Photo

F1 2011

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

#551 zold

zold

• 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 17:42

so i got bored of playing racing games with the keyboard and picked up a logitech driving force gt for a bargain £30 - which i could probably profit on seeing as it's basically unused.
anyway tried a few laps of spa, in which many a front wing perished.
if there is any relation between simulated driving and the real thing then these f1 drivers are worth every whiney penny they are paid. How do they even do eau rouge for 2 hours straight!!! Huge fun.
haven't played enough of 2011 to compare, but it looks just as irritating and fun at the same time.

Edited by zold, 13 October 2011 - 17:43.

Advertisement

#552 naiku

naiku

• 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 16:56

Well, I traded mine in. Tried playing it some more last night, and while I do like the game, I barely had time to finish a single race, got annoyed with the penalties again (was leading Canada, spun on second to last corner, and got a penalty for blocking when I was simply trying to turn around).

Funny in a way that I did not even race on all the tracks, only tried a single car, but like I previously posted I was just not having that much fun, which to me gaming is all about. Maybe when used copies start hitting the shelf I will pick up a cheap copy down the line, but for now I will be playing Forza 4.

$60 to buy the game, $25 on trade in barely 3 weeks later!! Mental note: Borrow/play someone else copy of a game first.

#553 Alonso111

Alonso111

• 59 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 18:02

Just got the game today PC version , is their any way to play this without leaving the dvd in the dvd drive all the time? Like running the .iso off a virtual drive?

#554 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:30

Just got the game today PC version , is their any way to play this without leaving the dvd in the dvd drive all the time? Like running the .iso off a virtual drive?

yes, but youll need to crack it, which is not legal.

Unless it runs on steam, which i dont think it does?

#555 Alonso111

Alonso111

• 59 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:47

Retail can't be activated on steam & i dont want to use any cracks , i hope their is a patch for this soon.

#556 klyster

klyster

• 4,165 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:38

gamecopyworld.com has no-cd/dvd patches.

It assumes you already own the game, I used it for F1 2010, GRID and a few others with no problems, I own the games too.

Keep in mind that the files listed on this page do NOT circumvent the Serial Protection!

A valid/legal Serial is still required to be able to play this game!!!

#557 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 18:33

Second season completed. Winning 17 of 19 races isn't exactly the challenge its supposed to be. Too bad.

#558 Alonso111

Alonso111

• 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 21:23

gamecopyworld.com has no-cd/dvd patches.

It assumes you already own the game, I used it for F1 2010, GRID and a few others with no problems, I own the games too.

I do own the game , I dont like installing from sites like gamescopyworld, you can never be sure if the files are clean, i will just wait for any official patch or some other workaround.

#559 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,529 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:16

Second season completed. Winning 17 of 19 races isn't exactly the challenge its supposed to be. Too bad.

Turn of assists inc TC, 11/11, HUD, and cockpit view then. Oh and don't use flashbacks.

Advertisement

#560 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,092 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:28

Turn of assists inc TC, 11/11, HUD, and cockpit view then. Oh and don't use flashbacks.

I do that in a force india and still winning the championship..

#561 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:35

Oh and don't fast forward time in qualy either! the times become simulated and generally they are slower than if you just let the AI do their thing, yes sitting around for Q1 is dull but it makes it worth it, i qualy'd P4 in melbourne & P1 in Sepang doing this, stopped and i've been struggling to get into Q3 since, although i only do one run in session to save tyres.

#562 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 981 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:19

Play blindfolded but i dont understand why they dont add a uber difficulty for those who are just ridiculously good

#563 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 18:16

Wouldn't complain about difficulty if I'd been making it easier for myself.
Aids off except for automated gears (cba on the X360 controller). Huds still on though, how would that make it harder? I don't get the relevant info from my engineer so the HUD provides better info. Would be better for immersion to turn it off though I suppose. I always race cockpit view. I use flashbacks though, for those horrid backmarkers that start swerving right ahead of you and take you out just as you are about to lap them.

Oh and I don't use suspension settings higher than 8.

It was my second season and I was in the Ferrari. It was so bloody good I won all those races. I intentionally crashed out of Monaco because I can't seem to finish the race in one piece. And I finished second in the other race. Only one I lost on merit.

I took some poles throughout the season but had plenty rubbish qualifying sessions as well (some 18th place starts, especially in rainy qualis). The races are just too easy.

Oh and what I don't like is you can miss your qualifying target by going for optimum race strategy.

And while on my rant, if I want the full driver's experience I want at least the full experience on track. That means also a parade lap where you're responsible for keeping the heat in the tyres, possibly even finding the clutch bite point. I can see letting the driver actually drive to the grid would be too much, seeing how big the crowd usually is on the grid, but starting from the start of the parade lap should be easily doable.

#564 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,388 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 18:49

I've won 5 in 5 so far in my Williams (season 2), where my teammate has been languishing down in 23rd in qualifying!! I may just have been getting too greedy with the 11/11 'cheat'... The difference it's made between using it in the Virgin in season 1 (won 1 race, but it was Abu Dhabi where I've never lost) and now the Williams is night and day!

But I'll add this: I've still been enjoying it. The car feels so planted, and so good through the steering wheel that it's hard to go back! I've not dominated the races either, 2 have been wet and really difficult. AUS was a breeze Vettel-style, as was Turkey. Alonso gave me a good run in Barcelona, finished 3 seconds behind me after I took a while to heat up the prime tyres.

It'd just be nice if this feeling you get and ability to push still didn't translate into leading pace in a Williams. They didn't score many points in season 1 (that's why Rubens is so slow) so the car shouldn't be that great...

Edited by DanardiF1, 19 October 2011 - 18:52.

#565 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:24

I've won 5 in 5 so far in my Williams (season 2), where my teammate has been languishing down in 23rd in qualifying!! I may just have been getting too greedy with the 11/11 'cheat'... The difference it's made between using it in the Virgin in season 1 (won 1 race, but it was Abu Dhabi where I've never lost) and now the Williams is night and day!

But I'll add this: I've still been enjoying it. The car feels so planted, and so good through the steering wheel that it's hard to go back! I've not dominated the races either, 2 have been wet and really difficult. AUS was a breeze Vettel-style, as was Turkey. Alonso gave me a good run in Barcelona, finished 3 seconds behind me after I took a while to heat up the prime tyres.

It'd just be nice if this feeling you get and ability to push still didn't translate into leading pace in a Williams. They didn't score many points in season 1 (that's why Rubens is so slow) so the car shouldn't be that great...

yeah i havent used the cheat haha, 8/8 suspension at the most :)

it's a very fun game though :)

#566 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,034 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:30

A stephen hood interview from 2001............some much has changed yet so little is different!

http://www.f1gamers....t...p?id=73&p=1

If you didn't know the date you'd think he was talking about 2011, still spouting the same sales pitch 10 years down the line.

6. How did you react when you found out that although Formula One 2001 was released with rave reviews, it was actually very very buggy and "fans" reaction was negative?

Stephen Hood: As far as the fans opinions were it wasn't surprising. Don't forget I am one of the biggest F1 game fans which often led to me openening my big mouth! I knew what needed to be done but none of us are dictators, there are over thirty people on such projects and that's before you factor in really useful opinions from managers and marketing! J. I knew there were many, many things I and others were unhappy with when it was released but I was surprised at how buggy the game was.

Why where certain "promised" features in the 2001 game (mid race saves, twenty two cars in two player mode as indicated on the back of the box). omitted despite some reviews and previews indicating these where in?

Stephen Hood: Promised? I never promised anything! J These were all features we intended to include, developers (the actual people that make the games) never intentionally try and mislead the public. These features, especially the mid-race saves are something I desperately wanted to see in the final game. I, like many others, just could not spend the time playing a full length race without saves which means we miss out on the cool elements of strategy, pit-stops, tyre wear etc. It was shame. Developers often get early previews of box artwork, front and back and things like this have been pointed out way, way before the game hits the shelves allowing such packaging errors to be changed. Why it wasn't changed I have no idea.

Press are only too aware that to review a game shortly before it comes out they must rely on the version they are given. They are also provided with information as to whats not finished and due to go in. You cant blame them.

:rotfl:

Edited by olliek88, 25 October 2011 - 16:37.

#567 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:09

Has somebody played the game on PS3 and PC, could you feel any difference (of course using the same controller, i.e. wheel)? Better feedback, car control, realism,...? Not sure which one to buy.

#568 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,034 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 15:47

Has somebody played the game on PS3 and PC, could you feel any difference (of course using the same controller, i.e. wheel)? Better feedback, car control, realism,...? Not sure which one to buy.

Played both and i'd recommend PC every time, the FFB is a bit better but visually the PS3 version is woeful in comparison, it looks as though theres been no Anti-Aliasing done at all and the FPS is not only bad but inconsistent, i found it unplayable on certain tracks, not wanting to be a drama queen but.......for the love of god don't get the PS3 version!!

:lol:

#569 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:17

Played both and i'd recommend PC every time, the FFB is a bit better but visually the PS3 version is woeful in comparison, it looks as though theres been no Anti-Aliasing done at all and the FPS is not only bad but inconsistent, i found it unplayable on certain tracks, not wanting to be a drama queen but.......for the love of god don't get the PS3 version!!

:D
Thanks for your advice! Read a few reviews yesterday and they basically said the same, so I better go for the PC version..

#570 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 1,930 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 18:28

I have both. PC version is a lot prettier, but the PS3 version is better if you want it for multiplayer.

#571 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:23

:up: Thanks again, still prefer the PC version.

#572 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,882 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 00:23

Ive already given up in career mode - started my second season running 5 stop strategies in a 50% race while driving for Williams just to make it challenging :down: Pretty much only race it online now. If you're clean and race without assists add me on psn - 'Shaggy_Alonso'.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 01 November 2011 - 00:24.

#573 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 16:53

I am starting to hit the limit too I suppose.

I am using a PS3 controller, and last night I put my Williams on pole and had a lights to flag victory at Catalunya. I had the AI set to professional, does anyone know if that is the highest setting?

#574 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,882 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 23:33

I am starting to hit the limit too I suppose.

I am using a PS3 controller, and last night I put my Williams on pole and had a lights to flag victory at Catalunya. I had the AI set to professional, does anyone know if that is the highest setting?

There's one above it, either called expert or legend or something. Race without assists and it will help sustain your interest (not to mention make you a better driver, assuming you do use them as youre a pad user)

#575 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 23:44

End of run of this game for me now. Shall be getting Modern Warfare 3 tomorrow and that will take over my game playing life for the foreseeable future.

Saying that, I was starting to get bored of it. Career was a bit too easy and online was either rubbish races or hardly finding anyone else.

#576 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:20

End of run of this game for me now. Shall be getting Modern Warfare 3 tomorrow and that will take over my game playing life for the foreseeable future.

Same here, but instead ive been consumed by BF3, NBA Jam and Drag race (iphone app). I might revisit my career in F1, im only up to China and changed from 20% to 3 lap races, just to get through the game. Playing on Legend, no assists and full penalties makes it equally interesting and frustrating.

Edited by Ninjastar, 08 November 2011 - 05:24.

#577 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 14:48

There's one above it, either called expert or legend or something. Race without assists and it will help sustain your interest (not to mention make you a better driver, assuming you do use them as youre a pad user)

I play with no assists although I did turn tire simulation off because I couldn't seem to work out a strategy and not get sent to the back. Although I have to revisit this now that I've improved. So I guess for now I'll bump the AI difficulty up to Legend and see how I do.

I really love the driving, and there are times where I even have good battles with the AI, although its inconsistent. Trading games just losses money so I'd never get rid of it.

#578 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:47

After lots of negative feedback I kept back from buying F1 2011.

Today it's on a 50% sale on steam (which is usually a sign that the game did not perform well).

Im tempted to give a try, or is the 20 eur price tag still too high?

BTW, steam is also advertising a bundle with Dirt 3 for 28 eur

#579 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,388 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:40

After lots of negative feedback I kept back from buying F1 2011.

Today it's on a 50% sale on steam (which is usually a sign that the game did not perform well).

Im tempted to give a try, or is the 20 eur price tag still too high?

BTW, steam is also advertising a bundle with Dirt 3 for 28 eur

I loved both titles, Dirt 3 is probably the best rallying title for years, and IMO most of the negative feedback (not on here though) has just been childish moaning. At least on autosport you get more mature opinions. I'd still recommend getting both.

Advertisement

#580 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 18:12

Well, I got F1 2011 today and I am already hooked. It's very very realistic. (see reasons below)

First of all, there is a main menu when you start the game for the first time!

But the best was yet to come, I went to time trial on the T128, to my horror I realized that while the car had brakes and aceleration in good condition, it had no steering at all! The Trulli Power Steering Curse is also featured!

Seems this one will need some tweaking as well for my wheel but it was fun as hell having no steering in Jarno's virtual car.

#581 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,884 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 22:21

Steam version of F1 2011 currently under £15 in one of their midweek specials.

#582 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:32

Well, got it last week and it's not bad. Hate the controls and the way the car handles (big difference from 2010, which I dumped after a while) coming from rFactor, but it's good fun once you get the hang of it. Did a 20% race at Abu-Dhabi in a Williams, KERS+DRS is lots of fun!

#583 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 20:42

Sort of a desperate plea.

After trying several configurations it seems it's either a realist heavy steering or a really loose one (that feels like cheating or playing with a pad).

Is there a medium option configuration that keeps some of the FFB but doesnt require a ton of effort to just turn?

#584 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 19:09

Can anyone help?

Single player mode the game works fine (this is on PC)

Whenever I try and play multiplayer, it crashes.

I've turned my graphics settings down and Vsync off. Tried everything suggested by nothing! Firewall is fine.

#585 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,499 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:08

I play with no assists although I did turn tire simulation off because I couldn't seem to work out a strategy and not get sent to the back. Although I have to revisit this now that I've improved. So I guess for now I'll bump the AI difficulty up to Legend and see how I do.

I really love the driving, and there are times where I even have good battles with the AI, although its inconsistent. Trading games just losses money so I'd never get rid of it.

Yeah, definitely try legend. The real test will be with online players.

Edited by Bunchies, 18 November 2011 - 10:37.

#586 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,529 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 14:47

2 months in and whilst the handling is better than 2010 and the car is a challenge to drive against the clock with traction control off, it is definately easier in career mode than 2010. McLaren on pole by 1.5 sec + in Australia and Malaysia. And my times are only just top 1000 on TT...

A tip. People have said wet weather driving was harder this year than 2010. But I've realised that the car set up is WAY more sensitive to wet weather. Wet set ups on wet tracks are the difference this year.

#587 Ibsey

Ibsey

• 99 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 15:43

I got F12011 last week & I have to say that this is the best F1 game I've played since GP4 (although admittely I've not played rfactor or i racing). IMO the car handing is a massive improvement over F12010. Not only does it feel more planted at high speed when the downforce kicks in, as one would expect an F1 car to be. But I find you can use other techinques like, sliding the car (with TC turned off) in the low speed tight corners to help turn in, or using kerbs in a certain way, or cadence braking etc. I loved the intro also.

A tip. People have said wet weather driving was harder this year than 2010. But I've realised that the car set up is WAY more sensitive to wet weather. Wet set ups on wet tracks are the difference this year.

Do you mind expanding on how the wet set-ups on wet tracks are different please? I reason I ask, is because, in my 1st wet race (proper wet not intermediates), I put a softer suspension setting on the car. However I the car handled poorely, AI cars were passing me left right & centre & every time I touched the brakes they locked up (even on the lowest brake sensetivity setting). Since then I've tried higher suspesion settings which does seems to work better, but the car is still a bit to lively (both underbraking & change of direction) in the wet, which leads me to believe that there is more to be found in the set-up.

Therefore is it a question of just putting max DF on the car (regardless of track) & trying to build heat into the tyres?

Or is there anything else that you have to do to a wet car setup (specific for F12011), that you might not usually expect to do in real life (i.e. put a higher suspesion setting on rather than a lower one on).

Thanks in advance.

Ibsey

#588 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,092 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:27

played a wet race online the other week with traction control, felt like it was a dry race to be honest, i have no idea how people spin with traction in a dry race, is it possible? :p

#589 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,572 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:18

You're really exaggerating too much. I play on the PS3 and have no issues with the graphics, and I've nver had severe FPS drops.

#590 Leigh

Leigh

• 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:38

You're really exaggerating too much. I play on the PS3 and have no issues with the graphics, and I've nver had severe FPS drops.

Monaco is a big problem when participating on a PS3 console. Luckily problems only really occur down the start/finish straight and pitlane respectively. I would have purchased it for the PC ordinarily, but micro-stuttering was a big issue in F1 2010 due to a dual-graphic setup. I decided on just going with a straight console version and whilst the graphics are not awful by any means, you are more likely to have a better refined graphical experience on your computer. That is if your computer is capable of running the specification required otherwise it is a null argument to begin with. =]

#591 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 18:30

I've had FPS drops, but only small ones at Monaco going down to Rascasse (I don't think the processor likes you going that close to the pits and pit straight on the other side!!!) and that was happening more frequently in the 2010 edition.

#592 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,767 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:10

I've had FPS drops, but only small ones at Monaco going down to Rascasse (I don't think the processor likes you going that close to the pits and pit straight on the other side!!!) and that was happening more frequently in the 2010 edition.

Agreed the frame judder is relatively tiny compared to F1 2010.

#593 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 3,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:39

Forget about all you have read before. This game is great with the right bunch of people. The official patch has taken away setup bugs, now you can just use a reasonable setup and race in a fair platform without any massive handicap like before. And once the cars are more or less equal, you start getting tight races, and you start to see why the game is worth. Thumbs up from a previous basher of the crappy old game :clap: .

#594 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,882 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:17

Forget about all you have read before. This game is great with the right bunch of people. The official patch has taken away setup bugs, now you can just use a reasonable setup and race in a fair platform without any massive handicap like before. And once the cars are more or less equal, you start getting tight races, and you start to see why the game is worth. Thumbs up from a previous basher of the crappy old game :clap: .

If you find yourself a co-op partner who is on the same level as you and you get along with, it's a real blast :tup:

#595 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 566 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 14:50

never got into f12011, put it in the ps3 twice and its gathered dust since then. imo it looked terrible, and i'm enjoying playing gt5 a lot more nowadays racing standard cars and learning how to drive properly instead of maxing everything out.

#596 pRy

pRy

• 10,718 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 15:10

I'm similar really. As much as I enjoy watching F1 races, I think there are only so many races you can drive in the Codemasters F1 games before you simply get bored of the entire concept. At least that's how it was for me. With F1 2011 it quickly became a 'Oh, F1 2010 again' situation, and I stopped playing F1 2010 for a reason.

So I traded it in for Forza 4 and I've had a lot more fun in that. All I do now is load up a quick race, select the most powerful Ferrari sports car and thrash it around the old Nurburgring. Simple and a lot of fun. It makes up for the lack of an F1 car in the game. And the best but is the time from loading the game to driving is very short. One thing I could never stand in the F1 series were the loading screens.

#597 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:45

Future Codies F1 games need a decent career mode, it's the only thing that gives sports games decent replay value.

Edited by Meanbeakin, 10 December 2011 - 23:45.

#598 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:31

I'm similar really. As much as I enjoy watching F1 races, I think there are only so many races you can drive in the Codemasters F1 games before you simply get bored of the entire concept. At least that's how it was for me. With F1 2011 it quickly became a 'Oh, F1 2010 again' situation, and I stopped playing F1 2010 for a reason.

So I traded it in for Forza 4 and I've had a lot more fun in that. All I do now is load up a quick race, select the most powerful Ferrari sports car and thrash it around the old Nurburgring. Simple and a lot of fun. It makes up for the lack of an F1 car in the game. And the best but is the time from loading the game to driving is very short. One thing I could never stand in the F1 series were the loading screens.

An F1 game is a reproduction of a sport rather than a racing game, that is why it will never be as exciting as some other racers imo.
A big part of F1 is strategy, racing against cars that aren't even on the screen, but half a lap ahead or behind you.

That is why an F1 game should be aimed at hardcore fans imo.

#599 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 2,878 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 17:34

A big part of F1 is strategy, racing against cars that aren't even on the screen, but half a lap ahead or behind you.

Too bad they haven't gotten that part down in any of the games yet. :well:

Advertisement

#600 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 566 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 00:55

Too bad they haven't gotten that part down in any of the games yet. :well:

true, that's the thing that would really make me pick up an f1 game again, being able to properly pace myself and run a decent strategy. It's a shame refuelling is gone in that respect.