Photo

Hamilton and Stewart to swap rides at The Glen

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#51 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:21

Oh dear. Their "trash talk" is as bad as some of the postings here.

Advertisement

#52 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,240 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:01

That was awkward

#53 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,870 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 17:00

we all seem to be forgetting that there is a reason why these guys are called pros,they have a lot of feedback before stepping a foot in their various cars so both drivers would be fully aware of the beasts they are handling,obviously you still need to get used to it but am sure they would be used to it almost immediately,again they are pros with working brains.

Still doesn't matter even the regular drivers have trouble coming to terms with the braking, most still can't work out how Marcos Ambrose brakes so late in the things and still turns in, but he is a heavy touring car road course expert and knows how to flow the things through the corner, so no I haven't forgot who they are and of the two Lewis will have more adjustment.

Of course Tony will not have driven something with such braking ability even his open wheel experience isn't near to F1 braking performance, however I would rather be in his shoes than Lewis's in this deal as Tony has far more driving experience in different classes.

Edited by PassWind, 17 May 2011 - 17:01.

#54 Vilenova

Vilenova

• 2,854 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 17:53

Whats the point?! :down:

Anyway I do NOT think that the rather rotund Stewart will even FIT into an f1 McLaren unless they specially build it out for him.

It's called promoting the sport.

it's a great idea.

#55 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 22:49

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 17, 2011

THE MOBIL 1 CAR SWAP AT THE GLEN WILL BE OPEN TO SPECTATORS

Admission is Free and Numerous Locations will be Available for Viewing

WATKINS GLEN, NY – Watkins Glen International is proud to announce that the upcoming Mobil 1 Car Swap at The Glen on Tuesday, June 14, will be open to all spectators. Admission and parking will both be free for fans of all ages and there will be numerous locations for fans to watch NASCAR Sprint Cup Series star Tony Stewart and Formula 1™ World Champion Lewis Hamilton take laps in their own and then each others’ cars during the event.

“It has been our goal from the beginning to make this historic event open to our tens of thousands of fans and we are thrilled to make this announcement,” said Michael Printup, president of Watkins Glen International. “There has been no question as to how badly our fans want to attend the Mobil 1 Car Swap at The Glen. They have overwhelmed us with their emails, phone calls, and comments through social media and it is this incredible passion that makes our fans the best in motorsports.”

Beginning at 11:00 a.m., fans will witness Hamilton take laps in both his team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 and Stewart’s No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet Impala. Stewart also will take a spin in his No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Deport Chevrolet Impala before climbing into Hamilton’s MP4-23 for his first-ever laps behind the wheel of an F1 car.

Visitors to WGI will find it easy to park, enter the track, and watch the car swap from numerous locations around the legendary road course. All spectators will be able to park near and enter through Gate 4 which can be accessed from Kuhl-Winner Way off of Route 16. Gate 4 will be open 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and from there fans will have easy access to the facility. The spectator viewing area is located outside of the track and stretches from Turn 1, down the entire FrontStretch, and all the way to the toe of The Boot. This means fans can choose to watch from the Ninety and FrontStretch Grandstands, the Turn 11 Viewing Berm, the elevated areas around and inside of The Boot, and any general admission viewing area located in that range. The inside of The Boot can be accessed through the pedestrian tunnel which is located between the heel of The Boot and the West tunnel.

The fans that sit in or around the FrontStretch Grandstand will see the largest amount of activity throughout the day. The location will not only provide a great view of the cars as they drive through Turn 11, down the FrontStretch, around Turn 1, and into the Esses but also as they enter and exit pit road and are worked on in the special garage areas directly behind the pits. Please note that access to the infield will be restricted to authorized personnel only during the event.

The FrontStretch Concession Kiosk will be open 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and feature Sahlen’s Hot Dogs, Bog Hog Pulled Pork sandwiches, donuts, potato chips, ice cream, Coke products, coffee, bottled water, and premium Budweiser beer. Fans are also welcome to bring their coolers to enjoy a full picnic experience during the day.

Tickets for the 2011 race season at Watkins Glen International are on sale NOW! Fans can order their tickets or get more information by calling the WGI ticket office at 866-461-RACE (7223) or logging on to the official website, www.TheGlen.com. Gift certificates and track merchandise can all be purchased at The Shop located at 2 North Franklin Street in downtown Watkins Glen. The Shop is open Monday-Sunday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Keep up with the latest happenings at The Glen by going to the official Watkins Glen International Facebook page, www.Facebook.com/watkinsgleninternational, and following WGI on Twitter, @WGI.

yea! :clap:

think i'll go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.900 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3632 - Release Date: 05/11/11 15:12:00

#56 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:37

hope they get both cars on track at the same time just to take photos etc :)
interesting that there using the boot layout too :o

#57 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:09

hope they get both cars on track at the same time just to take photos etc :)
interesting that there using the boot layout too :o

yes, love the boot, here's a great shot from my campsite, IRL, '07

Posted Image

there's more at my photobucket including historic F1 races. great stuff. great weekend!

#58 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,011 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:32

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 17, 2011

THE MOBIL 1 CAR SWAP AT THE GLEN WILL BE OPEN TO SPECTATORS

Admission is Free and Numerous Locations will be Available for Viewing

WATKINS GLEN, NY – Watkins Glen International is proud to announce that the upcoming Mobil 1 Car Swap at The Glen on Tuesday, June 14, will be open to all spectators. Admission and parking will both be free for fans of all ages and there will be numerous locations for fans to watch NASCAR Sprint Cup Series star Tony Stewart and Formula 1™ World Champion Lewis Hamilton take laps in their own and then each others’ cars during the event.

“It has been our goal from the beginning to make this historic event open to our tens of thousands of fans and we are thrilled to make this announcement,” said Michael Printup, president of Watkins Glen International. “There has been no question as to how badly our fans want to attend the Mobil 1 Car Swap at The Glen. They have overwhelmed us with their emails, phone calls, and comments through social media and it is this incredible passion that makes our fans the best in motorsports.”

Beginning at 11:00 a.m., fans will witness Hamilton take laps in both his team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 and Stewart’s No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet Impala. Stewart also will take a spin in his No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Deport Chevrolet Impala before climbing into Hamilton’s MP4-23 for his first-ever laps behind the wheel of an F1 car.

Visitors to WGI will find it easy to park, enter the track, and watch the car swap from numerous locations around the legendary road course. All spectators will be able to park near and enter through Gate 4 which can be accessed from Kuhl-Winner Way off of Route 16. Gate 4 will be open 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and from there fans will have easy access to the facility. The spectator viewing area is located outside of the track and stretches from Turn 1, down the entire FrontStretch, and all the way to the toe of The Boot. This means fans can choose to watch from the Ninety and FrontStretch Grandstands, the Turn 11 Viewing Berm, the elevated areas around and inside of The Boot, and any general admission viewing area located in that range. The inside of The Boot can be accessed through the pedestrian tunnel which is located between the heel of The Boot and the West tunnel.

The fans that sit in or around the FrontStretch Grandstand will see the largest amount of activity throughout the day. The location will not only provide a great view of the cars as they drive through Turn 11, down the FrontStretch, around Turn 1, and into the Esses but also as they enter and exit pit road and are worked on in the special garage areas directly behind the pits. Please note that access to the infield will be restricted to authorized personnel only during the event.

The FrontStretch Concession Kiosk will be open 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and feature Sahlen’s Hot Dogs, Bog Hog Pulled Pork sandwiches, donuts, potato chips, ice cream, Coke products, coffee, bottled water, and premium Budweiser beer. Fans are also welcome to bring their coolers to enjoy a full picnic experience during the day.

Tickets for the 2011 race season at Watkins Glen International are on sale NOW! Fans can order their tickets or get more information by calling the WGI ticket office at 866-461-RACE (7223) or logging on to the official website, www.TheGlen.com. Gift certificates and track merchandise can all be purchased at The Shop located at 2 North Franklin Street in downtown Watkins Glen. The Shop is open Monday-Sunday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Keep up with the latest happenings at The Glen by going to the official Watkins Glen International Facebook page, www.Facebook.com/watkinsgleninternational, and following WGI on Twitter, @WGI.

yea! :clap:

think i'll go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.900 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3632 - Release Date: 05/11/11 15:12:00

Then it is your responsibility to take some pictures for all of us who can't. :wave:

#59 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:00

Then it is your responsibility to take some pictures for all of us who can't. :wave:

For all of you who can't, I am ready, willing and able to take on this responsibility.

It's a great load to handle, but adversity is my middle name.

With my charm and good looks, I'm sure I can stroll right past security and into pit lane.

Once I'm there, Lewis & Tony will drop everything they're doing to have their pictures taken with me. :kiss:

The one of me sitting in Lewis's McLaren, flanked by both drivers will be a keeper!

DUDE! Wake up! You're having a good dream! :lol:

Seriously though, I'm sure some of the viewing points could yield a nice trove of once in a lifetime photos.

Trying to arrange my schedule to go. 90% probability.

Can't wait to get back to "The Glen" it is truly an awesome place.

Beautiful to see, incredible to hear, easy to get around.

Just writing this I'm getting all excited. :cool:

Screw it, that 90% just became 100

Sod it, I'm going. F**K all.

Must_Hear_McLaren_Coming_Through_Boot.

Must_See_Lewis_Oversteer_Through_BusStop.

Will report back to you.

Your intrepid reporter,

Madera.

:up:

Advertisement

#60 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:53

Opening this to the public = Fan.Friggin'.Tastic.

I just hope some bastard sponsor puts together something like this in my neck of the woods sometime soon. Ferrari, how many cars DO you sell in Texas...?

Edited by ktsayshi, 19 May 2011 - 01:54.

#61 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 15:44

I have a really awesome opportunity here - a friend of my father offered to possibly bring me into the circuit. This friend is a prominent sports writer with the proper credentials, so I am hoping to get inside the track and up-close to the cars.

If possible, I will be taking loads of pictures and video. While I am not a Hamilton fan, I'm still obviously very excited. I don't think I'll be mentioning the Canadian GP if I do get to meet him though...

EDIT: Assuming this writer gets me near the pitlane, do you think they'll allow me to film/take pictures?

Edited by T-Mobile, 13 June 2011 - 15:45.

#62 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 15:45

http://www.facebook....95.206511565887

#63 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:52

OK I'm heading off...hopefully I get a good view and it doesn't pour!

I'll post back with pictures (and maybe a video) later...

#64 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 13:26

w00t!

#65 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 13:28

I know they have coverage on speed.
If anybody has a link for this please pm me :stoned:

Edited by Kvothe, 14 June 2011 - 13:28.

#66 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 13:36

http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/ 8.30pm american time, so 12.30 uk time i think. bristol program after sounds cool too :)

#67 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 13:40

http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/ 8.30pm american time, so 12.30 uk time i think. bristol program after sounds cool too :)

Sorry bad phrasing on my part, I'm from the Uk and I meant another less legal link, thanks anyway.

#68 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 13:41

Gerard Hetman is tweeting pics from the pitlane.

http://twitter.com/#!/GerardH51

EDIT: Its cold and wet aparently.

Edited by Youichi, 14 June 2011 - 13:42.

#69 chrisj

chrisj

• 578 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 14:15

I wonder if McLaren brought the "Mansell spec" wide tub for Tony. I heard that Coulthard is the emcee of the event.

#70 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 14:20

I read it as 8:00pm not 8:30. :)

#71 MaxCrazyEddieCayer

MaxCrazyEddieCayer

• 91 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 14:46

Can't Wait!! Man I wish i could have gone, If any of you went to the Canadian grand prix and still have your tickets Stub you can exchange them for Nascar cup tickets for the next Cup race at the glen!! Sweet.. Its a Cool Deal to go along with the Swap Car thing!!! So its on at 8 pm (Montreal time that is) on speed tonight and getting replayed at 11 pm tonight....

#72 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:41

Can't Wait!! Man I wish i could have gone, If any of you went to the Canadian grand prix and still have your tickets Stub you can exchange them for Nascar cup tickets for the next Cup race at the glen!! Sweet.. Its a Cool Deal to go along with the Swap Car thing!!! So its on at 8 pm (Montreal time that is) on speed tonight and getting replayed at 11 pm tonight....

Very cool! Note the NASCAR race in Montreal is a Nationwide race. But trust me, it's better than a Cup race because there is a greater likelihood of guest drivers and they drive in the rain!

#73 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:38

Gerard Hetman is tweeting pics from the pitlane.

http://twitter.com/#!/GerardH51

EDIT: Its cold and wet aparently.

He is posting some great pictures. Tony Stewart isn't half as big as people here say he is.

#74 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,373 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:42

Home slice lost a lot of weight during the off-season too.

#75 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:43

Home slice lost a lot of weight during the off-season too.

Who is home slice? :cool:

#76 purplesector

purplesector

• 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:57

They've missed a marketing opportunity here by using Hamilton instead of Sutil (allegedly) - could have called the event Smoke and the Bandit.

#77 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 18:33

Very cool! Note the NASCAR race in Montreal is a Nationwide race. But trust me, it's better than a Cup race because there is a greater likelihood of guest drivers and they drive in the rain!

Read it again OLB, if you took you CDN GP ticket to the Glen, they would give you a ticket for the Glen Cup race, and a rain poncho :rotfl:

#78 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 18:57

Who is home slice? :cool:

T-Stew

#79 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 18:57

Read it again OLB, if you took you CDN GP ticket to the Glen, they would give you a ticket for the Glen Cup race, and a rain poncho :rotfl:

Disregard, I suck c0cks.

They should let you get in free to the N'wide race in Montreal though!

Edited by OfficeLinebacker, 14 June 2011 - 18:58.

Advertisement

#80 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 19:01

well atleast we know you get plenty of protein

did lewis do proper laps in the cup car?

#81 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 19:29

Photo gallery

#82 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:00

Sounds like DC asking the questions

http://video-embed.s...id=993282084001

#83 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:15

well atleast we know you get plenty of protein

did lewis do proper laps in the cup car?

Yes, Lewis actually did more laps in the Cup car than Tony did. I have to say, even with mostly NASCAR fans there it seemed like everyone was mighty impressed with the F1 car. What a sound! Completely outdoes the Cup car.

I'll be posting a few videos shortly...not the best but its something. Also, I didn't even know Coulthard was going to be there.

#84 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:20

Nice pix Hunny..Thanx

I like this Over-Shoulder jobbie
Posted Image
Jp

#85 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,321 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:28

Both of them were somewhat tip toeing around. Neither wanted to jack up the others ride.

#86 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:29

Lewis does a burnout in the Cup car

Lewis' first flyby @ the Glen in the Mclaren

BTW, Lewis brought the MP4-23, not the 2010 spec car as I thought the press release indicated. He had Pirelli tires though.

Edited by T-Mobile, 14 June 2011 - 22:42.

#87 decoysa

decoysa

• 57 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:57

Anyone know any streaming links for speed ? I'm in uk and would like to watch the show before I go to sleep !

#88 loki

loki

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:07

That's ridiculous though. Jeff Gordon is American and thus too large to fit in a F1 car. Look at how Montoya had to fatten up just so his stock car wasn't too big for him.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#89 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:33

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

off iracing forum :D its the bus stop bit at the glen

#90 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:36

Lewis does a burnout in the Cup car

Lewis' first flyby @ the Glen in the Mclaren

BTW, Lewis brought the MP4-23, not the 2010 spec car as I thought the press release indicated. He had Pirelli tires though.

Thanks for the info and videos

Stewart seems to have fallen in :love: with F1 cars and Lewis
and Lewis seemed to have enjoyed the day, good for him.

#91 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:37

freddy49_fut?#/w/1337161616 on justin ;)

#92 loki

loki

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:42

He is posting some great pictures. Tony Stewart isn't half as big as people here say he is.

He did a special one off of Tony Stewart Live the night before Eldora and talked a bit about working out and getting back in shape. He looks good. He's always been a bit big boned for a race driver but the few seasons before this one he was packing on the pounds.

#93 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:42

lewis got roped into eldora for prelude to the dream :D

#94 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:49

http://www.facebook....39.206511565887

#95 loki

loki

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:49

lewis got roped into eldora for prelude to the dream :D

He was talking about wanting to get some F1 and rally guys involved. Lewis isn't such a bad guy, for a hoon........ :ducks: :kiss:

#96 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 909 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:55

Great pics. I'm not sure why, but I'm surprised Lewis enjoyed the stock car so much. Looks like it was a great time. I'm about to tune into Speed to check it out

#97 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 00:16

It's now on Speed. Jeez how the fat Nascar guy fits into F1 cockpit is hard to comprehend.

#98 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 00:17

I'm catching the first few minutes but have to run off in a bit. I'm sure it will be downloadable on torrent.

#99 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 00:20

must....tear....self...away....

Advertisement

#100 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,756 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 00:37

<grub>pit this lap
<lewis>sorry didnt hear that