• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 15:54

Another obscure mystery of motorsport.

I'm searching about the date of birth and date of death of Vincenzo Trucco

He was a pioneer of Italian racing. As a factory driver for Isotta Fraschini, Trucco won the third edition of the Targa Florio in 1908, beating Vincenzo Lancia in a Fiat and Ernesto Ceirano in a SPA. That day, his riding mechanic was a young Alfieri Maserati.
That same year Trucco won the Padua-Bovolenta speed race.
In 1913 Trucco was one of the three works drivers that Isotta Fraschini entered in the Indianapolis 500. All of them, Trucco and his American team mates Harry Grant and Teddy Tetzlaff did not finish the race.
Trucco's last result as a racing driver was a victory in a touring-car race at Monza in 1923 (by book "70 Anni di Gare Automobilistiche in Italia" by E. A. Carli).

What did happen to Vincenzo Trucco, after this date? Did he race again or quit racing? Did he go on working for Isotta Fraschini?
Nothing is available in the web.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 21:07

Good luck Nanni - I've been trying to search for Trucco's details on the web since 2003 - one of the three "obscure" chaps Donald Davidson tasked me with finding - Max Sailer and Douglas Hawkes long, long, since solved.

Any progress with this will be keenly followed, but I pretty much knew the same, albeit slightly less than you.

But there's many a Italian Indy mystery - Letterio Cucinotta, Giovanni Porporato and Giovanni Rossi complete the quarter - any progress with them too would be brilliant.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:36

Surely Jean Porporato was French?

Can't help with his dates, or those of Lettorio Picolo Cucinotta, and I don't recall a Rossi in that era at all

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:29

Surely Jean Porporato was French?

Can't help with his dates, or those of Lettorio Picolo Cucinotta, and I don't recall a Rossi in that era at all

Porporato was French-Italian, similiar to Alesi. He was born in Serasca, but grew up in France.

Rossi, I think was just a mechanical friend of Cucinotta who came and decided to have a go - I'm not aware of him doing much else.