Photo

Felipe Massa - Post Monaco Views

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 DamienUK

DamienUK

• 87 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:46

I have created this thread as a counter balance to the Hamilton one which has blown beyond belief.

My far greater concern that has come out of this, is the abysmal interview given by Felipe Massa after the Monaco Grand Prix (link to the story is in the other thread). I was disgusted when I heard about it, and you may be very interested to here the viewpoints from F1 fans in the bars after the race.

I was talking to a lot of F1 fans in Monte Carlo (yes mainly British, so it may be a bit biased) but the anger towards him was so strong that I would be very interested to see if he would say the same thing had he been at Silverstone. The Ferrari drivers always get some good natured banter at the British GP (as Mclaren get in Monza and, not so good naturedly, in Barcelona). But I suspect there will be a pretty tough reception for him next month. It really has rattled the bones of lots of us at the track.

We cannot have a situation akin to a football match, where a player waves an imaginary card at the ref to try and get a player sent off. Massa is coming across in just this way - and one of the things I like about F1 is that it has always historically not suffered from the same issues that football does. But IMO, Felipe needs to concentrate on improving his utterly appalling performance this season before worrying about a driver who will be miles ahead of him (along with his team mate who is also in a different league to him) in every race from now on.

Advertisement

#2 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:48

He apparently wants to raise the issue of hamilton's driving standards at the briefing at canada...which frankly I find a bit over the top and a little pathetic.

#3 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:50

Massa is a lost desperate sheep after getting embarrassed Alonso. It's only natural that he resort to such crazy suggestions. He should do himself a favour and take back what he said because he will be the only to agree!

#4 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:52

He is like one of those dirty footballers that roll around on the floor and then wave an imaginary red card to the ref.

Hamilton has made him look silly so many times in his career that Massa probably has deep hatred for him.

Edited by ZooL, 02 June 2011 - 11:53.

#5 DamienUK

DamienUK

• 87 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:53

Watch out for a classic banner that the Macca Barmy Army are preparing for Silverstone................. All I will say is that it will raise a few giggles.

#6 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:58

Yea, if he makes it through the season I have a hard time seeing Ferrari keeping him for 2012. People on the formuns can say that Alonso wants/demmands a slow teammate all day, but in the end Ferrari need both cars performing.

Being a crybaby doesn't help either.

Edited by T-Mobile, 02 June 2011 - 11:59.

#7 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:01

Watch out for a classic banner that the Macca Barmy Army are preparing for Silverstone................. All I will say is that it will raise a few giggles.

Maybe we can ask silverstone to pump out that song some girl did after the 'white visor' affair!

#8 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:05

Massa's winging is more about Massas VERY POOR performance than Hamilton IMO. His final crash was not the resust of hamilton It was the result of him getting wide in the tunnel.

I thinkhis frustration stems form the fact that he will probably loose his job at the end of the year and he's trying to take it out on hamilton.

Several People in F1 (on reflection) now have said that Massa was at least in part responsible for the hamilton clash in Monacco (including Brundle and Davidson)

I Kinda hope Massa does bring it up in the breifing in canada because I doubt hamilton cares and i recon a lot of the other drivers wont care either. I certinally think if Bernie hads to choose withc one to loose form F1 it wouldnt be a long think!!!

#9 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:08

If Massa has a problem with Lewis' driving (which he should) he should just STFU in the press and ram him off the road next time he tries to pull an overtake like that.

#10 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:09

If Massa has a problem with Lewis' driving (which he should) he should just STFU in the press and ram him off the road next time he tries to pull an overtake like that.

Arguably thats what he did ;)

#11 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:13

I think saying that he will get a bad reception at Silverstone is a bit over the top, everyone will have forgotten about it and moved on by then - including Massa hopefully. Yes, Hamilton had a nightmare weekend but he's not the first driver to have one like that.

Massa may have got hit through little fault of his own (IMO), but that doesn't change the fact that he was running between two drivers who had nightmare pitstops on merit.

#12 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:15

I think saying that he will get a bad reception at Silverstone is a bit over the top, everyone will have forgotten about it and moved on by then - including Massa hopefully. Yes, Hamilton had a nightmare weekend but he's not the first driver to have one like that.

Massa may have got hit through little fault of his own (IMO), but that doesn't change the fact that he was running between two drivers who had nightmare pitstops on merit.

Im going to Silverstone this year supporting ferrari. Do ferrari fans usually get a very bad reception at silverstone?

#13 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:16

[quote name='KateLM' date='Jun 2 2011, 13:13' post='5075026']

Massa may have got hit through little fault of his own (IMO), but that doesn't change the fact that he was running between two drivers who had nightmare pitstops on merit.[/quote]

Isn't that a little contradictory?

#14 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:17

If he was interviewed after hearing what Hamilton had to say after the race about him then I think it's understandable. If not, not.

#15 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:18

He apparently wants to raise the issue of hamilton's driving standards at the briefing at canada...which frankly I find a bit over the top and a little pathetic.

Maybe he'll bring pictures....

#16 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:18

Im going to Silverstone this year supporting ferrari. Do ferrari fans usually get a very bad reception at silverstone?

Not at all in fact everyone is really nice to one another...

#17 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:19

Isn't that a little contradictory?

I think KateLM is saying that Massa was only quick enough to be racing with those who lost heaps of time in botched pitstops...

#18 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

haha :rotfl: Wouldn't be suprised.

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

HAHAHHAHAHAHA I hope so!!! Learnt form the best ;)

Advertisement

#20 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

:lol:

#21 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

If he was interviewed after hearing what Hamilton had to say after the race about him then I think it's understandable. If not, not.

But what about raising the issue in the driver's briefing?

Be quite funny if lewis raised the issue of massa and maldo's driving, that would cause a stir!

#22 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:20

Not at all in fact everyone is really nice to one another...

Oh good :up:

#23 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

While you're at it, don't forget to start other counter threads:
- Maldonado after Monaco thread
- stewards after Monaco thread
- white people that don't like Hamilton after Monaco (jokingly of course)
you Hamilton zealot.

I wish that in every single race until the end of his career someone tries exactly the same overtaking moves on Hamilton that he did to Massa and Maldonado. So that he will never finish the race. And after each race I expect people that defend him, praise his courageous driving and blame Massa and Maldonado to start similar threads putting the blame on Hamilton. It's only fair, right? Unless of course they are stinking hypocrites.

Edited:

Massa:
"Unfortunately, there was the accident with Hamilton, which put me out of the running: a real shame, but there's little point in going over it again. I said what I wanted to about the incident after the race and now it's not worth wasting more time over it, so it's better to look ahead."

Good idea. :up:

Edited by iotar, 02 June 2011 - 12:24.

#24 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,628 posts

Not at all! Been a few times now, never had any problems :)

If you're going general admission, be prepared to be at the gates LONG before they open so you can make the mad dash with your mates to a pre-agreed position (and then stay there until after the race).. Every time I've been the viewing areas for the general public have gotten fewer and with increasingly "worse" views of the action..

Seems the powers that be only want to cater for those with numbered seats..

Anyway its always a good race with a great atmosphere.. Walking around on Friday is the best time to see the cars from all around the track and to choose your position for Quali/Race...

#25 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:22

Oh good :up:

Ive been every year supporting the Finnish drivers in what ever team they happen to be in and have always been welcomed. Dont let the polirised oppinion of this forum worry you 99.9% of F1 fans are really nice to oneanother depite who they support and follow.

There are always a lot of Ferrari Fans at the BritishGP - MAybe nat as manay as other races but sill pleanty.

#26 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:22

Not at all! Been a few times now, never had any problems :)

If you're going general admission, be prepared to be at the gates LONG before they open so you can make the mad dash with your mates to a pre-agreed position (and then stay there until after the race).. Every time I've been the viewing areas for the general public have gotten fewer and with increasingly "worse" views of the action..

Seems the powers that be only want to cater for those with numbered seats..

Anyway its always a good race with a great atmosphere.. Walking around on Friday is the best time to see the cars from all around the track and to choose your position for Quali/Race...

Good to hear Thanks, Im in Grandstand village A so get a good view of the start of the race.

#27 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:23

While you're at it, don't forget to start other counter threads:
- Maldonado after Monaco thread
- stewards after Monaco thread
- white people that don't like Hamilton after Monaco (jokingly of course)
you Hamilton zealot.

I wish that in every single race until the end of his career someone tries exactly the same overtaking moves on Hamilton that he did to Massa and Maldonado. So that he will never finish the race. And after each race I expect people that defend him, praise his courageous driving and blame Massa and Maldonado to start similar threads putting the blame on Hamilton. It's only fair, right? Unless of course they are stinking hypocrites.

Pretty Much ;)

#28 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:24

But what about raising the issue in the driver's briefing?

Be quite funny if lewis raised the issue of massa and maldo's driving, that would cause a stir!

How many people on this thread would defend Lewis 'cos he was a bit emotional after the race? ;)

Edit: Me for one, at least to some degree.

Edited by trogggy, 02 June 2011 - 12:24.

#29 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:24

Good to hear Thanks, Im in Grandstand village A so get a good view of the start of the race.

If youve never been to an F1 race before youre in for a treat nothing can prepare you for the awesomeness of 20+ f1 cars on the startline...

#30 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:25

Massa should shut up and concentrate on himself, and maybe for the first time in his career own up for making a cock up. This kid is unbelievable he must be the first driver in F1 history to have never made a mistake but it happened because of the car...or another driver...or the earth's gravity disappeared for the split second he lost control and hit a barrier. What the hell he was doing on the outside line of the tunnel is anyone's guess quite frankly I don't even think he realised where he was on track because if 99% of the general F1 viewers know "you don't get off line in the tunnel" then how can a driver that has driven Monaco in an F1 car for the past 10 years of his life make such a stupid error and worse, blame it on another driver that had nothing to do with his crash? Quite frankly he's going down the path of failed F1 driver who had one good season and has since lost his way and is going to be lost in the F1 wilderness like Klien/Pantano/Villeneuve etc cos nobody will want him just like nobody wants those other drivers.

If he keeps his drive after this season then if I was a Ferrari fan I would have some big concerns about how the team is being run because he shouldn't even be in the car this year already.

#31 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:26

If youve never been to an F1 race before youre in for a treat nothing can prepare you for the awesomeness of 20+ f1 cars on the startline...

No i havnt its my first time and i cant wait mate :)

#32 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:27

Im sure Massa will have his little hissy fit a couple of people will try and put the boot in and nothing will change at all. How many thinsed did the winge and moan about Michael. and I Bet he sat there and i bet it meant as much to him as it'll mean to hamilton.

#33 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:27

I wish that in every single race until the end of his career someone tries exactly the same overtaking moves on Hamilton that he did to Massa and Maldonado. So that he will never finish the race. Good idea. :up:

You mean someone should try and overtake him at the hairpin at monaco?

....oh

Edited by robefc, 02 June 2011 - 12:27.

#34 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:28

It was the same in 2008, making a big fuss about Hamilton's 'driving standards'.

In my opinion, it's really very simple: Massa can't beat Hamilton on merit and he knows it, so he's trying other methods to level the playing field.

#35 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:29

Massa lashing out like that was just as "inappropriate" as Hamilton's

Only one dude has dominated the headlines though.

#36 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:29

No i havnt its my first time and i cant wait mate :)

Went for the first time in 09, which as a lewis fan is as bad a race as it can get...still absolutely loved the whole 3 days! :)

Remember lewis getting alongside fred in front of us (luffield) and the whole crowd going nuts...it was for like 16th place or something!

only 5 weeks to go!

Edited by robefc, 02 June 2011 - 12:29.

#37 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:30

How many people on this thread would defend Lewis 'cos he was a bit emotional after the race?;)

Edit: Me for one, at least to some degree.

I don't think this is an issue about post race in the heat of the moment statements.

It sounded like autosport's understanding is he will raise the issue in canada.

#38 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:31

Massa lashing out like that was just as "inappropriate" as Hamilton's

Only one dude has dominated the headlines though.

I think people have sotped listening. Wolf Wolf...

#39 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:32

Went for the first time in 09, which as a lewis fan is as bad a race as it can get...still absolutely loved the whole 3 days! :)

Remember lewis getting alongside fred in front of us (luffield) and the whole crowd going nuts...it was for like 16th place or something!

only 5 weeks to go!

Im counting down the days :) Just hoping now ferrari can find a bit of performance before the British GP.

Advertisement

#40 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:32

I don't think this is an issue about post race in the heat of the moment statements.

It sounded like autosport's understanding is he will raise the issue in canada.

Ah. I'll wait and see then, and then ressurect this thread to call him a little crybaby loser or summat. :p

#41 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:35

Link :confused:

#42 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:37

Massa has a cheek to criticise anyone's driving. I well remember Silverstone in 2008...Massa gave us all a good laugh that day. :p Personally I think Massa's career has been on a downward spiral since Alonso joined Ferrari. He can't compete with Alonso and to be honest I can't see him staying at Ferrari after this season. He will either go to a smaller team or retire.

#43 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:39

If I were Massa, I wouldn't be looking for a drive at Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren/Mercedes, cos he won't get one, if I were him I'd go get Brazilian backing, and show up at Renault or Williams. Or do a switch with Perez at Sauber (Perez is in the Ferrari Young Driver Academy)..or was...whatever. If I were him I'd go to Renault if that was possible cos if he waits he might be without a drive altogether.

#44 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:39

Massa has a cheek to criticise anyone's driving. I well remember Silverstone in 2008...Massa gave us all a good laugh that day. :p Personally I think Massa's career has been on a downward spiral since Alonso joined Ferrari. He can't compete with Alonso and to be honest I can't see him staying at Ferrari after this season. He will either go to a smaller team or retire.

I agree - his whole outburst appears to me to be more him moaning about being thourly owned for the last couple of years - and now he can vent at Hamilton who loads of the other drivers dont particuly seem to like. I think hes trying to find comfort amoungst his peers.

#45 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:40

If I were Massa, I wouldn't be looking for a drive at Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren/Mercedes, cos he won't get one, if I were him I'd go get Brazilian backing, and show up at Renault or Williams. Or do a switch with Perez at Sauber (Perez is in the Ferrari Young Driver Academy)..or was...whatever. If I were him I'd go to Renault if that was possible cos if he waits he might be without a drive altogether.

I was thinkinging Williams or Sauber.. I not sure Lotus Renaut Lotus Louts would take him. MAybe Follow Glock/Truli to Virgin/Chaterham Lotus

#46 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:45

Im counting down the days :) Just hoping now ferrari can find a bit of performance before the British GP.

Well there we differ! :p

Unless macca are much quicker and ferrari get enough pace to beat rb...in which case I'm right with you!

F1 is nothing like footy by the way, friendly banter, obviously overwhelming british/macca/lewis/jenson fans but fans of F1 first anf foremost, vettel got a great reception in 08 despite the disappointing result for brits.

Edited by robefc, 02 June 2011 - 12:45.

#47 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:46

Link :confused:

magazine, page 6 or something like that

#48 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,780 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:48

well hamilton called massa 'ridiculously stupid', so i think if someone called me that i might be a little miffed.

but i do think maybe complaining to the stewards in canada is a little too far.

but to those that think he is performing badly, he was on the way to 4th in Turkey and Monaco, and probably a podium in Malaysia when Ferrari pitstops ruined it. they need to sort that out.
its a little fickle when 3 weeks ago, Felipe was back, and woohoo! and oh Alonso will have a tough time, now he is rubbish again.

get the pitstops and the car sorted, he will do very well

#49 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:52

Well there we differ! :p

Unless macca are much quicker and ferrari get enough pace to beat rb...in which case I'm right with you!

F1 is nothing like footy by the way, friendly banter, obviously overwhelming british/macca/lewis/jenson fans but fans of F1 first anf foremost, vettel got a great reception in 08 despite the disappointing result for brits.

Haha i hope mclaren and ferrari can challenge, make it a more exciting race. Nice to hear that most people get a good reception. Looking forward to it more now :up:

#50 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:54

well hamilton called massa 'ridiculously stupid', so i think if someone called me that i might be a little miffed.

but i do think maybe complaining to the stewards in canada is a little too far.

but to those that think he is performing badly, he was on the way to 4th in Turkey and Monaco, and probably a podium in Malaysia when Ferrari pitstops ruined it. they need to sort that out.
its a little fickle when 3 weeks ago, Felipe was back, and woohoo! and oh Alonso will have a tough time, now he is rubbish again.

get the pitstops and the car sorted, he will do very well

In his opinion. He'd of had to get past webber and hamilton behind him was cosidderably quicker. Also ther were Sauber and Force India and a Lotus all ahead.
Massa is underperforming IMO and i think most people would agree.