Photo

NASCAR Memorial Day weekend races including Kimi Raikkonen's Nationwide debut

• Please log in to reply
595 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:35

OK guys there should have been a thread earlier but here we are. Kimi's been practicing well in the #87 and of course the longest race in NASCAR (600 miles) is on Sunday evening after the Indy 500.

Jayski: http://jayski.com/ne...tory?id=6142711

Tune in sched: http://www.nascar.com/races/tune_in/

Let's get this started.

Advertisement

#2 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:38

There may be the possibility of listening to driver radios on Sunday:

http://nationwide.na...eries/trackpass

#3 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:41

Holy crap! Andy Lally pulls a Kimi saving the 71 when a tyre went down during his qualifying run

#4 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,710 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:44

Olb im a bit confused,is the race sat or sun?

#5 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 925 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:45

Before we get flooded with is "Kimi gonna make the race" comments, let's settle it.

YES

He's got a guaranteed starting position due to car owner points. The race is on Saturday at 2pmEST so plan accordingly. I believe the race is on ABC in the US. For Europe, I have no idea but I'm sure the internet will provide you with a method of viewing ;)

To clairfy again:

Nationwide Race (the one Kimi is in) is Saturday

The Cup Race is on Sunday

Edited by nosaj100, 27 May 2011 - 23:52.

#6 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,710 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:48

So the race starts at 7pm uk?

#7 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 00:54

So the race starts at 7pm uk?

Yes. Here's a handy link for everyone else. Choose U.S.A. - North Carolina - Raleigh in the top location menu and 2 p.m. in hour menu, then your own country and city in the bottom one. (The race is May 28, but you shouldn't have to set the day to get the correct conversion.)

http://www.timeandda.../converter.html

#8 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:03

I think coverage starts at 2pm and green flag is around 2:45 pm.

#9 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:09

I think coverage starts at 2pm and green flag is around 2:45 pm.

Ah yeah - this. Speaking of speaking imprecisely, the pre-race show starts at 2 p.m.

#10 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:12

Juan qualifies 29th, he has been running like crap lately. No Chase for him.

Edited by Watkins74, 27 May 2011 - 12:12.

#11 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:14

Eh, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Longest race this year, thus the race where qualifying matters least.

#12 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:17

Eh, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Longest race this year, thus the race where qualifying matters least.

More opportunity for him to run into someone.

Seriously OLB, do you predict he will make the Chase. A simple yes or no please. :)

#13 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:47

Seriously OLB, do you predict he will make the Chase. A simple yes or no please. :)

For sure it's difficult right now to predict confidently what are the chances of Juan making the Chase this year.

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,715 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:56

There may be the possibility of listening to driver radios on Sunday:

http://nationwide.na...eries/trackpass

Go ahead and confuse the lil' buggers some more why dont'cha :lol:
SATURDAY..Nationwide track pass audio is indeed free so sign up, click the 87 Joe Need-a-check box and listen to dead air for 2 hours :lol:

Sorry for the sarcasm..can't resist.
Jp

#15 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:59

You would be able to listen to Kimi's radio?

#16 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:02

I think jp is riffing on Kimi's known tendency to be taciturn.

Also maybe the "don't talk to me while I am in the corner" thing.

I dunno, jp's humor is hard to get even for me sometimes.

#17 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:06

I think jp is riffing on Kimi's known tendency to be taciturn.

Also maybe the "don't talk to me while I am in the corner" thing.

I dunno, jp's humor is hard to get even for me sometimes.

I think jp is also joking on how you said trackpass might be free on SUNDAY and then provided a link for SATURDAYS race.

.....or maybe I missed his point entirely. :smoking:

Edited by Watkins74, 27 May 2011 - 13:06.

#18 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:10

Go ahead and confuse the lil' buggers some more why dont'cha :lol:
SATURDAY..Nationwide track pass audio is indeed free so sign up, click the 87 Joe Need-a-check box and listen to dead air for 2 hours :lol:

Sorry for the sarcasm..can't resist.
Jp

Actually Kimi's tendency to chit-chat too much during the race last weekend caused him to miss one of his pitstops. So what might have been sarcastic on most occasions isn't quite that this time around.  ;)

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,715 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:11

Nobody is missing nothing.
You both are right on the money...
Jp

PS..YES intelligentsia you should indeed be able to listen to Kimi's radio that way

Advertisement

#20 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:19

Hmm okay I am a bit confused now. :drunk:

#21 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:39

Nobody is missing nothing.
You both are right on the money...
Jp

PS..YES intelligentsia you should indeed be able to listen to Kimi's radio that way

Thanks! :cool:

For the race I saw some people say that they were impressed with all of the feedback and observation that Kimi was giving (and apparently you could even understand him) so I would like to listen for myself. :)

#22 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 13:50

For sure it's difficult right now to predict confidently what are the chances of Juan making the Chase this year.

F1 speak much :p

JPM's form of late has been awful, after such an amazing start it's disappointing. As a driver ive not noticed a huge improvement from 2009 to now. As a team, I believe they have, but it's time for JPM to step it up abit I think.

#23 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:16

F1 speak much :p

JPM's form of late has been awful, after such an amazing start it's disappointing. As a driver ive not noticed a huge improvement from 2009 to now. As a team, I believe they have, but it's time for JPM to step it up abit I think.

I think that team is as good as it's gonna get, at the end of the day, Gannassi runs a customer car outfit and there is not a tremendous amount of old school talent behind the pit wall there. He's running DEI chassis and Childress engines. It's nowhere near a top flight NASCAR team such as Rousch, Hendrick, Gibbs or Childress. And it probably never will be no matter who's at the wheel.

#24 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:23

Is it really necessary to have 4th (!) thread opened here that covers basically the same topic?
Kimi thread or Kimi to NASCAR thread are perfectly valid places for this discussion.

#25 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:34

Oh yes! Let’s discuss Juan Pablo Montoya racing form and his results in qualifying in the Kimi Rally thread, it is definitively the most appropriate thread.

#26 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:35

Oh yes! Let’s discuss Juan Pablo Montoya racing form and his results in qualifying in the Kimi Rally thread, it is definitively the most appropriate thread.

:lol:

#27 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:03

Is it really necessary to have 4th (!) thread opened here that covers basically the same topic?
Kimi thread or Kimi to NASCAR thread are perfectly valid places for this discussion.

We have a new topic here for every NASCAR weekend.

It doesnt matter if Kimi, Elvis or God himself is running in the race.

#28 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:24

There is a thread every weekend that covers all NASCAR events of that weekend, up to three races (Trucks, Nationwide, and Cup). This is the thread for this weekend. Since the race that Kimi is going to be in is covered in this thread, and that's by far the biggest news of the weekend, that's in the title.

#29 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:36

jpm isnt doing that great, but neither is his team mate

#30 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:21

Don't know what you mean here?

Very difficult but it can happen.

Edited by DLaw, 27 May 2011 - 16:22.

#31 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:34

What are you going on about? :confused:

edit: Ahh sarcasm, OK that explains it. I didn't backtrack far enough. My apologies to "artista"

Edited by Watkins74, 27 May 2011 - 16:57.

#32 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:44

Post # 24

#33 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:32

Is there qualifying tonight? If so, what time CET?

#34 Yolandy

Yolandy

• 168 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:36

Is there qualifying tonight? If so, what time CET?

NNS race will be EST(GMT -5) 10am Sat, which should be CET (GMT +1) 16:00 SAT, if my calculation doesn't mess up again...

#35 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:39

, and that's by far the biggest news of the weekend, .

I assume you mean biggest news occuring at this weekends event - as opposed to biggest motorsport news anywhere (Monaco GP might actually rank a little higher  ;) ) ?

#36 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:42

I assume you mean biggest news occuring at this weekends event - as opposed to biggest motorsport news anywhere (Monaco GP might actually rank a little higher ;) ) ?

Monaco GP? Don't you mean the Indy 500 centennial? ;)

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,715 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 21:54

Absolutely Ktsayshi.
Jp

#38 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:44

Hey all. I see Stenhouse did a good job in the woods car.

Driver averages for Charlotte : http://www.driverave...p?trk_id=13#all

JPM tweeted that he was disappointed with the pace of the car and said he needs it to get quicker, fast!

#39 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:46

edit: Ahh sarcasm, OK that explains it. I didn't backtrack far enough. My apologies to "artista"

:lol: Watkins, maybe I'm nuts but, really, not thaaaat much.
Apologies acepted, of course :up:

Advertisement

#40 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:31

Just a reminder, Nationwide qualifying follows Monaco qualifying directly.

#41 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:36

Just a reminder, Nationwide qualifying follows Monaco qualifying directly.

Excellent, Thanks for the heads up :up:

#42 Yolandy

Yolandy

• 168 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 13:43

Any stream...?

#43 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 13:50

Any stream...?

#44 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:01

JTV is up.

#45 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:02

Dont post the links.

#46 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:07

What's going on with Kimi and Busch? Did they just say that Kimi hasn't brought any more money so he might not be racing again?

#47 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:10

What's going on with Kimi and Busch? Did they just say that Kimi hasn't brought any more money so he might not be racing again?

He might not be doing anymore truck races, but I have a feeling we will see Kimi in Cup car.

#48 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:10

For those who don't know nascar.com too well, the live timing for qualy is here:
http://www.nascar.co...aderboard/qual/

#49 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:28

Raikkonen and Busch to Part Ways?
27 May 2011

Kyle Busch may have been looking at Kimi Raikkonen as a way of expanding the Truck Series team he owns, but Kimi's ambitions are taking him in other directions.

When Kimi Raikkonen announced that he was going to try his hand at NASCAR, it seemed only right that he would pair with Kyle Busch Motorsports: who else but the Wild Thing would dare something as audacious as teaming up with the Iceman to bring a former F1 world champion to the States?

But despite a solid début with the team in the Truck Series race at Charlotte last week that saw him finish in 15th place and on the lead lap, plus KBM arranging an alliance with Joe Nemechek's NEMCO Motorsports to put Kimi in a Nationwide car this weekend, it seems that the budding alliance between Busch and Raikkonen may already have run its course.

The original plan had suggested up to five Truck races with KBM this year, with Raikkonen investing a chunk of his own change into the endeavour as well as bringing some big name, high value personal sponsors with him. But according to Busch, the money's not coming through as planned.

"What's changed is the payment schedule," Busch said. "The contract states we're supposed to receive so much, and we have not. We've only received enough for these two races.

"It's either up to Kimi or to the financial people that run Kimi's business side of things and decide they need to find the sponsorship funds in order to carry the experience for him further."

Rather than a lack of money, it's probably more a case of Kimi having to decide exactly what he wants to do next. Five Truck races might have seemed like a grand plan back when he started his Great American Adventure back in March, but now staying in trucks seems a little ... dull, especially to a former world champion who just wants to have some fun.

If Kimi decided he'd rather race in Nationwide - let alone Sprint Cup - instead of "wasting his time" down in Trucks, then he would have immediately outgrown KBM. Busch's team is an exclusively Truck Series operation at present, although it had eyes on expanding into Nationwide in due course - perhaps via tracking a more measured career progression for Raikkonen

For that reason, extending himself to put Raikkonen into Joe Nemechek's #87 in the Nationwide Series just about fitted Busch's plans, albeit at a stretch. What doesn't fit in at all is Raikkonen eyeing up a Sprint Cup ride.

"It would be nice to go and do it, but I don't know if it's going to happen or not," said Raikkonen, talking about the possibility of running the June 26 Sprint Cup Sonoma road race.

"As far as the Sonoma race, we've had no discussions about Cup stuff at all," said Busch, succinctly. "As far as I know, this weekend is the last hoorah with Kimi unless he wants to come back to do further races in NASCAR."

Raikkonen tried out a Sprint Cup ride on Tuesday on the road course at Virginia International Roadway commonly used by Sprint Cup drivers to repare for Sonoma events. Kimi got the loan of the Robby Gordon Motorsports #7 for the day, but it did not go well.

"Obviously it's what our goal was, to have a good test and see how it went," Gordon said. "Unfortunately, the test went bad." Raikkonen ran off road and severely damaged the nose of the car, resulting in an estimated two weeks' worth of damage. "That was the car that finished second last year at Sonoma. So that was our primary. We've got our work cut out for us."

Did the experience sour Kimi's taste for further NASCAR adventures? Despite the cost and inconvenience for Robby Gordon, he's still open to taking discussions with Raikkonen further, if the Finn is so inclined: "That doesn't mean we wouldn't do it still," said Gordon.

Raikkonen certainly has no shortage of opportunities in NASCAR if he wants to take them up. His initial hook-up with Kyle Busch has given him an entrée into the NASCAR scene and set him up with connections with Nemechek and Robby Gordon if he wants to pursue them. His track outings even caught the eye of the NASCAR man of the moment, Carl Edwards, who was on track for Raikkonen's Nationwide practice session début

"Who is that in the #87?" he enquired over the radio, suddenly aware of an unfamiliar driving style. "He was driving the wheels off it ... Then I saw Perky Jerky on it. He definitely has some car control for sure. That's not lip service."

So the doors to NASCAR are open - or at least ajar - for Kimi Raikkonen; but perhaps NASCAR isn't falling over itself to usher him in to quite the extent that Kimi hoped and expected? Or perhaps it's just not proving as much fun as he hoped it would be.

Either way, Kimi Raikkonen will return to Europe next week to consider his next move - whether to carry on the appearances with (and payments to) Kyle Busch Motorsports for some more Truck outings, or more likely whether to pursue something in Sprint Cup or Nationwide. Or maybe, nothing at all; maybe the land of the Perky Jerky just isn't to his taste after all.

Raikkonen's US manager Todd Hirschfeld put it best and most accurately earlier this week, when he said: "This is the truth: Kimi does what Kimi wants to do."

http://www.crash.net..._part_ways.html

#50 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:30

That wasnt that bad...4th place currently.

Brushed a wall in the first lap.