Photo

Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#1 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:59

I am lucky enough to be getting to the Goodwood Festival for the first time this year. Staying at the Old Mill with the Indy Boys. Arriving Gatwick (presumably) and wondering about a travel plan from there. Hire car? Should I buy tickets first and what should I see?

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:26

It's vital that you buy your tickets in advance, or you won't get in. If you fancy mainly pottering around the paddocks, then a basic admission ticket will be enough. If your main aim is to see the cars go up the hill - and bear in mind that most of them these days just cruise - then consider investing extra in a grandstand seat. If you're planning to go on more than one day, perhaps get a grandstand seat for just one day. Whatever, leave yourself plenty of time for paddock pottering - it's the best bit IMHO. Do also try to get along to one of the TNF gatherings, they're usually on at lunchtimes adjacent to one of the bars - we'll look forward to meeting you. :wave:

Edited by Tim Murray, 26 May 2011 - 10:51.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 17:38

Arrive early. The crowds get bigger, earlier, each year.
Roger Lund

#4 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 18:26

Plan to go up the hill and watch the rally cars close up ... and be prepared for expensive catering !

#5 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:17

XJ13V12, please come say hello at our pit space. :)

#6 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:46

XJ13V12, please come say hello at our pit space. :)

I certainly will if I make it. Thank you for the tips which I will enact if possible - however -
I have somehow managed to book accommodation for the wrong weekend at the Millstream. I may not be able to alter this part of my trip due to other commitments already booked in France. Next time I will make Goodwood and racing the main focus of the trip instead of a diversion. I can't believe I am missing being able to race at Silverstone G.P. and Brands Hatch when I am in Europe. For that matter why don't I have a car at Laguna Seca and why did I have a car at Indy without me????? Something has gone horribly wrong.

#7 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:45

Because the crowds get worse and worse each year, I shall miss the FoS again. I enjoyed the first four years butfor me the masses, just like the January Sales, spoiled it for me. Same reason I won't go to the Chelsea Flower Show. When I did go, I always rode there on my motorbike. I wouldn't dream of struggling to get a car in there. Sorry if this sounds a tad down in the mouth, but the paddock was easily the best part and listening to those works Honda GP bikes being started and warmed up was music to my ears (hence the tinitus).

#8 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:21

The worst for us are the local drivers unable to negotiate the (many) roundabouts on the highways around Chichester without blocking traffic for hours... Even the French do a better job.
Can someone tell them that panic is not going to cut it? :)

#9 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:34

It's vital that you buy your tickets in advance, or you won't get in. If you fancy mainly pottering around the paddocks, then a basic admission ticket will be enough. If your main aim is to see the cars go up the hill - and bear in mind that most of them these days just cruise - then consider investing extra in a grandstand seat. If you're planning to go on more than one day, perhaps get a grandstand seat for just one day. Whatever, leave yourself plenty of time for paddock pottering - it's the best bit IMHO. Do also try to get along to one of the TNF gatherings, they're usually on at lunchtimes adjacent to one of the bars - we'll look forward to meeting you. :wave:

OK TNFers. I am booked in with tickets and accommodation with only land/air transport to be finalised, at least 10% there. Not sure I want to be part of any club that would have me as a member but there you have it. I will have Monday free so any recommendations for activities before flying back to France welcome.
Big might here with Monaco and Indy happening and Ozzies primed to perform well.

#10 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:16

We usually meet Friday lunchtime - it's very unlikely you'll catch anyone Monday as we've all headed home or en route home then :)

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:42

OK TNFers. I am booked in with tickets and accommodation with only land/air transport to be finalised, at least 10% there. Not sure I want to be part of any club that would have me as a member but there you have it. I will have Monday free so any recommendations for activities before flying back to France welcome.
Big might here with Monaco and Indy happening and Ozzies primed to perform well.

Assuming you're not sated with old racing cars, how about a day at Brooklands? (It has planes as well.)

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

Plus Mercedes Benz World is right next door:

http://www2.mercedes...Brooklands.html

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 15:42

It's next weekend! :up:

Who's going? :clap:

Who fancies meeting up? :wave:

When?
It's usually been Friday 1pm but should we add Saturday and Sunday at 1pm to accommodate those who can't make Friday?

Where?
It used to be Ted Walker's Ferret Fotographics stand but then he got priced out :down:, so we changed to the start line bar (to the right as you look at it). Anybody got a better idea?

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 16:17

I'll be there on Friday, and am happy to go with 1 pm at the startline bar unless, as Duncan says, there are better ideas. :wave:

#14 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 17:27

I'm there Thurs till Sunday, and am happy with our usual Friday 1pm meet up :)
If anyone else is going Thursday as well...then happy to meet up with them lunchtime too :)
Committed to working Sat and Sun afternoons, so can't do then :wave:

#15 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 18:00

I'll be going on Thursday to beat the rush, well that's the plan anyone for meeting at Startline bar 1 pm on Thursday ?

T 54 I hope to find you in the morning :up:

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 21:34

I see that 'Old Nail' is being offered by the Marshall family in Bonhams' sale. Other than that and the Ex-Bill Summers MG, not much with any racing pedigree.

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 22:28

Bjorn might find Lot 465 quite interesting :cat:

#18 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:35

:wave: OK Mr Tim Murray and you other T.F.N.ers,,We are relying on you guys (people ) to keep us informed
on what you see and get exited about..Cars.Bikes. Incidents ,even Celebrities.. All photos welcome..

#19 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:14

Bill Sadler told me he will be at The Festival. He is currently in England helping to restore the Sadler Mk II of Julian Mazjub. Mazjub also recently purchased the Sadler Mk V, so now has three Sadlers.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 26 June 2011 - 06:26.

Advertisement

#20 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:13

Im wondering around on Thursday as well. Ill try and remember 1pm

#21 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:02

:wave: OK Mr Tim Murray and you other T.F.N.ers,,We are relying on you guys (people ) to keep us informed
on what you see and get exited about..Cars.Bikes. Incidents ,even Celebrities.. All photos welcome..

Watch this space, Ron. If previous years are anything to go by, there will be dozens of great photos, mostly taken by far better photographers than me, and probably a few shots of TNFers at the various gatherings, so you'll be able to match a few faces to names. :wave:

#22 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:21

:wave: GOOD Stuff Tim. What day are you heading to Goodwood..?? Not Wednesday I hope.!

#23 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:40

No, I shall be ready and waiting to attend to 'important business'  ;) on Wednesday. Goodwood will be a day trip on Friday.

#24 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 14:44

I will be there Friday - not sure of my plans that day though.

By the way, is anybody else having trouble getting on the pdf file for confirmed drivers attending this years event - all I get is "file is damaged" with no recourse as to seeing the full list.

#25 Aykay

Aykay

• 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:04

I had the same trouble. You may need an update of Adobe Acrobat it solved the problem for me.

#26 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:56

By the way, is anybody else having trouble getting on the pdf file for confirmed drivers attending this years event - all I get is "file is damaged" with no recourse as to seeing the full list.

http://www.goodwood....june-2011-3.pdf

#27 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:06

For those not attending in person SkySports3 has a 'live' broadcast next Sunday 15:00 to 17:00.
Probably only modern F1 and celebrity stuff.. but we can hope for better.

Rob

#28 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:53

For those not attending in person SkySports3 has a 'live' broadcast next Sunday 15:00 to 17:00.
Probably only modern F1 and celebrity stuff.. but we can hope for better.

Rob

Also on the same channel from 1900-2100, but probably a straight repeat. They describe it as "A celebration of motorsport at Goodwood. With the industry's meanest machines, accompanied by Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Sterling Moss and Jackie Stewart." Oh dear ...

The typo is emphatically not mine.

One hopes that this year they get somebody other than Keith Huewen to front it: he was awful last year and we had the strange situation of him talking to Lewis while bikes were going up the hill and Ant and Crofty trying valiantly to commentate on them - having admitted it was a subject about which they knew next to nothing.

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 15:47

I'll wait for the dvd, as usual.

#30 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:26

Cheers for the link, Tony but it leads to the same problem. Would anyone be willing to screenprint it or send a list as I can't seem to get an upgrade on my (quite old) PC for Adobe Acrobat?

#31 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:52

Cheers for the link, Tony but it leads to the same problem. Would anyone be willing to screenprint it or send a list as I can't seem to get an upgrade on my (quite old) PC for Adobe Acrobat?

I was just about to email it to you but realised I've lost your email! :lol:

edit: got it off your Facebook page! Sent.

Of course you could just dump Acrobat and use a decent pdf reader like Foxit :p

Edited by Vitesse2, 27 June 2011 - 20:50.

#32 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:57

Ooh is my email on my Facebook page? Not sure it should be?

Anyway, thanks Richard and Adam for coming to my rescue... my heroes!

#33 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:15

If anybody has a late opportunity to go tomorrow, Friday, and hasn't got a ticket, I have one spare one for free - p.m. me if interested.

Weather forecast is good, so I'll be there early.

Paul M

#34 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:33

Bill Sadler told me he will be at The Festival. He is currently in England helping to restore the Sadler Mk II of Julian Mazjub. Mazjub also recently purchased the Sadler Mk V, so now has three Sadlers.

Vince H.

Why does my blood run cold when I hear of an original builder getting involved after 50 plus years-Oh I remember its because they can never believe the mistakes they made 50 years ago,go into denial and we end up with a totally different car.

Edited by Red Socks, 30 June 2011 - 17:13.

#35 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 14:01

Why does my blood run cold when I hear of an original builder getting involved after 50 plus years-Oh I remeber its because they can never believe the mistakes they made 50 years ago,go into denial and we end up with a totally different car.

Bill Sadler told me they will be restoring the Mk II to original specs.

This from Bill Sadler:

"...We have just returned from Dijon, France where Julian came in second overall
with the Sadler MKIII.

We are leaving this afternoon (Thursday) to take Julian's 1916 Sunbeam Indy
Car to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, since they are celebrating the 100th
year of Indy.

He will not be running the Sadler there, but will be running it at the
Goodwood Vintage Race Meeting in September..."

Please drop by and say hi to Bill.

Vince H.

#36 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 18:03

Here's what you can expect to see this year in front of Goodwood House:
http://www.independe...?action=Gallery

#37 zold

zold

• 308 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 18:53

Here's what you can expect to see this year in front of Goodwood House:
http://www.independe...?action=Gallery

Not sure about that sculpture. looks like a few big straws glued together.
I hope everyone enjoys the weekend though, it looks like a cracker this year! :wave:

#38 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 20:41

I made the mistake of going on crutches. I'll rephrase that. I, being on crutches, made the mistake of going. We were cheerfully directed to the disabled car park. We saw the courtesy car park buses - charabanc-style trailers pulled by tractors, all same the Revival except that these are modern rather than period tractors. They do not visit the Disabled car park – only the regular car parks. In any case they deposit passengers not at the Festival entrance, but at the entrance to the Disney-style meandering walkway to the entrance. It must be half-a-mile from there to the actual entrance to the Festival – a tough push on crutches over grass, uneven ground, stony paths and metal walkway.. Despite advertisements for mobility assistance, Information (this was fairly early on Preview day, so hardly post rush-hour) informed a colleague, also on crutches, that all wheel chairs and available mobility scooters had already gone. We staggered on, past and round the entrance to the Moving Motor Show and eventually found a way through. The only way across the track (Lord March’s driveway) was a multi-step bridge. A nice man with a radio informed us that there was a level crossing for The Disabled about 300 yards ‘that way…’ down at the Start line. There was and we were duly allowed to swing across. More grass, more obstacles. There was a Disabled Viewing Platform, with wheelchair signs. Not a single chair or place to rest. Don’t people in wheelchairs have carers? Not everyone who is 'Disabled'is in a wheeled chair.

I could go one, but won’t. Suffice to say that not for nothing is it called the Festival of Speed. Don’t go near the place if you have the slightest mobility issue. The so-called Disabled Access is a bad joke.

Edited by Mal9444, 30 June 2011 - 20:43.

#39 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 20:43

Hope the crutches are temporary, Malcolm.

Advertisement

#40 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 21:56

Hope the crutches are temporary, Malcolm.

Mercifully yes, Barry (and thank you for asking). Leg in plaster for 8 weeks due to torn Achilles tendon - but this was a most salutary lesson on what we so easily take for granted. Clearly, no one within the Festival organisation got a real (or even temporary) disabled person to test-drive the facilities. When one comes across them, empty token gestures make one more angry than no gestures at all.

(I went to a small, privately-run hotel a couple of weekends ago for a stay not at all conected with motor sport. On hearing of my crutches they very kindly gave me their newly converted 'Disabled suite'.
"Where is it?" says I. "First door on your left at the top of the stairs" says the receptionist. I, being Irish, laughed. She wondered why.)

Edited by Mal9444, 30 June 2011 - 22:07.

#41 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 15:55

I made the mistake of going on crutches. I'll rephrase that. I, being on crutches, made the mistake of going. We were cheerfully directed to the disabled car park. We saw the courtesy car park buses - charabanc-style trailers pulled by tractors, all same the Revival except that these are modern rather than period tractors. They do not visit the Disabled car park – only the regular car parks. In any case they deposit passengers not at the Festival entrance, but at the entrance to the Disney-style meandering walkway to the entrance. It must be half-a-mile from there to the actual entrance to the Festival – a tough push on crutches over grass, uneven ground, stony paths and metal walkway.. Despite advertisements for mobility assistance, Information (this was fairly early on Preview day, so hardly post rush-hour) informed a colleague, also on crutches, that all wheel chairs and available mobility scooters had already gone. We staggered on, past and round the entrance to the Moving Motor Show and eventually found a way through. The only way across the track (Lord March’s driveway) was a multi-step bridge. A nice man with a radio informed us that there was a level crossing for The Disabled about 300 yards ‘that way…’ down at the Start line. There was and we were duly allowed to swing across. More grass, more obstacles. There was a Disabled Viewing Platform, with wheelchair signs. Not a single chair or place to rest. Don’t people in wheelchairs have carers? Not everyone who is 'Disabled'is in a wheeled chair.

I could go one, but won’t. Suffice to say that not for nothing is it called the Festival of Speed. Don’t go near the place if you have the slightest mobility issue. The so-called Disabled Access is a bad joke.

Last year there were a number of four wheel drive vehicles driven by very nice ladies who provided transport from the disabled car park up to the trade display area. They were also on hand at the end of the day for return journey's.

#42 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 16:58

Last year there were a number of four wheel drive vehicles driven by very nice ladies who provided transport from the disabled car park up to the trade display area. They were also on hand at the end of the day for return journey's.

There was none in evidence anywhere near the Disabled Car Park on Preview day, nor did any of the car park staff we asked know anything about such arrangements. Nor did anyone in orange overalls brandishing a radio. We saw a number of buggies but those whose drivers deigned even to stop when asked were all on important missions such as ferrying members of the press and unable to help.

We did at last find a helpful and very courteous 'Goodwood Control Officer' (aka man in suit with radio) down by the Startline Cafe who after consultation with Central Control said they were unable to help within the site but if we could get ourselves to Gate 1 a courtesy car could take us to the Disabled Car Park. We did, and it did.

A friend who is still a GRRC member consulted that website that evening and informed me that if I had thought ahead I could have hired a mobility scooter from Lord March. £145 per day, plus an extra £40 per day for the able-bodied passenger.

#43 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 18:04

I have just received late invitation to attend on Sunday and would be pleased to meet any TNFers, are there any gatherings planned?

#44 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 00:15

For those whom the expense, distance, inconvenience or disabled facilities are obstacles too great here are some pics from Thursday

Posted Image

Always wondered what 175 tonnes of macaroni would look like :rolleyes:

Posted Image

1956 Le Mans XK140, Roger Walshaw and Peter Bolton, DNF

Posted Image

Jaguar Test Driver Norman Dewis (extreme right looking into camera)

Posted Image

TNFer T54 and his wife Kathryn brought their Cooper T54 with them, it was a pleasure to meet them :wave:

Posted Image

Scott Dixon was due to drive the Dayton Steel Foundry Special that Juan Fangio failed to qualify at Indy in 1958.

Posted Image

1952 Ferrari 375 'Grant King Piston Ring Special' being given the once over by two Ferrari technicians with 23 years experience at Maranello between them.

Posted Image

Richard Attwood steps over the front wheel of a BRM 261 parked next to the 1961 Ferguson P99.

Posted Image

Est-ce une voiture de course?

Posted Image

Jankowitz Special "Ce n'est pas une voiture de course?"

#45 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:21

Another excellent day yesterday was spoiled when I rejoined my friends at the end of the day to learn that one of them had been taken to hospital when the rather Heath Robinson device being used to start the S74 Fiat had disintegrated and a bar several feet long had flown through the air, striking her on the head in passing. She was released after checks and is now recovering at home.

A few of my photos to be going on with until the proper Friday photographers get here:

Peugeot L45
Posted Image

Protos chassis
Posted Image

Lohner-Porsche
Posted Image

As part of my fascination with all things AU, I’m proud and honoured that just before I took this shot it ran over my big toe – driven by Nick Mason, no less. (This could explain why I failed to frame the shot properly :blush: ) The chap in the white jacket pushing the car is Jochen Mass.
Posted Image

Finally, it was a great pleasure to meet the very nice ‘T54s’.
Posted Image

Edited by Tim Murray, 02 July 2011 - 09:49.

#46 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:36

Sorry to hear about the S74 incident Tim hope your friend and your toe (!) make swift recoveries.

#47 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:42

I had a trade stand at the FOS from the 2nd event through to 2005ish when increasing cost v. diminishing returns from any event of this type and Goodwood's continually increasing petty bureaucracy finally got the better of me. (Knowing your interest in models Malcolm, we've probably met). The last year I was there we were close to the fence beyond which lay the disabled car park. Mobility scooters were available for hire in the car park. The car park was on rising fairly rough ground so to get from your car to the entrance meant walking down a steepish, rough track difficult enough for anyone on crutches, hazardous for a mobility scooter or wheelchair yet totally unecessary had anyone had the common sense to have put a gate in the fence at the top of the area.Despite our own and various other traders attempts to get the message across to the organisers it was not until the second day that something was done.

Somebody said to me once "Goodwood is organised by people who are fully aware of the importance of the event, what they don't know is why it's important". The problem we found as traders and I guess the same applied in other areas was that they were constantly re-inventing the wheel. Staff changed from year to year so a solution to a problem found one year probably wouldn't be carried forward to the next.

Edited by RCH, 02 July 2011 - 09:44.

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:42

Great to see so many TNFers at Goodwood on a glorious summer's day yesterday. Incidents meant that the ontrack action fell hours behind programme (Derek Bell told me he'd been sat in his car for almost 3 hours!), but it was a most enjoyable day. A few images.....

My star of the show, Dan Wheldon

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-07-02

The Protos

Posted Image

The Hurst Floor Shifter Special

Posted Image

Paul van Doorne & the Tecno-Daf Variomatic F3

Posted Image

TNFer Roger Wills' GT40

Posted Image

The Chapparal 2J

Posted Image

Edited by Giraffe, 02 July 2011 - 10:44.

#49 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:10

An appreciative thank you for all those photos, being as I didn't get to see anything - but let's not go back there again :)

I am sure we did meet, unknowingly, RCH. Unfortunately I have lost my TNF badge, so efficiently produced by Barry B so ineveitably travel TNF-incognito at both FOS and revival. I did get to look around some of the stalls this year and the model pickings were fairly thin.

And likewsie sorry to hear about the accident to the lady hit on the head.

#50 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:11

I decided to give the FoS a miss this year, to avoid becoming a bit underwhelmed by seeing the same spectacular cars year after year - but after looking at some of these pics, I'm now starting to kick myself :) . The Lohner-Porsche (did it run?) and Chaparral 2J ("Oh, that sucker!") in particular seem to make this a stand-out year. Hey ho, can't get it right every time, though some of the time would be good. Have fun chaps.