Mallory Park

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Croz

Croz

• 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:27

Hi Guy's,

Has any one got any info on the up coming VMCC FESTIVAL event in July?

I believe a host of legends are turning out for it.

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:34

Hi Graeme, your down to ride, here is a link.
http://www.vmcc.net/1000bikes/

Edited by picblanc, 25 May 2011 - 08:36.

#3 bella

bella

• 102 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 19:44

Really looking forwards to this, unquestionably the highlight of the 2011 season for me, i mean even the wife's decided to come with me .

#4 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 20:13

Really looking forwards to this, unquestionably the highlight of the 2011 season for me, i mean even the wife's decided to come with me .

How many of us are going to this event, perhaps us lesser mortals should wear a pink carnation. :) A secret message just for our lot :up:

Edited by joeninety, 27 May 2011 - 20:19.

#5 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:51

How many of us are going to this event, perhaps us lesser mortals should wear a pink carnation. :) A secret message just for our lot :up:

Hi all
I wondered if there are many on the forum who will be riding at the 1000 Bikes. I'm riding No.42 in Class B on Saturday and No.43 in Class Q and the Past Masters Honda Parade on the Sunday. If anyone would like to look me up and say hello they are more than welcome. If anyone is riding let us know your numbers and the group you're in.

Stuart

#6 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 19:43

Any update on "family" members attending this event ?

#7 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 19:47

No Freddie Spencer, sent back with Visa irregularity apparently? :(

#8 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 19:53

Mind you thats according to the MCN website! :eek:

#9 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 19:59

Mind you thats according to the MCN website! :eek:

Is MCN part of the News of the World group ?

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 20:15

No, but have been known to exagerate & tell lies (allegedly) like the Murdoch rags.

#11 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 21:07

No Freddie Spencer, sent back with Visa irregularity apparently? :(

Well, if they ask me nicely I'd love a go on Irv's old TZ750 or the CB900 superbike :wave:

#12 burton500

burton500

• 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:49

Some pics from the event http://imageshack.us...2/img0958p.jpg/

Quite a few of a friend on blue RG's nos 93 and 975 (Dave Franklyn), but others of the more established names as well.

Lee

#13 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:55

i decided at the last minute to go and it was a great weekend, kenny was brilliant as usual and mick grant wasnt hanging about either, it was great to see the nortons again and to see steve baker who definitely wasnt going slow. the guy they sent out from mcn to follow kenny was really struggling to keep up and roberts did have to slow up a couple of times.

pity freddie couldn't make it but it was good to see a few of joeys bikes also. ill see what my pics are like and if there are any good ones ill put them up.

spent a good 10 mins each with donnie and alan carter who are great guys. :up:

#14 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 14:07

Having had some mobility issues of late it was the first time I had been out really anywhere of any consequence for 9 weeks but was invited by some trader friends and though it was a bit difficult on Saturday it was easier on Sunday for me and so enjoyed it and managed to get some pics as well. :clap:

We also managed to get a recent painting signed by Kenny Roberts who seemed genuinely interested in it and it appears he dabbles a bit with the brushes. Had a chat with Ago and Aldo, Jim Redman, JC, Peter Starr and reacquainted myself with Steve Baker whom I met at Stafford in April. Really nice chap. Ferry Brouwer nodded and so did Croz but heck they were very busy.

Mick Grant was circulating quick as was Kenny, Steve, Croz and also impressed by the speed of young Freddie Sheene on an RG. Trevor Nation wheeling the Norton was impressive too. I am paying a bit for it today but it was worth it. :up:

Here are some pics that I managed to get for those interested.

https://www.facebook...100000036594686

#15 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 17:12

It was a great weekend for us mere mortals too and the weather held off until we were on the way home. So much to see and so many faces too and it was nice to meet a few of the riders I competed against walking around the paddock. One issue that dismayed me was that some well known riders chose to ignored the yellow flags going into Gerards during the Past Masters parade. There's no prize money and no pot so why do it. We all want to go home at the end of the day. Otherwise a brilliant weekend.

#16 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 17:37

Old = poor eyesight :rolleyes:

#17 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 20:37

Posted Image

Edited by joeninety, 13 July 2011 - 17:58.

#18 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:48

Old = poor eyesight :rolleyes:

Maybe they should have gone to Specsavers !

#19 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:25

Hi all
I wondered if there are many on the forum who will be riding at the 1000 Bikes. I'm riding No.42 in Class B on Saturday and No.43 in Class Q and the Past Masters Honda Parade on the Sunday. If anyone would like to look me up and say hello they are more than welcome. If anyone is riding let us know your numbers and the group you're in.

Stuart

Actually, Stuart I did see this, and I was going to make myself known to you and purchased a programme but it was all so spread out and I was restricted really on the amount of time I could spend walking around, so I had to give up on the idea quite early on not knowing where exactly you were. So sorry about that but I also was hoping to say hello to quite a lot of folk that I knew would be attending but it was not to be. :well:

Great weekend though. :up:

Edited by jaybee49, 12 July 2011 - 06:26.

Advertisement

#20 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:15

yeah it was one of those events where there was so much going on you just couldnt get round it all.

#21 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 19:28

yeah it was one of those events where there was so much going on you just couldnt get round it all.

I agree next year I'll know what to plan for, they really do need a better commentator I feel. Sorry RC162 I searched the paddock but forgot your riding number it was pure luck that I stumbled across Granty. The Sprint was totally boring to us in the hairpin area sprinting is uninteresting per say and certainly does not translate into words.

Edited by joeninety, 12 July 2011 - 20:06.

#22 bella

bella

• 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 20:19

We had a great time, a lot of good stuff going on but Grant, Roberts, Baker and the Nortons were the highlight for me.

#23 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 23:20

We had a great time, a lot of good stuff going on but Grant, Roberts, Baker and the Nortons were the highlight for me.

I'm still chuffed to bits I saw Roberts on an OW60 that sounded as sweet as a nut & going fast :D The blip on the downshift into the esses was soooo crisp, lap after lap

#24 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:30

My wife also showed KR a photo montage I knocked up from some of my images which he also liked. I went back to the paddock later to give him a copy and also something similar I did of Croz and Ago but I could only find Ago at the time. I always like to give something to him as he always is very appreciative. Saw a photo once in a French magazine of Ago in his memorabilia room with one of my images in a frame and on the wall which was nice.... :up:

Here are the KR and Croz montages. A little bit different I guess..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:46

the only bugbears i had of the event were 2 things,

steve parrish being a bit of a dorna cheerleader on saturday nights staged interviews [suppose he has a job to look after] and the very poor gate/security people who we found to be completley ignorant and very unfriendly [but i could imagine the long hours and this does not reflect on mallory park]

i found a couple of not too bad pics so ill put them up tonight :up:

#26 bella

bella

• 102 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:10

Bakers YZR 750 sounded as sweet as a nut blipping down for shaws hairpin and was a beast coming out of it, lifting up nicely when the power kicked in, Nick Jeffries was showboating good style out of there too and my wife commented on how eyecatching the Roberts colours were, to me still THE most iconic racing livery .

#27 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 14:49

Ripper sound, and a Roberts link... :drunk:

#28 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:31

a few pics and the mcn video, notice how it is severly edited for the times kr left him.

http://www.motorcycl...-of-1000-bikes/

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:51

[quote name='rd500' date='Jul 13 2011, 17:31' post='5170247']
a few pics and the mcn video, notice how it is severly edited for the times kr left him.

Yes , typical MCN , I would say :down: , wonder why they would do that ............... :rolleyes:  ;)

#30 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:21

I rather like these reminds me of when dad was racing

Posted Image
By joeninety at 2011-07-13
Posted Image

#31 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:05

[quote name='fil2.8' date='Jul 13 2011, 18:51' post='5170278']
[quote name='rd500' date='Jul 13 2011, 17:31' post='5170247']

Yes , typical MCN , I would say :down: , wonder why they would do that ............... :rolleyes:;)

'MCNs Adam Child joined "King" Kenny on track to find out if a good club racer on a new Ducati 1198 can keep up with a 59-year-old legend on a 30-year-old GP bike he hasn't ridden for decades...'

Did this guy really think that KR has to prove anything ? Wilhelm Noll told me once the reason he never took part in such kind of meetings was that there were to many idiots who wanted to prove they were the real champs by 'beating' him in a parade type event....

Edited by Rennmax, 13 July 2011 - 18:17.

#32 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:28

Did this guy really think that KR has to prove anything ? Wilhelm Noll told me once the reason he never took part in such kind of meetings was that there were to many idiots who wanted to prove they were the real champs by 'beating' him in a parade type event....

I noticed Ago, Roberts and a few others only did selected rides. Anyone take any times, Grant was around 57's. Parrish a full minute, I timed him at Cadwell once, er looked faster on TV he was lapping the same time as a 125cc Honda from 1979 ;) The scariest thing out there were the chairs look at my video the chap doing wheelies came close to getting wiped out. I'm contemplating having a go next year I have a Ukelele just need the Shuttleworth Special............;)

Edited by joeninety, 13 July 2011 - 18:32.

#33 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:44

Did this guy really think that KR has to prove anything ? Wilhelm Noll told me once the reason he never took part in such kind of meetings was that there were to many idiots who wanted to prove they were

Can you imagine the conversation? Hello I'm Mr Tosspot from M&S ... and I'm going to chase you around Mallory to see if you're still fast...
I doubt KR could keep a straight face

#34 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:52

Can you imagine the conversation? Hello I'm Mr Tosspot from M&S ... and I'm going to chase you around Mallory to see if you're still fast...
I doubt KR could keep a straight face

Never mind the target audience of knee down heroes will love it, if he can do it then the worlds my oyster an' all that :rotfl:

"MCN race of the year" cum on lads impress the birds an' get yer knee down even if the bikes almost vertical, it's a piece a piss when you know how
Posted Image
I'll hazard a guess KR knew MCN star man was close and on his case so took a safe, very safe inside tight line and tight exit, not a normal line round Shaws ? As far as hairpins go it is quite fast and smooth as hairpins go

Edited by joeninety, 13 July 2011 - 19:53.

#35 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 19:51

Never mind the target audience of knee down heroes will love it, if he can do it then the worlds my oyster an' all that :rotfl:

"MCN race of the year" cum on lads impress the birds an' get yer knee down even if the bikes almost vertical, it's piece a piss when you know how
Posted Image
I'll hazard a guess KR knew MCN star man was close and on his case so took a safe, very safe inside tight line not a normal line round Shaws ?

At 3:47 and 5:17 in your footage KR seems to make sure that he is not going to be torpedoed by the MCN guy, after that he made sure that a safety margin was between them ?

#36 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:12

At 3:47 and 5:17 in your footage KR seems to make sure that he is not going to be torpedoed by the MCN guy, after that he made sure that a safety margin was between them ?

Renn dear boy, are you saying MCN man wasn't able to keep pace with Kenny and so it was contrived in an attempt to decieve the plebs and Kenny had so much in hand he could toy with knee down man ?  ;)

#37 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:22

Renn dear boy, are you saying MCN man wasn't able to keep pace with Kenny and so it was contrived in an attempt to decieve the plebs and Kenny had so much in hand he could toy with knee down man ?  ;)

tut tut tut , surely not :rolleyes:

#38 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:29

tut tut tut , surely not :rolleyes:

Was it dear old Murray who said their are those who can talk about it and those who can do it ? "I can talk about it"

Edited by joeninety, 13 July 2011 - 20:46.

#39 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 23:27

well all i can say is theyre video is very misleading due to the editing.

it starts with kenny waving his hand which happened where i was standing, this is after about 4 or 5 laps where kenny had to slow down as the gap was growing bigger with each lap, you will notice how in this footage kenny never gets tucked in either. what i have on video and what they show is 2 diffrent things.

child was out of his depth and for a while was holding up not just kenny but baker and grant.

ill post up my video soon which is of the whole session and you will see why they have gone to such editing lengths, kr was actually faster on his own so in my opinion mcn robbed the fans of more quick laps from kr.

Advertisement

#40 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:56

Certainly not Chris :p , but in his heydays he once answered a journo who asked how to tackle corners: ' Get in deep, get out hard'

#41 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 14:34

Certainly not Chris :p , but in his heydays he once answered a journo who asked how to tackle corners: ' Get in deep, get out hard'

Doesn't he look a 'prick' on that Ducati

HW

#42 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 16:12

HW

:wave: I completely agree, but I still can't get my head around this whole story, how on earth... :confused: I guess there will be words about it in the comic.

Edited by mfd, 14 July 2011 - 16:13.

#43 twostrokesonly

twostrokesonly

• 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 18:06

Hi i was there with my ROC Yamaha YZR500 1994 other than the bike has had the original paint job re done, the bike is not restored and as is was raced, cheers

Posted Image
--
Posted Image
---
and one with my friends Harris YZR500 1992
Posted Image
--

#44 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 19:23

HW

He'd look a prick on anything, well maybe not, the Shuttleworth Special would dovetail nicely into his true speed. I do agree the whole debacle robbed us of more bona fida Kenny laps. Few more pics
Posted Image
By joeninety at 2011-07-14

Posted Image
By joeninety at 2011-07-14
I would like to thank everyone who took part, stars aside, those who participate from the heart on priceless, to them, bikes of all ages. I was impressed by the guy on a belt driven contraption, unfortunately the belt gave way in the end. Magicial stuff and long live the event.....

Edited by joeninety, 14 July 2011 - 19:24.

#45 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 19:39

I would like to thank everyone who took part, stars aside, those who participate from the heart on priceless, to them, bikes of all ages. I was impressed by the guy on a belt driven contraption, unfortunately the belt gave way in the end. Magicial stuff and long live the event.....

I was just about to type something similar but considerably less eloquent, thanks Joe90 :wave:

A fabulous day out for me, haven't been to a race meeting for some years now due to constraints on my time, but it was nice to be transported back to my young, free and single days again. Rode home with a thumping headache and two-stroke/R in my nostrils.

I met up with an old friend at the hairpin and we were swapping 'I was there' stories all afternoon. I told him about watching the ROTY 1971 and seeing Cooper beat Ago, still fresh in my mind. But 1971 is just a date - I didn't need the commentator saying it was forty years ago :eek:

Fabulous to see Baker, Grant, Croz and Nation et al really going for it - we were both a little disappointed in KR but the previous posts here explain a lot. Sammy Miller's Gilera sounded gorgeous. If I could have picked one bike to ride home I reckon it would be Kork's for rarity value and it just looks so 'right' to me ...

Posted Image

... did sound like it was only on two coming out of the hairpin though.

Thanks again to all those who take the trouble of keeping these wonderful old bikes going and sharing them with us.

#46 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 19:53

Hi i was there with my ROC Yamaha YZR500 1994 other than the bike has had the original paint job re done, the bike is not restored and as is was raced, cheers

Posted Image
--
--

Very nice , thanks for sharing it with us :love: :up:

#47 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:24

If I could have picked one bike to ride home I reckon it would be Kork's for rarity value and it just looks so 'right' to me ...

Posted Image

A genuine frontbrake instead of the Yamaha stopper would make the bike look even better

#48 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 19:19

Did anyone notice I think was a Jim Lee Goldstar, I caught a fleeting glance on track but wasn't going back to the paddock. the queue later on was enormous.

#49 twostrokesonly

twostrokesonly

• 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:41

Very nice , thanks for sharing it with us

Thanks, I know before I managed to get one that it was always difficult to see pure thoroughbred race bikes, I was begining to wonder if the audience was slightly to old for this period,
I am glad you enjoyed them,

If you especially like race 2 strokes have a look at
www.NorthAmericanTwoStrokes.com,
Don hosts a great site,

cheers

#50 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:32

Did anyone notice I think was a Jim Lee Goldstar, I caught a fleeting glance on track but wasn't going back to the paddock. the queue later on was enormous.

That would be right. Gary Hoyle told me he was going to be there with his Jim Lee framed Goldie.