Photo

Valerie Domleo / Valerie Harper

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisRS6

ChrisRS6

• 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 00:22

I came across a question re "the ladies gang" in the 1960's.

They included such "girls" as Pat Moss, Anne Hall, Val Domleo, Val Harper, Rose Smith, these ladies achieved rally sucess which was amazing at the time.

Val Harper who partnered several ladies mentioned above, was and is my "god-mother", as was her husband, Brian Harper my "god-father", they were co-founders, with my father, of Cannock and District Car Club.

I was privileged to know these lovely, talented people on a personal level as I grew up.

Ours was always a motorsport household, indeed I remember being taken for a fast ride through the lanes by Val Dolmeo in the works Sunbeam Talbot, only to be thwarted by a combined-harvester !!.

I grew up with Oulton Park, and the dear Mallory Park, as local "play-grounds" what a different era !!.

vbr Chris A.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:06

Welcome, Chris. I note that your post (and post heading) spells the surname in two different ways - Domleo and Dolmeo. I suspect it was a slip of the keyboard finger but the correct version is Domleo.

#3 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 20:11

Interestingly, Stuart Turner's new biography of Pat Moss says that Pat considered Anne Hall the fastest "other female rally driver" and implies that she (PM) considered her (AH) a bit dangerous (as in unsafe, not just as in a serious competitor to her).
I've heard Anne Hall say in an interview that there were times when she wondered whatever she was doing putting herself in such dangerous situations but I don't recall an above average accident record.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 21:29

Interestingly, Stuart Turner's new biography of Pat Moss says that Pat considered Anne Hall the fastest "other female rally driver" and implies that she (PM) considered her (AH) a bit dangerous (as in unsafe, not just as in a serious competitor to her).
I've heard Anne Hall say in an interview that there were times when she wondered whatever she was doing putting herself in such dangerous situations but I don't recall an above average accident record.

I think I've mentioned it before somewhere on TNF but Anne Hall apparently ended up as a driving instructor ( as told to me by a mate who was taught by her )

#5 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:55

Does any anyone have contact details for Val Domleo, I'd like to see if she remembers anything about the 1962 Tulip Rally. She navigated for Anne Hall in a TVR Mk2 but crashed between St Die and the Col de la Charbonniere

Thank you for your help.

Rob

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 13:58

Ella Valerie Morley resigned from her appointment at Loose Hall Farm Ltd. on 09 January 2007. I am afraid that could mean she died that day.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 14:30

She resigned as Company Secretary in 2007 and was replaced by one of her sons, but remained as a director of Loose Hall Farm Ltd, and is still listed as an active director on the latest Companies House listing for her:

https://beta.compani...ZI/appointments

I think this indicates that she is still with us. There's an address for the company on that listing.

#8 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 14:35

Thank you -hopefully Tim is correct. I guess I could write to the farm.

Anne Hall died 19th January 2003 there is a Telegraph obituary.

Rob

Edited by RobMk2a, 25 January 2017 - 14:47.

#9 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 22:22

Are Valerie Domleo and Valerie Harper the same person?

As far as I know, Val Domleo is still alive, but I've never seen her at any motorsport events where the other rallying ladies have appeared.

Away from the rally stage, she was a physicist, and I believe she worked at MIRA for some time.

#10 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:00

No, two very separate persons. Valerie Harper was the wife of British rally driver Brian Harper, and was a competent driver, but never a co-driver.

Valerie Domleo was a very very high-quality co-driver who attained 'works' drives with several girls, at BMC, Ford and at Rootes/Chrysler. She married BMC driver Donald Morley in the late 1960s, became Valerie Morley, and promptly retired to raise a family with him.

Valerie Harper is still alive and lives in Staffordshire.

Valerie Morley is still alive and lives in Suffolk. 

Until about two years ago, both appeared regularly at 'classic' events, particularly those inspired by Ecurie Cod Fillet.

Edited by AAGR, 29 January 2017 - 10:03.

#11 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:38

Valerie Domleo ... married BMC driver Donald Morley in the late 1960s, became Valerie Morley, and promptly retired to raise a family with him.

Not entirely correct, methinks.

The marriage was in 1966 but she still co-drove - on a reduced scale it seems - in the 1970s.

#12 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 14:47

After some research I can add that Valerie Margaret Harper was born on 19 September 1935. It seems her maiden name was Holmes and she married Brian Harper in 1955. Her husband was born in December 1929 and seems to be still alive as well.

#13 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 15:17

Sorry to have to correct Rewind, but Brian Harper (Valerie's husband) died some years ago: I don't recall the year, but it was about ten years ago.

I know them/knew them all personally.

#14 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 15:24

Sorry to hear that.

On http://www.genesreunited.co.uk I did not find a match.

#15 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 14:26

Not entirely correct, methinks.

The marriage was in 1966 but she still co-drove - on a reduced scale it seems - in the 1970s.

Donald and Valerie competed together at least once, iirc.

She was an RAC-qualified timekeeper as well as a co-driver, and was involved in motorsport in that capacity as well.

#16 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 17:41

Sadly, Valerie Morley-Domleo died peacefully at home in Suffolk, on 24 December 2020, aged 88.

#17 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 20:16

Posted on one of the memorial threads on here at the time.

#18 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 15:16

I met Brian & Val Harper's daughter, Vicki, 2-3 years ago.....she came up to Cumbria to marshal on a local historic regularity rally, the organisers teamed us up to marshal as controls operate best when there are 2 people. She had started doing some rally navigating herself on similar events.

#19 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 16:32

Sadly, Valerie Morley-Domleo died peacefully at home in Suffolk, on 24 December 2020, aged 88.

At about that time we saw a repeat of the BBC TV "Floggit" programme in which she appeared with a couple of rally watches for valuation and sale. That is to say I'm pretty sure it was her, but she was a lot younger when I last saw her (as was I!).