Photo

2011 Indy 500

• Please log in to reply
1475 replies to this topic

#1 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 16:16

Rookie orientation has started and Pippa Mann has breezed through all 4 stages along with Hinchcliffe, Hildebrand and Kimball.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 20:17

First full day interrupted by rain with Ed Carpenter at the top. Scott Dixon second having only done 4 laps, doesn't take him long to get dialled in does it!

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,057 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 21:06

Good to see the rookies in.

#4 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 21:36

Have been watching some videos in the last couple of previous races to get myself in the mood, looking forward to it now :)

#5 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,747 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:07

http://www.indystar....xt|IndyStar.com

Interesting list.

#6 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:39

I have good memories of the 2001 race, coz FO 2001 was coming out for the ps2 near that time here, and it was an exiting time. the 2009 race was a good one of late. :)

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:46

I see that all build-up sessions will be streamed live now on http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

PS...May I just say that Bloggswoth's first post was a woefully poor offering for the 100th anniversary of this classic event.
We should have all sorts of fancy stuff in there like...

Posted Image

Facility Website

Series Website

Timing/Scoring and some live video

Speedway Weather Radar

IndyCar YouTube page

International TV coverage

Month of May radio coverage

Indycar's best blogger

Last year's race thread

Jerry Entin's cool vintage thread

and all that jazz...
right?

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 15 May 2011 - 16:19.

#8 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:49

And its raining! not that it matters.

Edited by Andy865, 15 May 2011 - 14:53.

#9 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Well done Jp. Love that image! :)

#10 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Sarah Fisher apparently still doesn't have a driver. I wonder who she may pick up at this relatively late date?

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:51

http://www.indystar....xt|IndyStar.com

Interesting list.

As Montoya was Cart champion in 1999, why did he not compete at the 500? I thought that was a round of the Cart championship back then.

#12 Risil

Risil

• 13,429 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:04

As Montoya was Cart champion in 1999, why did he not compete at the 500? I thought that was a round of the Cart championship back then.

I think Roger Penske had a falling-out with Jim Nabors in 1996 and CART stopped running a championship round at Indy. It wasn't very big news at the time and many people missed it, but it led to the formation of the IRL.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:05

Cheers. :up:

#14 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:12

No, the Indy 500 was the centrepiece of Tony George's rival Indy Racing League (IRL). All the CART teams boycotted the Brickyard in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:33

It wasn't Gomer Pyle's idea?
Jp

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:45

Sarah Fisher apparently still doesn't have a driver. I wonder who she may pick up at this relatively late date?

The obvious choice would be Dan Wheldon, but he appears to have shat on someone's doorstep and become persona non grata in the IRL community.

#17 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:48

I see that all build-up sessions will be streamed live now on http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

PS...May I just say that Bloggswoth's first post was a woefully poor offering for the 100th anniversary of this classic event.
We should have all sorts of fancy stuff in there like...

Posted Image

I just wanted to get in before danicafan........

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:52

Cheeky Bloggsworth :p
Jp

#19 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:53

Well, if you want to go all historical, I am the one sitting on the right in this 1964 picture of us loading Dan Gurney's Lotus on the high-tech Thames Flatback we used in those days...

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 16:12

The thing that bugs me about www.indycar.com is that complete lack of current information, I had to take the convoluted route to the live stream to find out that it is raining in Indianapolis. When it comes to sport, it is about the least updated site I visit, and also complicated to navigate. Click on Multimedia, get to live timing before the pane closes because you moved your mouse a millimetre the wrong way and nothing; another time you may be invited to go to live timing somewhere else on the page, this may take you to a drop down with about 3 names on it and an invitation to click another button to go to live timing, then you get there. They used, on the the LT page, to tell you why there were yellow flags, why practice had been stopped; now you get "Jim Drysdale has entered the pits" and the table is actually indicating that all the cars are in the pit.

Sorry, just rabbiting while they wave their umbrellas about. Furriners don't seem to understand the purpose of umbrellas, they are meant to be an aid to dignity and handed to the butler along with your bowler hat, I have no idea where they got the idea that they were for opening up and keeping the rain off ones person.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 15 May 2011 - 16:13.

#21 ch103

ch103

• 702 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 19:09

I am really hoping that Justin Wilson pulls off the win!!!

#22 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:38

The thing that bugs me about www.indycar.com is that complete lack of current information, I had to take the convoluted route to the live stream to find out that it is raining in Indianapolis. When it comes to sport, it is about the least updated site I visit, and also complicated to navigate. Click on Multimedia, get to live timing before the pane closes because you moved your mouse a millimetre the wrong way and nothing; another time you may be invited to go to live timing somewhere else on the page, this may take you to a drop down with about 3 names on it and an invitation to click another button to go to live timing, then you get there. They used, on the the LT page, to tell you why there were yellow flags, why practice had been stopped; now you get "Jim Drysdale has entered the pits" and the table is actually indicating that all the cars are in the pit.

Sorry, just rabbiting while they wave their umbrellas about. Furriners don't seem to understand the purpose of umbrellas, they are meant to be an aid to dignity and handed to the butler along with your bowler hat, I have no idea where they got the idea that they were for opening up and keeping the rain off ones person.

If you think indycar.com is bad, check out indy500.com. For such a marvelous, glorious facility, it sure does have a pathetic website.

#23 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:42

Well, it was another rainy day down here at the track. No activity today, it was cancelled. But I got to hang out in the Andretti garage so it was still a good day..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,376 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:17

It wasn't very big news at the time and many people missed it,

:lol:

#25 Zeroninety

Zeroninety

• 175 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:47

The obvious choice would be Dan Wheldon, but he appears to have shat on someone's doorstep and become persona non grata in the IRL community.

Wheldon already has an Indy ride with Bryan Herta's team.

Edited by Zeroninety, 16 May 2011 - 02:47.

#26 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,390 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:48

I will be going down to Indy next weekend for the qualifying and wonder if there is any way to get access to the paddock? Are there any tickets for that and how do you get them?

/Viktor

#27 teejay

teejay

• 3,601 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:00

Shame I cant actually watch this in Australia.

Will be following the best I can.

#28 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:17

I think Roger Penske had a falling-out with Jim Nabors in 1996 and CART stopped running a championship round at Indy. It wasn't very big news at the time and many people missed it, but it led to the formation of the IRL.

If Penske tangled with Nabors, Penske would be sleeping with the fishes.

Do.Not.Mess.With.Gomer.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:43

And isn't Ed Carpenter in the SFR car? But let's not allow facts to ruin a good whinge...

#30 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:59

I thought that as he hadn't appeared on the first day that that had gone by the board. I still don't understand why he hasn't got a full time ride, he must have upset someone, after all there are good (bad) percentage of makeweights in the field at any IRL race, and Wheldon wasn't a makeweight.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 16 May 2011 - 08:02.

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:03

Some of the one off drives and poorer teams are on what's known as the 'short program' which is a Honda lease deal for an 800mile engine for practice/qualifying and 26 sets of tires. A full program is 1200miles and 33 sets of tires. Everyone get full engine and tires for race day. So teams on slightly lower resources are skipping some of the early running.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 16 May 2011 - 08:03.

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:04

Well, it was another rainy day down here at the track. No activity today, it was cancelled. But I got to hang out in the Andretti garage so it was still a good day..

Posted Image

Careful laddie - You're beginning to look like a stalker :)

Edited by Bloggsworth, 16 May 2011 - 08:06.

#33 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:05

Some of the one off drives and poorer teams are on what's known as the 'short program' which is a Honda lease deal for an 800mile engine for practice/qualifying and 26 sets of tires. A full program is 1200miles and 33 sets of tires. Everyone get full engine and tires for race day. So teams on slightly lower resources are skipping some of the early running.

Paul Tracy was complaining about the reduced running time.

#34 sblick

sblick

• 477 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:56

I will be going down to Indy next weekend for the qualifying and wonder if there is any way to get access to the paddock? Are there any tickets for that and how do you get them?

/Viktor

Ask for I think it is called a Brass Pin. They cost 100 dollars and get you into the garage area or paddock. It is a local favorite since we can get to the track this whole week after work or take half days and make good use of the 100 dollar deal. I might get in trouble by locals for even posting this. Uh oh here come the police. :lol:

#35 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:13

What's wrong with Danica's face? It's getting more 'aerodynamic' in it's looks each time I see her lol...

#36 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 14:28

What's wrong with Danica's face? It's getting more 'aerodynamic' in it's looks each time I see her lol...

She's testing one of the new aero packages. We can only hope she doesn't adopt a rear attenuator.

#37 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:04

She's testing one of the new aero packages. We can only hope she doesn't adopt a rear attenuator.

:lol: Well since it's her face that is facing the on coming air, yes her helmet is ethereal, then that should not be a problem lol

#38 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:27

Looks a nice bright sunny day at the Brickyard.

#39 sblick

sblick

• 477 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:32

:lol: Well since it's her face that is facing the on coming air, yes her helmet is ethereal, then that should not be a problem lol

Last night Derek Daly was saying she had signed a contract with DEI or Dale Jrs Nationwide team to run the full schedule. So we won't see Danica for a while at Indy. Not that I care but others do I guess.

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:05

Danica just banged in in the fastest speed so far today 223.586 ...perhaps a farewell 500 win would be a nice sending off???
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 16 May 2011 - 17:17.

#41 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:39

If the cards fall right Danica is capable of winning Indy. But they will have to fall very, very right.

#42 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:00

Nice to have live streaming back on the IndyCar website, but, Jesus wept, the commentator's drone is dreadful!

#43 LoPresti

LoPresti

• 299 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:05

Nice to have live streaming back on the IndyCar website, but, Jesus wept, the commentator's drone is dreadful!

I read somewhere over the weekend that ABC/ESPN will not even be covering Pole Day - is this true?

#44 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:13

This time of year, I enjoy going back to some of Roy Hobbson's Indy 500 posts from the Silent Pagoda, because they're always good for a laugh:

> The Incomplete Almanac of Bothersome Indy 500 Spectators (Old School Bitter Race Fan and The Informed Guy will probably look familiar no matter which series you follow...)

> Carb Day Miscreants You'll Want to Avoid (which is more monstrous: The Majestic Infield Yeti or The Credentialed Blogger?)

> What They Don't Tell You About the Indy 500, Parts I-VI (a panoramic overview ranging from the horror of the trough-style urinals to "the surrealness of watching grown men cry as Jim Nabors does his thing")

#45 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:14

I read somewhere over the weekend that ABC/ESPN will not even be covering Pole Day - is this true?

I thought I saw there would be qualifying coverage on Versus. Can find where I saw it though.

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:34

Yeah, it's on Versus.
Jp

#47 IFRLIceman

IFRLIceman

• 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:34

I thought I saw there would be qualifying coverage on Versus. Can find where I saw it though.

Yes, you are correct, both pole day and bump day will be on Versus.

#48 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:38

Last night Derek Daly was saying she had signed a contract with DEI or Dale Jrs Nationwide team to run the full schedule. So we won't see Danica for a while at Indy. Not that I care but others do I guess.

Hmm well I wish her all the best wherever she goes. :)

#49 LoPresti

LoPresti

• 299 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:40

Yes, you are correct, both pole day and bump day will be on Versus.

They'll probably have way more coverage anyhow.

#50 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:32

This time of year, I enjoy going back to some of Roy Hobbson's Indy 500 posts from the Silent Pagoda, because they're always good for a laugh:

> The Incomplete Almanac of Bothersome Indy 500 Spectators (Old School Bitter Race Fan and The Informed Guy will probably look familiar no matter which series you follow...)

> Carb Day Miscreants You'll Want to Avoid (which is more monstrous: The Majestic Infield Yeti or The Credentialed Blogger?)

> What They Don't Tell You About the Indy 500, Parts I-VI (a panoramic overview ranging from the horror of the trough-style urinals to "the surrealness of watching grown men cry as Jim Nabors does his thing")

Thanks for that. Makes me think of home :cry:

I have an addition of the Bothersome Spectators list. They may be a derivative of a few of the others but in my mind they are distinct and every bit as annoying. I call them the “My Mom Doesn't Dress me Anymore” group. They generally fall into the 18-22 age range and are attending college. They have been to the race before with their parents. During those trips to the track they looked longingly at the “big kids” who were at the race without their square boring parents. Now that they are free of those boring old fuddy duddys (who are still paying all the bills as it happens), they are going to have fun like the grown-ups.

They begin drinking long before they arrive at their seats, which are always a few rows in front of me no matter where I sit. After many years I can spot them coming up the stairs. Baseball hats worn in the latest fashion, cargo shorts with tall boy beer cans in the pockets, and coolers big enough to carry liquid refreshment for Patton's 3rd Army. With no sense of proportion they bring a case of beer for each member of the group and try their damnedest to drink it all. As their blood alcohol level rises their primal screaming hoots and hollers become more frequent and their high fives more uncoordinated.

Once the pre-race festivities begin in earnest they take the annoying to a new level. Adding the F word to the National Anthem, shouting at the Service Personnel to ask if they've killed anyone, talking about the latest fraternity party through the playing of Taps. All the manners and decorum their poor parents tried to instill in them is being overwhelmed by the demon alcohol.

Luckily, once the race begins they start to lose steam. Combine the 0.5 blood alcohol level, the 90F heat and 95% humidity (ah Indiana weather), and an underdeveloped prefrontal cortex and there are only a few outcomes, most of which are good for you, the real race fan and adult. One or more have wandered off and can't find their way back the seats, a nice man in a yellow shirt has escorted them through Gate 6, or more likely they are slumped passed out in their seat on their way to 3rd degree sunburns.

I shall endeavor to get some pictures this year.