Photo

Australian Gold Star race numbers c1970

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 19:29

I wonder if any of our Australian contributors can help with this.

In the late 60s / earlier 70s did competitors in the Gold Star had standard race numbers that carried forward from round to round (as is the modern practice generally) ? And did ALL circuits conform ?

If so when did this start ?

And what happened in New Zealand ?

Thanks
RAP for Formula One Register

Advertisement

#2 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 20:59

If you click my signature at the bottom of this post, you will see the information that I have. There will be an update within the week too with more car numbers.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 21:36

It was generally the same numbers for each of the major competitors each round...

That wasn't by any regulated means, merely preference of the competitors being honoured by the organisers. Some of that went on way back, Lex Davison wearing No 4, Bib Stillwell always No 6, Spencer Martin's number changed a bit (7 and 1?) sometimes, but towards the end of the sixties everyone seemed happy with the numbers.

Bartlett No 5, Cusack 7, Col Green 7 later, Allen 2, etc. John Walker liked 25. But it often got upset when the International series were on, with visitors getting first call on numbers.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:51

The situation in NZ was similar

Back in the early '50s George Smith was always 44, Ron Roycroft 19 for his main car (and 88 for his back-up) and so on. I guess race organisers knew the favoured numbers, and allocated them accordingly. If the drivers requested them, they would have to have done so by covering letter, as there was rarely provision for "preferred number" on entry forms

But there were always exceptions. By 1958, for example, Ross Jensen was virtually always 18, but was allocated other numbers for three major races, though that had dropped to one exception by 1959

By the late 1960s the NZRDC was administering a scheme whereby drivers requested a permanent number, and race organisers were advised of this before the season. But I'm fairly sure the circuits retained the final say even then, and occasionally would depart from the list

#5 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:40

The situation in NZ was similar

Back in the early '50s George Smith was always 44, Ron Roycroft 19 for his main car (and 88 for his back-up) and so on. I guess race organisers knew the favoured numbers, and allocated them accordingly. If the drivers requested them, they would have to have done so by covering letter, as there was rarely provision for "preferred number" on entry forms

But there were always exceptions. By 1958, for example, Ross Jensen was virtually always 18, but was allocated other numbers for three major races, though that had dropped to one exception by 1959

By the late 1960s the NZRDC was administering a scheme whereby drivers requested a permanent number, and race organisers were advised of this before the season. But I'm fairly sure the circuits retained the final say even then, and occasionally would depart from the list

Thanks chaps
RAP