• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:53

Physics and force feedback. Any good?

Advertisement

#2 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:17

Just got this today... having a great time on it.

The Force Feedback is as good as any other Codemasters title, and the adjustability is still there.

Physics? I think there's a definite improvement from Dirt 2, but it's not a full simulation physics engine. It's high-end enough to give you a good impression of rallying skills, but user-friendly enough to keep casual gamers playing it...

As usual Codies have made another fantastic driving game, and they've even incorporated the F1 2010 weather system in this game... the graphics improvements in this game also bode well for F1 2011. It's good to see that the different Codies teams are all helping each other!

#3 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:20

That is good news thank you.....i'm currently enduring/enjoying/suffering from (lol) a post-rFactor hangover of epic (months) proportions and i've been having a long look at Dirt 3 as something completely different to have a go at.....'proper' dirt physics etc (and modability in the longer term by all accounts, people at RD are already dabbling with it) so i'm about ready to dig into the old pocket :)

#4 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:21

I was seriously disappointed with the physics and feedback in F1 2010 from Codemasters and if Dirt 3 is similar then I won't go there.

#5 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 23:25

Is actual rallying more prominent in this game? I didn't like how in Dirt 2 most of the events were races or those odd "gate crasher" trials. When I buy a rallying game, I expect LOTS of rallying... Not for it to be pushed into a corner. Dirt 1 had tons, Dirt 2 had too little. How's Dirt 3?

#6 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:22

Is actual rallying more prominent in this game? I didn't like how in Dirt 2 most of the events were races or those odd "gate crasher" trials. When I buy a rallying game, I expect LOTS of rallying... Not for it to be pushed into a corner. Dirt 1 had tons, Dirt 2 had too little. How's Dirt 3?

They've made the career mode in Dirt 3 something like 70% Rally events. The stages are a little bit wide but they tend to only have one optimum line, so the relative width isn't that noticeable most of the time...

AI is very good, aggressive but not stupid.

#7 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,112 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:00

Worth getting for a console (x360) ?

Itching for a rallyish type game. Liked dirt1, passed on dirt2, hated the official wrc game.

#8 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:00

Worth getting for a console (x360) ?

Itching for a rallyish type game. Liked dirt1, passed on dirt2, hated the official wrc game.

I've been playing the game a bit on my PC and I have to say it's quite good! They cut out a lot of the really stupid content from the second game (making friendships, drivers talking and making remarks during races, etc.) and also tossed the style of the previous game out the window. I hated the "everything looks like graffiti" style of Dirt 2 and thankfully Codemasters did away with it. Dirt 3 has more in common with the first title than the second, and I consider this to be a very good thing.

My only complaint is that some of the rally stages don't feel long enough, usually lasting two minutes tops. I'm still early in the game though, so that might change.

Edited by UPRC, 01 June 2011 - 02:01.

#9 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,112 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 20:53

So traded in my copy of WRC for this, and my first impression was that I was back driving the old CMR series and that is a good thing. Handling is simplified for the console, but has enough 'feel' to be enjoyable and gives the sense you know what is going to happen - the best you could hope for on the 360 with no decent affordable wheel and thus using the controller.

Biggest gripe is what UPRC mentioned - stages are way to short so far, and hoping they get slightly longer as the game progresses. However, being as busy as I am, short stages does mean that I can get through the season mode a bit quicker. Also, driving with all aids off (except for abs), it doesn't seem too difficult to control the car, but opponent difficulty is another matter probably due to the fact that I suck. On one of the time trial stages in Kenya, I was 20 seconds down on the WR time on the leaderboard :blush:

But it is entertaining, and the handling model is way less frustrating than the WRC game's, so a enjoyable and playable game for me. Hard core racers and people with skills will probably get bored of it very quickly at least on the xbox.

#10 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:32

I was seriously disappointed with the physics and feedback in F1 2010 from Codemasters and if Dirt 3 is similar then I won't go there.

I got both and you can really tell Codie invested a sh*tload more into Dirt3 in everything from menus to the drive itself.

If they made an F1 game with the same effort they have put into D3 it would be a F1 fanatics wet dream

#11 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 18:22

I got both and you can really tell Codie invested a sh*tload more into Dirt3 in everything from menus to the drive itself.

If they made an F1 game with the same effort they have put into D3 it would be a F1 fanatics wet dream

one would hope that they have done so with F1 2011... Codies have been making Rally games for a long time, so their understanding of what makes a great rally game is greater than their current understanding of F1 games...

To see the F1 weather system implemented in Dirt, though in this case it's more a graphical tool (executed very well), is encouraging for the upcoming F1 game... the sharing of info and the common engine they use is very good.

#12 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 13:06

Hi everyone as well as posting here quite I work on the community team at thesixthaxis.com and have organised a comeptition to win one of six copies of DiRT 3 for PS3.

It involves predicting the results of the European GP and is free to enter, http://www.thesixtha...ion-win-dirt-3/

#13 zold

zold

• 308 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 00:36

Dirt 3 is a step above to the point where I would recommend completely skipping #2.
In my opinion #1 is still the best in the series it's just a shame it feels the need to constantly corrupt my saves.
My only gripe for #3 is, as others have said, that it still lacks enough rallying. I think the truck/buggy racing is pointless and sluggish, and gymkhana is stupid. Mr. Block should have stayed in the trash with dirt 2. Otherwise a great, very polished game.

I also note a lot of people don't realise F12010 was rushed out which is why it was so poorly produced. a lot more was intended for the game but certain agendas forced an early release and they basically sold an unfinished product. i know that f12011 will indeed take some engine improvements from dirt3 tech so hopefully it will be a great improvement.

#14 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:53

i wish there was a career mode without the gymkhana events. if you could skip them, great, but most are compulsary and like pulling teeth :mad:

other than that, great game. agree with the comments about the rally stages being too short. but i am also not that far in.

#15 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 15:20

I get around this by using the easily changed difficulty setting..... Drop it to 1 and in about 20 seconds you've won and it's behind you. I don't like them either. I've found that you can win the "seasons" while skipping a race. I completly finished the first year, after that I have been skipping all the rally events. I'll buzz the gymkahana with a controller along with the trucks and buggies. When those are done I'll get out the trusty ol' G25 and tackle the rallycross and trailblazer on 4 or 5. When I get as far as I can this way I'll go back and do the rally on max difficulty (I hope!)

not perfect but atleast I can have a sense of a rally championship.....