Photo

F1 2011

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

#51 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 21:54

All games/sims give you these understeery stable default setups. You gain stability but loose overall speed. So you reduce the wings, make the mechanical grip more twitchy and less margin for error but faster.. better turn in, better exit etc. Then you have these alien type guys who are good enough to drive those edgy setups as if they are stable.. and it's alot easier to be brave doing that when it's a computer game.. you have these guys that will be anywhere from 1-3 seconds faster. The top 100 time trial times are simply ridiculous. But it's just the way it is. For Codemasters to try and change that would to be to create an artifical racing experience IMO.

You are right on the money on this one, at first F1 2010 felt very weird to me, i couldn't feel any movement from the car, it felt like a powerboat honestly.

It all changed, for me at least, when i tried stiffer rear springs with medium/soft at the front, now i could feel the back of the car was swinging under braking and i could make it "dance", ride the power on the exit.
It was an totally different experience...

Sure, Codemasters didn't get the top speeds right (how could they miss by that much is beyond me however :eek: ), some braking distances don't look right (maybe because of the top speed), and having one setup for all the tracks is incredibly lazy... but those things don't really detract from the driving experience itself.
It might be easier to hit the ground running in F1 2010 than Rfactor, but the challenge is still taking things to the edge.
If it has too much grip, go into the corner faster.

With all that said, no matter what setup changes i do, it doesn't get to be as savage as the FVA Ferrari F-10, it just feels fast and on edge, you just have to treat that car with respect :clap:

It's a shitty little game that just has hotlapping on one car ( the aforementioned F-10) on just 3 tracks, no racing whatsoever...
The highlight of it is that you get to compare your times to Alonso, Massa and Fisichella.

And yes, the aliens managed to destroy Alonso too :lol:

Advertisement

#52 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:03

You are right about top speeds, Valencia and Spa are two that come to mind. Suzuka as well? And Silverstone. It's sort of harmless as long as it's the same for everyone.

What you said about grip and go faster is right and the main reason I've never liked AI is that they can never "go faster" the same way a human will. The lines will always be slightly different or it'll seem like they are using a different setup from you.. they'll be stronger in one point but weaker in another, that's in a competely different way to a human. Then there's the point when the AI can just be too slow. I guess for single player, you'd just use a weaker car, I haven't tried this or career mode yet.

Just had some great 20% races.. 20 and 30% races are the shiznit! Some tracks I was really bad.. like Spa I was using the unrealistic time trial setup.. I get to braking zone after eau rogue and the long straight.. Is it le combe? and Im like WTF? Never came close to making the corner despite braking early. Gravel. :mad: For the next races.. All the new settings (vs default), I just backed off them a bit.. like added back some downforce, moved weight closer back to the 50/50, softened back the suspension etc. So 20-40% wing instead of 5-10% wing.

You basically jsut need something where you need comfortable pushing without making any bigger errors. Cause it only gets worse and worse as the car becomes light and the tyre grip does down. It has to feel good at least (no sliding) when they tyres are new. You can actually have less wear with "aggressive" setup if you don't slide or spin the tyres too much. Whatever works for you. I had that at Hockenheim and Melbourne and it was great. To be able to attack lap after lap without mistakes. At Melbourne I lost fw not even before first corner because some idiot didnt accelerate when the lights went out. So I had to do 95% of the race on the harder tyre and because I was in clear air I somehow made it with less wear then I'd usually have. No big errors, no slides, really Buttonesque and they lasted really well. Roughly 2 tenths quicker lap after lap. A rewarding stint with great rhythm. Montreal was tough and I chewed through tyres hard and couldn't do 3 laps without an error. And then it just compounds and compounds and compounds etc. Overall great fun, but I need to get the setups way more stable when they are on full fuel.

By the way one of the guys on my friends list for those 20% races uses keyboard so it's not all about using a wheel. But he does seem to be some sort of "keyboard alien" :lol: , I knew one from Italy in F1C as well. His name was Forty and he could drive better with a few fingers then most people can with arms and legs!

I think I've typed enough about this game here lately.. so I am hereby banning myself from posting about it in the next few weeks until my hype and craze for it dies down a bit. :D :clap: I will only talk about it ingame. :p

#53 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:03

Sorry, one more thing. What you said about one set of setup presets for all tracks, I don't believe that is right.

I believe all tracks come with a different aero package for each race. So that 5/5 wings is different at Monaco compared to 5/5 wings at Monza. I don't know it's it's just aero or other thigns as well but it's gear ratios as well. Maybe some other things as well. So what you have for each track is a "workable range" for that specific track. So 1/1 wing is like a fully dry aggressive low fuel setup that flies on the straights and 9/7 is like a wet setup or very high downforce. If you think about it, this is actually better then the other sims like rFactor because you'd have the same setup parameters (like amount of wing available, drag levels etc) and aero packages for every single circuit which is wrong. The plus side was that you had a wider range like 20/20 or 50/50 depending on the mod. It suits the "setup gurus" more that way. Since you have to do more tweaking yourself to get it right for each track.

I think Codemasters way is actually more realistic in terms of F1 though. The drivers turn up to each track and it's like the car is customised each weekend for that track. And they just make fine adjustments to suit the temperatures or wind conditions or the aero balance etc. The 5/5 for each track is like the middle of the working range but for each track those 5/5 mean different values overall. Visually the cars have the same wings for Monza or Monaco but in the physics they are using those really skinny wings so that even at 10/7 it's still not alot of downforce when you are at Monza.

Edited by HoldenRT, 26 June 2011 - 02:12.

#54 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,764 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:12

Sorry, one more thing. What you said about one set of setup presets for all tracks, I don't believe that is right.

I believe all tracks come with a different aero package for each race. So that 5/5 wings is different at Monaco compared to 5/5 wings at Monza. I don't know it's it's just aero or other thigns as well but it's gear ratios as well. Maybe some other things as well. So what you have for each track is a "workable range" for that specific track. So 1/1 wing is like a fully dry aggressive low fuel setup that flies on the straights and 9/7 is like a wet setup or very high downforce. If you think about it, this is actually better then the other sims like rFactor because you'd have the same setup parameters (like amount of wing available, drag levels etc) and aero packages for every single circuit which is wrong. The plus side was that you had a wider range like 20/20 or 50/50 depending on the mod. It suits the "setup gurus" more that way. Since you have to do more tweaking yourself to get it right for each track.

I think Codemasters way is actually more realistic in terms of F1 though. The drivers turn up to each track and it's like the car is customised each weekend for that track. And they just make fine adjustments to suit the temperatures or wind conditions or the aero balance etc. The 5/5 for each track is like the middle of the working range but for each track those 5/5 mean different values overall. Visually the cars have the same wings for Monza or Monaco but in the physics they are using those really skinny wings so that even at 10/7 it's still not alot of downforce when you are at Monza.

That's what Codies were aiming for in the first game, having a baseline setup for the track ready for you to then tweak and hone, much like the real drivers do in FP1, 2 and 3 before testing it out in Qualifying.

I've found for the slower cars (at Hispania atm) that going more aggressive with wings etc. (keeping them around 1-4 front and back) gives you the acceleration and straight-line speed to keep up with the AI, but also leaves enough downforce to keep it on the road in the bends... so it's definitely working around a set baseline, which I like personally... it takes all the more boring setup work out of it, and really forces you to learn what your driving style needs from the setup tweaks to go faster. I've found that at most tracks I prefer a pointier front end, so the ballast always goes to the front (usually around 60-70%), with quite a soft rear roll-bar and suspension compared to the front. This cuts out a bit of the games natural understeer, but as the game doesn't really let you oversteer much, unless you're actually spinning, it creates a nice balance. Still learning about camber and toe (even after all this time) and what it's doing for the balance and my times, but I've seen a lot of online setups just go fully left (into the -'s) on those perimeters, and mine tend to do the same.

I like keeping my brake balance 50-50, because everytime I've shifted it I've lost overall braking power, and it's the power I want, as the game doesn't really give you too much instability under braking... High brake pressure with 50-50 balance is my default setup EVERYWHERE.

Gearing is an area that I've found a bit of success with, though I'm essentially recreating the kind of curves you see in the GT5 ratio selections etc. I've found lots of time through gearing for good traction, as the engines rev so well you're never really bogging down even with a larger gap between ratios for say 5th and 6th... Still getting used to the actual gear shifting itself though (only converted to manual gears with GT5 back in December :stoned: ), but enjoying the more 'alive' feeling it creates, and the choice of keeping up a gear in some sections for better traction (like the Valencia one you mentioned). The downshifts are probably the one thing that trips me up regularly, into heavy braking zones in particular, often spinning me round on the final downshift or on turn in when the revs are still dropping (luckily I do this enough in practice to get it out of my system for later in the race weekend).

From what I've seen in the new dev diary though, the cars look a lot more lively, and perhaps the setups we've honed in this game will not be so relevant for the new title. Seeing cars oversteer on corner exit might bring an end to my super-pointy cars in F1 2011...

Edited by DanardiF1, 26 June 2011 - 04:13.

#55 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:56

I don't understand what that means. (ffb)

I don't understand what canned physics means

Lack of FFB means that you are unable to properly feel the grip through the steering wheel. You should feel the wheel tightening up when it is about to lose grip, just like in a real race car.

Canned physics means that certain parts of the cars behaviour are scripted and not run through the physics engine. For example when the car starts spinning it always finishes the spin in the same way.

#56 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:11

Sorry, but that is just the lazy excuse they used for their lazyness.

How about other stuff besides aero? Why they the exact same suspension and brake settings for a stop and go track like Canada and Suzuka who is all about the long turns? Why would you go with the same weight distribution for Monaco and Monza?

They were lazy and took they quick way out.

#57 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:44

How about other stuff besides aero? Why they the exact same suspension and brake settings for a stop and go track like Canada and Suzuka who is all about the long turns? Why would you go with the same weight distribution for Monaco and Monza?

How do you know suspension is the same? It's just a set of figures between one and ten... eg. the range in ride height at Monaco from 1 to 10 could be say 30mm, but at Abu Dhabi the range could be between 10 and 20mm??

The brake balance will always be set to neutral, because braking and the feel for it is usually driver preference/talent, so prescribing a brake balance to a drive may not do any good. As for weight distribution, again it's %'s on a different scale from race to race...

#58 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:33

How do you know suspension is the same? It's just a set of figures between one and ten... eg. the range in ride height at Monaco from 1 to 10 could be say 30mm, but at Abu Dhabi the range could be between 10 and 20mm??

The brake balance will always be set to neutral, because braking and the feel for it is usually driver preference/talent, so prescribing a brake balance to a drive may not do any good. As for weight distribution, again it's %'s on a different scale from race to race...

When it comes to alignment they are using actual values, actual angles of inclinement instead of random numbers and guess what? it's the same setup for every track.
No matter if it's a track with long corners (cornering stability should be priority), or a stop and go track (braking and traction priority).

Drivers actually change the brake balance corner to corner, because the requirements for a 7th to 1st gear corner are totally different from one where you just jab the brakes and change direction, even if you are one of those guys who like to swing the back of the car on braking, when faced with a hairpin or a tight chicane you have to brake in a straight line (and use more front brakes).
The ride height setting is in the game just so you can put it to the minimum value, there's no drawback from it.

I can't believe you guys actually bought that argument "it looks like the same setup, but it isn't", really?
My race engineer thinks that the quickest way around Monaco is to use the least amount of downforce "in a given aero package" and gain time on the straights???
I mean think about it for a second... do you actually believe they weren't being lazy when they did this?

Edited by Sevach, 27 June 2011 - 07:38.

#59 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,194 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:56

When it comes to alignment they are using actual values, actual angles of inclinement instead of random numbers and guess what? it's the same setup for every track.
No matter if it's a track with long corners (cornering stability should be priority), or a stop and go track (braking and traction priority).

Drivers actually change the brake balance corner to corner, because the requirements for a 7th to 1st gear corner are totally different from one where you just jab the brakes and change direction, even if you are one of those guys who like to swing the back of the car on braking, when faced with a hairpin or a tight chicane you have to brake in a straight line (and use more front brakes).
The ride height setting is in the game just so you can put it to the minimum value, there's no drawback from it.

I can't believe you guys actually bought that argument "it looks like the same setup, but it isn't", really?
My race engineer thinks that the quickest way around Monaco is to use the least amount of downforce "in a given aero package" and gain time on the straights???
I mean think about it for a second... do you actually believe they weren't being lazy when they did this?

i know for sure that the gear ratio's change from race to race, you can see it on the numbers..

Advertisement

#60 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:32

The alignment doesn't... The brake balance doesn't... Balast... no space for giggling around on those...
And whomever thinks that the quickest way around Monaco is taking Wing off... Oh well...

I'm surprised that so many people bought into this...

Hey, it's ok to like the game, i think it's a good/ok game too, but that was lazy no matter what they said about it.

#61 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:28

I'm tired of new games focusing on all this social/co-operative/online bullshit. How is that worth a new game? He talks about KERS/DRS, well yeah that's just because of the new rules.

Honestly, the game looks and sounds the same. If they allowed F1 2010 to be modded then everything they added would have been modded in within the first few months of 2011 beginning, perhaps before.

Complete rip off.

#62 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,430 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 15:06

Thanks for that. I'm not interested in the vast majority of those developments. I'll be waiting for it to hit the bargain buckets before I buy it.

#63 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:44

Lack of FFB means that you are unable to properly feel the grip through the steering wheel. You should feel the wheel tightening up when it is about to lose grip, just like in a real race car.

Canned physics means that certain parts of the cars behaviour are scripted and not run through the physics engine. For example when the car starts spinning it always finishes the spin in the same way.

But I am only a week into this game (I played it for 2 days on Singapore back when it first released but thats it) and I can do long online races with tyre wear sims.. etc and can feel the grip fine, that's what I meant. I can feel the instant the wheels start sliding laterally. I think of the comment on the forum whenever I feel it. Otherwise could never finish a race. I assure you, I am no expert pro F1 driver.. all F1 mods I drove in the past had TC enabled, because real life had it enabled. Only non TC stuff was V8 supercars, GT's, iRacing etc.

Canned phsyics.. that makes more sense now.. I understand. I don't know if it's true or not or how it makes a difference because honestly, I feel no difference, but it makes more sense now. Sounds like excuses to me honestly.. no offense. The rear goes light when you lift off the throttle in heavy braking zones or on certain corners in anything but in this it doesn't do it the EXACT same way every lap and there is was ways to counter it. I just goggled canned phsyics and the topic I just read on Codemasters forums.. it sounds like excuses. I could be wrong but just an impression. Canned wheelspin, same experience.. if I didn't read it on a forum, would never even imagine it's possible. If they did do it, they did it in a clever way.

#64 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:46

I am not sure but I always change those anyway. For the aero, I think it's clever rather then lazy. OMFG I can't believe I am defending Codemasters WTF is going on.

#65 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 23:05

The alignment doesn't... The brake balance doesn't... Balast... no space for giggling around on those...
And whomever thinks that the quickest way around Monaco is taking Wing off... Oh well...

I'm surprised that so many people bought into this...

Hey, it's ok to like the game, i think it's a good/ok game too, but that was lazy no matter what they said about it.

Lazy isn't a word that comes to mind but you are entitled to your opinion.

I would prefer simplistic.

For example the problem of too much weight transfer onto the front axle (= not enough on the rear anymore.. read - canned spins) could be solved by bump and rebound dampers in a setup so that you can drive the car you want without your canned spins but guess what? The setups don't have that kind of control over the car. All you have is universal values for front and rear springs. That can "generally" control the weight transfer front to rear but not specific characteristics. Instead you need to compensate with different throttle and brake control. You do the same thing even when you have these adjustments available but this time it's alot more significant option. There's always braking earlier or scrubbing off more speed before the apex or even trying to run deep into the corner to induce understeer but who wants to do that while racing? Instead by having a little throttle on while you are braking as you turn in, the rear suspension will stay weighted and compressed. No canned spin. It also allows to run brake bias further rearwards.. help helps turn into the corner and can help manage the risk that comes with it with rear lockups.

In this game you can do the threshold braking like Stoner does MotoGP with the rear tyres doing small fishtail slides right on the verge of rear lockup/spin.. but for that corner where you go too far.. the throttle helps the car stay straight.. like a lost tenth instead of seconds.

For Monaco.. yes.. taking wing off DOES make you quicker. But maybe not with 100% race fuel onboard.. for a time trial lap it does because wing in this game only seems to have an impact over a certain speed.. like 200km apex speeds or more.

Why? Two reasons vs the older F1 cars of 2005 or 2006 etc.

1 - Double diffusers. Huge underbody downforce in the car that it's adjustable. Works best in medium speed corners as far as I know.

2 - Effecient aero in general.

There is a point at every track where by taking any more wing off you are just costing straight line speed, but you are making the optimum lap time "harder" by having a smaller window to work with. The window gets very very small when you add fuel or tyre wear in the mix. It comes back to the point though.. 8 6 wings at Monaco = alot of downforce. But you've still got some straight line speed in S1 or out of the tunnel.. How much do you want to risk? Most of my setups have below 5/5 wing for any track because to compete online you have no choice.. you will be slow otherwise.. but I had a great race at Hungary yesterday 30% and the extra wing I had won me the race.. the last 3 laps of every stint won me the race. The cost in straight line speed meant stability and less wear.

This stuff becomes more easier to visualise when you race against yourself (or people slightly faster then you) in time trial mode with experimenting different setups. I assure you I am not making it up.

#66 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 23:31

I'm tired of new games focusing on all this social/co-operative/online bullshit. How is that worth a new game? He talks about KERS/DRS, well yeah that's just because of the new rules.

Honestly, the game looks and sounds the same. If they allowed F1 2010 to be modded then everything they added would have been modded in within the first few months of 2011 beginning, perhaps before.

Complete rip off.

Racing or ball games or shooting against AI is like masturbation. *shrug* GP4 was complete masturbation. You can adjust the skill levels, and get a sense of satisfaction but it's safe and similar to tennis against a wall there is no one to hit the ball back. For any game these days, it's all about the online. For the same reason that'd you'd rather be typing and chatting with F1 fans on Autosport rather then automated computer bots saying "Vettel wins again, let's discuss race now". "You make good comment here is 5 points". Alot of the people that hate online gaming think that everyone cheats.. two things.. one it's easy to inlfate your ego against the AI, and secondly it's easy to become complacent and never test yourself in this environment. Online people help each other improve and share things with each other, AI does not.

You are right, the game probably will be the same. Aside from the DRS/KERS gimmicks.

That's why I have only mentioned 2011 once here with tyre wear (Pirelli's realistic tyre wear will suck in the game, the Bridgestone way seems fine) the whole time..

The grass is always greener isn't it?

There is this great game right here and the core of the new one will be very similar but it seems it's been discarded. In some areas it's a huge improvement over anything there has been before. For example I would pay just to be able to drive a realistic Monaco and this one has it. At least the new one will have Nurburging..

To make drastic changes from 2010 to 2011 to it would be like an admission that they screwed up. I don't believe they have. I assure you, I wouldn't be typing here a whole bunch of crap if I thought they'd screwed it up. I already assumed they'd screwed up before it was released. I am pretty much anti-Codemasters and their pandering of the masses. I understand they need to make money but I love much more ISI and so do the real F1 teams like Redbull (who use rFactor Pro).

If they didn't make a new one until 2013 or something I could be happy. As long as there was people to race with. It's just a shame that none of them are from here. This is Autosport, the main best racing website in the world for pete sake. I have even been too scared to talk about sims on here in the past.. I don't know why.. but I have big enthusiasm thanks to 2010 and have said finally.. screw it. Just be honest.

I might appear an asshole and if so, I am sorry but it's just an honest opinion on this stuff. And while shit gets serious in these types of topics, I've always been friendly in person and helped anyone who is willing to listen. Gaming is about fun afterall. And that's the point.. yes it's not perfect.. yes it's got some issues but I am having way too much fun racing with mates to criticise it.

My fun is thanks to Codemasters.

Edited by HoldenRT, 27 June 2011 - 23:32.

#67 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 23:41

I like keeping my brake balance 50-50, because everytime I've shifted it I've lost overall braking power, and it's the power I want, as the game doesn't really give you too much instability under braking... High brake pressure with 50-50 balance is my default setup EVERYWHERE.

There's your problem. I even sort of answered it above but I will go into further detail via PM.

In short though.. the realistic setting is 53-55% rearwards.. I heard Ant Davidson say this on BBC on a Friday last season.

Purely coincidental I found this is a similar setting to be optimum in the game itself. It was trial and error and gradually moving it back.. I haven't gone any further back then 55%.. already I have problems in some tracks and having to do that throttle + brake before turn in trick. Especially on very worn tyres.

Something that Sevach mentioned was true about not being able to move brake bias in the car. That's a problem. I have to be honest, I never used it in RF where you can do it.. but I also never drove cars before who's balance changes so much from the start of the trace to end due to huge fuel loads.

#68 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:53

Just had a race just now.. entire FFB died after having a bump from behind in turn 1.. talk about lack of feedback. :lol: Finished the race but it felt very wrong. Speaking of that I raced with a guy in the past that turned FFB off in Rfactor.. he was an alien who would always win practically every race, and even raced in FSR (like sim racing olympics).. one of the top sim racers in the world.. "I want to try RBR's simulator and feel the G's.. don't you?" NOPE. He just wanted to win his races and saw it as a hinderance. I guess the understanding of the car behaiviour and visual concentration is more important? I've always liked it for immersion reasons. As long as it's not overpowering. The sweet spot between feeling the grip in your hands, having SOME resistance but being able to do it for hours and hours if needed.

I guess I've shot my bolt on all this stuff. And hijacked the topic. I honestly don't care about 2011, already content. Like a happily married man who doesn't need to look at porn magazines! I apologise if I was too aggressive above.. I will make a topic about setups and leave the talk here for the future game. It's not like I was interrupting much tho compared to last years hype, but I will stop.

If it's the F1's of 70s and 80's, V8s or Rally.. who cares.. if it's modern F1.. :mad: *modern F1 doctrine activated* I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT :mad:

#69 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:59

Lazy isn't a word that comes to mind but you are entitled to your opinion.

I would prefer simplistic.

For example the problem of too much weight transfer onto the front axle (= not enough on the rear anymore.. read - canned spins) could be solved by bump and rebound dampers in a setup so that you can drive the car you want without your canned spins but guess what? The setups don't have that kind of control over the car. All you have is universal values for front and rear springs. That can "generally" control the weight transfer front to rear but not specific characteristics. Instead you need to compensate with different throttle and brake control. You do the same thing even when you have these adjustments available but this time it's alot more significant option. There's always braking earlier or scrubbing off more speed before the apex or even trying to run deep into the corner to induce understeer but who wants to do that while racing? Instead by having a little throttle on while you are braking as you turn in, the rear suspension will stay weighted and compressed. No canned spin. It also allows to run brake bias further rearwards.. help helps turn into the corner and can help manage the risk that comes with it with rear lockups.

In this game you can do the threshold braking like Stoner does MotoGP with the rear tyres doing small fishtail slides right on the verge of rear lockup/spin.. but for that corner where you go too far.. the throttle helps the car stay straight.. like a lost tenth instead of seconds.

For Monaco.. yes.. taking wing off DOES make you quicker. But maybe not with 100% race fuel onboard.. for a time trial lap it does because wing in this game only seems to have an impact over a certain speed.. like 200km apex speeds or more.

Why? Two reasons vs the older F1 cars of 2005 or 2006 etc.

1 - Double diffusers. Huge underbody downforce in the car that it's adjustable. Works best in medium speed corners as far as I know.

2 - Effecient aero in general.

There is a point at every track where by taking any more wing off you are just costing straight line speed, but you are making the optimum lap time "harder" by having a smaller window to work with. The window gets very very small when you add fuel or tyre wear in the mix. It comes back to the point though.. 8 6 wings at Monaco = alot of downforce. But you've still got some straight line speed in S1 or out of the tunnel.. How much do you want to risk? Most of my setups have below 5/5 wing for any track because to compete online you have no choice.. you will be slow otherwise.. but I had a great race at Hungary yesterday 30% and the extra wing I had won me the race.. the last 3 laps of every stint won me the race. The cost in straight line speed meant stability and less wear.

This stuff becomes more easier to visualise when you race against yourself (or people slightly faster then you) in time trial mode with experimenting different setups. I assure you I am not making it up.

Actually, if i know the car has a good front end i like to brake late and go deep into the corner and wait for the front to come around, it's just my natural style :lol:
This only works for long radius corners, not for chicanes and hairpins, otherwise you would miss the apex badly...
The fishtailing is one area of this game that i feel is a bit weaker than other sims, when you go deep into the braking zone, the style i've just spoken, the car doesn't dance around as much, and doesn't step out as agressively, it's all very smooth and not really edge of your seat imo.
I think it has to do with the engine not handling weight transfer very well, the back doesn't really unload under heavy braking.
And that causes what already been said on this thread, moving the brake balance away from 50-50 is not a smart move, the fronts don't have any extra loading so putting extra energy into them is a bad idea.

You are missing my point in the lazy/setup argument, the point is they didn't put any thought in making setups for each track, you click the extreme setup in Monaco and it shows wing 1 at the back and 3 at the front, pretty much minimum wing, which i don't know about you but for me makes the car pretty hard to stop. That is because their extreme setup is the same for every track, be it "Monaco package" or "Monza package".
No consideration into it. Minimum downforce, Minimum ride height (not that ride height deseves any consideration in this game, no drawbacks from lowering the car too much), 52-48 brakes... everything the same for every track.

That is a minor problem that doesn't really affect the game long term... Who uses the default setup anyway? I certainly don't... but still, lazy job in providing the base setup by Codemasters.

#70 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:58

But I am only a week into this game (I played it for 2 days on Singapore back when it first released but thats it) and I can do long online races with tyre wear sims.. etc and can feel the grip fine, that's what I meant. I can feel the instant the wheels start sliding laterally. I think of the comment on the forum whenever I feel it. Otherwise could never finish a race. I assure you, I am no expert pro F1 driver.. all F1 mods I drove in the past had TC enabled, because real life had it enabled. Only non TC stuff was V8 supercars, GT's, iRacing etc.

Canned phsyics.. that makes more sense now.. I understand. I don't know if it's true or not or how it makes a difference because honestly, I feel no difference, but it makes more sense now. Sounds like excuses to me honestly.. no offense. The rear goes light when you lift off the throttle in heavy braking zones or on certain corners in anything but in this it doesn't do it the EXACT same way every lap and there is was ways to counter it. I just goggled canned phsyics and the topic I just read on Codemasters forums.. it sounds like excuses. I could be wrong but just an impression. Canned wheelspin, same experience.. if I didn't read it on a forum, would never even imagine it's possible. If they did do it, they did it in a clever way.

If you are satisfied with the Force Feedback in the game then that is of course enough. It is after all mostly personal preference.

The canned physics only came into play during certain situations, for example spins and over certain kerbs. Usually the game was using the Codemasters physics engine.

#71 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:16

One thing I've noticed is the dirt on tyres.. very canned. In real life the tyres will stay dirty until you go through a corner. I saw a video of A1 Ring years ago with Nando in the Renault.. he went into the gravel and it was going through the next corner that scrubbed the dirt off.. It looked really cool when each band of the grooved tyres cleaned itself off one at a time.. in this it's like.. "your tyres are dirty, they will be clean in 5 seconds" regardless if it's a corner or a straight. Canned tyredirt but is canned dirt better then no dirt on tyres at all? Not sure. All I know is that for me it's not a make or break thing.. it's a part of the "rules" and everyone has the same rules so it's not the end of the world. Does suck when some dick puts you in the gravel though.. can't try to catch him when your tyres are dirty. In GTR there used to be canned track marbles offline of the corners but it was same for all. Also.. it has canned engine braking I guess you could say.. where you can downshift as quick as you like and no engine blow or diff lockup.

The fishtailing is one area of this game that i feel is a bit weaker than other sims, when you go deep into the braking zone, the style i've just spoken, the car doesn't dance around as much, and doesn't step out as agressively, it's all very smooth and not really edge of your seat imo.

I've felt it squirrel in my hands with the FFB especially for example the braking zone into the hairpin for Hockenheim.. it's the warning zone that tells me "don't try to move the brakes back any further".. maybe it's easier then real life I don't know but maybe some other F1 mods are too hard. Years ago I would watch Melbourne practice on TV and think that it looks easier for them then for me. Now I watch and feel it looks similar in the game to TV. I can't lie though back when I first drove back in Sept last year, it felt easier then I am used too. I think I posted that here too. It took all these months to get back into it, but that was partly due to an annoying needy cat giving my bad memories of driving the game. And that was default setup and I didn't try to compare times with anyone else, just to drive Singapore for a quick spin and to see the pretty colours. Hadn't bothered registering Windows Live account.

You are missing my point in the lazy/setup argument, the point is they didn't put any thought in making setups for each track, you click the extreme setup in Monaco and it shows wing 1 at the back and 3 at the front, pretty much minimum wing, which i don't know about you but for me makes the car pretty hard to stop. That is because their extreme setup is the same for every track, be it "Monaco package" or "Monza package".
No consideration into it. Minimum downforce, Minimum ride height (not that ride height deseves any consideration in this game, no drawbacks from lowering the car too much), 52-48 brakes... everything the same for every track.

That is a minor problem that doesn't really affect the game long term... Who uses the default setup anyway? I certainly don't... but still, lazy job in providing the base setup by Codemasters.

I have never used those presets for "extreme" or "dry" or "wet" so can't really comment. Always by the numbers (control freak). Using 5/5 as a base. What you say seems to make sense. Those presets in anything always seem to be really dodgy IMO, I think that's why I avoid them. Does the lower ride height have extra bottoming out? I thought I noticed that on the straight at Hockenheim but I could have been wrong. I think that was only back when I was using high wing because I was getting 30 seconds to make a setup before the race starts and had to try to make something in a panic. Had horrible straight line speed and big bottoming out. Doesn't seem to happen on other tracks though. At Monaco in S1 there is bottoming out no matter what the setup though (I think).

One of these days, I'll stop posting about this stuff in this topic. :drunk: :cat: One of these days.. :p

#72 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 19:36

If you are satisfied with the Force Feedback in the game then that is of course enough. It is after all mostly personal preference.

The canned physics only came into play during certain situations, for example spins and over certain kerbs. Usually the game was using the Codemasters physics engine.

The whole "canned" physics debacle does bug me, it just wasn't so. It was just that they got the suspension working wrong and it was far to sensitive to bumps when a certain amount of steering lock was applied, the bump and lateral force causes the back to very subtly slide but not enough to feel it through the FFB so you don't react meaning you just snap around once you get too much slip angle with no idea that it was coming, if you look at replays after you've spun over a bump you'll see rubber left on the road before the car actually snaps (same happens when you lock the rears under braking) then the backend will go.

I've managed to adjust my FFB setting now so you get an idea its coming and it makes the steering a bit weightier, its not ideal but they said the have overhauled the handling this year and i hope they're got it right, regardless of some of the issues 2010 has i still enjoy playing it for what it is, a forgiving game, not a sim and thats fine with me, i've got Rfactor and GTR evo for when i want to get serious. I have hope that 2011 will be a good step forward. (sounds like a Mclaren PR statement)

#73 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 22:45

Canned tyredirt but is canned dirt better then no dirt on tyres at all? Not sure.

I honestly don't know... lol
As you said doesn't make or brake the game, it's just there and has minimum influence overall.

I've felt it squirrel in my hands with the FFB especially for example the braking zone into the hairpin for Hockenheim.. it's the warning zone that tells me "don't try to move the brakes back any further".. maybe it's easier then real life I don't know but maybe some other F1 mods are too hard. Years ago I would watch Melbourne practice on TV and think that it looks easier for them then for me. Now I watch and feel it looks similar in the game to TV. I can't lie though back when I first drove back in Sept last year, it felt easier then I am used too. I think I posted that here too. It took all these months to get back into it, but that was partly due to an annoying needy cat giving my bad memories of driving the game. And that was default setup and I didn't try to compare times with anyone else, just to drive Singapore for a quick spin and to see the pretty colours. Hadn't bothered registering Windows Live account.

One of these days, I'll stop posting about this stuff in this topic. :drunk: :cat: One of these days.. :p

On my wheel, Thrustmaster f430 ffb, a midrange wheel, the force feedback for car movement is very bad, i have to pretty much see the back stepping out , see that the car is turning too much, cause the FFB ain't gonna tell me anything.

Even with this problem, i don't remember having big problems under braking, as long as you are reasonably smooth with the steering input the car is very stable under braking imo.
The brakes on 50-50 brake balance, that on F1 2010 offers the optimal "bite", always seem to lock the fronts first.
You can move the balance back, but usually i feel that doing that is just forcing the issue, a feeling that, this is not best/fastest setup, but it is more fun to drive.

Still, on tracks like Hungaroring, with no heavy braking, i use 48 or 47 at the front, still doesn't give me too much trouble in terms of rear stability under braking.

Personally, i would like the brakes on F1 2011 to have more bite, and a greater weight transfer under braking, more instability.
Again, in Ferrari Virtual Academy, that is the game marketed as being developed by the Ferrari engineers... braking feels absolutely brutal, F1 2010 feels like a big step down in comparison.
F1 drivers sure make it look easy, but i'm not sure that is actually the case.

I realize that Codemasters doesn't intend to make the game "hardcore", but there is room for improvement without scaring the casuals imo.

A bit off-topic, on casuals, i think it's very hard to make an F1 game for them, friends/cousins/brother come here look at the wheel and the F1 2010 box and wanna take it for a spin.
5 min later they haven't made one corner correctly, crashed 20 times and are saying "this is boring... do you have something else? Need for Speed or something???"

#74 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 00:40

It always seems to be a debate for every title betweens the fans on message boards. There is always people complaining about anything.

How much is too realistic? How much is too easy? Realistic looks or realistic feel? Even silly things that have nothing to do with the racing get targetted. How can any of us judge that though? Every one I've ever seen has had complaints of the tyre model, the physics, the aids.. etc etc. I know what I see on onboards but no idea how it's supposed to feel. Ant Davidson does and he worked with them but maybe they are bottlenecked by the engine itself?

I just know that it's equal for everyone.. so if braking is too easy.. brake later. Or if the throttle is "too touchy and unrealistic" be more smooth with it and laugh when others spin off. Or if there is too much downforce, go through the corner flat. It's sort of like how in F1 everyone is always pointing fingers at each others cars and saying something is illegal but if it passes FIA inspection and they win the race, they have last laugh. All you can do is race within the rules.

For 2005 and 2006 mods I naturally suited them, where as with MMG 2007 in rF it took me half the season to figure the braking out. I would either be too slow or I'd move brake bias back and always have random spins especially on cold tyres. Others didn't have any more problems then other mods. My older setup ideas didn't transfer over so well. I didn't blame the mod though, I just worked hard to find solutions on the setup. My teammate even beat me with my own setup on some tracks, but while it's annoying it's better then no mod at all. No races at all. I could be more happier then usual even if it was only a third place.

I can say in my honest opinion when the tyres start wearing in this game, for me it doesn't feel easy at all. Especially the harder tyre. I couldn't finish a race at Abu Dahbi or Korea right now. Maybe to first hop in it was easier then others, but to optimise the setup and go as fast as possible has been the same process as anything else. For braking, maybe you are correct and they could push it further then it is at the moment.

In the meantime I haven't experienced any lack of bite on any tracks, and I run 48-45 front bias depending on how close I get to spinning in the highest braking zone. I did have one BIG problem at Spa into the final set of corners.. I accidently had brakes set to small. Would run wide nearly every time.. :o I have them at medium or standard for most tracks (especially Monaco where for me its easy to lockup).. and have large brakes for tracks like Canada, Monza and Melbourne. I don't understand properly the true difference in the standard or large discs.. haven't tested it enough, but the small ones are like cancer. I can't explain why 45 55 works better then 50 50 in terms of overall power or bite, but the stopwatch doesn't lie. It started off years ago that I noticed the fast guys would use more rear bias.. and I couldn't handle more then 54 46 or 52 48 but have gradually been able to move it back over the years.

#75 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 20:13

I guess it's all about the enthusiasm you have for this stuff, and don't mean a fancy word but like a fire that burns within, a passion, an addiction, an obsession, or just some fun etc.

All of this type of stuff is like anything where you have upsides and downsides. It seems like the downsides are alot easier to tolerate when you get such rewards from the positives. You either feel it or you don't. Or you could feel it for a month and then the flame goes out. I can already feel it starting to fade for me compared to 2 weeks ago, but it had been 18 months and I miss it alot. To be able to connect, joke and talk about race cars and F1 while racing each other and having fun together. Racing isn't the type of thing you can talk to Joe Blow down the street about, so it's nice to connect with people who care deeply about it like you do.

It can take hours to optimise your setup. It can 10-15 mins to setup your wheel. That's a hassle for alot of people. I understand that for some you don't want that crap, you just want to sit down adn straight away be holding your X Box controller and be racing and forgetting about a bad day. I feel that way sometimes too especially in the last 18 months. Then something else comes along and reignites the flame. The downsides can be annoying but they can also add to how rewarding it is. To take the time to optimise your setup, improve yourself and then race with people similar to yourself. That delivers in a way that AI never could. Especially if they message you links from Russian websites showing you streamed real life versions of the races to watch while you wait for other people to join the room. :lol: For example I always stop the car on the side of the road whenever I hit someone and I think they appreciate that, and it's always a nice feeling when you are struggling for pace and a faster guy takes half a lap to get past you instead of barging past at the first braking zone. It is more rewarding to know that people are racing properly but can be a hassle to find people that race like that, or where you might have to pay league or iRacing fees. More of a committment.

My point is when the fire burns, things like physics or lack of animated pit crews seem like small things to worry about. (As long as the racing is possible to a certain level.) Where as when the fire starts to dim the list of annoyances can add up. For some modern F1 could be "ok but nothing compared to the 90's" and for others it could be a dream come true. Or the lack of failures felt good when the game was new but now it doesn't. You either feel it or you don't and if you don't it makes it hard to go through the hassle.

I've typed SO MUCH crap here lately, but I have a feeling in a few months time you couldn't get pay to me talk about it. Like the racing could still be fun but not as much as before.. not enough to warrant typing about it.

So maybe it's less about what Codemasters did and more about how the user feels about it, how much of a reward they get out of it and and if it's worth the hassle. For most of this stuff there is hassle involved. Even to buy a wheel or cockpit is a committment let alone trying to use it x amount of time per day.

Again, I could be wrong but just my opinion.

Edited by HoldenRT, 01 July 2011 - 20:16.

#76 pRy

pRy

• 10,966 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 16:37

Gameplay trailer:

Team VVV hands on:

Team VVV interview:

#77 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:24

I was supposed to be at that press event but couldn't make it to London :(

#78 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,371 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:30

I hope this game has more to it. I found F1 2010 boring after a few play throughs on career. I think they should add more to F1 games than they do tbh. You should be able to change drivers and teams and have free roam of what to do. It would really make the games life span last longer, For me anyway.

#79 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,453 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 14:01

Gameplay trailer:

It looks... like F1 2010 with 2011 cars. Please, please tell me this game isn't going to be an F1 2010 expansion pack.

Oh, and they better have FOM graphics this time around. The OSD in F1 2010 was rather lousy, in my opinion. It didn't really feel like F1 to me, at least not as much as F1 games I've played with FOM graphics.

Advertisement

#80 pRy

pRy

• 10,966 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 14:24

Well I think it was always going to be just an expansion pack really. That was the nature of the deal (3 years isn't it?) .. 1 game per year with updated tracks, cars and a few tweaks and improvements here and there. Some are saying the graphics look better but I've yet to see a side by side comparison video.

#81 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 23:17

To me F1 2011 looks better, but if there was one thing F1 2010 did right it was the graphics.

#82 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:31

I can't wait for the release and all the bitching that will follow here about the missing pixels compared to real life that CM did not do right.

#83 pRy

pRy

• 10,966 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 13:45

I can't wait for the release and all the bitching that will follow here about the missing pixels compared to real life that CM did not do right.

Who complained about missing pixels last time? It was mostly bugs like the entire field pitting on the same lap forcing you to wait and other issues like that. I can't recall anyone ever attacked the graphics.

#84 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:03

Hope for more competitve opponents, even at legend they weren't any challenge at all. I want to struggle to get into Q3 driving in a W02.

#85 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:12

Hope for more competitve opponents, even at legend they weren't any challenge at all. I want to struggle to get into Q3 driving in a W02.

I agree, it wasn't just that the AI was slow but they were very inconsistent, so for most of the lap your pace would be similar to the AI around you and then in one corner you'd gain about 1.5 seconds, very demotivating.

I'm looking forward to it but i'm not going to get my hopes right up like last year, even though 2010 wasn't as bad as some have made out it had several flaws, hope the can make it a more complete package this year.

#86 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:24

Yes, they were braking veeery early at low speed corners, that was making them a lot slower in overall lap.

#87 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:56

Who complained about missing pixels last time? It was mostly bugs like the entire field pitting on the same lap forcing you to wait and other issues like that. I can't recall anyone ever attacked the graphics.

So to speak... There were a lot of criticisms about what in the end was a game and not a simulator. Looks like there will be a 24 cars field this time also eight of them will be AI.

#88 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:00

So to speak... There were a lot of criticisms about what in the end was a game and not a simulator. Looks like there will be a 24 cars field this time also eight of them will be AI.

Codies never said it would be a simulator, not once. They said it would have "sim elements". It is a multi platform, main stream game that was never going to be like iRacing or Rfactor because its a business and thats the bottom line, i think they did a good job of finding the right balance between a game and a "sim" it was forgiving but fun, granted it needed to be more rewarding but i think if they can polish certain elements up then it wlll be more rewarding this year.

At least thats my hope.

#89 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,616 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 00:33

It is a widely distributed PC and console racer that is meant to garner mass appeal, just like Codemasters' other franchises. They never even called it a simulator.

F1 2010 is a very fun game and I only seeing it being torn apart by:
a) People who had ridiculously high expectations.
b) People who, for some daft reason, thought they were getting a sim.

Does the game have a few flaws and such? Heck yeah, all games do... But is F1 2010 still a good game? Indeed it is. Anyone who says otherwise about a critically acclaimed game that won a BAFTA just looks silly.

Edited by UPRC, 14 July 2011 - 00:41.

#90 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:12

So what's the recommended specs for this one going to be? I tried 2010 last weekend and it runs flawlessly, I actually didn't hate the game despite being a big rFactor fan.

#91 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 16:36

It is a widely distributed PC and console racer that is meant to garner mass appeal, just like Codemasters' other franchises. They never even called it a simulator.

F1 2010 is a very fun game and I only seeing it being torn apart by:
a) People who had ridiculously high expectations.
b) People who, for some daft reason, thought they were getting a sim.

Does the game have a few flaws and such? Heck yeah, all games do... But is F1 2010 still a good game? Indeed it is. Anyone who says otherwise about a critically acclaimed game that won a BAFTA just looks silly.

I fully agree with all that. Don't play the game much although I keep it despite having a big games turnover. Wish they'd do a Colin McRae of the same quality.

#92 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:23

So what's the recommended specs for this one going to be? I tried 2010 last weekend and it runs flawlessly, I actually didn't hate the game despite being a big rFactor fan.

I think its a bit early but id like to find out as well. Also, i wonder what, if any, DX11 features they're going to implement.

Currently, F1 2010 looks and plays smooth on my PC, Full Graphics @ 1080p. I ended up giving away my PS3 version after seeing it run on my friends PC and got my copy via Steam (late last year).

#93 havocas

havocas

• 75 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:41

I'm just going to buy f1 2010 from the bargain basement and mod it to 2011

that seems the most cost effective way to achieve what i have just seen

#94 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 00:20

I'm just going to buy f1 2010 from the bargain basement and mod it to 2011

that seems the most cost effective way to achieve what i have just seen

Short answer, dont.

Why, the grippy ripple strips that cause you to spin out are so frustrating. Try setting a hotlap around Monaco and you will find out pretty quickly. Apparently this issue has been addressed in F1 2011.

#95 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 14:29

Short answer, dont.

Why, the grippy ripple strips that cause you to spin out are so frustrating. Try setting a hotlap around Monaco and you will find out pretty quickly. Apparently this issue has been addressed in F1 2011.

I only play F1 2010 pretty casually (once every now and then), and I started a career again last week. I had some pretty great wins in the previous two races, and was comfortably leading in China... But then, lap after lap, the kerbs kept getting the best of me and I spun out several times. Went from 1st on the second last lap to finishing 9th. :well:

Sometimes I have absolutely no problems with the kerbs at all for the longest while, but other times they always catch me and I spin.

#96 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,194 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 21:38

Short answer, dont.

its part of the challenge, is it not?

#97 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:11

its part of the challenge, is it not?

Never have i experienced this issue on any other sim/racer, basically its a sticky ripple strip issue. As UPRC said earlier, it only happens on certain tracks. I had no issues on Melbourne, and was consistently able to do lap after lap. Then right after Melbourne, i tried Monaco and its like the ripple strips there have their own gravity.As soon as i touch them, it turns me around (with or without throttle on). Happens mainly at turn 7 (Mirabeau Bas), the first of the double right hander leading on the the back straight. Apple to oranges, it doesnt happen in GT5 using the F10.

#98 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,453 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 14:13

Never have i experienced this issue on any other sim/racer, basically its a sticky ripple strip issue. As UPRC said earlier, it only happens on certain tracks. I had no issues on Melbourne, and was consistently able to do lap after lap. Then right after Melbourne, i tried Monaco and its like the ripple strips there have their own gravity.As soon as i touch them, it turns me around (with or without throttle on). Happens mainly at turn 7 (Mirabeau Bas), the first of the double right hander leading on the the back straight. Apple to oranges, it doesnt happen in GT5 using the F10.

I have never once had an issue with the kerbs at Monaco on F1 2010, not even the supposedly dangerous ones at the chicanes near the end of the track. The kerbs at Barcelona manage to nail me every single time, though.

If they're fixing the issues with the kerbing on F1 2011, then that's nice, but I have a feeling I'll just be sticking with F1 2010 until 2011 goes down in price. They don't seem to have done anything majorly impressive, to me--all the major, game-changing elements are probably a result of this season's rule-changes rather than any particular improvements.

Edited by Afterburner, 22 July 2011 - 14:15.

#99 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,426 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:34

TV style cameras and shorter loading times is all I really want :|

Advertisement

#100 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,453 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 22:24

TV style cameras and shorter loading times is all I really want :|

If you're playing F1 2010 on the Xbox 360, install the game to your hard-drive. It'll halve the load times, though you'll still have to wait for the tips to go away sometimes.

And I think it would be neat if F1 2011 had a spectator option, as well as a "real events" option, which makes the AI run the race in a similar manner to the way they did in real life (e.g. same tyre strategies, lap times, safety cars, retirments/overtakes on respective laps, etc.). F1 World Grand Prix 1997 had this option, and though the simulation didn't replicate the exact lap times and location of overtakes/retirements, the race results, driver pace, and pit stop strategies always matched real life. It would be interesting to see what they could do with this concept now that they have much more computing power at their disposal, though I don't think it's something that we'll be seeing from Codemasters.