Photo

F1 2011

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

#101 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,411 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:47

If you're playing F1 2010 on the Xbox 360, install the game to your hard-drive. It'll halve the load times, though you'll still have to wait for the tips to go away sometimes.

And I think it would be neat if F1 2011 had a spectator option, as well as a "real events" option, which makes the AI run the race in a similar manner to the way they did in real life (e.g. same tyre strategies, lap times, safety cars, retirments/overtakes on respective laps, etc.). F1 World Grand Prix 1997 had this option, and though the simulation didn't replicate the exact lap times and location of overtakes/retirements, the race results, driver pace, and pit stop strategies always matched real life. It would be interesting to see what they could do with this concept now that they have much more computing power at their disposal, though I don't think it's something that we'll be seeing from Codemasters.

Got PS3 and takes a bit to load, twice as much as dirt3 i reckon.

I'd like a spectator option too, some of us enjoy the visual masturbation of saved replays and the computer racing itself (perhaps the gran turismo inclined, like myself), but I'm aware of f1's AI issues making this tricky.

Oh and uploading customisable helmets (for consoles), should be straighforward, especially seeing how you can do detailed faces in FIFA and thats a bit more difficult.

Advertisement

#102 havocas

havocas

• 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:34

Short answer, dont.

Why, the grippy ripple strips that cause you to spin out are so frustrating. Try setting a hotlap around Monaco and you will find out pretty quickly. Apparently this issue has been addressed in F1 2011.

2010 was such a dissappointment and im so glad i didnt buy it.

i'm not taking the plunge into 2011 until i know for sure things like have been addressed. at this moment i dont trust those lying folk from CM so lets wait and see.

#103 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 23:13

i'm not taking the plunge into 2011 until i know for sure things like have been addressed. at this moment i dont trust those lying folk from CM so lets wait and see.

I really like 2010 actually, and once they fixed the pitlane bug it became a lot of fun. It doesn't feel like the right sort of game to play on my PC though (I bought it on Steam). I'll probably pick up 2011 for my PS3 instead. Codemasters' F1 games are definitely in the same vein as the Bizarre Creations/Psygnosis F1 games of the lates 90s in that they are more suited to playing on your couch than anything else, I find.

#104 m0912329

m0912329

• 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 20:04

To me F1 2011 looks better, but if there was one thing F1 2010 did right it was the graphics.

I can't agree on this! The game had a yellow filter like in most Codemasters games! F1 2011 seems to remove a lot of this if that's what you are talking about

#105 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 16:24

how can you really judge something you never bought?

#106 mtknot

mtknot

• 646 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 15:44

I just take a line that doesnt need the kerbs these days whenever there are those kerbs of death... and its not like they give that much of a time advantage anyway- on simulators i find going on the kerb kills traction.

As for the pitlane bug, its quite easy to avoid....

Quite a fun game with loads of replay value somehow. They say the AI doesnt battle hard and doesnt do mistakes, but I see jenson button, spinning on the last lap, hamilton colliding with vettel in a heated battle, etc.

Edited by mtknot, 07 August 2011 - 15:46.

#107 A3

A3

• 20,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 17:23

on simulators i find going on the kerb kills traction.

No experience with iracing?;)

It depends on the kind of kerb, they're not all the same. In F1 2010 the only way to ride some kerbs was with your wheel straightened out.

#108 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 21:10

It is a widely distributed PC and console racer that is meant to garner mass appeal, just like Codemasters' other franchises. They never even called it a simulator.

F1 2010 is a very fun game and I only seeing it being torn apart by:
a) People who had ridiculously high expectations.
b) People who, for some daft reason, thought they were getting a sim.

Does the game have a few flaws and such? Heck yeah, all games do... But is F1 2010 still a good game? Indeed it is. Anyone who says otherwise about a critically acclaimed game that won a BAFTA just looks silly.

I disagree because I was frustrated by the game and I am categorically not a sim racer. They dont appeal, and I ceratinly didnt have 'ridiculosly high expectations' ahead of picking up the game.

I'll explain why - compare F1 2010 to F1CE. Both have their limitations and flaws but thats not the point. Both are games I have played a lot and got a lot of enjoyment from - I dont really slate either game. But F1 2010, for me, had some really annoying flaws.

Cars that spin on kerbs - Singapore for example. You cant even take the right line in places FFS.
Cars that go to slow - All of Canada, the corner before the new bit in Bharain - you just go sailing by cars or close the gap by anout 1.5 seconds in a corner.
Its far to easy.

These are all things I can realistically expect from a game in my opinoin - they are not present in other games and those games do allow me to run a proper race if I want. On F1 2010 it wasnt really possible, you had to live with the flaws. Its not to say I didnt enjoy the game because I did, but it was also the F1 game that I have had which frustrated me the most at times.

I would like to see these fixed in 2011 version and if thats all they do - great. I'll be first in the queue to buy a copy.

Edited by Burtros, 07 August 2011 - 21:10.

#109 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:42

Gameplay, physics still look awful.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#110 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 17:42

#111 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 20:14

I don't know how you can judge anything physics-wise just by how it looks. If we go on the overall look of the driving, plus the feedback from community members in the video that rm111 just posted, it seems like the driving is a lot more 'natural' and the cars feel better. We've seen videos where the cars get very oversteery (something that was absent from 2010 unless you were actually spinning), the steering action looks quicker and more fluid, and the AI look less jerky and more like natural driving.

#112 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:39

Well, in the video that Andy posted, it looks an awful lot like F1 2010, some more lockups and that's that.
Still, after changing the setups and driving closer to the edge it might feel different.

Developer diary 2

Some more bs.
Exactly who told you that the handling was good in F1 2010?
Balance between handling and AI in F1 2010 as a foundation :rolleyes:

#113 bub

bub

• 2,171 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:15

Only problems I had with 2010 was waiting in the pits & ghost cars on the way in/out of the pist. Also i use a ps3 pad & you have to be extremely gentle with the throttle.

#114 squiresm

squiresm

• 37 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:09

Well, in the video that Andy posted, it looks an awful lot like F1 2010, some more lockups and that's that.
Still, after changing the setups and driving closer to the edge it might feel different.

Developer diary 2

Some more bs.
Exactly who told you that the handling was good in F1 2010? Balance between handling and AI in F1 2010 as a foundation :rolleyes:

Probably Anthony Davidson.

#115 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:13

Probably Anthony Davidson.

Someone should dig up his comments about the last F1 car he raced, for shits and giggles..

#116 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,183 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:08

I wasn't really sure whether to buy this game after F1 2010, however this may have proven me otherwise:

AndyGray_
Hang on, what's this? That's right, the SAFETY CAR IS IN!!! yfrog.com/h4r25pxj

#117 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:14

It will certainly not be an instant buy like 2010 but if they have fixed the handling of the car and especially the feedback effects then I might be tempted.

#118 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:48

Yep, just read on Twitter that the Safety Car is in the game for races 20% and over.

#119 A3

A3

• 20,514 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:58

AndyGray_
Hang on, what's this? That's right, the SAFETY CAR IS IN!!! yfrog.com/h4r25pxj

I'm awaiting the comments about the safety car being deployed too often and it that it drives around for too many laps.;)

Advertisement

#120 pRy

pRy

• 10,886 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:31

I wasn't really sure whether to buy this game after F1 2010, however this may have proven me otherwise:

Well what makes you buy the game is up to you but I'm not sure I'd base buying the game on a gimmick like a safety car that will only effect about 1% of the overall gameplay experience. I'm more interested in all the other features really such as handling, real AI driving real laps around the circuit and other features.

#121 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 653 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:20

Well what makes you buy the game is up to you but I'm not sure I'd base buying the game on a gimmick like a safety car that will only effect about 1% of the overall gameplay experience. I'm more interested in all the other features really such as handling, real AI driving real laps around the circuit and other features.

At least we know that Codies had listen to the request from the fans. Now I sure that they will listen yours.

#122 A3

A3

• 20,514 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:55

I heard in a video hands on that the multiplayer mode will have 16 players max, the rest is filled up by AI. What??? Is that a console limitation or something?

#123 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 14:10

Basically, yes.

The new fora has unlimited(!) AI numbers but 16 online max as well.

#124 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:26

The handling model has had a complete overhaul - you can now bounce the car over the kerbs like they do in real life. The AI will be driving real laps this year as well.

#125 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:48

Any news on better force feedback for this title? I thought the force feedback was pretty weak in F1 2010! I want my arms to feel the burn!! :lol:

#126 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:50

The finger is in the game :clap:.

#127 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:17

The second of the developers diary

#128 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:16

The handling model has had a complete overhaul - you can now bounce the car over the kerbs like they do in real life. The AI will be driving real laps this year as well.

In qualfying and practise?

#129 mtknot

mtknot

• 646 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:43

I love how they reenacted the races so far, including the flight of petrov :L :love:

#130 mtknot

mtknot

• 646 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:25

from this vid, the AI seems to be greatly improved.... Seems impossible to banzai people, and the AI are quite good at braking.

#131 pRy

pRy

• 10,886 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:07

haha some really good moments replicated. Sadly I'm not sure how much of that would happen in a normal in-game race.

#132 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 755 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:04

Looks awesome.

I need to buy it, if only to get rain effects back (the 2010 patch broke the graphics for lot of PC gamers and Codemasters just walked away and never fixed it).

#133 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:55

from this vid, the AI seems to be greatly improved.... Seems impossible to banzai people, and the AI are quite good at braking.

Im not convinced (yet), it seemed like the player kept slowing down to let them back through, and he almost rams into the back of the Ferrari at the end!! The AI corner exit speeds seemed a little slow!

Still excited though!! :drunk:

#134 bub

bub

• 2,171 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:57

Can't wait

#135 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 20:09

The cars (especially the McLaren) seem to shine a bit too much. Probably pretty hard to get reflections right on the chrome paint.

Edited by Enkei, 18 August 2011 - 20:09.

#136 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 20:27

Im not convinced (yet), it seemed like the player kept slowing down to let them back through, and he almost rams into the back of the Ferrari at the end!! The AI corner exit speeds seemed a little slow!

Still excited though!! :drunk:

It looks alot more promising, esp when you think thats only on Intermediate A.I. you've still got hard and expert to go, so they certainly look far more competitive this year. :up:

#137 Kiwi

Kiwi

• 415 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 20:44

Looks awesome.

I need to buy it, if only to get rain effects back (the 2010 patch broke the graphics for lot of PC gamers and Codemasters just walked away and never fixed it).

This is what pissed me off the most about this game. I used to really enjoy playing it and put up with the the bugs pre-patch, but was hugely disappointed when the patch introduced new issues which as you say, they walked away from. At that point it was screw you guys, we are concentrating on 2011 now.

I really looked forward to 2010 and purchased it on release day, but no way will I do that with 2011. Sure, it all looks nice and the new features are welcome but the problem with these games is that the devil is in the detail. I will wait for it to be released and then wait for the actual player reviews to come in before I decide to purchase.

#138 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:50

A vid of someone driving around monza in the wet on inters, looks a bit more slippery than last year.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#139 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 760 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:52

What worries me regarding the developers is they seem to be in denial about half of the problems from last years version (namely AI). It was by and large shocking. I think they realised just how slow the AI was relative to the player late in development and so fudged it so they were at reasonably quick.

At least they've fixed the kerb problem anyway, so it should at least be more fun to drive around on your own.

Advertisement

#140 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 21:01

What worries me regarding the developers is they seem to be in denial about half of the problems from last years version (namely AI). It was by and large shocking. I think they realised just how slow the AI was relative to the player late in development and so fudged it so they were at reasonably quick.

At least they've fixed the kerb problem anyway, so it should at least be more fun to drive around on your own.

In their presentation at Gamescom (here) the Codies guys do admit that the AI was lacking, admitting that they can ruin the flow of the race, by braking in odd places etc. They also say they've adjusted how they behave in the heat of battle, as last year's was rather simplistic in that they knew how to react to an overtake, but didn't know what to do next...

They do sound in denial when they say last year's handling was great (it was ok, but not 'natural'), but then they also say they've thrown it out and implemented a completely new suspension model (which, if the Alguersuari kerb riding video is legit, looks IMMENSE) and have made the cars much more lively and natural feeling.

#141 pingualoty

pingualoty

• 239 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 23:49

Nice vid showing racing and DRS, kers and pitstop.

#142 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:23

The actual racing vids look good. The trailers look aweful with cars seemingly on rails. There are some funny bits though, the flying Heidfeld, the finger... :p

Anyways I will probably get it. I just hope they fix the difficulty especially and make the AI smarter and more consistent (not 2 seconds slower in one corner and breezing past in another). The highest difficulty should be the most realistic one. I want to feel that I have to drive on my absolute limit and get the limit out of the car I'm driving. If I drive a Red Bull and drive a somewhat less than perfect lap and still take pole, that's alright. If I drive a Merc I might push out a podium at maximum, when I'm in a TR or Williams I should be only able to get some minor points. And please, no more winning the championship in a Virgin or Lotus....

#143 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 15:29

In qualfying and practise?

Yep, Practice, Qually and the race - and its for that reason you cannot save mid-session.

#144 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 17:31

The actual racing vids look good. The trailers look aweful with cars seemingly on rails. There are some funny bits though, the flying Heidfeld, the finger... :p

Anyways I will probably get it. I just hope they fix the difficulty especially and make the AI smarter and more consistent (not 2 seconds slower in one corner and breezing past in another). The highest difficulty should be the most realistic one. I want to feel that I have to drive on my absolute limit and get the limit out of the car I'm driving. If I drive a Red Bull and drive a somewhat less than perfect lap and still take pole, that's alright. If I drive a Merc I might push out a podium at maximum, when I'm in a TR or Williams I should be only able to get some minor points. And please, no more winning the championship in a Virgin or Lotus....

That was the only problem for me, that when I got better at the driving within the game, if I wanted to restart my career I could win the title first time out, even though I could only choose from Lotus, Virgin or Hispania. You should only be able to snatch a few points here and there, with wet races and the way games allow for more variation. I'd also like to see more of this development that the teams are supposed to go through each season, because the way they explained it you could make Virgin or whoever a frontrunner if you stayed with them and consistently improved, but I've done the 5 seasons with them and Di Grassi was never any higher than 12th-14th despite me being able to get pole and wins...

#145 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:12

Nice vid showing racing and DRS, kers and pitstop.

From the various vids i can tell that accelerating out of the corner has changed, there's lots of instances where you opposite locking and people lifting the throttle.

Not so sure about the braking, the lockups i've seen look weird, people are always locking both front tyres, not just the inside one.
And i'm still to see the back step out on someone on the corner entry.

Then again it might be a lot different once you change the brake balance

#146 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 15:06

From the various vids i can tell that accelerating out of the corner has changed, there's lots of instances where you opposite locking and people lifting the throttle.

Not so sure about the braking, the lockups i've seen look weird, people are always locking both front tyres, not just the inside one.
And i'm still to see the back step out on someone on the corner entry.

Then again it might be a lot different once you change the brake balance

I think we're seeing full front lockups because the game is still relatively green to people, even the developers who still have to try each build etc. which could have huge differences from the one preceding it. They're not fully used to the braking (with ABS off I assume) and thus lockup big time...

#147 pRy

pRy

• 10,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 13:11

That's the 'season so far' video. Would have worked better if they'd cut to the real footage during each sequence for a few seconds then back to the game. But it's still quite nifty.

#148 Lights

Lights

• 9,332 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 14:01

Seems like they forgot the flexi-wings.

#149 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,093 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 15:36

So does that mean my Renault can fly in game too?

#150 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 18:08

Seems like they forgot the flexi-wings.

sarcasm or serious?