Photo

Ricardo Rodriguez - the American

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 23:41

Does anyone know anything about the American driver Ricardo Rodriguez? He ran at Le Mans in 1967, ironically, as a teammate of unrelated Pedro Rodriguez, in the #26 NART Ferrari, co-driving with Chuck Parsons.

One of them suffered an accident that put them out in the fourth hour. Any information about him and vital statistics (birth date and if relevant, death date, etc.), as well as any information about who started, who was involved in the accident or other details, I'd very much like to know.

Thanks, TC

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:20

In the report of the race in Autosport there's a photo captioned:

'Trying in vain to extract his rebodied P2 Ferrari from the Mulsanne sand is Ricardo Rodriguez (no relation to Pedro) as the Hulme/Ruby Ford, lights ablaze, sweeps by.'

The car looks essentially undamaged, so could presumably have continued if Rodriguez had been able to free it from the sandbank.

The car also appears in another photo, but the only other mention in the text is in the list of best practice times, which shows that Rodriguez set the best time in the car of 3 min 55.8 sec.

#3 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:10

Does anyone know anything about the American driver Ricardo Rodriguez? He ran at Le Mans in 1967, ironically, as a teammate of unrelated Pedro Rodriguez, in the #26 NART Ferrari, co-driving with Chuck Parsons.

One of them suffered an accident that put them out in the fourth hour. Any information about him and vital statistics (birth date and if relevant, death date, etc.), as well as any information about who started, who was involved in the accident or other details, I'd very much like to know.

Thanks, TC

In Americans at Le Mans, Bochroch has him as Richard Rodriguez with the 1967 race as his only attempt. ACO book has him as Ricardo, and I wonder if that was an error.

Is that you, Tim?

Woody

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:45

Luis Henrique Santos' Le Mans History site has his name as Rogelio Rodriguez:

http://www.lemans-hi...mp;equipa_seq=0

He's also in the list of DNS in 1969 in a NART Ferrari #61, co-driving with Jimmy Mieusset and and Francois Migault:

http://www.lemans-hi...mp;equipa_seq=0

If Luis Henrique is right and if it's the same chap, he was Mexican and was again a DNS in a March with Patrick Neve at Silverstone in 1982:

http://www.racingspo...riguez-MEX.html

... and also did at least a couple of Canadian Formula Atlantic races:

http://www.oldracing...php?RaceID=K81H
http://www.oldracing...php?RaceID=K83F

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:20

I believe Rogelio Rodríguez was too young to have raced in 1967.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:41

Funny you should say that, Michael. I remember his name from Atlantic, and had the feeling he was a youngster. Wasn't confident enough to say so before you got it first :lol:

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 14:16

I believe Rogelio Rodríguez was too young to have raced in 1967.

Funny you should say that, Michael. I remember his name from Atlantic, and had the feeling he was a youngster. Wasn't confident enough to say so before you got it first :lol:

Rogelio Rodriguez was a regular in the US Formula Atlantic series c1982, driving for Tom Gloy's team, then known as Lane Racing. From paddock photos I have of him I would say that he was in his twenties then, which would put Le Mans 1967 well out of the question.
Tom

#8 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 15:31

According to my notes Rogelio Rodríguez was born on 05 May 1956.

#9 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 16:03

During a search for every individual driver attending les 24 heures du Mans I somehow found that Ricardo (Richard?) Rodriguez was born on 19xx.02x14. Reading it now I dont know what to make of the third x, but likely born on February 14th, unknown year, but likely to be in the 20th century.

Jesper

#10 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 16:30

That would be the birthday of the "real" Ricardo Rodríguez: 14 February 1942.

#11 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:56

Back to work on that one :blush:

Jesper

#12 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:56

In Americans at Le Mans, Bochroch has him as Richard Rodriguez with the 1967 race as his only attempt. ACO book has him as Ricardo, and I wonder if that was an error.

Is that you, Tim?

Woody

Yes, Woody, 'tis I, TC

#13 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 20:36

Yes, Woody, 'tis I, TC

Tim,

Jim Sitz is going to call you with some info on the mysterious Mr. Rodriguez.

Woody