1969 Mustang Trans Am

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 michael84

michael84

• 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 13:26

Hi fellow motorsport lovers.

Does anyone know where the 7 Trans Am with Vin numbers 9F02M148623 to 9F02M148629 are Today

"Of these seven cars, one was sent to Kar Kraft, three others were shipped to Shelby Racing Company and the remaining three to Bud Moore Engineering - Moffat's car was one of the three Bud Moore cars. The sole fastback sent to Kar Kraft was a unique hand-built racer finished in a gorgeous black with gold stripe paint scheme, for tuning legend Smokey Yunick to run in NASCAR's 'Baby Grand' stock car series. The other six cars were built to Trans-Am specifications by the two race teams, based on Kar Kraft's chassis design blueprint."-From Bowden;s Own Website

I know Allan Moffats is Vin number 9F02M148624 and is in the Bowden collection in queensland.

Id loved to read more about what happened to the other cars/drivers or any Mustangs from the Trans Am series.

Pictures would be great to see also.

Thanks
Michael

Advertisement

#2 vintagecon

vintagecon

• 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 19:06

Hi fellow motorsport lovers.

Does anyone know where the 7 Trans Am with Vin numbers 9F02M148623 to 9F02M148629 are Today

"Of these seven cars, one was sent to Kar Kraft, three others were shipped to Shelby Racing Company and the remaining three to Bud Moore Engineering - Moffat's car was one of the three Bud Moore cars. The sole fastback sent to Kar Kraft was a unique hand-built racer finished in a gorgeous black with gold stripe paint scheme, for tuning legend Smokey Yunick to run in NASCAR's 'Baby Grand' stock car series. The other six cars were built to Trans-Am specifications by the two race teams, based on Kar Kraft's chassis design blueprint."-From Bowden;s Own Website

I know Allan Moffats is Vin number 9F02M148624 and is in the Bowden collection in queensland.

Id loved to read more about what happened to the other cars/drivers or any Mustangs from the Trans Am series.

Pictures would be great to see also.

Thanks
Michael

A lot of info about those cars including pictures on this webpage:
http://www.ponysite.de/transam.htm

/Conny

#3 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:41

Reading through that Ponysite article the Jack Brabham, Barry Sharp, Bruce Maxwell car if restored will be little more than a VIN no and some left over parts.
The comment about Moffat being on a shoestring going by the trailer at Simmons Plains is probably wrong. The car would have came over from the mainland by itself and used a local trailer to get the 70 miles to the track. Bringing the truck on the Ferry cost too much money then and still does. Racers who go to Tassy have been doing that for decades and still do!

#4 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:58

The comment about Moffat being on a shoestring going by the trailer at Simmons Plains is probably wrong. The car would have came over from the mainland by itself and used a local trailer to get the 70 miles to the track. Bringing the truck on the Ferry cost too much money then and still does. Racers who go to Tassy have been doing that for decades and still do!

Lee

That shot is one I gave them. The trailer is from Australia...not local Tas or hired here. It came on the boat.
and Symmons not Simmons

M code / G Code......
An interesting aside is that they all started life ex factory as M code or 351 4V's.
They became the Boss 302 prototypes much modified in the race team workshops to 5L or 302ci limit for
the Transam series.
The real production line Boss 302 's were G code.

Edited by Ellis French, 02 June 2011 - 00:36.

#5 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:32

I suppose there could be another story with the trailer, the usual trailer may have been too big and they used a borrowed one to save space (on the ferry space = money)

I do have to say that that trailer does look like the one that towed my car in Tasmania in the late 90s.

#6 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:54

I suppose there could be another story with the trailer, the usual trailer may have been too big and they used a borrowed one to save space (on the ferry space = money)

I do have to say that that trailer does look like the one that towed my car in Tasmania in the late 90s.

Did AM not have a F series truck that he used for the Boss?

#7 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:24

He did have a slope bed F truck with CocaCola signage on the drivers door but that may have been a bit later.
I know he carted the series prod Ford XYGTHO on it (F Truck) in late 1971 around Bathurst time.
I reckon the trailer pic is Mar 71 as he won the ATCC round at Symmons and I have other pics taken at the meeting
showing lap of honor.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:25

Weren't front line competitors absolved from such lowly things as ferry costs?

I would have thought that the Tasmanian Tourist authorities would have made a certain amount of roll-on space available for the top teams...

#9 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:36

I would have thought that the Tasmanian Tourist authorities would have made a certain amount of roll-on space available for the top teams...

I've got a video of ,i think 1964/5 Longford meeting and shows the Matich truck (small International ) with a trailer on back with a sports car (Lotus 19?) boarding the Empress of Australia.

#10 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:42

That might have been the case in some years but I do recall in the 80s a few teams electing not to take their transporters due to damage on previous trips.

When I went in the late 90s the deal was the road car went over at a subsidised rate (about $25 each way) but a race car on a trailer was classed as freight and was charged by weight and dimensions (about $600 return I think) I remember seeing a Vee sitting on the back of a one tonner to avoid the charge. I got the HQ on the boat as a road car with a Vicroads unregistered vehicle permit. (I don't think this is allowed now!)

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:18

I went over on the boat last about 20 years ago which coincided with both a Symons meeting and Targa Tas too. There was a fleet of local trailers and trucks to pick this assorted stuff up. This is/was quite common with speedway too. Some have been driven on and off.

The Ferry makes taking a transporter too expensive. It may be ok for Thupercars though in the past some of those have gone over on open trailers too to save some money.With or without a towcar.

If the trailer Moff is using is from the mainland [Tassy is part of Oz you know Ellis] it was still saving a dollar I am sure.

I tried to do the sums to go there in the 90s for a racing holiday as I have rellys in Hobart. But it just got too hard without government and promoters involved. It was far too expensive to take the truck, and it was only a little 510 Acco. It was actually cheaper to freight the car and trailer from Adelaide. And then fly and meet it.

And Tassy does not have a good reputation when subsidys have been offered. Bikes, cars speedway and circuit. I know a few that have been burnt.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 02 June 2011 - 10:23.

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:27

Left hook and all. It went to John Goss later. I believe Bowdens have restored that too and the Mustang goes out on that. Very trick, original car and Transporter. There was an article on it in Muscle Car.

#13 cavvy

cavvy

• 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 00:17

That might have been the case in some years but I do recall in the 80s a few teams electing not to take their transporters due to damage on previous trips.

When I went in the late 90s the deal was the road car went over at a subsidised rate (about $25 each way) but a race car on a trailer was classed as freight and was charged by weight and dimensions (about $600 return I think) I remember seeing a Vee sitting on the back of a one tonner to avoid the charge. I got the HQ on the boat as a road car with a Vicroads unregistered vehicle permit. (I don't think this is allowed now!)

I recall arranging free passage courtesy Brambles Sea Cargo for the John Bundy RX3 (ATCC) in about 1980 to save on the ferry costs. The Brambles freighter operation later went to Toll.