Photo

Cartoons by Rod Waller

• Please log in to reply
734 replies to this topic

#101 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 13:20

Astonishingly good, please keep putting them up Rod. Any caricatures of well known figures in UK racing scene ?

Advertisement

#102 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 13:22

Albany was, as I understand it, just outside the jurisdiction of the Perth Police... so a ban they had didn't work there...

Phillip Island is a part of Victoria, Victoria had a ban on road racing but Phillip Islanders decided it didn't apply to them because it was an island.

#103 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 13:43

Albany was, as I understand it, just outside the jurisdiction of the Perth Police... so a ban they had didn't work there...

Phillip Island is a part of Victoria, Victoria had a ban on road racing but Phillip Islanders decided it didn't apply to them because it was an island.

Thankyou Ray, we learn a new thing every day dont we!!

When you say ban, who put on the ban and what was it a ban of?

#104 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 14:04

Astonishingly good, please keep putting them up Rod. Any caricatures of well known figures in UK racing scene ?

Thanks RTH. Just the ones of Stirl on page one. The following was drawn for an Australian Healey rally but the UK blokes asked if they could rehash it for local use. Number plates, a face or two, Sydney harbour bridge swapped for London Bridge etc. But they overlooked an Oz Rules footy game in the background!
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#105 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 14:14

Originally posted by BMH Comic
Thank you Ray, we learn a new thing every day don't we!!

When you say ban, who put on the ban and what was it a ban of?

The Victorian one was a ban on racing on public roads...

To make that clearer, perhaps it was a persistent refusal to allow road closures for racing. Road closures, as you would be aware, are permitted from time to time for various purposes. Parades, that sort of thing.

The WA situation I'm sure Terry Walker is more competent to answer. But as I recall, there was a Police ban (or refusal of applications) on any closures of roads for motor racing. Some sprints were allowed, but not all-out racing. If I'm not too far off beam from the story as I recall it from many years ago, the Perth Police Superintendent (or similar) had the power to allow or reject any such applications and had a mindset to reject them all.

But Albany was just outside his jurisdiction, so the WASCC wangled permission to get a race in at Albany when the celebration of a 'Back to Albany Week' was announced for 1936.

#106 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 22:51

To make it more embarrassing for the Police Superintendant his son was an entrant in the first event.

#107 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 00:02

The irony of the early days...

Each of the three circuits raced on in Australia up to the end of 1936 were within sight of the Southern Ocean. Albany stood out, it had a Customs House and was truly 'Around the Houses'. And, like Phillip Island, avoided official bans on a pretext.

Sorry to find a fly in the ointment, but there was the triangular course raced on at Benalla on April 13th 1936.

#108 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:13

The WA situation I'm sure Terry Walker is more competent to answer. But as I recall, there was a Police ban (or refusal of applications) on any closures of roads for motor racing. Some sprints were allowed, but not all-out racing. If I'm not too far off beam from the story as I recall it from many years ago, the Perth Police Superintendent (or similar) had the power to allow or reject any such applications and had a mindset to reject them all.

But Albany was just outside his jurisdiction, so the WASCC wangled permission to get a race in at Albany when the celebration of a 'Back to Albany Week' was announced for 1936.

Fortunately there was a change of attitude after the war as we all know, "Round the Houses" racing popped up in many WA country towns. My parents were to blame for introducing me to racing, as a four year old, at the 1946 Bunbury RTH meeting. I competed in WA's very last "real racing" RTH meeting which was at Geraldton in '65. :)

#109 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:36

Originally posted by David Shaw
Sorry to find a fly in the ointment, but there was the triangular course raced on at Benalla on April 13th 1936.

But wasn't the racing stopped by the Law?

#110 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:09

No, Vin Maloney won in his MG Magna. You may be thinking of the 1938? Wangaratta Grand Prix which was refused permission for road closures with only a week or so until the race.
http://trove.nla.gov.....onthInYear:04

Edited by David Shaw, 03 June 2011 - 05:10.

#111 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,226 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:43

We have just arrived in Albany and are set up in the Middleton Big4 park its stop raining and hopefully a GREAT weekend for all involved.Its 41 years since i was were my how time flys.I see you guys tomorrow.

#112 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:07

It isn't just the amazing craftsmanship of the actual drawing, but being able to think up the humourous situations which is quite remarkable.

Rod, I really do think your brain must be wired up in a far better way than the rest of us.
Because if I sat there for a thousand years I could never do any drawing like any of those, that is a rare talent indeed.

Are you still drawing today ?

Edited by RTH, 03 June 2011 - 11:11.

#113 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 13:06

I agree. It isn't just the drawing, which is exquisite enough.

There is also a very subtle, clever mind and eye at work. I could study the body language and the mannerisms all day, they are a great source of amusement to me.

I would like to ask which cartoonists you followed, Rod, before you turned pro?

Edit: I know you have already mentioned Terry Trowell at the Visor.

Edited by werks prototype, 03 June 2011 - 13:10.

#114 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 682 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 13:27

Love post #95 ... can I ask if car number 77 is a NOTA ?

#115 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 14:30

It isn't just the amazing craftsmanship of the actual drawing, but being able to think up the humourous situations which is quite remarkable.

Rod, I really do think your brain must be wired up in a far better way than the rest of us.
Because if I sat there for a thousand years I could never do any drawing like any of those, that is a rare talent indeed.

Are you still drawing today ?

Thanks Richard and Werks. I think you're overstating the case though. It's like any other job in that you start out with not much skill or knowledge and if you have the desire and spend long enough at it you improve. If you happen to work for a newspaper and are staring at a blank piece of paper, there is nothing like a deadline to motivate you!
Yes, I'm still freelancing a bit. I illustrate some books [mainly kids'] and seem to get more than a few requests for drawings of characters sitting in their cars.
Like a lot of Australian cartoonists, I was influenced by the late Paul Rigby who was in turn influenced by Ronald Searle and Giles.
But we tend to pick up bits from here and there. I liked JAK as well.

Patrick; number 77 is a Holden special, powered by a "grey" straight six from the fifties. #13 is a Vanguard special which was mentioned earlier, having trouble on the grid in that painting of the '57 AGP. #28 is the TC of Graham Aldous, whose dad, Noel, was pictured earlier. Graham wears a rugby union jumper and used to play for the state.
Richard, I've found a couple of drawings of people you might know, although one of them isn't a racing driver!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#116 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:19

Rod...........and you are trying to tell me that is not genius !!

#117 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,738 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 22:40

When I was a young lad, my Dad would come home from work with the newspaper, [the Sun?]. Without even looking at any of the 'important' stuff, I searched for the Emile Mercier cartoon, and went over all the little details carefully, chuckling all the way.

Some 60 odd years later, I now find myself on this forum, searching for the 'Cartoons by Rod Waller' thread. Thank you , Rod for what you have done, and are doing. Marvelous.

Cheers,

Greg

#118 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:52

Rod...........and you are trying to tell me that is not genius !!

:blush: !!! Richard, one of the newspaper sub-editors I worked with actually BOUGHT the original of "Mick" so I suppose it must have been alright!

#119 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:13

When I was a young lad, my Dad would come home from work with the newspaper, [the Sun?]. Without even looking at any of the 'important' stuff, I searched for the Emile Mercier cartoon, and went over all the little details carefully, chuckling all the way.

Some 60 odd years later, I now find myself on this forum, searching for the 'Cartoons by Rod Waller' thread. Thank you , Rod for what you have done, and are doing. Marvelous.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg. I remember Mercier from when I was a kid too. I think I still have a little booklet collection of some of his work, somewhere. He had a very off-beat style-- Adverts on the walls used to say things like "Scram gravy ain't wavy" IIRC. His scenarios would always take place on a platform mounted on coil springs! Really original and quirky.

Posted Image

"Arfur" Daley from "Minder"--
Posted Image

Advertisement

#120 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,738 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:44

Rod, quirky is the word! Mercier, I'm sure, was responsible for my 'quirky' sense of humour.....I'll blame him, anyway.

Some of the 'Mercier' things that are lodged firmly in my memory are:- SHRDLU, the little dog, the sign-writing on the inside of the Pub door, which read....'CILBUP RAB', Supa-Dupa Man, gravy, the little three-wheel car, Fearless Ferdie, Wocko The Beaut, and so on. Thanks for jogging the memory. I apologise to those who have no idea what I am on about!

I love the two black cockatoos, flying past the Healey, by the way.......beats me how you captured that slow wing-flapping!

#121 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:36

Rod, quirky is the word! Mercier, I'm sure, was responsible for my 'quirky' sense of humour.....I'll blame him, anyway.

Some of the 'Mercier' things that are lodged firmly in my memory are:- SHRDLU, the little dog, the sign-writing on the inside of the Pub door, which read....'CILBUP RAB', Supa-Dupa Man, gravy, the little three-wheel car, Fearless Ferdie, Wocko The Beaut, and so on. Thanks for jogging the memory. I apologise to those who have no idea what I am on about!

I love the two black cockatoos, flying past the Healey, by the way.......beats me how you captured that slow wing-flapping!

Ah yes Greg, "Wocko the Beaut"! I'd forgotten that one. I don't think Mercier could have been influenced by ANYONE. He would have been an interesting bloke to meet.
Re black cockies; We have several species of white-tails and red-tails in WA and they're all endangered. I give them a run in the cartoons when I can, to keep them in focus . We have quite a few in this neck of the woods so people don't worry. Trouble is they live so long and there's no way of knowing if the ones we see are all geriatric and past breeding.
:well: But I digress....

#122 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:54

"Arfur" Daley from "Minder"--
Posted Image

Instantly recognisable much loved actor with a 60 yr career George Cole.

#123 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:13

Richard, you asked if Rod is still drawing. Check post #9 on page 1 - that was done but a few months ago.

#124 john medley

john medley

• 1,166 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 23:33

Mercier.... wooden floors on coil springs....?

#125 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:50

Instantly recognisable much loved actor with a 60 yr career George Cole.

"Richard, you've done well my son. In fact you've hit the jackpot! Just pop round to our establishment at your earliest and choose any motor that takes your fancy. A series two Jaguar perhaps? Now there's luxury! If, perchance, I am unavoidably detained, Tel will see you right with a five percent discount. No questions asked. Now I can't say fairer than that!" :lol:

#126 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:48

When it comes to cartoons, there's little doubt that Ken Maynard captured the public interest...

I remember at school, Ashley Strange used to delight in drawing the characters from the Ettamogah Pub and other scenes Maynard emblazoned on the minds of we Aussies through his weekly contribution to the Australasian Post.

Here's a website with some of his work... just watch out for the cockatoo with the work boots!

http://www.ettamogah...kenmaynard.html

#127 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 13:02

"Richard, you've done well my son. In fact you've hit the jackpot! Just pop round to our establishment at your earliest and choose any motor that takes your fancy. A series two Jaguar perhaps? Now there's luxury! If, perchance, I am unavoidably detained, Tel will see you right with a five percent discount. No questions asked. Now I can't say fairer than that!" :lol:

#128 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 13:19

Mercier.... wooden floors on coil springs....?

John, you've come in late... and you've been sprung! :lol: [See post 119]
Ray, Ken Maynard certainly left his mark---and sold a lot of T-shirts!
Richard, thanks for the youtube. Great stuff. Crikey! Was it THAT long ago?

#129 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 13:27

Posted Image

#130 Macca

Macca

• 3,326 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 15:17

Posted Image

"Cigarette?"

"I don't smoke - I tried it once and didn't like it"

"Drink?"

"I tried it once and didn't like it - my daughter doesn't drink either"

"I take it she's your only daughter? Hah hah hah!...."

Edited by Macca, 06 June 2011 - 15:17.

#131 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 16:50

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#132 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 19:11

Good God, Man!!! :up:

Repco, do you sell prints of these incredible cartoons???

#133 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:40

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Richard, that Hancock piece was a ripper! I planned to cross the country to see his Sydney show in the sixties, but tragically it was not to be. What a loss!

#134 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:42

Good God, Man!!! :up:

Repco, do you sell prints of these incredible cartoons???

Thanks again E1. Yes, can do. :)

#135 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:53

This cartoon was requested several years ago to have a dig at a mate who goes everywhere, knows everyone and helps out if required. For a variety of reasons, it has yet to be presented to him! Hence the censoring. The mechanics' answer to The Stig? Not really. :lol: [No guesses please!]
Posted Image

#136 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 15:14

Bit more Tony & Sid by request

#137 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:17

Bit more Tony & Sid by request

Thanks Richard! :rotfl:
This cartoon was drawn for the book; "Morgan Sports Cars-the Heritage Years, 1954-1960" by Jake Alderson & Chris Chapman. It covers international activity including a good chunk on Australia. The cars featured in the drawing were two well-known Western Australian, Morgan-based open-wheelers. Merv Dudley pushed the "BRM-Morgan R4" home.
In spite of appearances, the flaggie was not run over by number 19 and Dudley was not run over by number 28!

Posted Image

#138 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:05

Posted Image

#139 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:08

Basil - WHAT??!!!!

Brilliant

Edited by alansart, 10 June 2011 - 15:08.

Advertisement

#140 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:34

Basil - WHAT??!!!!

Brilliant

#141 Levin68

Levin68

• 56 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:08

Emile Mercier, for nostalgic Aussies of a certain age. As a young New Zealander, these cartoons did make me wonder what sort of place Australia was. But the covergirls of Pix sure made me want to find out for myself!

Posted Image

By the way Rod, I don't for a minute intend to distract us all from your wonderful work. Please keep it coming.

Edited by Levin68, 11 June 2011 - 07:24.

#142 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,738 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:10

Oohhh, those Pix girls! The barber shop had stacks of Pix mags, and walking home with a strange 'stoop' was always a bit embarrassing. :blush:

#143 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:15

Fair dinkum, these are the sort of jokers a bloke had to work with if he came up to Pommieland in the seventies and landed a job in an advertising agency...
Posted Image
About once a week, if you were unlucky, the big cheese would park his Ferrari in the mews and wearing his poncie sports shirt, poke his head in the door to see how "the plebs" were doing. Stone the crows, it'd drive a bloke to drink...

Even taking into account the anonymous nature of the characters involved, this is rapidly becoming one of my favourites! A proper study of the quirks of human nature I reckon :up:

#144 john medley

john medley

• 1,166 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:27

Too many are frighteningly familiar!( and I know none but have seen the type). Great work Rod

#145 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:08

Even taking into account the anonymous nature of the characters involved, this is rapidly becoming one of my favourites! A proper study of the quirks of human nature I reckon :up:

Thanks; Alansart, Richard, Levin, Greg and John! And Werks, those guys were really a good bunch to work with. They were all "Account Executives" . The fellow in the checked suit was a kind of Chief Whip. Terribly public school and called me "Rodders". They had some top accounts including a leading French brandy, a cigarette brand, a famous auction house etc. I wish I'd drawn all the gang from the art room. They were, of course, far less presentable! :smoking:
Posted Image

#146 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,226 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:36

Too many are frighteningly familiar!( and I know none but have seen the type). Great work Rod

That is exactly what i was thinking John oooooso familiar.

#147 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:34

Emile Mercier, for nostalgic Aussies of a certain age. As a young New Zealander, these cartoons did make me wonder what sort of place Australia was. But the covergirls of Pix sure made me want to find out for myself!

Posted Image

By the way Rod, I don't for a minute intend to distract us all from your wonderful work. Please keep it coming.

Merci for the "Mercier", Levin. Funny how the grass is always greener. Kiwi chics look alright to me! :love:

#148 Welby

Welby

• 89 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:55

Lovely work Rod.

Have you done any around the Targa West event?

#149 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:27

" And Werks, those guys were really a good bunch to work with."

Dear Werks, as you are obviously a student of the human condition, I hope I haven't misled you with the above, glib, remark. [I doubt it!] I should admit that, as in all walks of life, a minority in the line-up pictured did present as superior beings. Analysis may well have revealed underlying feelings of inferiority...
Meanwhile, one of my colleagues in the art studio, a Cockney chap, I'll call Sid, was blessed with a pleasant crooning voice and inclined to demonstrate it if, after a pint or two, the opportunity should arise.
At an office party held in a London restaurant, he imagined one of those opportunities had presented itself shortly after the minestrone and getting to his feet, launched into the Perry Como number; "Try a Little Tenderness". No doubt due to alcohol induced reverie, the lyrics soon slid into the doobey doobies and he found himself delivering the memorable lines; " She may be wearwee, women do be wearwee..." Suddenly the flightpaths over the long table became congested with lumps of Italian bread and "Sid's" rendition drew to an abrupt close.
Next day at the office he was still muttering; "WHY? WHY did I say THA' ??"
Posted Image

"Sid". His love of paisley-print shirts with big collars was no greater than that of most avant garde Londoners of the time.

Edited by Repco22, 12 June 2011 - 03:07.

#150 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:34

Lovely work Rod.

Have you done any around the Targa West event?

Thanks Welby. No, sorry! :|