get up at O dark thirty for teh race and it's tape delayed
grrrrrrrr
back to bed....

Advertisement

#152 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:41

Ok, well first of all, the Hungaroring sucks. It makes all the cars actually look slow. Everything looks like its on a small scale here for some reason. While I did stay awake through this GP as opposed to some older races in Hungary, I can say without a doubt that I would not miss this race if it fell off the calendar.

Now, as for SPEED, I thought they did OK today. I think there may have been a bit less commercials this race, but due to NASCAR race day the post race coverage was cut short. Although I'll be able to see it later on the tape delay. I think Will Buxton's interview with Jensen Button was pretty good, and it had great clips edited in.

While I generally like the SPEED commentators, they do often jump the gun when trying to call strategy. They were all wondering why in the world Alonso didn't wait to come in for intermediates towards the end when we all saw that they weren't needed after all. Obviously with the benefit of hindsight it's easy, but Steve was so adamant about the strategy call that he looked rather silly in the end.

If I could find a consistently good BBC feed I would probably just watch the SPEED tape delays afterword. I like them a lot, but for live race coverage you can't really beat the BBC it seems. Although I'd miss Hobb's remarks that shouldn't be as funny as they are. For some reason I found myself laughing when during qualifying he said "...and here's Alonso lurking around in 4th."

#153 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:36

An amazing race from Hungay today.
Due to ads they lost some moments but in an action-packed race it was unavoidable.

Edited by weston, 31 July 2011 - 17:45.

#154 Mila

Mila

• 5,704 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:20

PM passed KR for the lead of the Spanish GP while they were away for commercial. ok, so we missed one--these things happen. what sticks in my craw, however, is that, when they returned from the break, they didn't even mention the pass, never mind a reply.

a sign Bernie's brainwashing is taking its toll? "Pirellis are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful tires we've ever known in our lives." forget passes for the lead--how many times can they mention these fascinating tires and their ability to turn GPs into lotteries?

all in all, they have a tall order to fill in selling this brand of F1. good luck to them.

Edited by Mila, 15 May 2012 - 20:21.

#155 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,396 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 22:47

PM passed KR for the lead of the Spanish GP while they were away for commercial. ok, so we missed one--these things happen. what sticks in my craw, however, is that, when they returned from the break, they didn't even mention the pass, never mind a reply.

a sign Bernie's brainwashing is taking its toll? "Pirellis are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful tires we've ever known in our lives." forget passes for the lead--how many times can they mention these fascinating tires and their ability to turn GPs into lotteries?

all in all, they have a tall order to fill in selling this brand of F1. good luck to them.

BE rules by intimidation and bullying; tow the line or you loss your TV rights.

#156 Barri

Barri

• 270 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:29

I've been watching F1 on speed channel now for over 10 years, and let me tell you, it is the worst broadcast I've ever watched F1 on.
You get Bombarded by ads every 10min or so, when you pay to get the channel! Yes, I pay for it and I see more comercials then the actual race.
I have to put up with comentators talking shit and confusing the name of the drivers in every single f@&!# race!!
Why Bob Varsha insists on making comparisons between baseball and F1?
Next Gp I'm putting my tv on mute!
I wish Peter Windsor could take over Bob's position. or if somehow we could have bbc and sky broadcast here in the US.

#157 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:31

The commentators are good but the constant commercials are super annoying.

#158 jdanton

jdanton

• 739 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:31

I've been watching F1 on speed channel now for over 10 years, and let me tell you, it is the worst broadcast I've ever watched F1 on.
You get Bombarded by ads every 10min or so, when you pay to get the channel! Yes, I pay for it and I see more comercials then the actual race.
I have to put up with comentators talking shit and confusing the name of the drivers in every single f@&!# race!!
Why Bob Varsha insists on making comparisons between baseball and F1?
Next Gp I'm putting my tv on mute!
I wish Peter Windsor could take over Bob's position. or if somehow we could have bbc and sky broadcast here in the US.

Peter could you stop drinking. I think you've had enough. Also, google streaming live sports.

#159 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,713 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:33

The 3 Amigo's rock! Love SPEED coverage.

Advertisement

#160 Barri

Barri

• 270 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:36

The 3 Amigo's rock! Love SPEED coverage.

Comentators are good? Have you guys seen the BBC coverage??
Give me a break!

#161 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:38

They're good analysts but commentary isn't their top skill. Although I kind of like that style (apart from the commercials). It's just three blokes talking about the race :p.

#162 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:41

Give me a break!

British commentators show no emotion. The races are much duller with them commentating.

#163 firebone

firebone

• 186 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:41

I don't mind them. UK definitely has superior commentators.
Their on-air mistakes have a nice Murray Walker vibe sometimes.

This weekend during Q3, Alonso and Massa came out and Alonso had a slow lap giving Massa the tow. They discuss this being a good idea for a minute, talk about something else for a couple seconds, and one of them yells out something along the lines of 'wow, Alonso with only a 1:30...he must be having a hard time putting a lap together!'

#164 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,713 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:43

Give me a break!

Why don't you ask someone to teach you how to get a live stream and quit crying. You make your own choices.

Edited by Watkins74, 10 September 2012 - 01:44.

#165 SR388

SR388

• 3,773 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:44

I think speed was pretty bad this week. I can't say I can do a better job but the commentators were making silly mistakes. Throughout the entire weekend Varsha kept saying Seb won in 2007, even when it popped up on the screen saying 2008.

Also the commercials are rediculous. I figure FOM charges a lot and I imagine the viewership numbers are low so they have to put in a lot of ads.

I wish they would at least do what NBC does for Indy and go side by side for the ads.

Edited by SR388, 10 September 2012 - 01:45.

#166 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 292 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:31

I think speed was pretty bad this week. I can't say I can do a better job but the commentators were making silly mistakes. Throughout the entire weekend Varsha kept saying Seb won in 2007, even when it popped up on the screen saying 2008.

Also the commercials are rediculous. I figure FOM charges a lot and I imagine the viewership numbers are low so they have to put in a lot of ads.

I wish they would at least do what NBC does for Indy and go side by side for the ads.

Urgh, I only watched Speed on Friday but that whole "2007 Italian GP" thing really irked me.

#167 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:34

I used to hate Speed as well, but after the Fox11 broadcasts last summer I'm actually kind of relieved to have it the broadcasts back on SpeedTV.

Still, I wish I could watch it on the BBC.

#168 MP422

MP422

• 1,746 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:50

I just don't like the commercials on speed. The announcers are genuine and entertaining, I think SM is better with detail then GA most of the time on technical stuff. Both are good though.

Edited by MP422, 10 September 2012 - 02:51.

#169 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:53

I think the main reason is that they're sitting in a room in North Carolina, and not around the track.

In my opinion, the distance can separate a lot of emotion and urgency.

However, I think each commentary team has their flaws and their strengths. The only thing that bothers me is getting commercials every 5 minutes... I just switched to a BBC audio feed for those 4 minute commercial breaks though :p

Just be happy that we get to watch the race live on a channel versus seeing a replay on a 12 hour time delay, only showing highlights.

& Izod pays for a major chunk of advertising to make this happen... F1 is missing kind of a major sponsor here in the states; preventing that from happening at the moment. We can dream though T.T

Edited by Deluxx, 10 September 2012 - 02:55.

#170 exmayol

exmayol

• 552 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:07

I share the sentiments by Speed coverage is better than no coverage at all ;(

Edited by exmayol, 10 September 2012 - 03:07.

#171 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:20

They are a good bunch of guys,but you're right,the commercial are too much,but thats all we have,I want speedvision back.

#172 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:25

I'd happily pay $3 per race for commercial-free viewing. If there were enough of us willing to do the same, who knows.

#173 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,321 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:47

Yeah, they are the best.

"Is that Vettel????????" "Is the leader out??????"

"Oh we lost the leader??????" "OH No!!" "They hit the leader!"

"And Webber is through" [...] "wait is that Vettel?"

"That's Vettel - all the leaders are through safely! That must be Alguersuari"

"Buemi!"

"Buemi out"

[race feed: Jaime Alguersuari]

"Alguersuari out and the leaders are though - amazing!"

"Petrov in the wall"

"Buemi came around the corner and right into the wall and Petrov was trying to...is that Petrov?"

"Alguersuari came..."

"Yes Alguersuari came around into Petrov there. It looks serious."

It did look serious - remember the Monaco mash up? Well that was what we got. It was ridiculous and that was just one example. They mix up teammate names so often, I've taken to assuming that whoever they name, they actually mean the other one. Pathetic. I now mute them - once the race starts.

Edited by bourbon, 10 September 2012 - 03:50.

#174 911

• 2,207 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:56

Speed is all we have here in the States, so I'm thankful for them. I remember in the old days (before ESPN) when there was hardly any coverage here in the States. We had an abbreviated showing of Monaco on ABC, and then certain races on CBS and that was it.

#175 rage2

rage2

• 204 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:27

Speed's coverage is good, but commercials drive me nuts.

TSN's coverage is good, but commercials drive me nuts.

I have both Speed on DirecTV and TSN on Bell ExpressVu, so I watch live and switch between the 2. Usually, there are 2 commercial breaks during a race where both sides are on commercial, so it's as good as it's going to get in North America. You can easily subscribe to both services regardless of where you are, Canada or US.

I also have a VPN service which lets me watch BBC live, but now some races aren't live, and there's so many people on it that it's really low res or it stutters.

Edited by rage2, 10 September 2012 - 04:28.

#176 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45

Speed's coverage is good, but commercials drive me nuts.

TSN's coverage is good, but commercials drive me nuts.

I have both Speed on DirecTV and TSN on Bell ExpressVu, so I watch live and switch between the 2. Usually, there are 2 commercial breaks during a race where both sides are on commercial, so it's as good as it's going to get in North America. You can easily subscribe to both services regardless of where you are, Canada or US.

I also have a VPN service which lets me watch BBC live, but now some races aren't live, and there's so many people on it that it's really low res or it stutters.

at least TSN do the side by side thing so even though you have to put up with the commercials,you can still see if something is happening and i usually watch with live timing so it's still easy to follow the race.

#177 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:50

TSN is just BBC with commercials. DC and Ben Edwards do the commentary.

#178 fer312t

fer312t

• 783 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:30

I used to like Speed coverage, but in general I just cannot stand 'the guys' these days...

- Varsha is a total gossip and some sort of lecher...
- Matchett is a bloviating and sanctimonious windbag regarding the sacrosanct "Teams"...
- Will "Look at my cool dragon pants!" Buxton is just a twit of the highest order...

Hobbs is really the only one I have any respect for...

#179 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:38

I used to like Speed coverage, but in general I just cannot stand 'the guys' these days...

- Varsha is a total gossip and some sort of lecher...
- Matchett is a bloviating and sanctimonious windbag regarding the sacrosanct "Teams"...
- Will "Look at my cool dragon pants!" Buxton is just a twit of the highest order...

Hobbs is really the only one I have any respect for...

Switch Varsha with Hobbs, and we are on the same wavelength.

Advertisement

#180 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,263 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:25

British commentators show no emotion. The races are much duller with them commentating.

So you've never heard Murray Walker, Ben Edwards, David Croft, James Allen or Martin Brundle commentate? If that's not emotion I'm not sure what kind of crazy shouting maniac you want talking about F1.

#181 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:39

Same. Every little youtube video with F1 footage based on the SPEED channel is filled with annoying music, an annoying accent and the lack of seriousness is disturbing. I like F1 when it's being taken serious but there it simply is not.

#182 toniovodka

toniovodka

• 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:59

Looks like SPEED in the US is not as good as in Latin America, we still get some pinks and monster jam to fill the day but for the most part is really good, most races are live and we even get series that are not available in the US like the DTM (live, and recorded replays) and some Indycar races.

#183 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 22:03

The days of boring old Legard are long gone, these days we have Ben Edwards (BBC) and David Croft (Sky) who can explode at any time.

#184 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 22:23

The bias that comes through for/against drivers of a certain team/nationality is what I find grating. They DO provide some good insight/info, but can also give you some bad intel...particularly Hobbo.

There is also Fox Deportes in the States (I live in NYC and get that on Fios). I don't speak Spanish, but they provide Live FOM coverage even when Fox was broadcasting several Summer races that pre-empted Speed coverage. Far fewer commercials on Deportes, too! :up: As they say, "check your local listings."  ;)

#185 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,411 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:40

Man the ads are amazing, when I had Speed i'd record and watch later it was that bad. TSN runs WAY fewer ads.

#186 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:10

Hunting for streams in the laptop with live timing on the side is much better than anything Speed has to offer. If you have a computer and a somewhat decent internet connection, it's much better.

For the BBC races, go to cienen.com or a similar service and get the 3 hour free trial (most of them allow you to try the service once every 30 days). Choose a UK server, go to the BBC iPlayer and enjoy.

#187 Barri

Barri

• 270 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:33

And let's not forget when they cut the broadcast short!
When Pastor won in Barcelona, for the first time in ten years, they didn't show the podium ceremony!
I wonder why...

#188 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:38

When Pastor won in Barcelona, for the first time in ten years, they didn't show the podium ceremony!
I wonder why...

I think news were breaking about Jimmie Johnson mowing his lawn or something like that. Don't remember.

#189 discover23

discover23

• 3,731 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:01

They crossed the line with the commercials this past race.. I missed the overtakes of Perez on Kimi .. really annoying..

#190 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:14

Two of the three Speed announcers are British, Hobbs and Matchett, well they were born British not sure if they changed passports, anyway if you are ever watching a Speed broadcast and someone puts a wheel off or if we see some wheel to wheel racing you would be amazed at the 'oooos and arrrrs' coming from the two of them, especially Matchett. They both have their favorites, Hobbs is a Hamilton fan and Matchett is a Ferrari fan. Bob Varsha adds a calming effect to the broadcast and really is the thread that holds it all together

#191 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:29

Speed forces us to watch a minute and a half of Photoshopped MTV-video footage with bad music every time they come back from a commercial. Why?

They cover half the screen with huge graphics to advertise SHOWS I WILL NEVER, EVER WATCH.

And while they used to be good about it, Hobbes and co. now chatter over the in car footage, and are starting to over the in car radio messages as well.

Not to mention - DON'T TALK OVER THE CANDID DISCUSSIONS THE DRIVERS ARE HAVING AFTER THE RACE!!!!!!!! AHHHRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"hey, Vettel and Perez are talking about something with Phil Prew, and "BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBALHABLHAB" over the top of it. WHAT IS A FORMULA ONE FAN GOING TO WANT TO HEAR THAT'S MORE INTERESTING THAN WHAT ALONSO IS SAYING TO VETTEL ABOUT THE RACE THEY WERE JUST IN? WHAT IS PREW SAYING TO PEREZ??? I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I CAN'T FRAKKING HEAR THEM!!!!

#192 SR388

SR388

• 3,773 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:50

I also like how they have Sam Posey chiming in on some of their shows.

The guy entered two grands prix and did remarkably mediocre in both.

Get Eddie Cheever or something.

In fact, what is Cheever doing these days?

#193 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:40

They also waste a horde of time with "filler" footage when ever they decide to show you "what happened back when": just show the clip, I don't need random footage before it to comprehend "yes, this is not from "now"".

They don't seem to understand the ONLY reason we are watching is for the footage of what is going on NOW, and that it sucks to interfere with that in any way. The wasting time coming back from commercials - only to show someone's idea of a "music video" instead of the race - is so idiotic I have the urge to walk out my front door and yell at the squirrels.

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 14 September 2012 - 08:42.

#194 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:27

Varsha & co are pretty terrible when commentating events other than F1... like Le Mans and Daytona. But with F1 I strongly prefer them over the Sky / BBC / Ten squads. Yes they make silly mistakes and ramble for nothing from time to time but I like their chats, British commentators are too dry for my taste and features kinda suck.

I love Speed broadcasts, but then again most of the stuff I watch is on that channel.

#195 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40

I also like how they have Sam Posey chiming in on some of their shows.

The guy entered two grands prix and did remarkably mediocre in both.

Get Eddie Cheever or something.

In fact, what is Cheever doing these days?

Wait, so you realize that Sam Posey raced in two GP's, but you can't figure out that he is the most respected motorsports journalist left alive in America?

#196 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 13:13

Wait, so you realize that Sam Posey raced in two GP's, but you can't figure out that he is the most respected motorsports journalist left alive in America?

He might have been at one time, but his semi-poetic waxings nowadays are rambling, idiotic, and sad. I record most of the races so I can fast forward through them, just like the adverts.

#197 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:28

The commercials lately have really been frustrating. Their frequency only seems to be increasing. Even my father made a comment about it last week..

#198 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:40

I get tired of Bob's hand-wringing angst and seeming to think that most encounters on the track are deserving of investigation to be penalized.

#199 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,838 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:59

Sam Posey is suffering from Parkinson's. It's up to you but you might give him a break.

Advertisement

#200 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:14

I wonder why...

They had to cut to a live, 2-hour Nascrap pre-race show.

:cool: