Photo

Jhon Illey to Ferrari next year?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:24

Well apologies if is already posted, but i see now in spanish newspaper "MARCA", that Illey will come next year to Ferrari.... Any notice about this?

Regards

Advertisement

#2 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:26

hope am not offending Mr. Illey with this question... but: Who is he??

#3 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:29

hope am not offending Mr. Illey with this question... but: Who is he??

Welll... Jhon Illey Head of Aerodinamics, McLaren Racing

:|

#4 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:41

According to Motorsport Magazin that was one of the rumours going around in Monaco:
http://www.motorspor...he-brodelt.html

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:43

Hmmm not buying it myself. According to his McLaren page, (and I have to say even being a Mac fan I haven't heard of him) Illey only joined McLaren last year from Ferrari, and now he wants to go back? Possible, but seems awfully strange for an engineer.

#6 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:49

He wouldn't be the first engineer to do a year or two at McLaren and then scoot off back to Ferrari...

#7 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:58

Hmmm not buying it myself. According to his McLaren page, (and I have to say even being a Mac fan I haven't heard of him) Illey only joined McLaren last year from Ferrari, and now he wants to go back? Possible, but seems awfully strange for an engineer.

Unless he worked at Mclaren as an 'agent' for Ferrari.;)

#8 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:04

People really not heard of him?

#9 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:15

People really not heard of him?

I know, i've heard of him and I have far less knowledge than a lot of peeps on here....

#10 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:16

I know, i've heard of him and I have far less knowledge than a lot of peeps on here....

Maybe we're missing something.

#11 Yolandy

Yolandy

• 168 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:16

I think one needs to at least get John Iley's name right!

#12 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:18

I think one needs to at least get John Iley's name right!

Nah, Google knows who he is with the misspelling included

http://www.google.co...h...138&bih=564

#13 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 553 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:29

Tombazis did it in the early 00's, he spent a couple of seasons at McLaren before moving back to Ferrari.

#14 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:10

If Iley was a Ferrari agent, then it appears McLaren flipped him sometime between the end of preseason testing and Melbourne.

#15 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:09

Does Iley want to go back to Italy or does Ferrari want him back after blaming the F60 on him? Because theres a big difference between the two.

#16 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:17

Why did they sack him if they want to bring him back and even promote him ?

#17 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:19

Or perhaps he's a double agent ;) .

#18 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:28

After the mistake with Fry, any McLaren employe that will leave the company, won't be able to join a F1 team for a year.

#19 Reverend

Reverend

• 278 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:54

Strange? It would make perfect sense from Ferraris point of view. How else would they get as much information from McLaren if they dont have an insider there? McLaren have fallen for this trick 3 times, they are suckers. Ferrari are smart, they would look for every loop hole or legal way to get anything they can from engineers to testing a car. I bet Ferrari wished Illey could have got into RB :lol: but the good thing about RB is that they are a close knit bunch and more importantly in a winning team. I also think they would be wary of employing just anyone unlike McLaren who appear short sighted. Maybe Marko was unot something when he accused Ferrari on spying on them :wave:

Advertisement

#20 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:59

John Iley, the former head of dynamics and wind tunnel at Ferrari, has rejoined McLaren.

He left the Italian team in July last year, with reports suggesting he was frustrated at the lack of competitiveness of the F60 car.

It is believed Iley, 42, has been on gardening leave for the past six months, with a McLaren spokesman confirming to Reuters that he began work at Woking this month.

Iley's Ferrari role until now was assumed by chief designer Nicholas Tombazis, but a full-time aerodynamics replacement is now in place.

Iley joined Ferrari from Renault in 2004, and has also worked for McLaren and Jordan.

http://www.totalf1.c...ejoins_McLaren/

:stoned:

#21 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:08

It's the Illey "Merry-go-round".

#22 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:09

Strange? It would make perfect sense from Ferraris point of view. How else would they get as much information from McLaren if they dont have an insider there? McLaren have fallen for this trick 3 times, they are suckers. Ferrari are smart, they would look for every loop hole or legal way to get anything they can from engineers to testing a car. I bet Ferrari wished Illey could have got into RB :lol: but the good thing about RB is that they are a close knit bunch and more importantly in a winning team. I also think they would be wary of employing just anyone unlike McLaren who appear short sighted. Maybe Marko was unot something when he accused Ferrari on spying on them :wave:

Well it would theoretically work both ways - he was at McLaren for enough time to give up a few Ferrari secrets. Assuming there was anything McLaren might wish to know... :well:

#23 Reverend

Reverend

• 278 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:26

Well it would theoretically work both ways - he was at McLaren for enough time to give up a few Ferrari secrets. Assuming there was anything McLaren might wish to know... :well:

Errm...you missed the point. I said Ferrari might have set up McLaren by putting the word out there that Illy was going to be laid off, only for McLaren to fall for the trick and rush to hire him.

#24 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:53

Errm...you missed the point. I said Ferrari might have set up McLaren by putting the word out there that Illy was going to be laid off, only for McLaren to fall for the trick and rush to hire him.

If Ferrari were that desperate to get an insider into McLaren, then it really is a worrying state of affairs. Why put a spy in Red Bull when you can get one over on your old rivals Mclaren and fight for the number two slot. :lol:

Illey would be a fool to go back to a team that lumped alot of the blame for the F60 at his door IMO. Ferrari are experiencing alot of management failures at the moment too so unless Illey is eyeing up the principle job, why consider?

#25 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:02

Staff movement is really common, and whereas you may thing everyone wants to work for McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari thats not necessarily the case as other teams offer very good/better benifits and remuneration packages.

#26 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:36

seems like a messenger of secrets...

(but this stuff is common in F1 no... )

#27 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:52

Iley's one car that is 'almost mediocre' and people want to pound him for lack of talent? He was the chief for aero at Ferrari from 2004.

:rolleyes:

Edited by ViMaMo, 02 June 2011 - 08:56.

#28 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:01

Staff movement is really common, and whereas you may thing everyone wants to work for McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari thats not necessarily the case as other teams offer very good/better benifits and remuneration packages.

Any offers recently?

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:04

Yes, I'd imagine that for most of the team staff there are more important things than just success, especially if they have families to provide for. I think many round here think of all F1 employees as they do drivers.

#30 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 348 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:02

But the lunch is still the best at Ferrari :p

Joking aside, success is quite relative in F1. So it's true that you can be a pretty successful employee at other teams bar the mentioned three.