Photo

Research question; Bob Evans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:07

I have found that several drivers who started in lower grade cars before coming to our attention such as
James Hunt raced a Mini

Guy Edwards raced Minis

Ian Ashley raced a Sprite

Richard Lloyd racing a Triumph Spitfire

etc

But does anyone know if Bob Evans one time driver for Alan Mckechnie in F5000 ever raced an Austin Healey Sprite ? Or was this another Bob Evans in 1968 ?

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:46

Bob Evans started racing in a Spridget which he shared with Mike Maule the photographer and motor racing artist. Mike used to do visuals for me in the distant past, and I recall meeting him in Lester Piggott's luxurious home off Grosvenor Square; which he was photographing for an estate agent's 24 page sales brochure.

After the Spridget, Bob raced a Mk 11A Merlyn sponsored by the Mother Wouldn't Like It clothing shop in the King's Road - He was kind enough to lend the Merlyn to Paul Rendle and me so we could spend a day blasting round Castle Coombe, the only condition was we got the cracked exhaust welded, which we did, for free, at Hexagon of Highgate (I lived in the house to the right of the forecourt in Highgate North Hill). Feeling in a generous mood I painted it with white Sperex, the exhaust that is, not the car...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 01 June 2011 - 18:47.

#3 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:12

Apologies for thread hijack but would anyone have any images of racing Mk1 Sprites that I could see. Some of you here have been kind enough to allow me to add their images to the photographic database on UK registered Mk1 Sprites which can be seen here www.frogeye.smugmug.com where I have been able to reunite previous owners with their old cars as well as (re) discover unseen imagesd of RAM35's sister car RAM36. I have also very recently found that Mac McKenzies old Sprite 6TMT still exists.
Another couple of drivers who began in Sprites were Jonathan Palmer and Clay Regazoni