Photo

Ferrari 250 TR side vents

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 310 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 19:53

Oddball question I know, but I have been looking at a lot of photos of 250TR Ferraris from the 1950's and of restored cars from the present, and I have seen a variety of treatments for the oblong side vents between the exhaust and the door. Some seem to be almost flush with the bodywork, some have a more recessed inner panel that is open at the front (I assume to allow engine heat to escape) while others seem to have no inner panel at all. If there was no panel, was the opening directly to the cockpit? Any clarifications or explanations would be welcome.

Advertisement

#2 Calhoun

Calhoun

• 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:33

I was at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum's Rossa Corsa Demo Day today. Dr. Simeone ran his 1958 TR250, and I (somehow) remembered your post. There is no opening from these side vents into the cockpit. It seems to only serve to vent air from the engine.
...There is a separate duct that directs air from the front of the car into the cockpit. They run from the openings near the headlights and are physically above the side vent.

I hope you find these pictures useful. www.simeonefoundation.org

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:23

I presumed the question related to the later 250TR models, not the pontoon-fendered cars as shown here

Edited by David McKinney, 25 September 2011 - 06:23.

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:01

One answer to the original question might be that 250TR's had at least 3 different styles of bodywork built by Scarlietti, Pininfarina or Carrozeria Touring, many of them suffered race damage and not all been repaired by the original coach work builders.