Photo

Lola GT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dkipling1

Dkipling1

• 39 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 20:42

I snapped this photo with a cheap Brownie camera in (???) approx 1962 or 1963 in the Silverstone pits. The Lola has the rear bodywork off and you can see those gorgeous rubber joints in the rear axles, like Lotus F1 cars once used. Pre-computer, and it's nice to see an old fashioned socket wrench and rubber mallet on one of the bulkheads. I think the massive gearbox was a Colotti. This may (?) have been at a, International TT meeting, but memory fails me.
http://www.oldstox.c...lola engine.jpg

If anyone can recall the driver and tech info, I'd be curious to learn more.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 21:06

Chances are that you took the photo at the 1963 International Trophy meeting at Silverstone, when Tony Maggs gave the Lola GT its race debut, when it finished 5th in class. Yes, the gearbox is a mighty 4-speed Colotti box, driving via Metalastik Rotoflex couplings. As you probably know, it became the basis of the Ford GT.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 21:46

...regardless of Ford Motor Co's best contemporary efforts to obscure that fact from the historical record... :smoking:

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 30 April 2011 - 21:47.

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 22:05

I first saw it at the Racing Car Show at Royal Horticultural Hall, I was with the Hawk whom I knew because he was at Sprinzels just acroos Lancaster Mews from Fibrepair and I introduced him to Vic Elford whom I had met only a few hours earlier.

#5 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 22:44

Arghh... having torn many competition Rotoflexes apart on a Rally Imp those couplings look distinctly inadequate to me!