGowan goes Motor Racing".
A copy of that book found its way to Indonesia where it became a prized and useful possession of Harry Pyle, a young Dutch boy grappling with the English language. After his relocation to Australia, Harry joined the MGTC Owners' Club where he met Noel's son, Graham, a TC diehard and was surprised to discover that "McGowan's" creator was none other than Graham's uncle. Harry still has the book. Harry and his wife Deidre were later to have an adventure of their own, driving their TC around the world. Deidre recorded the experience in her book, "TCs- Drive them till the roads wear out".

Edited by Repco22, 26 May 2011 - 13:47.

Advertisement

#80 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 14:25

I'm in awe - fantastic work. :) From someone who used to think he was pretty handy at drawing cars, you have totally shot me down. And to then add the caricatures and humour....sorry .... I'm out'a'here.
Thanks - great stuff :)

Thanks--- but don't go, Seldo! :|

#81 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 00:14

Thanks Peter. Not that I'm aware of. What does she have that the girl on her left doesn't? [other than more ink.] :love:

Peter, what Rod is trying to say in a dignified way, is that the Girl to her left is his favorite!!!

I think she might appear in other works by our famous Waller!!

I think that is correct isnt it Rod? A certain mole I have seen has a striking resemblance to her does she not?

#82 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:36

Peter, what Rod is trying to say in a dignified way, is that the Girl to her left is his favorite!!!

I think she might appear in other works by our famous Waller!!

I think that is correct isnt it Rod? A certain mole I have seen has a striking resemblance to her does she not?

Thomas, I think you mean "moll" and I'm sure she'd find the connection deeply offensive --- If she wasn't so two-dimensional! :lol:

#83 Levin68

Levin68

• 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:56

I'm sure both women are perfectly delightful. And not in the least moll-like, lest any real-life inspirations should take offence!

#84 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:34

I'm sure both women are perfectly delightful. And not in the least moll-like, lest any real-life inspirations should take offence!

You are possibly quite correct Peter. Im not sure what is worse being a Mole or a Moll, but might Rod enlighten you to the two (being Mole and Moll) we refer too which have absolutly nothing to do with the two girls in question in the poster. Now that I look at the Moll she has a beauty spot!

#85 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:57

You are possibly quite correct Peter. Im not sure what is worse being a Mole or a Moll, but might Rod enlighten you to the two (being Mole and Moll) we refer too which have absolutly nothing to do with the two girls in question in the poster. Now that I look at the Moll she has a beauty spot!

As the moll in question appeared in post 38 she's at risk of over-exposure so moving right along, here's a circuit map from a Northam "Round the Houses" program;
Posted Image

#86 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:25

Fair dinkum, these are the sort of jokers a bloke had to work with if he came up to Pommieland in the seventies and landed a job in an advertising agency...
Posted Image

About once a week, if you were unlucky, the big cheese would park his Ferrari in the mews and wearing his poncie sports shirt, poke his head in the door to see how "the plebs" were doing. Stone the crows, it'd drive a bloke to drink...
Posted Image

If I never got the flamin' job I coulda been in the movies. Ridgy didge!
Seriously, my three good-for-nothing mates carried on bumming around London pubs, met Barry Humphries and all got parts in his latest "The Adventures of Barry McKenzie" film.

#87 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:11

The late John Budgen [Western Australia], in his Dodge-engined special.
Posted Image

#88 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:35

Rod, your work absolutely blows my mind!
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

#89 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:38

The late John Budgen [Western Australia], in his Dodge-engined special.
Posted Image

(It is the expressions on the faces for me, they get me every time)

:) :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 28 May 2011 - 09:40.

#90 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:42

Rod, your work absolutely blows my mind!
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Hey thanks E1. Keep your hat on! :up: :)

#91 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:58

(It is the expressions on the faces for me, they get me every time)

:) :up:

Thanks Werks. I wish I could get them every time. Some faces are a gift--- some are #//~ difficult! :well:

#92 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:05

A poster for Peter Briggs' Fremantle museum, now unfortunately closed. A good few cars have been sold but his York [WA] motor museum continues.
Posted Image

And "Briggsy" in his Cobra.
Posted Image

#93 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:50

Hey thanks E1. Keep your hat on! :up: :)

You're Welcome! It's never hard to compliment great work! :up:

#94 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:17

You're Welcome! It's never hard to compliment great work! :up:

Now I'm having trouble getting MY hat on! :blush:

#95 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:02

On Saturday night an army of workers will descend on the town centre of Albany on Western Australia's south coast and begin building a racing circuit. They'll erect concrete barriers and remove obstacles including a roundabout on Aberdeen Street, making it a fast uphill straight. By Sunday morning all will be ready for the annual re-enactment of Australian "Round-The-Houses" racing which originated in Albany in 1936. For crowd safety reasons the events are now regularity competitions but spectators are nevertheless thrilled with the impression of vintage machines "racing".
Posted Image

#96 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,228 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:41

I hope they don,t have that trouble this weekend Rod ,The wife and I are in Esperance today and leaving for Albany tomorow. We have had a good trip across and we will see you on our way to Perth next week.

Edited by eldougo, 02 June 2011 - 10:43.

#97 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:58

I hope they don,t have that trouble this weekend Rod ,The wife and I are in Esperance today and leaving for Albany tomorow. We have had a good trip across and we will see you on our way to Perth next week.

Hi Doug. Don't forget there's a hillclimb at Mt Clarence on Saturday. Look forward to seeing you later. :)

#98 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:07

Rod and Doug make sure you see me on Sunday i have some RTH cds for you from Terry.I wiil be set up in front of the library.

#99 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:23

The irony of the early days...

Each of the three circuits raced on in Australia up to the end of 1936 were within sight of the Southern Ocean. Albany stood out, it had a Customs House and was truly 'Around the Houses'. And, like Phillip Island, avoided official bans on a pretext.

Advertisement

#100 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:57

The irony of the early days...

Each of the three circuits raced on in Australia up to the end of 1936 were within sight of the Southern Ocean. Albany stood out, it had a Customs House and was truly 'Around the Houses'. And, like Phillip Island, avoided official bans on a pretext.

Ray, can you elaborate on the "pretexts"?