Photo

Menday or Henday?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 18:44

I tried to identify some drivers on a photo that a friend of mine took at Kanonloppet in 1962. I saw that it couldn't be the F1 cars, that he thought, but Formula Juniors. One of the drivers was Danish driver Legarth, but the other puzzeled me. According to the program car number 5 should be British driver Raymond Menday in a Anglo-Saxon-BMC. When I tried to find more about him or the car on Internet I found nothing. But if I change his name to Henday and make him French, there is a little bit to be found. And if I change the car's name to Saxon, something that resembles the car on the photo shows up. (I haven't asked my friend if I can show the picture, but you can only see a small part of the car.) But that car is an old rebuilt F3. In international racing in 1962!?!
Is there anyone who knows anything about this Henday or Menday? And why did he race this old British car in '62?

Posted Image
Picture from Two-stroke F Junior-thread.

Edited by Tomas Karlsson, 06 May 2011 - 18:45.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 19:09

According to Hodges' A-Z there were two completely different FJ Saxons. I'm guessing the one you have found the picture of is the DKW-engined one, based on a 1952 Mackson - it certainly resembles a Mackson. The BMC-engined one was a special built in 1959 by a CS MacArthur, who was serving in the British forces in Germany and raced it there and in Britain.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 19:22

On the other hand, Duncan Rabagliati suggests they were the same car!

Cyril Scott-Macarthur's Saxon sounds an interesting car. Scott-Macarthur was in the British Forces in Germany and raced it as an F3 500 at Sachenring on 17th August 1958 where it came 11th, just ahead of Willi Stiehler in his Eigenbau. Could this have anything to do with our eponymous trophy? By 1959 the Saxon was a BMC powered Formula Junior, changed that same year for a DKW. In 1960 he was competing in Italy at Messina against Denis Hulme and Jo Siffert.

http://www.startline...24/founding.htm

If you google Saxon-DKW, it seems to still be active in Historic FJ.

But of course none of that gets you any closer to your mystery driver ...

Edited by Vitesse2, 06 May 2011 - 19:31.

#4 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 21:47

Tomas, Stefan Ă–rnerdal gives his name as Raymond Henday, his nationality as French and his Saxon as BMC-powered.

Not that the name of Raymond Henday would really ring a bell with me ...

#5 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 21:49

From the England and Wales Birth/Marriage/Death indexes it appears that there were two Raymond MENDAYs born in England ...

a Raymond P born in 1927
a Raymond J born in 1931.

#6 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 19:42

Yes, I wonder if it isn't Menday after all. Stefan wasn't sure where the French connection came from, but thought it was Sheldon. But like me, he thought it was strange with a frenchman driving in British and Swedish races.
Here is the photo that started the whole thing. The mystery car is the one in front. It was called an Anglo-Saxon-BMC in the race program. Note the shock-absorber mountings sticking up in the fore-ground. The picture wasn't really about Menday or the car, but his rather special race-suit.

Posted Image
photo: Bengt Ason Holm

#7 TonyCotton

TonyCotton

• 65 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 22:57

On the other hand, Duncan Rabagliati suggests they were the same car!

http://www.startline...24/founding.htm

If you google Saxon-DKW, it seems to still be active in Historic FJ.

But of course none of that gets you any closer to your mystery driver ...

Sorry if I have caused a problem. I added the post script quoted above which was from present day googling. Duncan is absolutely nothing to do with that suggestion though I can see why you might have thought that from the way I phrased the introduction. My apologies.

#8 dnm

dnm

• 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 18:50

Yes, I wonder if it isn't Menday after all. Stefan wasn't sure where the French connection came from, but thought it was Sheldon. But like me, he thought it was strange with a frenchman driving in British and Swedish races.
Here is the photo that started the whole thing. The mystery car is the one in front. It was called an Anglo-Saxon-BMC in the race program. Note the shock-absorber mountings sticking up in the fore-ground. The picture wasn't really about Menday or the car, but his rather special race-suit.

Posted Image
photo: Bengt Ason Holm

The man in the photo by Bengt Ason Holm is my father Raymond Menday (photo was taken before I was born).
Another picture of him in a car.

#9 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 19:27

So he was Raymond J Menday, born 1931?

#10 dnm

dnm

• 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 19:55

So he was Raymond J Menday, born 1931?

Yes, his middle initial is J, not P.
Not sure about the picture from Two-stroke F Junior-thread (I don't recognise the persons in it, but have not asked other people about it).
I have asked his current wife and my mother about the picture from Bengt Ason Holm (so it is not just me). Unfortunately it is not possible to ask him about it.

#11 Steffe Ornerdal

Steffe Ornerdal

• 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 20:35

Yes, his middle initial is J, not P.
Not sure about the picture from Two-stroke F Junior-thread (I don't recognise the persons in it, but have not asked other people about it).
I have asked his current wife and my mother about the picture from Bengt Ason Holm (so it is not just me). Unfortunately it is not possible to ask him about it.

Thanks for signing in and welcome to TNF. Is it possible for you to answer the original question, british or french nationality?

Kind regards
Stefan

#12 dnm

dnm

• 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 23:09

Thanks for signing in and welcome to TNF. Is it possible for you to answer the original question, british or french nationality?

Kind regards
Stefan

My father Raymond Menday is British (and my mother is Swedish).