Photo

Does it still matter to you once the title is decided?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Once the title has been decided (193 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you do

1. I'd get up at 4am for all sessions and love it! Come on FP1 installation laps! (148 votes [76.68%])

Percentage of vote: 76.68%

2. I'd watch it live if the title was still going, but i'll catch a replay or something (32 votes [16.58%])

Percentage of vote: 16.58%

3. Meh, whats the point? I might read about it later I suppose (13 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:31

I've seen a lot of comments across various topics on here along the lines of its not worth watching after Vettels won the title, Vettels as good as already won the WDC whats the point, the FIA should change this rule or that rule to make the title race more exciting....

And I'm genuinely interested. As f1 fans would any of you not bother watching once the title is decided?

Personally I've never really cared about the title race. Don't get me wrong its fun and I've enjoyed the title deciders, but I care far far more about the individual races, and will gladly get up at stupid o'clock and follow all the sessions well after the title has been decided beacuse I want to enjoy the race and care about who wins it.

How about the rest of you? Are you still interested once the title has been decided, or is the title race the only motivating factor to keep watching?

Edited by spacekid, 31 May 2011 - 14:34.

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:34

I'll keep watching. The racing has been great and that won't change if the championship is decided early.

#3 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:39

I'll keep watching. The racing has been great and that won't change if the championship is decided early.

The problem is some teams may stop developing their cars when they're not in the title race any more. That usually hurt the chances of having highly disputed races. I'll keep watching them too anyway.

#4 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:44

Of course it does. The racing - which has been amazing this year - might be even better once the title is done and dusted. For me, the quality of racing is far better than a close title fight.

#5 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:45

There needs to be an option, "I'd get up live to watch the Qualifying and Races, no more though."

#6 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:47

The problem is some teams may stop developing their cars when they're not in the title race any more. That usually hurt the chances of having highly disputed races. I'll keep watching them too anyway.

nah, design is evolutionary. It's not like 2009 for example when you had completely different aero rules therefore there was no point developing 2008 concepts if you were out of the championship. These days and until 2013 whatever new front wing they run in Abu Dhabi can evolve into whatever wing will be fitted to the 2011 car etc etc and that applies to all major parts of the car. They don't start with a blank sheet of paper every year ;)

PS on topic, if the racing is interesting I watch, if the racing isn't interesting I don't. The championship is the cherry on top not the reason I watch F1

Edited by engel, 31 May 2011 - 14:51.

#7 dutchie

dutchie

• 118 posts

I'll keep watching every session I can but I would lose some interest, no doubt.

#8 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

I would keep watching, but probably with a couple of percent less interest.

I think the one race I can really remember not caring about was China 2005, which was of course a dead rubber.

#9 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:48

I think people have given the title to Vettel way too early.

Yes he is in a very strong position, but Hamilton and Alonso can still win it.

RBR's race speed is showing cracks at the moment, as is their strategy, Alonso is driving better than he ever did before and Ferrari is pushing the car, McLaren has the fastest car in race pace (all it needs is Crash Kid Hamilton getting his act together).

As Alonso has said correctly, after Silverstone we can make a proper judgement. This could turn out to be a 2009 although RBR surely will not falter like Brawn GP did.

#10 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:49

There needs to be an option, "I'd get up live to watch the Qualifying and Races, no more though."

Thats what my option means, each option is a slightly exagreated level of commitment thats all. I'm not actually expecting people to watch all the FP1 installation laps, even I'm not that nuts. I just mean you care just as much about the racing and put the same effort into watching it after all positions and championships are settled, as you would before.

#11 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:50

Thats what my option means, each option is a slightly exagreated level of commitment thats all. I'm not actually expecting people to watch all the FP1 installation laps, even I'm not that nuts. I just mean you care just as much about the racing and put the same effort into watching it after all positions and championships are settled, as you would before.

Ah, okay. Fair enough! :)

#12 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,762 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:52

Yes he is in a very strong position, but Hamilton and Alonso can still win it.

RBR's race speed is showing cracks at the moment, as is their strategy, Alonso is driving better than he ever did before and Ferrari is pushing the car, McLaren has the fastest car in race pace (all it needs is Crash Kid Hamilton getting his act together).

As Alonso has said correctly, after Silverstone we can make a proper judgement. This could turn out to be a 2009 although RBR surely will not falter like Brawn GP did.

that^

im just making an example here, but 70 years ago, the Germans looked to be dominating something else, and we know how that turned out.

point is, anything can change. sure, it looks unrealistic, but there have been spectacular drama in past seasons, and i feel that 2011 is just simmering.

#13 GreyArrow

GreyArrow

• 281 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:54

Despite what certain drivers claim, there is more to F1 than being the first driver to cross the line, or to win the WDC. Sure, they all want to win, but l'm confident they'd rather be 2nd in the championship than 15th.

There is an irony this year that, whilst the title has almost certainly been won already by Vettel, the racing has been the most entertaining for a long time. it would be very nice if the title went down to the last race or 2 again, but this years racing has proven (imho) racing can be exciting even if the winner is predictable. There are more battles going on than those for first and second.

Edited by GreyArrow, 31 May 2011 - 14:54.

#14 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:55

that^

im just making an example here, but 70 years ago, the Germans looked to be dominating something else, and we know how that turned out.

point is, anything can change. sure, it looks unrealistic, but there have been spectacular drama in past seasons, and i feel that 2011 is just simmering.

Fair enough. But what I'm really asking about is how much its all about the title races and positions and nothing more, and how much its about the actual individual races, with nothing more at staker than a race win. It isn't about whether Vettel has already got this one sewn up or not, just that I've seen a lot of comments suggesting that once he has got it there isn't any point.

#15 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:56

Yes he is in a very strong position, but Hamilton, Button, Webber and Alonso can still win it.

Fixed that for you. :D

#16 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:59

Fair enough. But what I'm really asking about is how much its all about the title races and positions and nothing more, and how much its about the actual individual races, with nothing more at staker than a race win. It isn't about whether Vettel has already got this one sewn up or not, just that I've seen a lot of comments suggesting that once he has got it there isn't any point.

Even if Vettel (or anybody else) is champion by Monza and leading Singapore by 3 laps, if there's a Hamilton/Alonso/Button battle on for 2nd the racing is entertaining. If the title goes to the wire and they are circulating around 5 seconds apart in stack formation then the racing is boring. I m more inclined to watch if the first scenario is playing out than the second.

#17 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:00

as long as the races are as exciting as the last 2 was, I don't mind Vettel winning all of the remaining races. :)

yeah, that must sound a bit weird 'cause I'm a fan of his, but if he'd be dominating Schumi 2002/2004 style, being able to build up a 20 sec lead in 15 laps and then nursing it home wouldn't blow my socks off, that kind of title is too effortless to my liking. if he wins every race by a great fight, on the other hand, would make it (one of) the most impressive WDC.

#18 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,762 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:02

to answer your question, i would definitely watch the races and quali, but i wouldnt follow it as eagerly.

actually let me rephrase that. it would still be interesting, but since the title is gone, most teams would be concentrating on next year.

so the time between the races will be less interesting, and that is also one of the main reasons i love f1. the backstories

Edited by SCUDmissile, 31 May 2011 - 15:06.

#19 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:02

Naturally I will watching it, WDC isn't the only reason why I follow F1, I simply felt in love in this sport!

Advertisement

#20 sushantf1

sushantf1

• 258 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:07

That won't stop the crashing and bashing :)

#21 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:08

None of the above

The poll is missing the 'get up at normal time and watch on demand like normal' option

Edited by Stormsky68, 31 May 2011 - 15:11.

#22 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:20

None of the above

The poll is missing the 'get up at normal time and watch on demand like normal' option

Yeah thats not quite the point I'm trying to make here. This forum has fans worldwide, different races are on at different times for them. And its an exagreted instance to judge how peoples commitment to watching the races changes once all the titles and positions have been decided. Lets assume the last race is somewhere thats not 1pm local time for you...

Edited by spacekid, 31 May 2011 - 15:22.

#23 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 954 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:24

I'd watch it on replay instead. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to watch bloated battleships wallow around on papier-mâché tires, title or no title.

#24 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 954 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:24

(double post)

Edited by Tardis40, 31 May 2011 - 18:52.

#25 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,649 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:28

I have not "religously" followed F1 for years. It has nothing to do with the championship. I'll watch it if by chance I am home and it is on, but I no longer make any special effort.

One of the things that made F1 thrilling for me was all the technical work and innovations which would spring up. Perusing the F1 magazines and web sites for any hint of a new development, then anxiously awaiting the race weekend to see if said development actually helped close the gap on the next car was one of the most intersting aspects of F1 to me.

With limited development and no testing all of that is gone now.

#26 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:32

Yah long live F1 on replay

We demand a 4th option

Edited by Stormsky68, 31 May 2011 - 15:32.

#27 Dusty

Dusty

• 274 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:37

The title isn't that important and if the racing remains good this year I can get over it.

#28 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:41

It's Formula 1, and it's about winning races, so, what's the point of this thread?

#29 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:42

Spacekid wants to find out how many houses can be burgled at 4am

#30 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:14

Of course. Title isn't everything.

Edited by Dispenser89, 31 May 2011 - 16:15.

#31 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:16

What sets Formula 1 apart from all other sports is that each race is a major event in the country it takes place. Kind of like a one-weekend World Cup or Olympics. Every race is a big deal and international news, and being an ultra-competitive sport a win is hugely valuable to every driver. How badly do you think Michael Schumacher wants to win a race? And he's already won 91 of them!

Beyond that, there is so much more to see. Looking at just the championship or even just race wins is a simplistic way to look at the sport - there are tremendous battles going on in the midfield every race (and over the course of the season) and the racing in general has been spectacular this year.

Edited by tkulla, 31 May 2011 - 16:17.

#32 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:17

It's Formula 1, and it's about winning races, so, what's the point of this thread?

Well, if you read what I wrote in the opening post, the point is I've seen a lot of posts on other threads from people saying that they want to see the title race somehow elongated because once it has been won early they don't see the point, and I was interested to know if people are enthusiastic only for the championship races, or if they are just as enthusiastic for each individual race even if it is a 'dead rubber' from a championship point of view.

Sorry you don't like me asking. I thought was a fairly harmless and fun topic.

Edited by spacekid, 31 May 2011 - 16:20.

#33 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,027 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:20

Of course it matters, I am not watching it only for the title

In Barcelona I didn't even notice Alonso took the lead, I was focusing on what the Mercedes guys were doing.

#34 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:21

cheer up, I'm just pulling your leg

#35 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:23

I would probably stop watching most of the practice sessions, I'd still tune into qualifying and the races. Also, F1 is more than about the #1 spot in WDC/WCC. There's still other battles going on, in the midfield and such. Renault vs Mercedes. Sauber, Force India, Toro Rosso and Williams. Team Lotus, can they catch up? HRT and Virgin, will they ever actually get better. Lots of questions to ask as yet.

Edited by King Six, 31 May 2011 - 16:23.

#36 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:28

Ya I'd watch to see how Lewis would fare with his wonderful aggressive driving, and how MS would either make great passes or stuff them up and have collisions. Much to watch, as long as the TV director is competent enough. :)

#37 Starish

Starish

• 1,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:54

Maybe we could have two championships in the season :lol:

#38 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:55

I'll still watch all the races of course but the excitement will have lost it's edge.

#39 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:59

I'll still watch all the races of course but the excitement will have lost it's edge.

I thought already that this season has been kind of deflated already since it looks like Seb's season is all but sewn up already? That's how I view it. So the edge has been made blunt already lol. Of course it aint over till it's over but sure seems seb's season...

Advertisement

#40 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:59

Nope. I find the winner of the 'best car that's not a Red Bull' championship, 'best car that's not a Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren' championship, the midfield championship and the new teams championship more interesting than the winner of real driver's championship.

#41 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:02

Of course it does. The racing - which has been amazing this year - might be even better once the title is done and dusted. For me, the quality of racing is far better than a close title fight.

I think you only say that to sound cool and unbiased but I know that all that matters to you is Lewis Hamilton.

The only good race that we saw was Monaco, where there was real battling/racing. I'm sure, though, that you prefered the artificial Chinese race just because Hamilton won.

That Kers overtake, on Vettel, for the lead was yack.

McLaren has the fastest car in race pace (all it needs is Crash Kid Hamilton getting his act together).

that's why I don't like biased Mclaren fans, they are always distorting facts to hype their team.

Mclaren had better pace in 1 race out of 6.

Vettel was again trashing Button in first stint of Monaco, where all conditions were the same.

Edited by Kubiccia, 31 May 2011 - 18:03.

#42 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:08

I'll watch the race but won't bother watching FP1 and FP3 (which are at 4am for me most of the time)

Edited by BigCHrome, 31 May 2011 - 21:41.

#43 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:36

I think I have missed one race and 2 quali sessions in the last 10 years so, I will certainly still be watching.

There is much less excitement when the titles are done and dusted though.

#44 Reverend

Reverend

• 278 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:49

i'd be as excited as the last race of 2009

#45 fum3s

fum3s

• 470 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:06

... Vettels as good as already won the WDC whats the point ...

He's leading by 58 new points, which amounts to 23.2 old points. Kimi was trailing by 17 old points with three races to go when he won the WDC.
We have more than half the season left! People really don't seem to get the new inflated point system.

#46 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:13

He's leading by 58 new points, which amounts to 23.2 old points. Kimi was trailing by 17 old points with three races to go when he won the WDC.
We have more than half the season left! People really don't seem to get the new inflated point system.

Once again, that isn't the position I'm putting forward, I simply said I have seen a lot of people say that already on the forum and am interested to know how people feel about the races once the title has been decided. Generally. It isn't a thread about Vettel already having won...

#47 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:18

In previous years, I'd have probably lost interest once the WDC was decided, as it was the only thing of real interest to emerge from each procession held in a different country.

This year however, the racing has been that good, I'm pretty much finding the WDC is of secondary importance to me. Now its all about the spectacle, the superb races, and the 'WOW' factor thats been missing from F1 for far too long. For me its regained a lot of the excitement it had when I first started watching, to the point where I'm not so bothered who's winning :D

Edited by wepmob2000, 31 May 2011 - 19:21.

#48 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:24

Yes, we mustn't forget that Lewis, Alonso, Button or Webber could still win it. Probably fair enough to forget about Massa, though.

#49 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:24

Quite. As I keep saying, there's looooong way to go.

#50 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:40

I guess so, all Vettel needs is some retirements or non-points finishes. Not unthinkable, but the reliability seems to be there this season. For all the cars, more than ever. We're getting record numbers of cars finishing races this season.

If anything their KERS issues would have made things problematic for them, but they're winning regardless. Their reliability on that front will only get better. They're all Red Bull tracks, save Canada, Monza. Maybe the new Indian Circuit as they're saying it's the second fastest after Monza. And Spa to a lesser degree.

The thing is, the RB7 is an easy podium contender, even if they don't win all the races, he doesn't even need to, it'll take some doing to knock him off the top perch, let alone the second, third, fourth etc..and he can afford alot of those.

Edited by King Six, 31 May 2011 - 19:40.