Photo

Hamilton and Stewart to swap rides at The Glen

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#151 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:03

Great links, everyone, and damn, I'm jealous, that must have been a blast, T man.
The cool thing I liked about your last post was not seeing the car, but the pure aural.
You can hear T Stew pounding down the gears and then start up shifting. Minimal background noise at all other than the Mac getting worked.
Sweet.

Advertisement

#152 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:58

+ fom mics are poor

and it was great hearing the car round there, sound bouncing off the armco's :)

#153 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:27

No that's just how racing mics work, they don't want all the background noise.

@Ralliart, why would there be a crane?

#154 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:51

Well, if one of them had put their car over the barrier or ended up in one of the trees or flipped into the grandstands, a crane might come in handy. They were driving those cars at more than a pedestrian pace were they not?

#155 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:53

They weren't going much faster than out-lap speeds. So I'm not sure anyone was going to have a Driven-esque flight into the forest. I'm sure the medical servicse available were up to scratch.

#156 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:39

There was indeed a small helicopter at one point, however, it was nothing like a rescue helicopter of any kind. I don't think those kind of precautions were in place, but I am sure Watkins Glen is fully prepared to handle an accident.

The sound....what can you say? I'm sure the big engines of years gone by were amazing, but I don't see how anyone can be too bitter about how the current engines sound. That MP4-23 sounded absolutely fantastic. Videos and TV really can't do it justice, you have to be there for yourself.

I was planning on going to Austin next year, but now I am wondering if I should go to Montreal instead...

#157 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:06

These were essentially installation laps. I'm sure they had things in place in case of an unfortunate accident.

#158 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:07

I was planning on going to Austin next year, but now I am wondering if I should go to Montreal instead...

T Mobile, I like you, I really do. But your mind, it's just too small. You present the options as if they are mutually exclusive. You can do BOTH!

:rotfl:

#159 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 14:14

T Mobile, I like you, I really do. But your mind, it's just too small. You present the options as if they are mutually exclusive. You can do BOTH!

:rotfl:

Being a fresh college grad I am not sure if my finances will allow that. Especially since I am trying to do so many other things, like upgrade the turbo in my WRX.

Though if it were possible (which by that time I will no doubt have a pay raise) I would definitely like to attend both races!

Advertisement

#160 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 18:14

Was I the only one disappointed with this? It kinda sucked watching Lewis drive the course on half throttle at best. It seems like both Hamilton and Stewart were given a directive to not embarrass each other, so each one crawled in their own cars, and soft-pedaled in the unfamiliar car. I think Gordon and Montoya thing was much more serious.

#161 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 18:30

Was I the only one disappointed with this? It kinda sucked watching Lewis drive the course on half throttle at best. It seems like both Hamilton and Stewart were given a directive to not embarrass each other, so each one crawled in their own cars, and soft-pedaled in the unfamiliar car. I think Gordon and Montoya thing was much more serious.

This was definitely a PR thing, I don't think the JG/JPM thing was. Also, if you run that Cup car balls to the wall in those track conditions, it's about a 99% certainty you'll end the day with a wadded up car. It was mighty damp for an under tyred, overpowered behemoth to get any grip at all.

#162 P123

P123

• 8,363 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 18:32

I think the damp track probably had more to do with it. Did either of them get to run on slicks?

#163 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:45

I think the damp track probably had more to do with it. Did either of them get to run on slicks?

No, they didn't run slicks. Although they did joke about it after returning to the pits. I was impressed with the fact that they even put the Cup car out there...

#164 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:56

Its probably one of the handful of times the cots even run in the rain :/, but they did a handful of laps in each car only... :(. so rain and pitiful laps would stop lap record attempts :/

#165 redbroccoli

redbroccoli

• 129 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:04

Although Lewis sliding the cup car and doing donut brought little fun, I was disappointed as well.
It was like watching outlap as someone put it.

#166 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:11

I actually liked Lewis in the Chevy, he was drifting it decently. That thing was always going to be at a crawl in the damp. At the very end he seemed to be downright abusing it, there were corners where he was deep in the throttle and spinning up the rears to the point of actual smoke coming off the tires.

#167 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 966 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:37

Too bad about the weather. It definitely took the excitement out of the whole affair. The coverage was pretty bogus too. When the cars finally took to the track there was like 5 minutes left in the broadcast :(

#168 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:32

Both the JPM/JG swap and this PR stunt leave those of us that like both types of racing pretty disatisfied.
The concept does have a ton of potential though, I could envision something like this being done every year after the Montreal GP at Watkins Glen.
It would benefit both series, and I have no doubt that anyone in NASCAR would provide a car and driver. From F-1, I'm not so sure.
Can we petition to see Kyle Busch swap his ride with Alonso next year?
Or Vettel and Jimmy Johnson swap?
Could be bunches of fun if done seriously, and the weather permits.

#169 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:50

problem is theres no manufactors involved in both series anymore :(.
you could ship a stock car to europe or whatever aswell, they dont need all the extra bits a f1 car does

#170 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:25

This was definitely a PR thing, I don't think the JG/JPM thing was.

Oh, it most assuredly was a PR thing, just not for motor oil or a sponsor.

#171 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:37

problem is theres no manufactors involved in both series anymore :(.
you could ship a stock car to europe or whatever aswell, they dont need all the extra bits a f1 car does

I thought Dodge is Fiat now?
Penske's cup car and a Ferrari could be a tenuous tie in.
I don't think you would get a Cup Driver into the shipment to Europe and NASCAR doesn't have a race close by Europe.
But wouldn't it be fun to see JPM at Spa in his Target sled?

#172 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:42

Oh, it most assuredly was a PR thing, just not for motor oil or a sponsor.

I kinda meant in comparison to what TS and LH just did, a few laps and a lot of photo ops.
The JG/JPM thing was orchestrated by IMS wasn't it? As a promotion of their new F-1 track I believe.

#173 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:57

The most obvious choices for a swap would be the Red Bull teams from each series.

And it's F1, not F-1. Sorry. That's just been bugging me about your posts for ages.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 17 June 2011 - 17:00.

#174 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 17:18

And it's F1, not F-1. Sorry. That's just been bugging me about your posts for ages.

Duly noted...
:blush:

#175 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 22:46

Nice report and video from Gerard Hetman (he made the twitter coverage) from Watkins Glen

http://www.f1fanatic...den-nascar-run/

#176 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 23:12

didnt know/forgot dodge was owned by fiat.

redbull could do a TON of cross over stuff if they wanted to with all the teams and drivers they sponsor

#177 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 15:59

I kinda meant in comparison to what TS and LH just did, a few laps and a lot of photo ops.
The JG/JPM thing was orchestrated by IMS wasn't it? As a promotion of their new F-1 track I believe.

Oh yeah, in comparison, definitely. Not sure whether JG/JPM was orchestrated by IMS or by TV folk. I thought the latter, although it did showcase IMS as well.

#178 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 16:50

It came about via Hendrick somehow. Did he have BMW dealerships? Because there wasn't a single link between the two teams at the sponsorship level. I don't even think the drivers came from the same management company.

#179 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 19:11

It came about via Hendrick somehow. Did he have BMW dealerships? Because there wasn't a single link between the two teams at the sponsorship level. I don't even think the drivers came from the same management company.

That's why I make the remarks I make. Just mysteriously happened. Seriously, look no further than the TV folk. I don't think Hendrick would have initiated it. The TV folk, OTOH, wanting to fulfill Jeff in an F1 car, yes.

If it was a certain production company, no further questions need be asked (which, I think it was).

Oh, and no worries about going off the rails. I've said my piece here :up:

Edited by Jim Thurman, 18 June 2011 - 20:21.

Advertisement

#180 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:02

It was covered by Speed, and not that well covered really. I mean it was a good program and all but didn't make much of a blip. And sure Williams had to benefit somehow to bother.

#181 loki

loki

• 2,026 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:22

Penske's cup car and a Ferrari could be a tenuous tie in.

Penske and Steve Wynn own one of the largest Ferrari dealerships in the US, located at Wynn Las Vegas.

http://www.penskewynnferrari.com/

#182 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 16:14

It was covered by Speed, and not that well covered really. I mean it was a good program and all but didn't make much of a blip. And sure Williams had to benefit somehow to bother.

Yes, I remember it was on SPEED. Ross, you do know LGP, the production company that did "Thunder" for ESPN, did a tremendous amount of programs for SPEED until just the last couple of years? For example, Wind Tunnel was theirs. I believe they even produced the news program on SPEED. They did quite a bit.

Concur on the coverage, and about Williams. Didn't Williams have some U.S. based sponsors at the time though?

#183 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,279 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 16:23

Almost all of them. Or at least heavy American market share. BMW, HP, Budweiser, Castrol, etc. I'm just trying to find the killer tie-in that got the team to care. Unless having Jeff Gordon drive it was enough of a PR reason for them. Especially for all the brands that wouldn't have access to him, like BMW and Michelin.