Photo

Petition to BAN DRS now...

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 grandelinquent

grandelinquent

• 196 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:11

I think we saw what should have been a classic finish to the 2011 Canadian GP marred by DRS. Passing in the middle of the straight before the braking zone is not passing. DRS actually reduces real overtaking because the pass takes place before the battle even begins. Schumacher and Kobayashi were denied their rightful finishing positions.

If we can amass enough fan input here hopefully we can show the FIA this is not the Grand Prix "racing" fans want to see. The Pirelli tyres alone are enough to spice up the racing.

Advertisement

#2 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:13

Was shocking viewing.

THe 2013 aero changes have been dumped for this crap.

#3 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:13

I has been a DRS supporter, but on tracks where overtaking is already possible (like Turkey or Canada) it is way too powerfull.
It was about right at Barcelona. Help the guy behind to get a run, but dont make him pass halfway down the straight.

Edited by jk, 12 June 2011 - 21:13.

#4 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:14

Stupid thread, close it down. There are many others.

#5 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:15

Are you kidding? If anything, today showed that dry races with DRS make for far better viewing(overall) than wet races. There was little to no overtaking when DRS was disabled.

Edited by Seanspeed, 12 June 2011 - 21:15.

#6 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

It was frustrating watching the "battles", DRS makes the leading driver a sitting duck...

#7 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Are you kidding? If anything, today showed that dry races with DRS make for far better viewing(overall) than wet races.

What is good about cars driving clean around the outside of others ? It is destroying racing and racecraft. Schumacher was a sitting duck.

Edited by Ali_G, 12 June 2011 - 21:16.

#8 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Ban it now.

Or at least only one zone.

#9 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:16

It's all too Mario Kart.

#10 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

It's all too Mario Kart.

Cars will be firing shells next.

#11 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

I think we saw what should have been a classic finish to the 2011 Canadian GP marred by DRS. Passing in the middle of the straight before the braking zone is not passing. DRS actually reduces real overtaking because the pass takes place before the battle even begins. Schumacher and Kobayashi were denied their rightful finishing positions.

If we can amass enough fan input here hopefully we can show the FIA this is not the Grand Prix "racing" fans want to see. The Pirelli tyres alone are enough to spice up the racing.

:rotfl:

Or they could use DRS to repass! I know right, what an idea! Passing! pffffffff so un-F1 :p

#12 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:19

DRS was far to long it should have been half the final straight only and cars would have been side by side almost going into the chicane

#13 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:20

drs is so artificial - how any true fan could prefer the drs to help pass than the 3 way fight we were looking at and shwoing skill, not pushing a button, is beyond me

#14 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:21

drs is so artificial - how any true fan could prefer the drs to help pass than the 3 way fight we were looking at and shwoing skill, not pushing a button, is beyond me

It was the helplessness of MS which got me.

I seriously can't believe that the FIA have dumped the 2013 aero regulations in favour of this hideous stop gap measure.

#15 pit5bul

pit5bul

• 813 posts

Im sorry guys but DRS made the racing better... f1 is so based on aerodynamics that its extremely hard to overtake.. DRS allows a faster car to be able to overtake at the right time.. thus making it safer ( less accidents ) and represents the true speed of the field ( remember Alonso behind Petrov last year ? - it was a disgrace that a championship was decided by the fact that all tho Alonso was alot more faster in that stage of the race but got blocked ).. you got a faster car... you can pass

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

What is good about cars driving clean around the outside of others ? It is destroying racing and racecraft. Schumacher was a sitting duck.

He was slower. Thats why he was in a position to be passed in the first place. And as we saw with Webber, getting passed wasn't an inevitability.

#17 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:22

Right, and you prefer the Trulli train with cars unable to pass each other due to dirty air for 2+ hours.

If the cars are the problem and there's a solution to it, then racecraft be damned.

#18 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:23

He was slower. Thats why he was in a position to be passed in the first place. And as we saw with Webber, getting passed wasn't an inevitability.

He was slower. Why does that give the following a right to drive clean around him while in reality, even if aero was sorted, the advantage at the end of the straight wouldn't be anything close to what it was due to the DRS.

It was appauling viewing.

#19 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

I couldn't agree less! DRS provided us with that thrilling finale.

Advertisement

#20 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

OMG DONT BAN DRS : U NOOB OR WE WILL SeE NO OVERTAKING. MODS DELETE THIS THREAD

ACCORDING TO RTL 89% OF ALL F1 USERS LIKE DRS. SO CLOSE

Edited by fololo, 12 June 2011 - 21:23.

#21 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Right, and you prefer the Trulli train with cars unable to pass each other due to dirty air for 2+ hours.

If the cars are the problem and there's a solution to it, then racecraft be damned.

Then fix the bloody aero. The 2013 aero regulations would have done it, but they dumped it in favour of this bullshit stop gap measure.

DRS in an abomination.

#22 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:24

Don't ban it, but do reduce the distance on overtaking friendly tracks. It was just too easy today.

The 2 DRS zones, ban this idea.

#23 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

The tyre situation is enough to make a great show this year.

However, we're all in favour of DRS when it favours our team and vice versa.....

#24 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

I don`t like it either... it`s not proper overtaking if the driver ahead has no chance to defend.

#25 levelord

levelord

• 78 posts

Close this thread. Burn thread starter.

#26 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,920 posts

OMG DONT BAN DRS : U NOOB OR WE WILL SeE NO OVERTAKING. MODS DELETE THIS THREAD

ACCORDING TO RTL 89% OF ALL F1 USERS LIKE DRS. SO CLOSE

Huh?

#27 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:25

Im sorry guys but DRS made the racing better... f1 is so based on aerodynamics that its extremely hard to overtake.. DRS allows a faster car to be able to overtake at the right time.. thus making it safer ( less accidents ) and represents the true speed of the field ( remember Alonso behind Petrov last year ? - it was a disgrace that a championship was decided by the fact that all tho Alonso was alot more faster in that stage of the race but got blocked ).. you got a faster car... you can pass

No. That has never been the case in motorsport. It is the job of the chasing car to pass without any Mario Kart gimmicks. If they can't do it, tough luck. If you had your way every race would finish in this order: RB,RB,MCL,MCL,FER,FER,MER,MER etc.

#28 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:27

Then fix the bloody aero. The 2013 aero regulations would have done it, but they dumped it in favour of this bullshit stop gap measure.

DRS in an abomination.

Oh please, don't give me that ****.

They've been trying to fix it for the last 13 FRIGGIN YEARS, and nothing has happened. So long as you have wings, you'll always have dirty air and so long as you have dirty are, it'll be very hard to pass.

So **** that. IF I have to choose between a line of cars following each other for 2 hours and cars actually overtaking each other, give me the latter any day.

#29 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:27

Ban now. This system is a joke. Its supposed to aid overtaking so your along side? Nope instead you end up infront, great!

#30 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:29

Ban now. This system is a joke. Its supposed to aid overtaking so your along side? Nope instead you end up infront, great!

Well, if they end up in front then that means it aided overtaking. Isn't that the whole bloody idea? :stoned:

#31 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:30

He was slower. Why does that give the following a right to drive clean around him while in reality, even if aero was sorted, the advantage at the end of the straight wouldn't be anything close to what it was due to the DRS.

It was appauling viewing.

As we saw with Webber, it still took a bit of work to get around. Both the outside and inside were wet and Schumacher failed to defend either against Button. I didn't see the instance with Webber once he actually got passed, but overall, nothing looked particularly different than it had all year. If anything, the wetness outside the driving line made passing more dangerous than ever.

Either way, we saw little to no passing when it was wet, but once it started to dry out, passing seemed possible again. It goes back to the argument of whether processional races really bother you, but for me, I'll take a race where overtaking is possible anyday. I'm used to watching bike racing, so I feel no sympathy for a slower driver that doesn't have a full armory of tactics to defend against a faster driver. I think its perfectly fair to see a faster driver given a good shot at passing.

#32 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Oh please, don't give me that ****.

They've been trying to fix it for the last 13 FRIGGIN YEARS, and nothing has happened. So long as you have wings, you'll always have dirty air and so long as you have dirty are, it'll be very hard to pass.

So **** that. IF I have to choose between a line of cars following each other for 2 hours and cars actually overtaking each other, give me the latter any day.

Read up on it. The 2013 regulations were radical including the addition of two Venturi's tunnels. If it worked for CART, which it did, it would have worked in F1.

#33 differential

differential

• 454 posts

So what? Look how long it took Webber to get passed: take away the DRS he wouldnt been that close in the first place.

#34 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Why do F1 fans always focus on the negative?? How could you possibly think about banning DRS after watching Button come from 21st to 1st in 20 odd laps. That was by far the most entertaining race in terms of battle for the lead in recent history. Yet people decide to focus on the DRS.

Cheer up guys, that was a great race :clap:

#35 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:31

As we saw with Webber, it still took a bit of work to get around. Both the outside and inside were wet and Schumacher failed to defend either against Button. I didn't see the instance with Webber once he actually got passed, but overall, nothing looked particularly different than it had all year. If anything, the wetness outside the driving line made passing more dangerous than ever.

Either way, we saw little to no passing when it was wet, but once it started to dry out, passing seemed possible again. It goes back to the argument of whether processional races really bother you, but for me, I'll take a race where overtaking is possible anyday. I'm used to watching bike racing, so I feel no sympathy for a slower driver that doesn't have a full armory of tactics to defend against a faster driver. I think its perfectly fair to see a faster driver given a good shot at passing.

I dunno what race you were watching. There was plenty of action in the wet.

#36 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:31

So what? Look how long it took Webber to get passed: take away the DRS he wouldnt been that close in the first place.

The whole point, is that without the aero disadvantage, Webber wouldn't have driven around Schumacher.

#37 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:32

DRS didn't help Button. It only helps when you are stuck behind a slow car, like Shuey.

#38 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:32

I don`t like it either... it`s not proper overtaking if the driver ahead has no chance to defend.

its definetly fake..

people think its ok because the car behind goes faster but what if it was reversed and the car infront had a flap that lifted up slowing them down by around 12KMH its the exact same effect and the exact same advantage to the car behind but you know damn well everyone would be screaming its B*******

DRS didn't help Button. It only helps when you are stuck behind a slow car, like Shuey.

how did it not help him? it takes skill to pass a car without DRS with a DRS it doesnt matter how crap your race craft is your turned into an overtaking master....

Edited by arknor, 12 June 2011 - 21:33.

#39 dutchie

dutchie

• 118 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:34

If we're going to keep it then it at least needs serious tweaking at tracks like Turkey and Canada. It has helped make certain races more watchable but it was nothing short of a joke today. What was a very tense, nervy race turned into a farce by allowing the drivers to pass eachother halfway down the straight AND allow them to use it on the pit straight as well.

Having said that, drives like we've seen from Webber and Button this season are also assisted by DRS. So no need to get it rid of it but in need of serious evaluation, in my opinion.

Advertisement

#40 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Don't ban it but it needs to be fine tuned so it doesn't give too much of an advantage. Hopefully next year we'll see it implemented properly.

#41 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

It's clear on the 2nd to last lap that Button significantly gained from DRS usage down the back straight and the front straight.

#42 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:36

It's clear on the 2nd to last lap that Button significantly gained from DRS usage down the back straight and the front straight.

It just goes to show if you artificially mess with things its as bad as it is good, it spoilt the finish to that race.

#43 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:36

Hush now. And don't be silly.

#44 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:38

Well, if they end up in front then that means it aided overtaking. Isn't that the whole bloody idea? :stoned:

NO. Did you read my post properly? Its meant to make it such that you're along side going into a corner, not already passed him.

#45 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,908 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:38

It just goes to show if you artificially mess with things its as bad as it is good, it spoilt the finish to that race.

Well, it certainly affected the end of the race. Button fans will love DRS temporarily and Vettel and MS fans will hate. I personally just hate it as it's fake as ****.

#46 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:39

Nothing more crappy and artificial than two "cars" on a straight line whereby suddenly the one in front looks like a stationary duck and the one behind zooms past at the speed of sound.

Ridiculous. Whatever the hell it is, racing it isn't.

#47 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:40

Well, it certainly affected the end of the race. Button fans will love DRS temporarily and Vettel and MS fans will hate. I personally just hate it as it's fake as ****.

:up:

#48 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:40

Im with you. Even if it was benefitting my fav driver, id still hate it. Its not real racing, there is not much passion into that overtake as there would be without DRS - its meant to be an achivement, instead its aided by this joke of a tool.

Edited by differential, 12 June 2011 - 21:40.

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:41

:stoned: There I was being all excited when actually the race was being spoiled in front of my very eyes.

No matter what the ethics, or whatever, of the drag reduction system are, this is at least the quality of "racin'" F1 should provide. If the FIA can provide it in a more elegant and organic manner, then obviously that would be fantastic. But you've got to admit this is the most exciting Grand Prix racing we've had in ages.

#50 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:42

I am old fashioned I don't like artificial gimmicks like DRS.
But if it what the younger generations enjoy and is to stay, better not make the DRS zone almost a quarter of the track. The leading driver really hasn't got even a chance to defend. So much artificial speed difference is ridiculous.