Photo

Elfin road going Fastback circa 81

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:14

A friend [who lurks here regularly] emailed me a link to a add for an Elfin sporty Hatchback. www.whatsinyourpaddock.com.au ads335.

Does anyone know anything about it? It was supposedly being built when Garrie died. Evidently Golf power in the rear.
It is totally foreign to me.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:37

You left out a couple of forward slashes, Lee. This should work:

http://www.whatsinyo....com.au/ads/335

#3 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:28

A friend [who lurks here regularly] emailed me a link to a add for an Elfin sporty Hatchback. www.whatsinyourpaddock.com.au ads335.

Does anyone know anything about it? It was supposedly being built when Garrie died. Evidently Golf power in the rear.

The road car was an NG formula vee based car wasn't it? there are a few photos of it under construction in the elfin book.

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:37

The road car was an NG formula vee based car wasn't it? there are a few photos of it under construction in the elfin book.

No this is a car that looks a bit like an early Corrolla with a Chev Monza nose. Look at the link now that Tim has tidied it up for this techno dill!

#5 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:55

Looking at the rear shot it is a mid engine car, so it could be based on Vee bits.

#6 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:14

No this is a car that looks a bit like an early Corrolla with a Chev Monza nose. Look at the link now that Tim has tidied it up for this techno dill!

i meant NG based as in engine and suspension, not as in looks. this does look very similar to the photos i have seen of that project and it was being built around that time too.

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:10

It would be a lot of work to rejig a Vee into a 2 seater and it does seem to be mid engined. It is supposed to be Golf powered so once again a lot of mods to put an upright engine where a flat one lived. Though probably a VW gearbox in the back. It does not grab me but is quite interesting none the less.

#8 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 21:29

Hi Jeremy, how about returning the book so I can check your comments :wave:

Cheers

#9 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:18

I know the fellow that owns it. I'll endeavour to get him to hop on board and tell the story.

#10 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:54

Hi Jeremy, how about returning the book so I can check your comments :wave:

Cheers

Hi Bob, I'll have to do that. when is the next state round?

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:01

Hi Bob, I'll have to do that. when is the next state round?

This weekend

#12 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,345 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 13:59

Was there only one of this type made? It doesn't look much like the one sitting on the top floor of the Elfin Heritage Centre in Moorabbin....

#13 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:01

Was there only one of this type made? It doesn't look much like the one sitting on the top floor of the Elfin Heritage Centre in Moorabbin....

Apparently not. My mate tells me that he is aware of two others none of which are in Victoria. That makes four.

Mr Lambert. I haven't forgotten about those scans we spoke about at Mallala. :o I will get onto that shortly.