Photo

AUTOSPORT Weekly Poll 30/31 May: Is Lewis Hamilton singled out by the stewards?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Lewis Hamilton being singled out by the stewards? (446 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Lewis Hamilton being singled out by the stewards?

1. Yes, he has been unfairly singled out (48 votes [10.76%])

Percentage of vote: 10.76%

2. Occasionally they're too harsh with him (112 votes [25.11%])

Percentage of vote: 25.11%

3. No, his driving has warranted investigation (222 votes [49.78%])

Percentage of vote: 49.78%

4. They should investigate him more often (64 votes [14.35%])

Percentage of vote: 14.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AUTOSPORT-Polls

AUTOSPORT-Polls
  • AUTOSPORT Magazine

• 86 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:47

Hi everyone

Lewis Hamilton is in the spotlight once again after Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix, both for the accidents that resulted in him being penalised twice, and for his claims after the race that he has been unfairly targeted by the stewards.

Is he being persecuted? Or is he simply causing more incidents than anyone else? We want to know what you think. We'll be keeping the poll open for 24 hours, and running the results in this week's issue of AUTOSPORT magazine.

Regards

Mark Glendenning
AUTOSPORT

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 10,270 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:49

'Occasionally they're too harsh with him'
that.

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,288 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:51

The only reason for the investigations is his on-track beaviour.

Edited by Diablobb81, 30 May 2011 - 08:52.

#4 teejay

teejay

• 3,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:57

that.

This

#5 GreyArrow

GreyArrow

• 281 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:00

With Lewis I am reminded of miscreants being arrested on TV cop shows screaming "I ain't done nuffin'" over and over. Aside from their use of double negatives inadvertently proving them correct in their assertion, their (attempt) to suggest that, far from being a perpetrator of an offence they have been incorrectly punished by officials, does have Lewis written all over it.

When you're immature and get punished for your actions you blame the officials.
As you mature you acknowledge that you have to abide by the same rules as everybody else.

Everybody is special Lewis. You may have been told it a million times by your dad when you were young, but so was everybody else. The rules still apply to you.

That he has effectively gone unpunished for robbing Maldonado of his first points (a +seconds penalty that does not affect his placing) suggests he, again, has been let off very lightly by the stewards.

Edited by GreyArrow, 30 May 2011 - 09:02.

#6 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:01

The only reason for the investigations is his on-track beaviour.

That but his comments yesterday may well lead to him being singled out in future.

#7 topoljM

topoljM

• 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:03

"Occasionally they're too harsh with him"
+1

#8 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 828 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:04

No, his driving has warranted investigation

#9 as65p

as65p

• 16,621 posts

Pussy poll.

Where is the option "because him is black (as Ali G would say)"?

:smoking:

#10 GreyArrow

GreyArrow

• 281 posts

That but his comments yesterday may well lead to him being singled out in future.

Fortunately for Lewis I doubt it.

Accusing (even when in a very obviously joking context) the stewards or FIA of racism perhaps should single him out for greater analysis on the future, but I think the FIA will let it go, like many of his other transgressions.

#11 Dusty

Dusty

• 274 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:14

Depends what the FIA want, racers or journeymen. There has been great passing this year from a lot of the drivers but Hamilton is one of the few who's able to stop Vettel for the championship race. While I don't advocate favoritism I do think Alonso, Hamilton, Webber and Button do need a little leaway to try and keep the title alive.

#12 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:25

While I don't advocate favoritism I do think Alonso, Hamilton, Webber and Button do need a little leaway to try and keep the title alive.

... so that you advocate favoritism against the WDC leader. Very nice and sporty.

IMHO sometimes Hamilton got a penalty too harsh, sometimes the right one and sometimes one too light, just like pretty much every other driver.

He certainly gives the stewards lots of material to look at and is not singled out, as far as I can see. His agressive style and yield-or-crash approach in quite some of his overtakes attempts does claim a lot of success and a lot of victims, himself included.

Consistency between different steward teams and races are still a problem though.

Edited by H2H, 30 May 2011 - 09:29.

#13 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,064 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:34

love him or loathe him Lewis Hamilton is the biggest draw in F1 - this forum is clear indication that he gets people talking (for hours) good or bad. He eclipsed Vettel's fantastic win yesterday with his comments, which people will still be talking about in two weeks time.

I doubt he is being singled out by the stewards, but he most certainly is being singled out by F1 fans

#14 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,560 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:41

They are looking for him now.

Massa kept his lead and his car wasn't obviously damaged, there's no precedent for that penalty. Only Lewis would have got it, surely.

#15 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,622 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:05

IN 2008 they where gunning for him, Mosley had McLaren in his sights. This year he they are right. Lewis seems to believe all other drivers have to move aside if he comes charging. The handwave to Schumacher said it all.

Massa kept his lead and his car wasn't obviously damaged, there's no precedent for that penalty. Only Lewis would have got it, surely.

DiResta might disagree with this one

Edited by DarthWillie, 30 May 2011 - 10:06.

#16 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,707 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:05

Interesting...

#17 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:08

The results of this poll will be heavily influenced by Hamilton's Juan-Montoya-on-drugs type driving at Monaco. I am also kind of caught up by his behaviour at Monaco, but generally the answer IMHO to this question is "Occasionally they're too hard on him"

#18 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:11

that.

This, although he did drive like a cock yesterday

#19 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,090 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:11

Went with occasionally to harsh but i think that about other drivers too..

Advertisement

#20 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:12

He drove like a nutcase yesterday. he is a great driver, but maybe the reason for him being investigated is not that the stewards hate him, but a little closer to home?

he as gotten away with many things, but that is the same with all the drivers. imo, he deserved the penalties he got yesterday.

#21 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:15

Posted Image
That explains a few things

#22 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:18

Posted Image
That explains a few things

Looks more like a HRT than a Mclaren to me :rotfl:

#23 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,109 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:19

"Occasionally they're too harsh with him". That's the truth after seeing Kobayashi/Sutil incident. :down: :down:

#24 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,630 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:31

This is a good a thread as any to put this;

I just found the following page that keeps track of all the penalties, warnings and reprimands since the start of 2010.
http://www.vivaf1.co...alties_prev.php

Excluding those which are caused by the team (technical, unsafe releases, etc), the drivers recieved the following number of warnings/reprimands/penalties in 2010

10 Petrov
7 Glock, Sutil
6 Kobayashi
5 Alguersuari, Hulkenberg
4 Button, Schumacher, de la Rosa, Buemi
3 Senna, Alonso, Kovalainen, Hamilton, Webber, Vettel, Luizzi
2 Klien, GRassi, Kubica, Barrichello, Yamamoto,
1 Fauzy, Massa, Trulli, Hielfeld

Hamilton increases to 4 if you count the black+white flag for the weaving in China. It's not gone quite so well for him this year, he's had a warning, a reprimand, and three drive throughs.

#25 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,126 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:48

There were occassions when I thought Hamilton should have been penalised, and he wasn't. He is responsible for a lot of car body carnage, yet he got away unpunished more frequently than I thought he should had. Problem is, some other drivers got away too, excluding Schumacher, who seems to be favorite punching bag for everyone who gets a chance to have a go at him.

I think Hamilton should be penilised more often if he deserves that, but because of (perceived) inconsistencies from Stewards, I voted "No, his driving has warranted investigation".

(I am also not convinced that attaching a driver with Stewards of the Race has changed much to past years).

Edited by Sakae, 30 May 2011 - 11:24.

#26 madraykin

madraykin

• 140 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:59

Not great poll options in my opinion.

I eventually went for "No, his driving has warranted investigation", though "Occasionally they're too harsh with him" would also have been true in my opinion, but then again, in my opinion, they're occasionally too harsh with any driver that gets investigated so I don't think that's specific to him.

An option for "He's not treated differently to any other driver" would have been what I'd have liked to be able to pick.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,890 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:01

That's what the third option is.

#28 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 667 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:04

:up:

#29 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,812 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:05

Yes, he has been unfairly singled out :rotfl: , how it's that even possible if you are not a Hamilton fanboy?

Occasionally they're too harsh with him :drunk: , we can revisit history, and we will find out that the stewards helped Hamilton in many many times in the past.

They should investigate him more often :lol: , yeah just follow him with a camera all the race, joke answer right?.

Awful choices in my opinion.

#30 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:08

BWD or is it DWB :confused:

Edited by FA and RK fan, 30 May 2011 - 11:10.

#31 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:13

So, currently 52% of the voters on this forum would prefer to see less actual, proper racing? That's something for FOTA to chew on.

#32 as65p

as65p

• 16,621 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:16

So, currently 52% of the voters on this forum would prefer to see less actual, proper racing?

Replace the underlined with "divebomb" and you'll understand. Or not.

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,890 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:17

Everyone's for actual, proper racing. A car ending up in the barrier is usually not within that definition.

#34 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,560 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:20

DiResta might disagree with this one

Di Resta's move was later and there was obvious car damage.

#35 swerved

swerved

• 3,497 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:21

With Lewis I am reminded of miscreants being arrested on TV cop shows screaming "I ain't done nuffin'" over and over. Aside from their use of double negatives inadvertently proving them correct in their assertion, their (attempt) to suggest that, far from being a perpetrator of an offence they have been incorrectly punished by officials, does have Lewis written all over it.

When you're immature and get punished for your actions you blame the officials.
As you mature you acknowledge that you have to abide by the same rules as everybody else.

Everybody is special Lewis. You may have been told it a million times by your dad when you were young, but so was everybody else. The rules still apply to you.

That he has effectively gone unpunished for robbing Maldonado of his first points (a +seconds penalty that does not affect his placing) suggests he, again, has been let off very lightly by the stewards.

:clap:

His driving absolutely warranted the attention of the stewards.

#36 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:21

Currently, no.

In 2008, yes.

#37 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:24

how can some excuse Hamilton when he has a bad day as 'racing'. Michael did racing fine, and so did Felipe when he overtook rosberg. Hamilton is not the only overtaker in F1.

I bet all this 'racing' stuff also was being said in Canada 08.

forgive me, but last time i checked, running into people is not racing. that is crashing.

#38 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:25

Di Resta's move was later and there was obvious car damage.

Di Resta's move was earlier.

#39 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:26

Hamilton is the best driver in F1. When Fia gives him a penalty there is a big deal. When a driver down a grid does something wrong nobody cares. We can all remember Monza 2006 and how frustrated Alonso got, declaring that F1 is no longer a sport. link

Edited by mlsnoopy, 30 May 2011 - 11:32.

Advertisement

#40 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,502 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:27

that.

+1

#41 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:29

love him or loathe him Lewis Hamilton is the biggest draw in F1 - this forum is clear indication that he gets people talking (for hours) good or bad. He eclipsed Vettel's fantastic win yesterday with his comments, which people will still be talking about in two weeks time.

I doubt he is being singled out by the stewards, but he most certainly is being singled out by F1 fans

The reason we talk about him is because he has a red mist that at this stage of his career he should have sorted out already - dont go spinning this as something positive.

He is not the biggest draw in f1 - he may be in Britian but I think you will find names such as Ferrari and Fernando Alonso in most countries to be somewhat greater.

He eclipsed Vettel's win? Exactly how? The laps before the red flag were just superb with the top three battling. Then there was that matter of Vettel being focused on after he won in a season that is making him look like the heir apparent to Senna, Prost and Schumacher.

#42 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:30

Option 4 - They should investigate him more often is misleading, they investigate him just fine. The number of reprimands, meaningless penalties or no actions whatsoever is a questionable method. I'm with Massa here, he will not learn that way.

#43 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,300 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:37

No. He was by far the worst out there today.

#44 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:42

Occasionally they're too harsh with him; Why? In Spa 2008, the FIA retrospectively(as well as some drivers) arbitrarily made up the rule, if you cut a chicane, despite giving back the place, you cannot overtake again at the next corner. This was an absurdity and a completely new retrospective rule, made up on the hoof. In Japan 2008, Hamilton was the only driver in F1 history, who outbraked himself whilst on cold tyres, at the first corner, at the start of the GP and received a penalty for it. Outbraking yourself at the start of a GP, however optimistic the maneuver might have been, has never been punishable offence and I've been watching F1 like a religion for nearly 35 years and seen many such moves. So Hamilton has a right to feel aggrieved. Conversely some of his moves have warranted a penalty, there's no doubt about that. His move on Massa yesterday, despite his protestations, was borderline and warranted a penalty.

#45 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:00

Currently, no.

In 2008, yes.

This x1000

#46 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:01

Occasionally they're too harsh with him; Why? In Spa 2008, the FIA retrospectively(as well as some drivers) arbitrarily made up the rule, if you cut a chicane, despite giving back the place, you cannot overtake again at the next corner. This was an absurdity and a completely new retrospective rule, made up on the hoof.

Not a rule. The stewards interpreted rules they way they wanted to.

#47 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:34

He's an overtaker in an era when overtaking is not easy (despite tyres and DRS) so he's always going to get in trouble

Personally I'd rather hand out penalties to boring drivers who circle round and round and never make an attempt to overtake

#48 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,445 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:35

that.

And other times he gets away...

#49 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 13:23

How about another question -
Would people stop following F1 if Lewis Hamilton wasn't racing?
Add to that - would these forums be as popular with Hamilton?

As to yesterday. The FIA chose to allow the use of DRS on the start/finish straight. Why should it have come as a surprise to drivers that it was likely they'd have someone try and pass them at the end of it?

Massa knows the hairpin is an overtaking opportunity. Why did he enter the corner so wide and leave the door open to Hamilton?

#50 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 13:29

I don't think he is being unfairly treated. But the stewards do favour the defender, and it has to be said those moves could have been legitimate and fair if the car infront didn't defend as hard. Not that they aren't entitled to do that, but I feel that Lewis wasn't fully to blame and on another day he would have been called the man of the race and an overtaking God had Webber not been infront of Massa and Maldonado turned in when expected.