Photo

Would you sign Robert Kubica?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you sign Robert Kubica? (187 member(s) have cast votes)

Abolutely yes! He has already proven that he is a top driver, no one better available, where should I sign?

1. Sure! He was fast before the accident, if the doctors say that he is fit, and all simulators and test drives in old cars confirm it, why not when nobody better available? (94 votes [50.27%])

Percentage of vote: 50.27%

2. Don't believe that he can be as good as he was before, must see at least him some races in lower series. (18 votes [9.63%])

Percentage of vote: 9.63%

3. Hmm... liked him, but that was an awfull accident. Let him prove in some midfielder, if he delievers, I can wait this year with testing some rookie or midfield driver. (41 votes [21.93%])

Percentage of vote: 21.93%

4. No chance. I will be better with some investion in a promising rookie, or reliable and prover experienced driver. (23 votes [12.30%])

Percentage of vote: 12.30%

5. I have a top driver already, the second driver will be No.2, really don't need RK. (6 votes [3.21%])

Percentage of vote: 3.21%

6. I have a top driver already, the second driver will be No.2, RK would be ideal. (5 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:30

Let say we believe (for a moment:) ) some totally unreliable rumours, that seem to suggest that Robert Kubica is now a free agent, and let say that we believe, that on some moment, Kubica will be fit enough to drive an F1 car (what we all really hope). No matter when, be it the end of this year, 2012, or even 2013.
So, the question, and the content of the poll is:
You are chief of a top team, be it RB, McLaren or Ferrari, it doesn't matter, and you have a free seat because, Hamilton went to RB/Massa went to another team/Button went to Ferrari/Webber went to Williams, whatever, you have now one top driver, and a free seat, and only some rookies (lower serries,other mid/backfield team F1) and expierienced drivers (like Trulli, Webber, Barrichello) are available for the second seat.
Would you sign now Robert, and if yes, in which situation?

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:36

Most definitely.
Give him a 2009 or 2008 car and set him loose around any track. If the times are competitive, sign him on spot.

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:43

If he proves he is fully fit then can't see signing him being a problem, it's the pre-contract talk I have difficulty believing.

#4 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:53

Much as I think it would be fabulous to see him back in an F1 car, I truly do not see him ever having the strength required to not just manhandle an F1 car around with power steering, but worse still if there was power steering failure...granted its rare, but Button just this past weekend had a car go very heavy on him on the formation lap to the grid... what if this happened to Kubica as he was giving the car a quick burst in his first race back?

I really wish him the fastest of recoveries, but I think this is potentially a much worse situation than Massa (who one might argue has never been the same driver since his spring incident), as these guys need the forearm strength of a gorilla.

I truly hope I am wrong, but that much nerve damage will surely cause a problem in an F1 car. Other race series or even rallying, maybe not a problem, but an F1 car....its gonna be tough. Good luck though Robert in the recovery.

#5 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:55

Sure, if he can run a couple of test days in an actual F1 car and put in competitive times

#6 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:56

Give him a test session to see if "fit enough to drive an F1 car" means "...at the same level as before the accident".

#7 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:57

Sure - after some REALLY thorough testing, including several days in a recent F1 car in a shootout against one of my regular drivers.

I am quite convinced the new model Massa simply isn't as fast as the old model. If that's due to the internal situation in Ferrari or the hit to his head and resulting brain surgery I don't know, but I would make CERTAIN Kubica is 110% fit and prepared.

#8 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,762 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:00

this seems to me like one of those 'what would you do if you were team boss?' things.

of course i would sign Robert. great driver. him and Nico Rosberg would make my lineup, off the top off my head.

#9 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:25

No, I would not sign him under any circumstances.

#10 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:35

Only if I was a midfield team like Sauber or Force India in need of a driver. Not if I was a top team because, a, I don't think he'll ever be quite the same, and b, I've never rated him that highly anyway. He seems to me like another Fisichella, and we all know what happened when he went to a top team.

#11 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:36

No, I would not sign him under any circumstances.

That doesn't suprise me :lol:

#12 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:38

this seems to me like one of those 'what would you do if you were team boss?' things.

It seems? Look at the opening post quote:

(...)You are chief of a top team(...)

so... yup, it seems so :lol:

#13 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:40

No. He's too ugly.

But seriously, I would want to see how he performs over a full season before making that decision. Who ever puts him in the cockpit for 2012 (if it comes to pass at all) will be making a pretty big leap of faith to assume he is as competitive as before.

Karl Wendlinger's precedent constantly comes to mind, even though it was a very different collection of injuries. Sometimes they are just never quite the same after. Even Felipe Massa may be such a case.

#14 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:44

What an unbelievably stupid poll. How do we know what his condition is and will be?

I rate him extremely high, but I'm missing the most obvious choice: "First, let's wait and see if everything will be right"........

#15 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:52

Hell no, he's damaged goods now. His recovery will take too long, and even if he regains full functionality of limbs I doubt he will ever be as good as he was before. Better to hire some rookie from GP2.

#16 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:57

Depends on the contract. If he is willing to sign a smaller contract for the first year, so he can prove he's as good as before then sure.

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:09

What an unbelievably stupid poll. How do we know what his condition is and will be?

I rate him extremely high, but I'm missing the most obvious choice: "First, let's wait and see if everything will be right"........

Completely agree. I'm not even sure why this thread needs a poll, actually. Can we not articulate our views well enough without that?

Old Kubica was awesome, and new Kubica might be too, but unless we see some evidence that new is the same as old, I really don't see how anyone could sign him up for serious money.

Nevertheless, I wish him all the best of luck for a full and speedy recovery - F1 is a poorer sport without him.

#18 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:16

Old Kubica was awesome, and new Kubica might be too, but unless we see some evidence that new is the same as old, I really don't see how anyone could sign him up for serious money.

Nevertheless, I wish him all the best of luck for a full and speedy recovery - F1 is a poorer sport without him.

:up: All that needs to be said. Strangely I seem to miss him more with time...

#19 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:23

What we know, is not the topic of the poll, simply because - we don't know, as I wrote:

(...)and let say that we believe, that on some moment, Kubica will be fit enough to drive an F1 car(...)

Yep, it's a "woulda coulda" thread, but IMHO I and some people can be interested, in the general opinion about such - nevertheless no pure fantasy - situation.

---
EDIT: naturally, by "no pure fantasy" I ment that it is quite propable that at some point Robert will be fit enough to drive an F1 car, and a free agent (it sounds better than "wihtout a contract" :) ), not - that it is quite propable that someone of us will became a top-team chief :lol:

Edited by alecc, 01 June 2011 - 23:26.

Advertisement

#20 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:28

Completely agree. I'm not even sure why this thread needs a poll, actually. Can we not articulate our views well enough without that?

Of course we can, but what is so bad in a overview of the general feeling among posters here?
Why make a poll in the plenty "Best drivers" threads? We can articulate our views :p

#21 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:29

He will never race competively again in F1.

Everyone wants to believe otherwise, in such a way that they actually are spreading total false hope, but not gonna happen unfortunately.

#22 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:39

Why make a poll in the plenty "Best drivers" threads? We can articulate our views :p

Because those threads are all about the numbers, percentages, and trying to reaffirm or augment a viewpoint or stance, and this topic isn't. It's your thread, so it's up to you, and I think the topic is a very good one worthy of discussion. I just question the value of having a little bar chart next to those options, when not everyone's view will be covered.

#23 Ise

Ise

• 218 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:10

For 2012 then Id be happy to give him a role, but to stand in at short notice this year then probably not. Hes spent a good handful of months recovering in hospital, the last thing Id imagine any manager would want to see is their star driver struggle after a long portion of time away from a cockpit which is entirely possible and its something we've seen before. (Moss for example.) Get him into the saddle for some tests and gradually try to get him comfortable in his office again, from there its winter testing and by then, he should be ready and fighting again.

#24 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:17

I have serious doubts that he will ever be the same again after such an accident. Kudos to him if he can prove me wrong.

#25 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:20

If I would sign him, I would definitely include an ironclad clause about not racing outside of Formula 1.

#26 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,815 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:26

This poll is in reality a voting on "how much I believe RK will completely recover from injuries". For any other meaning it's way too early. Robert probably has just only recovered enough to walk to bathroom himself and to take a leak without assistance of nurse. Let's give him some quite time out to put himself together.

#27 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:41

Let say we believe (for a moment:) ) some totally unreliable rumours, that seem to suggest that Robert Kubica is now a free agent, and let say that we believe, that on some moment, Kubica will be fit enough to drive an F1 car (what we all really hope). No matter when, be it the end of this year, 2012, or even 2013.
So, the question, and the content of the poll is:
You are chief of a top team, be it RB, McLaren or Ferrari, it doesn't matter, and you have a free seat because, Hamilton went to RB/Massa went to another team/Button went to Ferrari/Webber went to Williams, whatever, you have now one top driver, and a free seat, and only some rookies (lower serries,other mid/backfield team F1) and expierienced drivers (like Trulli, Webber, Barrichello) are available for the second seat.
Would you sign now Robert, and if yes, in which situation?

Yes.

He would be good replacement for Webber at RBR. Who else? Hamilton - #1 top choice - not available. Kobyashi - might be quite good too. di Resta - Mercedes contract already? Beumi - maybe, but as good as Kubica not sure?

Of course it will still be a problem that RK likes understeer and SV likes oversteer. High potential for drivers to be unhappy with the cars development!

But Kubica should be very welcome back into a major f1 team. :up:

Of course RK may not want to drive F1 anymore. Perhaps when he recovers fully, he would prefer to sign with Audi or Peugeot and do 5-6 LMS races per year and spend the rest of the time with his family instead of flying around the world?

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 02 June 2011 - 01:43.

#28 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:42

Kubica had his chance in F1. If he is a free agent, I don't expect he will be in high demand by the top teams. It would be cheeky of Renault to drop him after they allowed him to go rally racing. There is a huge question mark regarding his commitment to F1.

#29 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:46

No way me to vote here...

If I would sign him, I would definitely include an ironclad clause about not racing outside of Formula 1.

But if I were to sign him, well, this would not be a clause! I would rather see him race whatever he wants when it is possible, than keep him in one place when he wants to drive more.

#30 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:51

I would probably sign him today but with performance clauses in the contract that could allow me to sack him before the first race if necessary.

#31 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:50

He's what, 26? Forget about it. He'll be back - mark my words. And it's Robert, so, he'll be rockin' too. Just gonna take some time, but time is on his side - so yeah, I'd sign him up for when he's ready to roll ...

Never give up and never give in to negativity (especially when it tries to masquerade as "realism").

Edited by bourbon, 03 June 2011 - 03:57.

#32 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:46

His driving skills are world class, but if I was a team owner I wouldn't want it to be a nursing home serving as a team for salvaged drivers, so I would wait for him to recover from the accident and prove that he's as good as before.

#33 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:48

I would, for sure! That would be PR paradise to have such a great driver, after such a terrible accident :wave:

Edited by InfectedPumpkin, 03 June 2011 - 07:00.

#34 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:05

Again, this thread is from another Robert Kubica fan, with wishful thinking that he will automatically be able to return to f1 and race like he did before.

The problem is... This guy has gone through awful injuries, of which may cause him to not be able to return to F1 at all.

I think threads like this at this point is a waste of time. Let's wait a year or two and see how he heals, then we can start talking about if A or B will sign him etc.

You didn't read first post, did you?

#35 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:14

Give him the F10 and some days of test at Maranello, if he still "have it", hire him. In case Massa is out for next year of course. :)

#36 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:21

I've never seen what's so special with Kubica, he has never proved it either. I'm sure he's a good driver and a workaholic, but if you look at other perspectives he appears to be a bit faceless. I don't think he has leadership qualities and marketeers won't be happy with him. I might even say that his nationality isn't going for him either.

#37 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:44

Again, this thread is from another Robert Kubica fan, with wishful thinking that he will automatically be able to return to f1 and race like he did before.

The problem is... This guy has gone through awful injuries, of which may cause him to not be able to return to F1 at all.

I think threads like this at this point is a waste of time. Let's wait a year or two and see how he heals, then we can start talking about if A or B will sign him etc.

#38 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:54

Was he ever that good to begin with? He's been around a long time - if he was that good he wouldn't be in a Renault.

I think he's a solid driver but he's not this god like creature he seems to have become in the aftermath of his crash. After that accident he'll never have the skills he had before, shame but totally his own fault for driving rally cars when he is a paid F1 driver. No wonder Renault/Lotus have sacked him.

#39 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,175 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:56

Give him the F10 and some days of test at Maranello, if he still "have it", hire him. In case Massa is out for next year of course. :)

Really like your answer :) :up: .

Advertisement

#40 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:57

A top team boss? No way atm. I don't need that kind of gamble. I have one top driver already and plenty of money.

Any interest at this stage could only come from a midfield or even tailend team willing to gamble on possibly getting a top driver very cheaply. VERY cheaply.

But it's not a brain injury, nothing like Massa or Wendlinger, it depends on the functionality of his elbow and having feeling in his palm and fingertips - how much he gets back and how much it'll matter.

#41 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:04

No wonder Renault/Lotus have sacked him.

Did I miss something?

#42 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:14

I don't think he has leadership qualities

Well, Renault were raving about his motivation and leadership skills last year - including the staff that worked with Alonso. That suggests to me he does possess those qualities.

I've never seen what's so special with Kubica, he has never proved it either.

Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I can reel off several races off the top of my head that proved his skill.

2006 Hungarian Grand Prix - scoring points in his debut before being disqualified over a technicality
2006 Italian Grand Prix - podium in his third race
2007 Japanese Grand Prix - that wonderful battle with Massa in monsoon conditions. One of the best battles I can remember from recent years
2008 Monaco Grand Prix - simply flawless race
2008 Canadian Grand Prix - for his chain of qualifying-style laps after passing Heidfeld
2008 Japanese Grand Prix - took 2nd, kept Raikkonen behind him despite being in a significantly slower car
2009 Brazilian Grand Prix - took 2nd, was pushing Webber despite having a worse car and having an engine that was turned down
2010 Australian Grand Prix - a strong podium, keeping Hamilton behind for a number of laps
2010 Monaco Grand Prix - a stunning qualifying lap and a strong race to take 3rd, the first person to challenge the Red Bulls in qualifying all year
2010 European Grand Prix - that wonderful battle with Button on the first lap
2010 Singapore Grand Prix - proving overtaking is possible at Singapore (yes, he had a tyre advantage, but his overtake on Sutil was nothing short of breathtaking)
2010 Japanese Grand Prix - a stunning qualifying lap and an excellent start, looking at 2nd before his wheel falling off
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - overtook several drivers when Alonso and Hamilton couldn't, kept Hamilton behind him, took a strong finish after a disappointing qualifying session

I'm sure there are several more too - these are just the ones I remember well.

Edited by Muppetmad, 03 June 2011 - 08:29.

#43 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:16

Sure, if he can run a couple of test days in an actual F1 car and put in competitive times

:up:

Really, this is the same as any driver though. If they can prove they are quick, sign them.

#44 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:42

Going with the hand him a test and sign him if he' quick enough option. Although he would of course have to change his approach a bit, to try and move away from undesirable influences as that would stop some of the moaning & complaining.

#45 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:48

Nothing wishfull thinking, only a simple question "If he would be back, and if you would be a team boss, would you sign him?" You could in the same way assume that this thread is a wishful thinking that all of us will be team-bosses one day, nonsense. Dunno was it weird that I'm curious on opinions on that matter.

#46 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 14:41

I was actually hoping this might happen. Assuming he recovers enough to drive again, the best thing for him would be to get out of his Renault contract.

#47 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 15:03

Well, Renault were raving about his motivation and leadership skills last year - including the staff that worked with Alonso. That suggests to me he does possess those qualities.

Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I can reel off several races off the top of my head that proved his skill.

2006 Hungarian Grand Prix - scoring points in his debut before being disqualified over a technicality
2006 Italian Grand Prix - podium in his third race
2007 Japanese Grand Prix - that wonderful battle with Massa in monsoon conditions. One of the best battles I can remember from recent years
2008 Monaco Grand Prix - simply flawless race
2008 Canadian Grand Prix - for his chain of qualifying-style laps after passing Heidfeld
2008 Japanese Grand Prix - took 2nd, kept Raikkonen behind him despite being in a significantly slower car
2009 Brazilian Grand Prix - took 2nd, was pushing Webber despite having a worse car and having an engine that was turned down
2010 Australian Grand Prix - a strong podium, keeping Hamilton behind for a number of laps
2010 Monaco Grand Prix - a stunning qualifying lap and a strong race to take 3rd, the first person to challenge the Red Bulls in qualifying all year
2010 European Grand Prix - that wonderful battle with Button on the first lap
2010 Singapore Grand Prix - proving overtaking is possible at Singapore (yes, he had a tyre advantage, but his overtake on Sutil was nothing short of breathtaking)
2010 Japanese Grand Prix - a stunning qualifying lap and an excellent start, looking at 2nd before his wheel falling off
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - overtook several drivers when Alonso and Hamilton couldn't, kept Hamilton behind him, took a strong finish after a disappointing qualifying session

I'm sure there are several more too - these are just the ones I remember well.

But most drivers on the grid have had just as many or more good performances. And just to address some of the ones that you mentioned:

Hungary 06. Sure, he finished seventh. But he was lapped by Heidfeld, spun several times under no pressure, and the only cars behind him were either Midlands or Super Aguris or had reliability problems.
Italy 06: Good performance, but the BMW was as fast as the Renaults and Ferraris that weekend.
Japan 07: Good battle, but many other drivers would have done the same. And he got beaten by Massa.
Canada 08: Kubica had the better strategy and BMW used team orders.
Brazil 09: Wouldn't haave got near the podium if the usual front runners hadn't had so many problems in qualifying, Trulli hadn't taken out Sutil, BMW hadn't sent out Heidfeld at the wrong time in qualifying... in short, he was lucky. Ditto for Australia 2010.
Monaco 2010: The car was just very good there.
Europe 2010: There have been many battles like that on first laps. It just happened that that one was picked up by the cameras.
2010 Singapore: The cars Kubica passed were all going at least FOUR SECONDS a lap slower than him. That's almost Red Bull-HRT difference.
Abu Dhabi 2010: Slower than Petrov all weekend and only beat him on strategy.

It annoys me that whenever Kubica has luck people say it's skill. Whenever he makes a mistake people say it's bad luck.

#48 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 15:23

But most drivers on the grid have had just as many or more good performances. And just to address some of the ones that you mentioned:

Hungary 06. Sure, he finished seventh. But he was lapped by Heidfeld, spun several times under no pressure, and the only cars behind him were either Midlands or Super Aguris or had reliability problems.
Italy 06: Good performance, but the BMW was as fast as the Renaults and Ferraris that weekend.
Japan 07: Good battle, but many other drivers would have done the same. And he got beaten by Massa.
Canada 08: Kubica had the better strategy and BMW used team orders.
Brazil 09: Wouldn't haave got near the podium if the usual front runners hadn't had so many problems in qualifying, Trulli hadn't taken out Sutil, BMW hadn't sent out Heidfeld at the wrong time in qualifying... in short, he was lucky. Ditto for Australia 2010.
Monaco 2010: The car was just very good there.
Europe 2010: There have been many battles like that on first laps. It just happened that that one was picked up by the cameras.
2010 Singapore: The cars Kubica passed were all going at least FOUR SECONDS a lap slower than him. That's almost Red Bull-HRT difference.
Abu Dhabi 2010: Slower than Petrov all weekend and only beat him on strategy.

It annoys me that whenever Kubica has luck people say it's skill. Whenever he makes a mistake people say it's bad luck.

Hungary 06 - yes, he spun, but it was raining and it was his first race. To score points in your rookie race, regardless of the circumstances, is an achievement.
Italy 06 - yes, and he put the car in a good position in his third race. Many drivers have bottled it under such pressure, especially considering BMW were not that competitive in 2006.
Japan 07 - we know that's not true. Many drivers have failed catastrophically in less demanding battles in dry conditions.
Canada 08 - he also qualified better than Heidfeld to justify the strategy. What's your point?
Brazil 09 - when people make mistakes, you have to take advantage of them. Isn't beating people who make mistakes what racing is all about? Why criticise somebody who hasn't made a mistake when everyone else has?
Australia 10 - see above.
Monaco 10 - yes, that's why Petrov showed such promising pace. That also explains Robert's amazing qualifying lap.
Europe 10 - that's irrelevant; the fact that some battles aren't picked up doesn't detract from the fact that the battle was exciting and well executed.
Singapore 10 - I clearly pointed out that wasn't my point. The quality of the overtaking was my point, not the abundance or the fact that he was making overtakes at all.
Abu Dhabi 10 - rubbish. Beat him in FP1 and FP2, outpaced him in the race (which is what you have to do to beat somebody if they've qualified ahead of you). Wasn't slower than Petrov all weekend at all, don't exaggerate it.

By your logic, every victory in F1 history has been down to luck because either they had the best car or they won because of specific circumstances.

#49 Bouncing Pink Ball

Bouncing Pink Ball

• 758 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:07

In my role as imaginary team leader, I'd consider hiring Robert:

- Once he'd demonstrated his fitness by taking part in practise and testing. It's one thing to do well in a simulator, but I'd need to see how he does handling an F1 car over a typical race distance.
- After we'd had a chat, one-on-one, about his reasons for wanting to return as soon as possible. I'd want to be sure it was his decision alone, his choice made because he missed the sport, not because he was being pressured to get back in the car right away or because he was worried about fan expectations.
- Most importantly, I'd want to know that Robert was the driver we needed. Do we need a driver of his calibre or someone to fill a different sort of role? Would he make a good fit, personality wise, with the team. Would he like us, and would we like him.

If he impressed me in those three areas, I'd welcome him to the team. :up:

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 23:10

Not a thread for discussing fans. Not a forum for discussing fans. Please stop.