Photo

1963 F1 regulations

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:52

A friend who is rebuilding a mid sixties F1 car is looking for a copy of the 1963 regulations but cannot find them on the net--any suggestions?

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 23:34

1 Engine capacity less than 1500cc, greater than 1300cc
2 No superchargers
3 commercial fuel as specified by the FIA
4 Minimum weight 450kg in working order including lubricant and coolant but without fuel. No removable ballast.
5 Compulsory automatic started with an electrical or other source of energy capable of being controlled by the driver at the steering wheel.
6 Car shall be equipped with a general electrical circuit-breaker either operating automatically or under the control of the driver
7 Driver's seat capable of being occupied or abandoned without it being necessary to open a door or remove a body panel
8 A fastening system for a safety belt is demanded, the belt itself being optional
9 A roll-over protection bar is compulsory, complying with the following requirements:
(a) it shall not overhang the driver's seat
(b) it shall exceed in height the driver's head when he is seated at the steering wheel
© it shall exceed in width the driver's shoulders when he is sitting at the wheel
10 All the wheels shall be exterior to the body. so that the vertical projection be contained within the figure drawn by the vehicle wheels when the front wheels are pointing dead ahead
11 A double braking system is compulsory; operated by the same foot pedal and defined as follows:
(a) the pedal shall control the four wheels in the normal way
(b) in case of a leakage at any point of the brake system pipe lines, or any kind of failure in the brake transmission system, the pedal shall still control at least two wheels of one same axle
12 Fuel tanks must comply with the following requirements:
(a) the filling port(s) and their cap(s) shall not protrude beyond the coachwork material
(b) the opening shall have a sufficient diameter to allow the air to be expelled at the time of quick refuelling (with particular reference to pressure fuelling systems, and if necessary the breather-pipe connecting te tank to the atmosphere shall be such as to avoid any liquid leakage during refuelling or running
13 No replenishing of lubricant is allowed throughout the duration of a race.
A catch-tank shall be fitted into which the breathers from crankcase, oil tank and transmission are led, to avoid oil being spilled on the track

#3 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 00:27

Many thanks Roger, he is looking for the fine print-body/chassis dimensional requirements?

#4 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:49

Many thanks Roger, he is looking for the fine print-body/chassis dimensional requirements?

David, I rather think there were none, other than 7 and 10 above. It was only after aerodynamics were 'discovered' that it became necessary to progressively add dimensional restrictions on the coachwork. For the mid-engined years prior to that, the cars were just designed wide enough to fit in the driver, fuel and engine; narrow and low to reduce frontal area and keep the mass and CofG low; and smooth to minimise Cd.

At least, that's how it always seemed to me.

Andy

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:06

My friends concern is
" something dealing with an aspect ratio which I interpreted as meaning the length of the nose can't protrude beyond 2/3rds of the length of the track width of the car. "

Is there anything in the rules about that?

#6 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,202 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:29

I'm surprised there were that many rules in 1963! The 1961 formula was probably the first one ever that could not be made to fit into a single sentence.

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:50

David, I rather think there were none, other than 7 and 10 above. It was only after aerodynamics were 'discovered' that it became necessary to progressively add dimensional restrictions on the coachwork. For the mid-engined years prior to that, the cars were just designed wide enough to fit in the driver, fuel and engine; narrow and low to reduce frontal area and keep the mass and CofG low; and smooth to minimise Cd.

At least, that's how it always seemed to me.

Andy

A minimum bodywork width at the cockpit was always specified in the pre-war International Formulas, sometimes combined with a minimum frontal area, but I'm almost certain this was dropped in the 1947 Formula.

Michael's "single sentence" premise is almost true: the 1947 rules were much simpler than anything the CSI came up with between the wars! Perhaps someone had explained the KISS principle to them? ;)

#8 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 19:09

A friend who is rebuilding a mid sixties F1 car is looking for a copy of the 1963 regulations but cannot find them on the net--any suggestions?

David, can you tell us which car your friend is rebuilding?

#9 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 19:36

It is the Emeryson/Scirroco (sp?) that escaped to Canada and was subsequently fitted with Buick 215 V8. I don't believe it ever ran in F1 but it's sisters did-TNFer Peter Morley has one I think?

Engine start-owner Dave Trueman starts her up for the first time since rebuild. If I had been there I would have wanted to see more revs...

Edited by David Birchall, 06 June 2011 - 19:39.

#10 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:43

It is the Emeryson/Scirroco (sp?) that escaped to Canada and was subsequently fitted with Buick 215 V8. I don't believe it ever ran in F1 but it's sisters did-TNFer Peter Morley has one I think?

Engine start-owner Dave Trueman starts her up for the first time since rebuild. If I had been there I would have wanted to see more revs...

Yes I've had both Emeryson and Scirocco F1s, I'm in contact with Dave and have given him what information I can.

I've not seen any rules about bodywork, the rules as given in Motorsport April 1961 are pretty much as given by Roger Clark - very little (nothing!) in the way of technical regulation like we see today.

Peter

#11 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 15:03

My friends concern is
" something dealing with an aspect ratio which I interpreted as meaning the length of the nose can't protrude beyond 2/3rds of the length of the track width of the car. "

Is there anything in the rules about that?

Thanks Peter and others. I think Dave had misread something in the past. I have sent him these comments.

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 16:07

I think that the first step towards rules controlling every aspect of the bodywork dimensions came at the 1969 Dutch Grand Prix when the rules limiting wings were introduced.

#13 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 19:03

Thanks, David.

You're Canadian, I think? Hope that means the Scirocco will make its way to California sometime as I'd love to see it. It was racing when I first got interested in F1 and since the Scirocco was semi-American, it was a favorite of mine even though the results were slim and therefore didn't get many photos or info published about it.

#14 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 15:53

9 A roll-over protection bar is compulsory, complying with the following requirements:
(a) it shall not overhang the driver's seat
(b) it shall exceed in height the driver's head when he is seated at the steering wheel
© it shall exceed in width the driver's shoulders when he is sitting at the wheel

Not sure many cars complied with the width of rollover bar stipulation © ?

#15 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 17:15

Not sure many cars complied with the width of rollover bar stipulation © ?

I thought that, most were barely wider than the driver's neck! Presumably the top chassis rail counted as part of the roll bar!

It's a bit like the modern situation where having accepted a little stick in front of the cockpit that is higher than the steering wheel counts as the forward roll over bar, now the poor dears complain that the little bits of rubber hurt their hands - if the cars met the rules as intended it wouldn't happen.