Photo

ZOOOM has just purchased Mario's Lotus 79!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:48

I wish to announce that I have recently purchased the Lotus that Mario Andretti used to capture his F1 World Championship back in 1978, the famous Lotus 79!
I have spent years searching for this fabulous machine and all my work has finally paid off. No expense has been spared.

Posted Image

I have even gone to the expense of having a one off reproduction of the helmet Mario wore at Monza that year!

Posted Image

Now, I recall the posts about Vintage magazine and how many of you have criticized the Peter Revson McLaren...
I won't stand for any of that on this post!
I don't care if the uprights are not titanium.... It doesn't even HAVE uprights....
As for the rivit spacing, well, it doesn't have any of those pesky things either.
Now, to provide absolute and complete authenticity, I have offered a ride to Dee Andretti but she has so far, refused.
Marco is next on my list....
Posted Image

As you can see, the workmanship is incredable and the attention to detail is beyond reproach.
Posted Image

I will contact Lord March and offer (for quite a hefty sum, I believe) to drive this magnificent beast up the Hill at Goodwood, and have already spoken with the people who are now operating that event in California, (however the phone connection apparently was not very good as the line went dead after several seconds....)
But I shall not let this minor incident deter me.
REMINDER!
I do not wish to see any comments by those self aclaimed authorities on the subject of this car.

Ye Hmbl Svnt, etc. etc,. etc.

ZOOOM
Now, where do I put the smiley face.....

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 22:58

I think it's shrunk in the wash ... :p

#3 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:57

I don't know about Mario but I would have loved to have seen Ronnie in it.

#4 thatguy0101

thatguy0101

• 99 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:20

Wait'll Zooom shows you all the original documentation that Colin Chapman gave the first buyer, and the picture of Colin shaking the fellow's hand. Colin sure looks happy.

#5 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:29

Wait'll Zooom shows you all the original documentation that Colin Chapman gave the first buyer, and the picture of Colin shaking the fellow's hand. Colin sure looks happy.

Can I have a coppy of that documentation???
Zooom

#6 hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball

• 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:20

Are those wrinkley things front and side Air Bags ? Must hold HOT AIR !

#7 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 14:27

It looks very like a ride on mower to me or is it a fan car?

#8 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 14:35

With the race bodywork as well, rather than the practice bodywork

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 14:50

The large container of fluid between the front wheels must surely excite some speculation. Could this be a much earlier application of 'water-cooled brakes' than we previously knew about? Perhaps yet another innovation to be credited to Chapman/Lotus?

#10 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 15:18

Is that DFV a GX390 series?

#11 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 15:39

I love the red retractable underframe with the special rain tyres. Does this collapse into the main body of the tub at racing speeds? I just marvel at the ingenuity of the adjustable ride height.

#12 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 17:25

I love the red retractable underframe with the special rain tyres. Does this collapse into the main body of the tub at racing speeds? I just marvel at the ingenuity of the adjustable ride height.

I must do some more investigation...

#13 hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball

• 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 17:52

Large rear knerf bar, required when riding the Granny lane. :rotfl:

#14 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 18:20

As a longtime karter myself (inactive at present), and as a former race car sign painter, where is the JPS livery? :)

Enjoy, I miss kart racing! :up: :up: :up:

#15 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:56

After my wife passed away recently, I have deceided to get back into kart racing... It has only been 50 years since I last ran.
I'm finding that it's harder than I remember! I have found that I am in need of a rib protector for the first time ever....
I'm only off the track record by 1.5 seconds. Not bad for a 66 year old fart!
ZOOOM

#16 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 22:06

Must be in Monza spec with no rear wing. :cool:

#17 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 22:53

:clap: When you say ZOOM..do you mean .....
Zoom.....The Driver..
Zoom.....The Cart..
or.ZOOM....The Fart..???

#18 hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball

• 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 23:50

Good for you on taking up karting again. Hope you haven't been offended by our smartass remarks.

Just trying to keep you from gaining an F1 'attitude".

#19 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 23:56

:up: Well done, top marks ZOOOM. Best wishes with your karting.

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:49

Seen somewhere near Birmingham Alabama over the weekend I believe :-)

#21 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:57

After my wife passed away recently, I have deceided to get back into kart racing... It has only been 50 years since I last ran.
I'm finding that it's harder than I remember! I have found that I am in need of a rib protector for the first time ever....
I'm only off the track record by 1.5 seconds. Not bad for a 66 year old fart!
ZOOOM

I sure understand that, and am very sorry to hear of your wife.

So you not only own a piece of Lotus history, you also own an extremely-effective recovery tool! :up: :up: :up:

Watch those ribs.... after 18 years off myself, when I came back I was fine in a Tillet seat like yours with a Yamaha motor. When I stepped up to a 30 hp twin motor (the Biland SA250) the next year, and my new kart came with a stiffer and lower-sided Caliba seat, even with reasonable rib protectors I cracked a rib from sheer Gs on a bumpy turn. I bought a proper, wanded vest by Ribtect, and a higher-sided wraparound carbon seat from same, but had a weakened cage and suffered three more injuries throughout the year. I ran most races that year with a wanded vest, a padded vest over that, and 1" bubble wrap over those. I was in pain every time I turned the wheel, avoid at all costs. (won both Championships entered, worth the pain but....). I was 42 then.

Eight years (of no racing) later, my ribs seem permanently tenderized, not painful, just different.

Minus 1.5 sec. only, at your age and early in your return I assume, is DAMNED GOOD!

ENJOY!!! :wave: :) :wave: :) :wave: :)

Edited by E1pix, 23 May 2011 - 04:00.

#22 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:57

I wish to announce that I have recently purchased the Lotus that Mario Andretti used to capture his F1 World Championship back in 1978, the famous Lotus 79!
I have spent years searching for this fabulous machine and all my work has finally paid off. No expense has been spared.

Ehhr Zooom, sorry to say but you purchased that Tyrrell 009 in JPS livery, not a 79.

#23 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:33

That looks like a Honda GX390/340 to me, what we call a Thunderkart - or is it a Briggs Motor? Whats the technical details on it and what class does it race in?

#24 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:42

That looks like a Honda GX390/340 to me, what we call a Thunderkart - or is it a Briggs Motor? Whats the technical details on it and what class does it race in?

It is what we call in the colonies a "CLONE" kart except the local track we run on has sealed the motors and laid down a specification for this class only.
It really takes the kart out of the equasion so the driver is the real deceiding factor.
To make it more even the class has a weight minimum of 360 pounds so the 70 pound kids are made equal.
You learn early that you don't want to help some 12 year old lift his kart off the stand, they can cary as much as 120 pounds of lead ballast!
The engine is some sort of chinese copy of a honda four cycle.I could tell you what it is but I don't read chinese...
Supposed to do about 55MPH and about 1.5 G's in cornering.

And, yes, it's great therapy.

ZOOOM

#25 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:07

I love the red retractable underframe with the special rain tyres.

Which proves it's not a 79 but the first incarnation of the twin chassis 88 disguised as a 79.

#26 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:16

Which proves it's not a 79 but the first incarnation of the twin chassis 88 disguised as a 79.

I may have to reconsider the unknown history of this race car!

ZOOOM

#27 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:34

I ran most races that year with a wanded vest, a padded vest over that, and 1" bubble wrap over those.

Must have been fun hearing those bubbles pop!

#28 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:50

Must have been fun hearing those bubbles pop!

Much to my surprise, I got many heats and other sessions per wrap. Great Value per bubble! :lol: It was silly, but it sure took the pressure off ribs that were otherwise unbearable for simple breathing.

Otherwise, all I heard was that wonderful motor.... sounds like a lawn mower until on track.... I'm uploading my own helmet cam footage sometime, there's not much good sound of it on YouTube yet.

#29 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 19:25

It is what we call in the colonies a "CLONE" kart except the local track we run on has sealed the motors and laid down a specification for this class only.
It really takes the kart out of the equasion so the driver is the real deceiding factor.
To make it more even the class has a weight minimum of 360 pounds so the 70 pound kids are made equal.
You learn early that you don't want to help some 12 year old lift his kart off the stand, they can cary as much as 120 pounds of lead ballast!
The engine is some sort of chinese copy of a honda four cycle.I could tell you what it is but I don't read chinese...
Supposed to do about 55MPH and about 1.5 G's in cornering.

And, yes, it's great therapy.

ZOOOM

Interesting move by the track - and yes it does look like a Honda clone - presumably a 340 or 390, or at a push a 270. Depending on the state of tune I would say up to 20hp easily available, standard the 390 is 13 I think - Ive got 2 of the karts and 4 of the engines but nowhere to run them.

#30 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 19:50

Ehhr Zooom, sorry to say but you purchased that Tyrrell 009 in JPS livery, not a 79.

Or is it the Rebaque HR100?

#31 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:51

Or is it the Rebaque HR100?

Wouldn't that be in brown paint then? :)

#32 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:00

No, the vendor repainted the Type 79 clone in JPS colours

#33 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:53

Guess I'm unfamiliar with the Rebaque HR100.... I thought you were joking about the ex-factory Lotus that Rebaque ran in the late-70s, painted brown and not the greatest color for that car! :)

#34 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 23:56

There's a thread about the car:

The Rebaque?

and also this good article on 8W, with photo:

http://8w.forix.com/rebaque.html

#35 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 00:38

Tim:

Thank You for the great info, after reading this a few of my existing marbles recall this entire effort.

And what an effort, impossible today without so very much more money :down:

I'm curious about other details, but won't further OT ZOOOM's thread about his real Lotus.

In closing, have we concluded this kart is not the Rebaque? :)

Edited by E1pix, 24 May 2011 - 05:17.

#36 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:52

In closing, have we concluded this kart is not the Rebaque? :)

Hmmm. In the Rebaque thread above, Hector's biographer Carlos Jalife said that the car went back to Mexico. However, we have high standards here on TNF. Perhaps ZOOOM could be persuaded to do a bit of paint scratching to see what colour(s) lie under the black and gold. If any brown should appear ...

#37 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:13

Perhaps ZOOOM could be persuaded to do a bit of paint scratching to see what colour(s) lie under the black and gold. If any brown should appear ...

In the interest of accuracy, honor, and authenticity of lineage, that's just what ZOOOM should do. :cry:

You Know, to be 100% certain. We don't want another Hughes' "Revson McLaren" here, funny how brown was involved there, too.

ZOOOM?

#38 thatguy0101

thatguy0101

• 99 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 15:41

The large container of fluid between the front wheels must surely excite some speculation. Could this be a much earlier application of 'water-cooled brakes' than we previously knew about? Perhaps yet another innovation to be credited to Chapman/Lotus?

That clearly is the large single fuel tank of a true 79, IIRC a hallmark of the 79 as Lotus requested a rules change to allow it.

Edited by thatguy0101, 24 May 2011 - 15:42.

#39 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 16:38

He still hasn't provided a picture of the chassis plate. :cool:

Advertisement

#40 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 16:46

Perhaps ZOOOM could be persuaded to do a bit of paint scratching to see what colour(s) lie under the black and gold.

No problem, just wait till after the first race.

#41 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:34

This just in!
After very careful searching, for several years, I have been able recently, to re-unite the fabled Lotus 79 with the famous Lotus TRANSPORTER!
Posted Image
Notice the black color and the teltale gold pinstripeing....
It's taken me at least two weeks to complete the deal to bring these two together again...
Now I shall no longer have to resort to the use of UPS to transport my priceless vehicle to such great venues as Amelia Island!
I can transport it there myself!

ZOOOM

#42 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:04

I find it heartwarming to see such classic pieces of history presented in this manner.

I am very impressed with your Due Diligence, and wish you the best in bringing the Black & Gold back from the past.

Colin is mighty proud. :love:

#43 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:45

After very careful searching, for several years, I have been able recently, to re-unite the fabled Lotus 79 with the famous Lotus TRANSPORTER!
Posted Image

Just as I remember seeing it at Ketteringham Hall all those years ago! How exciting!

#44 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:57

This is not a perfect world we live in, and there are many cruel and heartless types lurking in the shadows always ready to ruin someone's day or life if they can, so I wonder who will be the first to shatter ZOOM's dreams and tell him the truth about his purchase?

We must all be prepared to lend a shoulder for him to cry on when the truth is revealed.

That nice
bauble.

#45 thatguy0101

thatguy0101

• 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 14:57

Bob, I've seen the paperwork and I'm sure he has the original JPS transporter.

It's going to look great in the paddock next to my Ecurie Ecosse transporter.

Posted Image

#46 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 15:08

Hi Zooom, in fact I can just envy you with such a legendary classic in your hands. Of course it has its home in the States. But do you plan to bring her to Europe? Goodwood Revival? Retromobile? Or a spin round one of the tracks it was triumphant, Zandvoort for instance?

#47 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:05

Hi Zooom, in fact I can just envy you with such a legendary classic in your hands. Of course it has its home in the States. But do you plan to bring her to Europe? Goodwood Revival? Retromobile? Or a spin round one of the tracks it was triumphant, Zandvoort for instance?

Arjan, I have already contacted Lord March to see about inclusion at Goodwood.
It was a great call, somewhat muddled because of the transatlantic connections, I'm sure. He mentioned something about a dead body but I wasn't able to asertain the full content of the statement.
I hold out high hopes of sending the car to europe, if not to Goodwood, then perhaps to the Chomondelay Pagent of Power...

ZOOOM

#48 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:08

Posted Image

That....
If I am not able to arrange transport for the Lotus Transporter for Goodwood, can I obtain space on your Ecurie Ecosse transporter for the European tour?
Kindest Regards
ZOOOM

#49 thatguy0101

thatguy0101

• 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:45

Arjan, I have already contacted Lord March to see about inclusion at Goodwood.
It was a great call, somewhat muddled because of the transatlantic connections, I'm sure. He mentioned something about a dead body but I wasn't able to asertain the full content of the statement.

That was a bridge too far. The other posters were pulling your leg about the Revival. Clearly, your 79 is out of period.

Edited by thatguy0101, 25 May 2011 - 18:14.

#50 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 17:46

Posted Image

Guy,

I don't know how to tell you this,but ......................................................