Photo

Jenson Button's Triathlon Ambitions

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 921 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:02

Has JB ever done an interview saying what he wants to achieve from triathlon? He's pretty good at them and, given the competetive nature of F1 drivers, wonder if he fancies trying for the world tri championship and matching Jackie Stewart as world champ in two sports?

I'm doing my first tri this month and, sad as it may seem, have found JB to be quite an inspirational figure while I've been training.

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:06

http://www.timesonli...icle4032674.ece
Button says he began triathlon training a year ago partly to boost his stamina and partly out of boredom. “I go to Lanzarote to train at the Club La Santa, which is used by Olympic athletes because it's warm all year round. They do mini-triathlons there, so I got into doing it.”

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:15

From what I know he just does it for fun. Don't think he has ever really won one, maybe only won in his age category or something. Not possible to compete on world championship level obviously.

#4 Dunc

Dunc

• 921 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:19

From what I know he just does it for fun. Don't think he has ever really won one, maybe only won in his age category or something. Not possible to compete on world championship level obviously.

Not right now but if he leaves F1 when his McLaren contract expires in five years he could still have a shot at the title if he switched to full-time training. Maybe he could drag the burd along: http://www.dailymail...-triathlon.html

#5 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:22

What we should keep in mind of course is that according to some local experts the triathlon training is hurting his abilities inside the car. So by that token who knows, maybe all it takes for Button to genuinely outpace and beat Hamilton is to stop doing that stuff... :smoking:

#6 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:35

What we should keep in mind of course is that according to some local experts the triathlon training is hurting his abilities inside the car. So by that token who knows, maybe all it takes for Button to genuinely outpace and beat Hamilton is to stop doing that stuff... :smoking:

Since my triathlon is Pizza, Chips and a cold beverage I would be interested to hear how this is bad for Button. Hopefully I can convince my wife that exercise will harm my ability to cut the grass. :lol:

#7 TonyS2

TonyS2

• 41 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 14:42

Has JB ever done an interview saying what he wants to achieve from triathlon? He's pretty good at them and, given the competetive nature of F1 drivers, wonder if he fancies trying for the world tri championship and matching Jackie Stewart as world champ in two sports?

What other sport was Jackie Stewart World Champion in ? I know he had some success with clay pigeon shooting, but World Champion? Don't know about that !

#8 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 14:58

I'm doing my first tri this month and, sad as it may seem, have found JB to be quite an inspirational figure while I've been training.

He comes about 100th in the big events doesn't he? I don't think even if he has the basic talent he can train intensively enough to be really in the top class. Even if he had the time the intensity of endurance training could slow him down for car control. To really be good you have to devote yourself and train right to the injury limit. As you've been finding out I expect :) :up: .

#9 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 17:28

Since my triathlon is Pizza, Chips and a cold beverage I would be interested to hear how this is bad for Button. Hopefully I can convince my wife that exercise will harm my ability to cut the grass. :lol:

That should be pretty easy to prove! :D

#10 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 17:34

I suspect it would take a hell of a lot of dedication for JB to be trully competitive with the top level athletes in triathlon. As far as I can see it's an interesting method for him to achieve the fitness he requires for F1- probably a lot more motovational than staring at a wall in a gym.

#11 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 17:56

Jenson,He has no chance of going to top and does it for fun.Mr Don is king of British event and he will be lucky to get in top 15 at next years jamboree.Anyone got a ticket?

Remember there was going to be a Hamilton/Button challenge Triathlon match but Hammy's old man put a stop to it.Spoilsport.

#12 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:31

Remember there was going to be a Hamilton/Button challenge Triathlon match but Hammy's old man put a stop to it.Spoilsport.

Such a shame that Hamilton senior got involved. That was great banter!

#13 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 13:47

There was an article here on Autosport about one of Jenson's triathlons and, noting he had a bike problem that cost a lot of time, he did really well. (It was only a girly Olympic Distance triathlon rather than a proper one).

He was fast enough to be competitive at the top level, maybe not champion, but right up there. And anyway, in between races, what else does he have to do? He only needs two hours a day to train for a proper triathlon, so surely his F1 commitments give him a lot more than that.

#14 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 13:48

Jenson's triathlon ambitions?

To have fun :)

#15 Drummingcat

Drummingcat

• 211 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 14:44

Jenson did a Triathlon here in Guernsey I think he placed in the top ten, but admitted that there were some fantastic triathletes over here.

I dont think he's got any serious triathlon ambitions to be honest, he didnt seem to be too gutted about getting his butt whipped on a small island with a 65K population!

Also he did a bike time trial here the other week and he remarked that he was a bit surprised that 2 women over the age of 40 placed above him, so I dont think he's taking his ambitions too seriously. :drunk:

#16 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:13

(It was only a girly Olympic Distance triathlon rather than a proper one)

What you mean by girly??? I know girls who are tremendous athletes

And Olympic distance triathons are proper triathons, 1.5 km swim , 40 km bike , and 10 km run , at fast pace is not an easy task,
have you done one in a decent time???

#17 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:49

What other sport was Jackie Stewart World Champion in ? I know he had some success with clay pigeon shooting, but World Champion? Don't know about that !

He was British and European champion at clays. I don't think there was a World championship then, only the Olympic title for which he didn't qualify for the UK team. Then racing took over all his time.

#18 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:50

Difference between Ironman and Triathlons?

Thought he did a half ironman.

#19 Ampersand

Ampersand

• 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:55

What you mean by girly???

:up: Seriously, I'm getting so fed up with feminity being used to imply weakness on these boards.

Advertisement

#20 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:10

Got to be PC!

Many of us understood what was being said.No problems.

An Olympic Tri is nowhere near as tough as Ironman.

Simmer old chaps.

#21 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:19

:up: Seriously, I'm getting so fed up with feminity being used to imply weakness on these boards.

In contrast to masculinity, feminity is the weaker trait - that's nature (mostly) so hush with the faux outrage pansy ;)

#22 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:11

What you mean by girly??? I know girls who are tremendous athletes

And Olympic distance triathons are proper triathons, 1.5 km swim , 40 km bike , and 10 km run , at fast pace is not an easy task,
have you done one in a decent time???

LOL. Lighten up!!
I did an OD triathlon in Sydney in 2 1/2 hours, it was pretty easy to pace myself. And yes, a woman on my team whooped me by about 10 minutes. :blush:
(I went for a decent ride after the event)

I've also done a long course, 2km swim, 85km ride and 21km run (not the full Half Ironman) in a tad over 5 hours. That took some effort and now I'm in training for a full distance event.

#23 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 15:22

LOL. Lighten up!!
I did an OD triathlon in Sydney in 2 1/2 hours, it was pretty easy to pace myself. And yes, a woman on my team whooped me by about 10 minutes. :blush:
(I went for a decent ride after the event)

I've also done a long course, 2km swim, 85km ride and 21km run (not the full Half Ironman) in a tad over 5 hours. That took some effort and now I'm in training for a full distance event.

Well , I 've done OD tris myself and I was slower 2.40, and it wasn't easy for me I'm 42 by the way. It may be very easy for you, but I'm sure it isn't for most of us . I find odd that and athlete like yourself who is training for an IM minimize the Olympic distance tri, you have to start somewhere I'm sure that after F1 Jenson will give a try at longer distance triathlons . Enjoy your IM

Edited by Santosdf, 13 June 2011 - 15:37.