Photo

Hamilton and Stewart to swap rides at The Glen

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 22:30

2008 Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton and two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart take part in the Mobil 1 Car Swap at Watkins Glen International circuit on June 14th.

Hamilton will be behind the wheel of the No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet Impala NASCAR stock car, while Stewart will try out the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 Formula 1 car (McLaren's 2010 model).

“I spend a lot of time in race cars, but this will be the first time I've been at the wheel of a NASCAR stock car, in the No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet,” said Formula 1™ World Champion driver Lewis Hamilton. “Tony and I will have some fun with the swap and make sure we put on a good show. American race fans are massively enthusiastic about motorsports, so I hope to see a lot of them down at The Glen to see it firsthand. It’s a racers circuit and will give us both the chance to understand the differences between the two styles of racing at this legendary track. Watkins Glen also has a particular connection to the team, as it is where McLaren won our first Drivers’ and Constructors’ world championship in 1974 with Emerson Fittipaldi; I’m looking forward to getting back there with the latest generation of McLaren’s machines!”

Two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Tony Stewart said, “When you’ve been around competitive racing for as long as I have, you really look forward to new experiences, and this car swap with Lewis is definitely one of those opportunities. I already have quite a bit of respect for what Lewis and the F1 drivers and teams do, so to experience laps in the cockpit of a F1 car and see what Lewis can do in the Cup car, is something I am really excited about.”

Advertisement

#2 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:07

Whats the point?! :down:

Anyway I do NOT think that the rather rotund Stewart will even FIT into an f1 McLaren unless they specially build it out for him.

#3 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:13

Anyway I do NOT think that the rather rotund Stewart will even FIT into an f1 McLaren unless they specially build it out for him.

Tony Stewart was an open-wheel driver previously... he won the IRL Championship in 1997.

#4 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:19

I don't think Lewis will (or any F1 driver) will have too many issues with the Cup car. The physicality is far less than an F1 car.

However, Tony is going to get a shock when he squeezes into the F1 car.

#5 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:37

I don't think Lewis will (or any F1 driver) will have too many issues with the Cup car. The physicality is far less than an F1 car.

Again... Tony HAS DRIVEN open-wheelers. He knows what to expect from "sitting and fitting" into an F1.

#6 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:42

Again... Tony HAS DRIVEN open-wheelers. He knows what to expect from "sitting and fitting" into an F1.

I'm fully aware of what Tony has driven. He's still going to get a shock in an F1 car.

#7 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:43

LOL why the hell would you give this a thumbs down?

Expsoure for F1 in the states - win

Mobil gets exposure - win

Lewis and Tony get to experience something different - win

#8 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:06

Oh, Lewis might like it....might want to try it.....Lewis and Kimi in NASCAR.....

That's what MonzaF1 is afraid of.... :lol:

Tony isn't the kind to gush over something.

I will be more interested to see Hamilton's impressions of the 3,400lb stock car. Something outside his experience really.

Should be fun.

#9 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:13

What tyres will they use on the McLaren ?

#10 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:31

''Stewart will try out the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 Formula 1 car (McLaren's 2010 model). ”

The 23 is a bit older then that, its from 08.

#11 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 2,415 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:34

They used Pirelli slicks in Australia for Jenson's promo. Guessing the same for Lewis

#12 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:22

They used Pirelli slicks in Australia for Jenson's promo. Guessing the same for Lewis

Should be fun "okay mate, you've got 8 laps on these, any more and you'll be in the hedge"

#13 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:24

There seems to be more negativity to this than I would expect?

Its a great chance for both guys to have a glimpse at each other's day jobs.

Lewis will love the cup, and Tony will love the F1 car.

There seems to be the thought that Lewis is too good for Nascar, that's the feeling I get from this event. Its funny because Nascar is exactly the sport I would suit Lewis to exactly. Raw machinery that just doesnt grip!! Counter-steering your way to wins seems more his style.

Hopefully some great footage comes from it. The JPM switch with JG was covered pretty well!

#14 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:09

Should be fun "okay mate, you've got 8 laps on these, any more and you'll be in the hedge"

T-Stew will be used to it. In NASCAR the tyres drop off over a second a lap over a fuel run. On tracks where the lap times are about 30 secs.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:32

The point is to have someone remind me to put you on the ignore list.
Jp

#16 indybail

indybail

• 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 13:14

It's a shame they couldn't add one of the Penske or Ganassi Indianapolis car guys to the mix. Indianapolis 500 defending champion Dario in particular would be fun I think.

#17 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 13:44

Expsoure for F1 in the states - win

An unhealthy obsession with Lewis Hamilton is all.

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 13:48

It's a shame they couldn't add one of the Penske or Ganassi Indianapolis car guys to the mix. Indianapolis 500 defending champion Dario in particular would be fun I think.

The Penske drivers are sponsored by a rival oil company, why would you include them in a Mobil 1 demonstration?

#19 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 13:49

Exposure for F1 in the states - win

:up:

I will enjoy watching it - win.

Advertisement

#20 indybail

indybail

• 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:30

The Penske drivers are sponsored by a rival oil company, why would you include them in a Mobil 1 demonstration?

Because, I'm not Mobil 1.

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:35

Which is why you aren't able to arrange a demonstration of different drivers in different cars :wave:

#22 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:43

Which is why you aren't able to arrange a demonstration of different drivers in different cars :wave:

Surely those 'minor' details could be ironed out if they really wanted it to happen, no?

#23 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:03

f1 at watkins

#24 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 16:58

Ever heard of fun? It's something that used to exist in F1 last time F1 was at the glen.

Great idea IMO. Love that modern F1 McLarens will have been driven at Bathurst and the Glen this year. Two of the best road circuits in the road, up there with Spa and Suzuka IMO :up:

#25 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:35

I'm fully aware of what Tony has driven. He's still going to get a shock in an F1 car.

why? it maybe alot of fun for him but why would he get a shock? you think he doesn't have an idea of how what to expect?

#26 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:08

Tony will know what to expect, but it will be a big squeeze to get him in an F1. Those cars are very small for a big man!
Shades of Alan Jones getting into an Arrows in the 80s. Pound the tub out to make the driver fit!

#27 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:15

Tony will know what to expect, but it will be a big squeeze to get him in an F1. Those cars are very small for a big man!
Shades of Alan Jones getting into an Arrows in the 80s. Pound the tub out to make the driver fit!

it won't be a big squeeze,it's not like he is being forced into Lewis car,it would be as comfortable as it is for Lewis to get into a car that is why they do this no so important thing called seat fitting....if Webber tried to enter Lewis car today,he wouldn't fit or it would be a very tight fit but that doesn't mean he is unfit.

#28 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 00:15

Chris,

It is Watkins Glen International's goal to make the Lewis/Tony event open to the public. We are working closely with Mobil 1 and the respective race teams to make it a reality, but at this time no decision has been reached.

As soon as information regarding attendance is known, it will be available on www.TheGlen.com.

Thank you for your interest,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Mayer [emayer@theglen.com]
Manager of Public Relations
Watkins Glen International

#29 Talisker

Talisker

• 382 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 00:48

why? it maybe alot of fun for him but why would he get a shock? you think he doesn't have an idea of how what to expect?

Well as a professional racing driver he's obviously not as enlightened as the experts who post in this forum. He just wont be aware that F1 cars have smaller cockpits than NASCAR cars, or that they have a higher level of performance. It's a wonder they didnt ask us lot to coach him. Very strange.

#30 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:59

Ever heard of fun? It's something that used to exist in F1 last time F1 was at the glen.

Great idea IMO. Love that modern F1 McLarens will have been driven at Bathurst and the Glen this year. Two of the best road circuits in the road, up there with Spa and Suzuka IMO :up:

Driven at these places, not raced.

Its audacious - thats why. F1 would not even think about going too such places.

I remember the days of Watkins Glen as I do wonderful tracks such as Kyalami, Brands Hatch and Nurburgring - but thats the past and I still dont see the point. F1 fans could care less about Stewart and NASCAR fans could care less about F1.

#31 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:03

F1 fans could care less about Stewart and NASCAR fans could care less about F1.

While NASCAR couldn't care less about Lewis and F1 couldn't care less about Stewart - many race fans, like myself, love this type of swapping rides thing in motorsports. I even dig it when they swap bikes and cars.

#32 vlado

vlado

• 4,008 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:16

This will be fun I think.. didn't Jeff Gordon and MS swap at indy a while ago ? Or maybe it wasn't ms.. i just know that this isn't the first time an F1 and a Nascar driver have swapped cars

#33 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:43

This will be fun I think.. didn't Jeff Gordon and MS swap at indy a while ago ? Or maybe it wasn't ms.. i just know that this isn't the first time an F1 and a Nascar driver have swapped cars

Jeff Gordon and JPM in 2003.

#34 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:35

I remember the days of Watkins Glen as I do wonderful tracks such as Kyalami, Brands Hatch and Nurburgring - but thats the past and I still dont see the point. F1 fans could care less about Stewart and NASCAR fans could care less about F1.

Let me make a prediction then.

If Hamilton gets in the NASCAR ride and laps anywhere near normal NASCAR speeds at The Glen the F1 fanboy trolls will be out in force to talk **** about how it is proof that any F1 driver could go to NASCAR and dominate. If he is not on pace it will be because the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car and he isn't used to driving a Flintstones car.

If Stewart isn't on pace it will be because he is a fat American, like all the other 300 million fat Americans, who could never hope to compete in F1. If he is on pace it will be because he is really the love child of Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell.

Oh, and F1 will go anywhere they wave $20 million under their nose.

#35 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:37

Jeff Gordon and JPM in 2003.

That's ridiculous though. Jeff Gordon is American and thus too large to fit in a F1 car. Look at how Montoya had to fatten up just so his stock car wasn't too big for him.

#36 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:44

. F1 fans could care less about Stewart and NASCAR fans could care less about F1.

So they do care then.

#37 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:20

So they do care then.

lol, you have to read what he meant, not what he wrote.

(as a friendly fyi, it's "could not care less")

#38 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:58

Mobil see the point, Watkins Glen see the point, McLaren see the point, Chevrolet see the point and, if we believe the press snippets the two drivers see the point.
It seems completely illogical that they did not contact you for your views. :confused:

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:45

It's actually pretty clever. They managed to disguise a Vodafone(Button at Bathurst) and Mobil 1 PR day as something really interesting.

Advertisement

#40 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:04

It's actually pretty clever. They managed to disguise a Vodafone(Button at Bathurst) and Mobil 1 PR day as something really interesting.

Can't even tell if you are being cynical anymore, Ross :wave: Doesn't matter, could be sponsored by mothercare, as long as they give the cars some stick I'm happy. Jenson sounded like he gave the car a good thrashing around Mt Panorama. Love it.

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:10

That's my point. If this was Lewis or Tony touring an ExxonMobil refinery or visiting the corporate HQ, who gives a zzzzzzzz.

But basically we have two top drivers switching rides on a neat track, and we have Mobil 1 to thank for putting it together. Likewise Vodafone for seeing an F1 car at Bathurst.

It's the ideal sponsorship activation program.

#42 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:25

Look at how Montoya had to fatten up just so his stock car wasn't too big for him.

:rotfl:

#43 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:28

Can't even tell if you are being cynical anymore, Ross :

Since when has Ross not been cynical?

#44 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:31

To see a modern F1 car run at Watkins Glenn? To see what happens with Stewart driving one? To see what happens with Hamilton driving a stock car?

You're missing the "neat" of it!

/ this again falls into the category of "why should the cars be loud or pull 5gs in a turn?" - I'm flabbergasted people miss the "neat" of things.

#45 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:26

Posted Image

#46 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,319 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:11

It is going to be the other way around, when Lewis discovers how to brake without them. He will be alright but balancing a car that heavy and going fast is not as simple as one thinks it is on a road course.

#47 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 20:55

It is going to be the other way around, when Lewis discovers how to brake without them. He will be alright but balancing a car that heavy and going fast is not as simple as one thinks it is on a road course.

we all seem to be forgetting that there is a reason why these guys are called pros,they have a lot of feedback before stepping a foot in their various cars so both drivers would be fully aware of the beasts they are handling,obviously you still need to get used to it but am sure they would be used to it almost immediately,again they are pros with working brains.

#48 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:14

the next theoretical event I would look forward to is Sebastian v Sebastien. RB7 v DS3 WRC. or both in a Red Bull NASCAR.

#49 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:15

we all seem to be forgetting that there is a reason why these guys are called pros,they have a lot of feedback before stepping a foot in their various cars so both drivers would be fully aware of the beasts they are handling,obviously you still need to get used to it but am sure they would be used to it almost immediately,again they are pros with working brains.

I suspect they will both be amazed by the cars and will both amaze everyone with what they do in the cars.

#50 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:39

Didn't see it posted, but Mobil 1 has a teaser up:

http://www.grid1.tv/...d/lewis-vs-tony