* * * * - 4 votes

Timo Glock

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:19

I though it appropriate to start a thread about him, given he's great, and I can't see another thread about him.

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:35

Strangely this is probably the best reason I've seen a thread started.

#3 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:39

He is a top quality driver. What he did in Singapore and Korea last year was sensational stuff.

#4 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:40

In Toyota he was very fast in race.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:45

Fair enough :)

Well to start off Timo has been in the shade for the past year, although from what I've noticed he has been performing very well in the Virgin car. Hopefully enough to keep his name alive should he want a better drive, I've always liked Glock and he has plenty of talent that he isn't getting the opportunity to show.

Edited by Fastcake, 10 June 2011 - 19:48.

#6 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:54

If i were RBR i'd take a good look at him to support Vettel.

#7 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:54

Just to praphrase what John Booth said to David Croft on the subject of Timo: "Timo's been doing an excellent job. He's driving faster than the simulations tell us he should, so much so that we often have to change our race strategies to suit his pace." That was the gist of the message, so according to his team boss he's doing a helluva job :up:

#8 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:00

lways likeed Timo, a great fighter on the track, just watch him and Hamilton going toe to toe at turkey in '06 for about 3 laps. Had some fantastic drives at toyota, he guy clearly deserves a chance in a better car, him for "Quick" Nick and i'd be happy! :D

#9 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:03

Am I right in thinking he had a two year contract with Virgin? You've got to assume the lack of progress will mean he'll jump to almost any ship bar HRT. There's potential seats at:
FI (either replacing a somewhat stagnant Sutil or a promoted-to-Merc di Resta),
Williams (who knows what the future will bring there),
Renault (if Kubica's return doesn't pan out, Heidfeld isn't looking like a long-term solution.)
or Lotus (Trulli's interviews don't exactly scream somebody having fun out there. Sooner or later he's going to call it a day).

If he can't get one of those seats (most of the other teams either look like sticking with their line-up or having a favoured rookie to bring in to the sport), he is going to have to sit tight and hope that Pat does a better job than Nick. They might just have severed ties early enough that whatever group Pat is going to put together can use the end of this year as the foundation-building learning experience, rather than having to effictively tread-water for another year before a big push in 2013.

#10 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:47

think Timo is another to add too the underrated drivers list. his head did seem to drop a bit at the start of this season, but you cannot fault his 2010 season. he took the fight to the lotus' at pretty much every race when the virgin shouldnt have been close to it. hes a great little driver who again should be given a chance in a top drive and hopefully wont turn out to be a "fisichella"

one thing i have to say is it also makes Jerome look good too, hes done very well against Timo already and hopefully he will also have a good career in F1

#11 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:58

He does deserve a much better drive than he has now - I like him a lot as a driver, hopefully he'll manage to get a more fitting drive next year.

#12 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,420 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 22:05

Yeah Timo's a very good driver & I hope he gets a competitive car in the near future because seeing his talent go to waste would be a real shame.

#13 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,807 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 22:32

He does deserve a much better drive than he has now - I like him a lot as a driver, hopefully he'll manage to get a more fitting drive next year.

great driver :up:

#14 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,738 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 00:04

think Timo is another to add too the underrated drivers list. his head did seem to drop a bit at the start of this season, but you cannot fault his 2010 season. he took the fight to the lotus' at pretty much every race when the virgin shouldnt have been close to it. hes a great little driver who again should be given a chance in a top drive and hopefully wont turn out to be a "fisichella"

one thing i have to say is it also makes Jerome look good too, hes done very well against Timo already and hopefully he will also have a good career in F1

he is probaly getting sick of driving an uncompetitive car and knows he can do better and be with a better team. although he cant let dambrosio beat him too much either otherwise other teams might think that glock isnt the way to go. i think he is worthy of a upper midfield car like a renault

#15 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 00:09

I think he's underrated too, but unfortunately I think moving to Virgin when his stock was at its highest has been a tad disastrous. He's stuck in an uncompetitive car and is no longer flavour of the month because of it. And he isn't that young anymore either. Its a shame, and I hope he gets himself back in a better car before the end of his career. Somewhere like Williams could be good for him.

#16 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:00

i think we're on the cusp of a generational changeover, but is he no longer young enough to stand out? in a dud car too, obviously.

checks your PMs

#17 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:02

I'm not sure Vettel would relish that challenge.

#18 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:14

i think we're on the cusp of a generational changeover, but is he no longer young enough to stand out? in a dud car too, obviously.

checks your PMs

He'll be 30 at the start of next season and whilst I think that its easier for older drivers to find seats now than it was a couple of years ago, I guess with a relatively unproven (not race winning) driver like Glock that might come under consideration if he's competing against someone like Kobayashi for a drive.

#19 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:58

Posted Image

:up: Timos Singapur helmet!

Advertisement

#20 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:04

Nice lid :up:

#21 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:45

Nice lid :up:

Nice Quote! :up:

#22 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 17:54

Posted Image

#23 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:54

Glock is one of the winners of the race yesterday. Marussia moved to P10 in the WCC, which could be worth quite a few million Euro. He had to do an unplanned pit stop and drive with a half-broken car for most the race and manage a 34 lap last stint, which was possible due to the SC phases. I hope Marussia can build a car, which is closer to the midfield next year, so we can see him battling for important positions more often.

#24 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:13

Who knew Timo was still in F1! :eek:

Just kidding... I hope it is simply a case of Glock fans forgetting to look up this thread since 2011 and not a lack of fans for the superstar and mutliple podium winner. :)

#25 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:23

His interview with RTL are always a source of solid info and lots of fun.

#26 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:15

checks your PMs

I don't know about this generational changeover malarky, my understanding is that there is some concern among the F1 teams about the quality of the younger drivers coming through into GP2 and GP3. Glock may be around for a while yet.

#27 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:42

I don't know about this generational changeover malarky, my understanding is that there is some concern among the F1 teams about the quality of the younger drivers coming through into GP2 and GP3. Glock may be around for a while yet.

put him in a better car and he will surprise a few, sauber even.

#28 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:21

I think everyone above is wetting themselves about Glock a bit too much. Pic's been much more impressive all year long, given he's a rookie.

Glock's solid. A number 1 in a low-end team, a dependable number 2 anywhere else. A poor man's Webber, essentially.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 24 September 2012 - 08:21.

#29 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:46

Timo has become a father!

He posted this on his Twitter:

Richtig!!! Ich bin seit ein paar Wochen stolzer Papa von unserem kleinen Sohn Mika!!! :-)

Congratulations to him and wishing the family all the best

Edited by Richard T, 22 March 2013 - 15:46.

#30 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:54

Cool. Now he just needs a seat, instead of a mule like Chilton.

#31 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:59

Mika glock. Sounds like one of the Transformers.